BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

Pages PREV 1 . . . 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 . . . 43 NEXT

Eh, don't know if I buy it entirely. 'Hey... we'll just throw this new guy in there for the hell of it?' Whatever, I guess it's possible. I just don't care anymore. Whatever the reasons are I still think launch day DLC is fucking stupid.

Zeel:

gigastar:

Zeel:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I get it, man. I was thinking you wanted to discuss something but no, you just wanted to tell me something COMPLETELY KNOWN TO EVERYONE ON THE GOD DAMN UNIVERSE. THANK YOU PROFESSOR! I DIDNT KNOW I COULDNT BRAIN-CONTROL PEOPLE INTO NOT BUYING THE GAME. THANK YOu. Here I was actually fucking trying to do it. Thanks though. I wonder, can I fly? has that been proven to work? Seeing as clearly you are some sort of physicists/biologist professor badass. Can I ask you a question about quantum physics next-Actually, you probably have a class to teach at Harvard. s'long.

your 3rd and last post aren't even worth summarizing.

And rather than admitting that im right you shift back into incoherent and poorly spelled statements in block capitals, then proceeding to the text equivalent of ramming corks into your ears and screaming 'I'm not listening!' until i get bored and go away.

But now i wont go away. I prey on egos like yours for breakfast.

Dude, admit what? I still dont know what you're trying to tell me. Is it that I can't make people not buy the game. Well you know what. I know that already. is there anything else you had to say or are you just wasting more of my time?

Lets have an agreement. You dont bury your point under block capital statements and ill respond to the point where and if appropiate.

Ill take the first step.

Zeel:
Regardless, i'm still pissed that Bioware are planning out DLCs all the way back in november. That is fucking sleazy as hell.

You cant really single out Bioware on thier own for planning DLC's prior to release. Even now i know that Gearbox is throwing around concepts for Borderlands 2 DLC, that Activision has made plans for map packs in the last 4 Call of Duty's before they even announced it and that Capcom is already in the various later stages of producing DLC for Asura's Wrath, Street Fighter x Tekken and Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City.

Many publishers and developers do it, so dont single out just one of them for doing it.

The.Bard:

Ah yes, Zeel's proof. We have dismissed that claim!

I kinda think I love you for that.

I'm might just get 2 copies of the DLC when it hits net, one for me and one for zeel if only to shut him the fuck up.

Trying to convince people not to buy this particular piece of DLC or any other is absolutely pointless and a waste of effort that could be spent more productively elsewhere. Either people have the disposable income available so that it isn't a big deal for them or they don't and nothing anyone does or says on the internet is going to change that simple fact.

Their level of disposable income will warp their judgement right up to the point that they're inconvenienced and then and only then will they be outraged.

So from from one person who can't stand the thought of day 1 DLC to another, go do something productive with your time. Now that you people know how expensive a Bioware RPG can be you will not be fooled again.

gigastar:

Zeel:

gigastar:

And rather than admitting that im right you shift back into incoherent and poorly spelled statements in block capitals, then proceeding to the text equivalent of ramming corks into your ears and screaming 'I'm not listening!' until i get bored and go away.

But now i wont go away. I prey on egos like yours for breakfast.

Dude, admit what? I still dont know what you're trying to tell me. Is it that I can't make people not buy the game. Well you know what. I know that already. is there anything else you had to say or are you just wasting more of my time?

Lets have an agreement. You dont bury your point under block capital statements and ill respond to the point where and if appropiate.

Ill take the first step.

Zeel:
Regardless, i'm still pissed that Bioware are planning out DLCs all the way back in november. That is fucking sleazy as hell.

You cant really single out Bioware on thier own for planning DLC's prior to release. Even now i know that Gearbox is throwing around concepts for Borderlands 2 DLC, that Activision has made plans for map packs in the last 4 Call of Duty's before they even announced it and that Capcom is already in the various later stages of producing DLC for Asura's Wrath, Street Fighter x Tekken and Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City.

Many publishers and developers do it, so dont single out just one of them for doing it.

I find them all sleazy. Bioware just takes the cake by using lore related DLC to squeeze pennies out of the consumer.

Zeel:

gigastar:

Zeel:

Ill take the first step.

Zeel:

I find them all equally sleazy. Bioware just takes the cake by using lore related DLC to squeeze pennies out of the consumer.

your acting like lore is so important in the grand scheme of things when other then tell you about the past does nothing since he has been out of contact for too long

Zeel:
I draw the line right here. You do not get to remove ESSENTIAL FUCKING content just to ship more fucking collector editions.

Fuck that. Anyone who agrees, send them an email at contact@Bioware.

Hey, genius. They said that this was made after they had already finished the main game, and there was no confirmation that they would actually HAVE it ready for launch date. Even if it took longer for the DLC to be released, the CE people would probably get it free, anyway, not unlike the Saints Row the Third Season Pass that gets them Genkibowl and Gangstas in Space.

They just happened to have the DLC finished by launch date. It's a bit of a nickel-and-dime effort, I know, but the reason they didn't put this on the disk was because they COULDN'T put this on the disk, and because EA most likely wouldn't let them distribute any free content.

Zeel:

gigastar:

Zeel:

Ill take the first step.

Zeel:

I find them all sleazy. Bioware just takes the cake by using lore related DLC to squeeze pennies out of the consumer.

You say that but Capcom has stated that a DLC 'episode' in Asura's Wrath takes place in the interim of the games second time skip. That effectively makes Cyber Connect 2 not much different from bioware in that respect.

Besides if its lore you care about in Mass Effect everything he says, to the word, will probably end up on the Mass Effect wiki within a week of release. Not to mention watching Lets Plays if you really have as much free time as your forum record indicates that you do.

gigastar:

You say that but Capcom has stated that a DLC 'episode' in Asura's Wrath takes place in the interim of the games second time skip. That effectively makes Cyber Connect 2 not much different from bioware in that respect.

Besides if its lore you care about in Mass Effect everything he says, to the word, will probably end up on the Mass Effect wiki within a week of release. Not to mention watching Lets Plays if you really have as much free time as your forum record indicates that you do.

not to mention that Mass Effect is stupidly redundant in its lore, they will tell you the same thing about 8 different times, in 8 different ways, per game just so you CANT miss out on it.

Zeel:

gigastar:

Zeel:

Ill take the first step.

Zeel:

Shit I can't wait until you find out that you only get the epilogue to the trilogy as $20 DLC.

That thread will be Legendary.

SajuukKhar:

gigastar:

not to mention that Mass Effect is stupidly redundant in its lore, they will tell you the same thing about 8 different times, in 8 different ways, per game just so you CANT miss out on it.

Yes, there is that too. Bioware doesnt think we just need to hear about what happened, they think we need to hear about what happened in the view of either side of the event, at least one personal account and a mission report of some kind.

gigastar:

Zeel:

gigastar:

Ill take the first step.

So now you're just coming up with excuses. Is it wrong or not? stop dancing around the issue.

SajuukKhar:

gigastar:

hey, you didn't answer my question back like 2 pages ago.

OH NOZ! People buying the Collectors Edition are getting more stuff than the people playing $20 less! ZOMG what is the world coming to!?!??!?!?!

come on people...

"the CE isnt available anywhere! its sold out!!!!!"

I know. I found that out the hard way. Its my fault for not putting some money down earlier. A whole $10 to place a pre-order on a CE edition which I could downgrade or cancel entirely and get a refund if i didnt like the demo or the reviews that came out...

seriously people. can we use, as Hercule Poirot would say, 'our grey cells?'

Zeel:

gigastar:

Zeel:

So now you're just coming up with excuses. Is it wrong or not? stop dancing around the issue.

It is wrong, but you cant single out just Bioware for it. Thats about as straight as i can make it come out through my fingers.

Oh dear. I read almost the whole thread, and I must say that I never laughed so much. This thread will be legendary, so I'll post here in order to be a part of it. So much drama, so many opinions! I just don't understand why do some people (whom I will not name, but it starts with "Z-" and ends with "-eel" [hehe, eel]) spend so much time arguing on the internet about this, despite the fact that the game is out in 10 days and when it gets out, we'll know the truth. No, argue on the internet!

Obligatory Mass Effect reference sentence: I am Commander Shepard and this is my favourite thread on the Escapist.

I didnt see your question two pages back Zeel.

I dont spend most of my time on here and am playing games.

Oh sweet baby Jesus, I leave this thread for a couple of hours and now it's almost at the 900 post milestone? Jesus, people are really pissed about this aren't they?

Zeel:
You just gaggle like a bunch
of headless chickens. cluck, cluck, bioware, cluck cluck, me3, cluck, insignificant, cluck, cluc-fuckity-cluck cluck.

...and you wonder why people don't take you seriously? Reread this and try to see why your point doesn't reach us.

it may be cut content it may be important but all we have is hearsay or random posts from bioware till we get the game and someone looks truogh the files or downloads the dlc and see how big it is we won't know which side is right we may all be wrong

I think he went to bed. Finally.

Jeez, this guy is really making a name for himself on this site.

Also I just checked, a couple hundred more posts and this thread will be in the top 5 hottest threads of the YEAR.

Ah, well. The year just started, really. I'm sure we'll have much more really big topics to argue about in the next 9 months. :)

TopazFusion:

erttheking:
Jeez, this guy is really making a name for himself on this site.

His post count has quadrupled - that's right QUADRUPLED - since the start of this thread.

Why do I not have a hard time believing that? Oh yeah that's right, because when I refreshed when I came back from work it DID quadruple. Seriously, I'm surprised no one has had the ban hammer brought down on their head yet.

Hmm I wish I could say something but I rather not get reported for something stupid. So I won't say it, I will say that Zeel is bringing me laughter for his overzealous reaction to this.

Ahahahaha!

Twenty-four pages later and Zeel is still going strong. This guy should work in EA marketing - he's relentless.

TopazFusion:
This how I imagine Zeel at his PC . . .

That is pretty much accurate based on his track record. Also, if you go into his profile and take a look at the posting history - anyone else seeing some sort of Bioware/EA-related stalking history pattern forming here? 8D

We get it man, you and your proof are undeniable bla bla bla etc. But like I said last time we tango'd, you're not going to get anyone on your side the way you do things. It seems it still hasn't sank in.

I'll be over here, enjoying ME3 and all the DLC - you stay strong, man, and don't let the naysayers tell you your tinfoil hat isn't pretty!

Might as well join this thread to give my two cents...
OK well I'm boycotting Mass Effect 3 not because I believe it's the DLC is unfair but because EA is basically trying to use its position to strong arm consumers into buying more products and abusing its position.
BioWare wouldn't make this DLC if they weren't owned by EA. (That is an assumption going off that the most developers... in fact all aren't this abusive of customers.) The argument that they shouldn't release DLC first day is because they spent time instead of developing this game but instead on the DLC. Now even if they say they finished the game then worked on the DLC... Well why isn't the game out before the DLC was finished... why is the programming team working on the DLC when they could be fixing bugs on the "finished product". Well it's not finished if they didn't release it yet now is it? Why haven't they released the "finished product" when it's in their interest to get the most money quickly to reinvest into their company (EA). It is because they want to get more money out of the consumer. Which isn't bad but its damn unethical when they release a finished product with extra content separate that could easily influence the story.
Next main point and here is the big one ORIGEN. Now you must have ORIGEN to play ME3 on PC, essentially they are forced more software down consumer's throats. That is annoying and obvious they want more people to use a horrible online retailer so they can try to get you to by more of their non discounted games that they don't have to share in the retail price as with other competitors aka steam. So they block steam for selling ME3 so they don't have to share sales, when they could of easily let steam sell it for 60 bucks and used an ethical way to get people to try Origen like I don't know charge 55 bucks on Origen. I would totally take that incentive and buy the game, but no its just EA in the end trying to strong arm the market and get as much money out of the consumer as possible and I'm not having any of that. So go ahead and by the game, its your money, but remember when you buy this game EA will get the picture that they can keep pushing its consumers more and more little by little, and I'm not even going to try to guess what's next.

Sorry about spelling or grammar, truly sorry, that is why I'm an Economy major and not English

The Human Torch:

INF1NIT3 D00M:
Snip.

Short answer: I like ponies!

Long answer: I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY like ponies!

Okay, more serious now (still loving the horse analogy, even if it's not entirely correct):
I am not saying that EA is not acting like a complete arsehole, they are completely devoid of any moral and consciousness and show next to no respect for their target audience.

However, the whole horse minus the saddle example that you brought up, is not entirely the way it happened with the Mass Effect DLC. See my following points:
1: Someone accidentally put it up on X-Box Live, so if that never happened, no one would have even known.
2: It's "free", with the collector's edition. Like many other CE's, you get a lot of extra content, but that's what you pay extra for. World of Warcraft has pets with every CE, the Prothean is similar to that, in a way that it's 'cosmetical', it has no impact on the story, but just another addition to the team. The game is not incomplete without the Prothean. It's just a very shiny and rare team-member.

If you don't want to shelf out an extra 20 bucks for the collector's edition, but do want the Prothean, EA is giving you the CHOICE of paying 10 bucks for it, on release day. If having a Prothean on your team is a big deal, then this is for you.

Whether or not the Prothean DLC is worth $10 is an individual decision, seeing as how plenty of people bought that horse DLC for Dragon Age, for some a few bucks for something cosmetical is not a big deal.

Again, your game experience is not lessened by the lack of a Prothean, but it can be enhanced if you want. And color me interested. :)

Almost, but not quite right. I would say that a squad mate, its dialogue options (even if few ones) and a mission are not just cosmetic. Cosmetic is a new suit of armor or skins for weapons. Even exclusive weapons are not just cosmetic, but most people seems to be OK with that.

Good, bad, important to the main plot or not, we are talking about gameplay here and not just the dog that follows you around or the pets in WOW.

I agree that EA is giving us a choice here - for ten bucks more you can have all gameplay content we produced for the game up to this date. Compared with what was on offer in the past (free Zaheed) and what's on offer from the competition (free update for the expanded edition for the Witcher 2) this is a terrible option.

From a consumer point of view, day 1 DLC is one of the worst ways to launch your game.
1. For some the game will feel incomplete (and that's subjective so you cannot say that that person is completely wrong),
2. for some it will look like a tentative to milk the fans' cash...
3. and to others it will feel like an opportunity.

The success of this initiative will be measured by how many people will identify with number 3.

The.Bard:
Wow, still going strong, guys?

We're at war. No one wants to admit it, but you-manity is under attack. One very specific Prothean DLC might be all that stands between you-manity and the greatest threat of our brief existence... troll husks.

You make this thread so much better.

Also, I discovered the next bit of their DLC plans! I am going to spoiler it so you it isnt ruined for anyone, and just for the record I am some bioware developer person.

I hope this doesn't blow anyones minds with how important and story critical it is.

Edit: Holy shit, 27 pages and a dozen insults thrown by Zeel, its pretty obvious the mods aren't doing their jobs

animehermit:

I in no way intended my post to be condescending, only informative.

ANd why would Bioware expect a shitstorm? They did the exact same thing in DA1 and no one so much as made a sound.

Okay. Maybe it was the overall tone of this thread and the "curse of contextless text" that made it seem that way. If that was not your intention, I apologize for insinuating as much.

As for Dragon Age, people did raise a slight ruckus after the fact. But, the Dragon Age instance had the fortune of having it's day-one DLC revealed on...well...day-one. Mass Effect 3's was revealed early. This, if other instances of early revealed day-one DLC are to be an example, tends to make people wonder why there's both the full game and extra content being released side-by-side. Most of the time, this sort of thing always creates an uproar among the fans. So, unless EA is blind to the rest of industry, there's no reason they couldn't see that this sort of thing usually creates controversy. (even if it doesn't affect sales)

Zeel:

dude, you're not doing it as efficiently as possible. Mention Tali or Garrus watch them backpeddle.

True lol, Tali and Garrus aren't even nearly as important as Liara seems to be story wise either.

FelixG:

Edit: Holy shit, 27 pages and a dozen insults thrown by Zeel, its pretty obvious the mods aren't doing their jobs

I think the mods are too blinded by tears of laughter and too busy grabbing their aching stomach at whats happened in this thread to be able to do it.

Shawn112:
As I said up the thread; too many paid marketing whores here.

Hiding behind an fascist meme that amounts to 'buyer beware' is not an opinion, it's paid propaganda.

This site might as well just have a picture of the staff sucking ea off...

I doubt anyone in this thread is being payed. Just because they don't share your opinion =/= they are secret Bioware employees.

that's the kind of argument used by someone who has literally no other possible argument to make.

FelixG:
Holy shit, 27 pages and a dozen insults thrown by Zeel, its pretty obvious the mods aren't doing their jobs

Are you doing your duty by hitting the report button?

SajuukKhar:
that's the kind of argument used by someone who has literally no other possible argument to make.

You could almost say that its a comment a Zeelot would make.

... I'm sorry, I'll be sitting in the corner, alone, if you need me.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 . . . 43 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here