Blizzard Encourages High Hopes For Diablo 3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Jay Wilson of Blizzard says that despite what you may have heard from a certain community manager, Diablo 3 is in great shape and fans should keep their expectations high.

Back in mid-February, Diablo 3 Community Manager Micah "Bashiok" Whiple posted a message on the Battle.net forums suggesting that Diablo fans tone down their hopes for Diablo 3. Part of his job is managing people's expectations, he explained, and he's started to worry that the game just won't be able to meet them.

"Stop thinking about how awesome this game could be. Just imagine it's a new M. Night Shyamalan movie," he wrote. "Sure Sixth Sense was amazing and Unbreakable had its moments, but this right here is the sequel to The Village... or The Happening... or Signs... or any of the movies besides the two I first mentioned. So just like, lower those expectations, but still definitely buy the game please, and everything will be just fine."

His comments were pretty obviously a joke, but that didn't stop some people from taking them seriously - seriously enough that Diablo 3 Director Jay Wilson felt it necessary to release a message of his own reassuring gamers that it will in fact be awesome when it comes out.

"Some of you might have seen some headlines or a certain (obviously sarcastic) blue post that implies that we're unsteady about where Diablo 3 stands, and that you should temper your expectations when it comes to the next installment in the Diablo series," he wrote. "Let me be clear: Nothing could be further from the truth."

"As those of you in the beta have seen, the game is in good shape. Actually, I should say that the beta version of the game is in good shape. The latest full build we've been testing here in the office is in great shape," he continued. "We want you to have high expectations for Diablo 3 and all Blizzard games. That's what pushes us to try to make the best gaming experiences we possibly can. If Diablo 3 wasn't a worthy next installment in the Diablo series, we wouldn't release it."

Wilson also said an announcement of the Diablo 3 release date would be coming "in the near future," but not necessarily "soon."

So, people are taking an obvious joke too seriously and Blizzard is being simultaneously promising and evasive about the release date of its Next Big Game? Sounds like just another day on the internet to me.

I take it they are probably not allowed to make jokes about "buying power" however.

I think Micah Whiple has the right idea. People going into Diablo 3 with the view Jay Wilson is promoting are likely to be disappointed. Odds are good that it simply will not be the greatest game of all time. Do the math. But realistic expectations could lead to people saying, "Wow! This is really fun."

i already tempered my expectations long ago when they announced the always online drm.

You still have to play online for single player, correct? My hopes remain low, and my wallet remains firmly in pocket.

Well, my expectations will apparently be too high for them: to be able to play a single-player game offline and, I don't know, pause it when I need to.

As an old WoW player, I'm going to trust Bashiok. Because Bashiok is a deity. True Story

Oh Jay.

Replace Todd Howard's head with Jay Wilson's.

Felix Benandex:
i already tempered my expectations long ago when they announced the always online drm.

Actually, this is one of the few games where it makes sense to me. Who knows, with some luck there won't be as much duping and hacking as the last few games.

Having played the beta, my expectations were significantly lowered. WoW was Diablo II with the camp of Warcraft. Diablo III is WoW with a Diablo 2 overhaul. Entirely meh.

Felix Benandex:

A bit of a pet peeve for me here, but it really is not about piracy, so it's not DRM. It's about trying to make the real money auction house a viable source of income. Extra Credits Said it best I think in this episode.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-diablo-iii-marketplace

That being said, I can still understand the anger about the requirement of always being online. But it's not DRM.

Can't say I have any expectations of this game, planned on installing it on my laptop and playing when I had nothing better to do, which is usually away from an internet connection.
The DRM killed that.. so blah.

Meh my expectation is already being use for a different game but I still somewhat looking forward to it once it is actually out.

High hopes, just not for it coming out any time soon.

Blizzard dancing around committing to a release date?

What a Twist!

The gameplay I've seen looks fine, but none of the D3 characters grab my interest. I assume from Wilson's comment they're keeping the cool classes under wraps until the game is released?

There's nothing wrong with being excited about a game's release, but I think a little caution on the fans' part goes a long way towards enjoying the final product. It's very easy for a solid game to fall flat when it doesn't live up to expectations. This isn't to say that expectations should be depressed, just moderated.

Not buying this game is going to drive me crazy. I've passed on games I've been iffy about before, but never one I wanted this badly. But always online = no money from me.

That said, I have every confidence that Blizzard will deliver. Blizzard didn't get to where it is today by being lucky.

Hungry Donner:
The gameplay I've seen looks fine, but none of the D3 characters grab my interest. I assume from Wilson's comment they're keeping the cool classes under wraps until the game is released?

Uh.. No. The 5 characters that have been revealed - Demon Hunter, Witch Doctor, Barbarian, Wizard and Monk - are the only classes that will be featured in the game. That doesn't mean expansions won't bring more to the table, but for now, 5 is all you get.

Hammeroj:

Hungry Donner:

Uh.. No. The 5 characters that have been revealed - Demon Hunter, Witch Doctor, Barbarian, Wizard and Monk - are the only classes that will be featured in the game. That doesn't mean expansions won't bring more to the table, but for now, 5 is all you get.

That was a joke. ;) Clearly there are no hidden characters, which means I can't actually keep my expectations as high as Wilson suggests - at least not without being disappointed.

Hungry Donner:

Hammeroj:

Hungry Donner:

That was a joke. ;) Clearly there are no hidden characters, which means I can't actually keep my expectations as high as Wilson suggests - at least not without being disappointed.

: |

Well, now I just feel stupid. My justification is that I've seen things way more ignorant than that being posted round the forums.

Hammeroj:
: |

Well, now I just feel stupid. My justification is that I've seen things way more ignorant than that being posted round the forums.

Between the Olympic feats of ignorance one can find on the internet, and the difficulty of relaying tone trough the medium, I think it's an understandable mistake. :)

Andy Chalk:
Not buying this game is going to drive me crazy. I've passed on games I've been iffy about before, but never one I wanted this badly. But always online = no money from me.

That said, I have every confidence that Blizzard will deliver. Blizzard didn't get to where it is today by being lucky.

I agree with you totally. I loved Diablos 1 and 2, I'm sure I'd love Diablo 3. I have no doubts it's going to be an awesome game. But online for a single player game? Sure, for the multiplayer part it makes sense, but not for the single player campaign. Having no desire to play online, it's just something that might prevent me from playing when I want, with no control over whether I can play or not, and with no say in when it stops being playable altogether in the future.

Sorry, Ubisoft went that way, and we can all see how very wonderfully that went for everyone.

I can actually have high hopes for Diablo 3 now? That must mean they've scrapped the necessity for a constant internet connection for single player, right? 'Cause that was pretty much the only thing stopping me before.

I just wish they'd state that a bit more definitively so I can go ahead and look into making a pre-order.

uh huh ... well, hard to have expectations when the release date is still in question, at this point good luck prying me from ToR when it dose finally drop

Andy Chalk:

...I think I actually agree with you. This feels... unusual.

But exactly what this man said people. Blizzard are good and the game will be brilliant, but if they insist on having a single player game always online, my money is going somewhere else.

Wilson also said an announcement of the Diablo 3 release date would be coming "in the near future," but not necessarily "soon."

The only game company I know of that can make people anxious about the day when the release date isfucking announced, is Blizzard...

JUST FUCKING RELEASE IT ALREADY. I AM SICK OF HEARING ABOUT ANYTHING D3 THAT ISN'T A "It is coming out on..."!!!!!

*skip to 43 seconds*

He forgot to add where you shouldn't get your hopes up because no one knows when the game is coming out. He also forget to tell you that you shouldn't get attached to the game until well after it's out and Battle.net is fully acclimated to the game, so you probably won't be able to play it. Also, there is a small probability of you being accused of gold selling for not good reason and you will lose access to your account for a short amount of time (or maybe forever, who knows, no one can know).

Then the other guys correction would go something like this. It'll be out soon, don't worry! And battle.net is the sweetest thing on the interwebs, so don't worry! And don't worry (!) about gold selling, as long as we get our cut, your account is safe.

Andy Chalk:

my sentiments exactly. I was ready to kick down another door when I saw this thread, but that says enough. the game play will be fine (great, probably), but always-online single player is a massive deal breaker for reasons I've already thrown around the forum.

So lets assume they fail to hit the bar on this one and you end up getting crack cocaine rather than Crystal Meth, you're not going to notice the difference or even remember this whole event once your brain melts under an endless waves of 'click click click click click'.

Why are Blizzard even saying this? Everyone and their dog knows that Blizzard games are always of the highest quality, and always sell big.

Man, seriously, if you worked for me and you publically compared any product of mine to an M. Night Shyamalan movie (especially THOSE movies), you'd be cleaning out your desk by day's end. You're supposed to make the public WANT to buy my stuff.

Diablo III is isometric, Diablo-themed WOW with real money in the marketplace.

Eric the Orange:

Felix Benandex:

A bit of a pet peeve for me here, but it really is not about piracy, so it's not DRM. It's about trying to make the real money auction house a viable source of income. Extra Credits Said it best I think in this episode.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-diablo-iii-marketplace

That being said, I can still understand the anger about the requirement of always being online. But it's not DRM.

you can say its not DRM, but you would be lieing to yourself.

If you wanted to make the real money marketplace viable you just dont let offline characters connect to the battlenet.

It is pure DRM to fuck over the single player gaming experience. "Oh you dont care about the online marketplace and just want to play your game? Well too bad, take the DRM stick up your ass."

Yeah, considering the more I hear about this fucking game the more I have to convince myself that I even want the piece of shit in the first place I am gonna go ahead and say fuck off Blizzard. Stop dicking us around and just put the fucking shitty Torchlight wannabe out before I lose interest altogether when Torchlight 2 comes out.

Andy Chalk:

Yeah. It was a mix of luck and straight up plagiarism. But still a whole fucking assload of luck.

Andy Chalk:

So that they can crush them harder?

I jest, I jest... ..Put those pitchforks and burning torches down! Aahhh!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here