(Free) DLC Infiltrating Gotham City Impostors

(Free) DLC Infiltrating Gotham City Impostors

Not only are there new outfits and a new map incoming, but there's even a katana for you to take to a gun fight (which is way more effective than a knife).

Gamers have been embracing Gotham City Impostors since it was recently released. Developer Monolith, as a way of saying "thanks" for all the support, is putting out some free DLC for everyone to enjoy.

The free DLC pack has a little bit of everything. There are outfits for you to dress your impostor with - including Ninja and Luchador themes - a new level called "The 25th Floor" and a bunch of new weapons. The weapons are actually pretty substantial: There's a gas trap that requires you to eat some beans and then fart out a toxic cloud, a pistol that can be modded into a full-auto handgun, and a katana that can also deflect bullets (meaning it can be used to get you up close and personal with an enemy and then cut them down).

The DLC should already be available on XBLA today, but a release date for PC and PS3 has yet to be announced. Hopefully it'll be soon.

Source: Gotham City Impostors

Always good to see some free DLC.
But I can only see that Katana being ridiculously OP.

Y'know... I wasn't going to get this game originally when it was announced, then the beta was released and my wife downloaded it on PS3.
Ever since I've been playing it. I love this game and the free DLC is just another reason to love it.
Sure its derivative of the CoD Modern Warfare series, but it doesn't take itself seriously and is a lot of fun to play. And the custom classes aren't OP at all. I just wish they'd allow players to jump in games that are unbalanced. Other than that great game.

Looks fun. Seems to be a bit like Team Fortress 2. Is it?

Also, their new fart weapon made me realize that there is a bunch of games that have farts incorporated in them.

Are you watching this BioWare?

"He who smelt it, is easier to shoot in the face"
I fell off my chair when I heard that lol.

hazabaza1:

Trust me, its not. Its very easy if you attack them from around the stomach down.

This is the only FPS out there that I bought as soon as it came out, right after buying the demo. It's nice to see a chill FPS game out there, one that doesn't take itself very seriously and still manages to be fun.

I've been begging for a game like for years, but people kept thinking I was asking for a game that made fun of war. No, THIS is what I meant.

So I'd like to take a moment to point out WB games stole my idea. From inside my head. So you're welcome, world.

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOL-

*Ahem*

It's great to see that the developers are giving the fans constant support and free content.

Wait, hold that thought, I think I'll boot up the PS3 and play a few more rounds.

Too bad this is a GFWL Game, I was seriously considering to get it, but not if I need that monstrocity to play it.

this game looks awesome is it on steam?

I wonder if that fix to make the matchmaking not completely worthless is gonna be there?

henritje:
this game looks awesome is it on steam?

It is on Steam, but it used GFWL to do the matchmaking, which last time I checked was completely broken. Damn shame, I wanna play this really bad.

WanderingFool:

hazabaza1:

Trust me, its not. Its very easy if you attack them from around the stomach down.

Well, maybe for a skilled player it's easy, to be honest I tend to think this weapon is going to be death to scrubs and cause a lot of them to quit the game in frustration rather than sticking with it to learn now to be scrubs.

It seems to me that they are acheiving a substantial amount of success with this underdog of a product, but are going to ruin it before it even really hits it's stride. The game already apparently had balance issues and this pack seems like dropping fuel onto the fire.

free dlc's with costumes and weapons. Will They be bankrupt by the end of the year?

Now all they need to do is add a standing game lobby so it's easier to manage a party. And then it'd be even better.

Therumancer:

WanderingFool:

hazabaza1:

Well, maybe for a skilled player it's easy, to be honest I tend to think this weapon is going to be death to scrubs and cause a lot of them to quit the game in frustration rather than sticking with it to learn now to be scrubs.

It seems to me that they are acheiving a substantial amount of success with this underdog of a product, but are going to ruin it before it even really hits it's stride. The game already apparently had balance issues and this pack seems like dropping fuel onto the fire.

Not sure where the balance issues are...but I'm fairly sure the katana is one of them close range weapons. Easily countered by shotguns, assault rifles, heavy weapons and the hatchet. And maybe the impact explosive.

Thyunda:
Now all they need to do is add a standing game lobby so it's easier to manage a party. And then it'd be even better.

Therumancer:

WanderingFool:

Not sure where the balance issues are...but I'm fairly sure the katana is one of them close range weapons. Easily countered by shotguns, assault rifles, heavy weapons and the hatchet. And maybe the impact explosive.

It deflects bullets. A guy with a Katana can ignore gun fire from the front and run into melee for really high damage kills. The point being made is that the bullet protection only affects the head/torso and someone could switch to the lower body regions to shoot someone running at them with the Katana, my point is that while for some players that might be easy I don't think it's going to be the case for the run of the mill players.

Now yes, your probably correct that there are situational weapons that can trump it, but there is the big question as to how often someone is going to have those weapons handy. In a game like this you can't always be prepared in case someone has the katana.

Basically bullet deflection of that sort really probably shouldn't be in the game. If it works it's OP, if it doesn't work it's pointless and they might as well not have bothered. It's an all or nothing situation. From what we've seen this appears to be more in the game busting catagory.

Oddly it seems to me that they took the idea from EYE: Divine Cybermancy, where yes... it does make melee overpowering through a lot of the game. It tends to work largely because the game is first and foremost a single player affair with the multi-player being kind of a wonky affair that causes as much trouble as it solves (200 player co-op and stuff like that that exists largely "because we could do it").

Looks like i'll be saving up my costume coins and unlock points. I'll be getting the pistol, Katana, toxic gas. Too bad nimble fingers is a fun fact 1 one though, if it was a fun fact 2, it would have made my stealth character complete because I could have nimble fingers and wallflower.

Therumancer:

Thyunda:

Therumancer:

It deflects bullets. A guy with a Katana can ignore gun fire from the front and run into melee for really high damage kills. The point being made is that the bullet protection only affects the head/torso and someone could switch to the lower body regions to shoot someone running at them with the Katana, my point is that while for some players that might be easy I don't think it's going to be the case for the run of the mill players.

Now yes, your probably correct that there are situational weapons that can trump it, but there is the big question as to how often someone is going to have those weapons handy. In a game like this you can't always be prepared in case someone has the katana.

Basically bullet deflection of that sort really probably shouldn't be in the game. If it works it's OP, if it doesn't work it's pointless and they might as well not have bothered. It's an all or nothing situation. From what we've seen this appears to be more in the game busting catagory.

Oddly it seems to me that they took the idea from EYE: Divine Cybermancy, where yes... it does make melee overpowering through a lot of the game. It tends to work largely because the game is first and foremost a single player affair with the multi-player being kind of a wonky affair that causes as much trouble as it solves (200 player co-op and stuff like that that exists largely "because we could do it").

I suppose I'd just advise everybody to carry a hatchet at all times. Thrown insta-kill weapon. A bit slow, but then, so's a guy blocking bullets.

is it worth getting? Ive kind of got the multiplayer bug...

the game I mean

DVS BSTrD:
Are you watching this EA?

That was so off-topic it wasn't even funny.

Zeel:
free dlc's with costumes and weapons. Will They be bankrupt by the end of the year?

Valve gave Portal 2 some free DLC and Epic gave Gears 3 some free DLC too so I don't see why it would matter.

Wait...... Something free in Gotham City Imposters? I was under the impression that not only was the game 15 dollars, but you had to pay for everything too!

hazabaza1:

Yes, it seems to be a one hit kill. It also at times it seems that it negates the push back that the game has from being hit by bullets. Though I guess that comes from the in game description that it can be used defensively.

LastGreatBlasphemer:
Wait...... Something free in Gotham City Imposters? I was under the impression that not only was the game 15 dollars, but you had to pay for everything too!

That really isn't true. The only thing that has to be purchased with money/Microsoft points, is a collection of background cards that each have a cartoon depiction of one of the Batman series characters, and a majority of the "floating next to the players head" mascots".

That really only makes up like 1% of the content in the game, though it is only trivial cosmetic stuff, and doesn't impact the game in any way.

All the rest of the stuff, like weapons, background cards, symbols, and catchphrases, are unlocked through playing the game. The costume pieces for the player characters, are purchased with costume coins, which players earn at the end of each match. The better you do, the more coins you get.

I've found it to be a really nice deal for 15 dollars. It is like just buying the multiplayer portion of a COD game, but it is worlds more fun than COD multiplayer. What it fells like is a cross between COD multiplayer and Team Fortress 2. The humor and craziness of it, reminds me of TF2.

vansau:
Snip

It is nice DLC. I love the new costumes, and the new map. Though one of the things they said on their website was that they were going to fix the server problems real soon, and they way it sounded, it sounded like it was going to happen with the DLC, but that is not the case. If anything, the connection problems and game freeze ups have got worse.

One new problem to arise after the DLC, at the end of the match just after it shows the top players, 6 times out of 10, the countdown timer freezes at one second and nothing will happen for about 5 minutes and then finally it will say disconnected from the server, and then I have to load up a new game with new people. It happens to all my friends that play it as well.

Before the DLC, the lag was a minor annoyance, but the lag after the DLC is just insane. Sometimes it is so bad that at times I get killed and I don't know who did it, because shows nobody and even in an enclosed room I can be looking at the direction of where the shooter is hitting me from and there is nobody there. I know it isn't because they are invisible because of the ninja smoke, because being invisible that way disables weapons.

Vault101:
is it worth getting? Ive kind of got the multiplayer bug...

the game I mean

It's quite fun, if you can get passed the lag/server problems they've been having. Even with those problems it is fun to play a couple hours a day. The only comparison I can think of is that it is like a COD shooter with the humor of Team Fortress 2. Then on top of that, you add crazy Batman and Joker costumes on everyday looking cartoony people, with crazy side gadgets. My favorite is the gliding rig. Jump and activate over a vent and hold it to glide high above the map. If you see an enemy player below, while gliding, you can dive-bomb them, which is basically like a strong melee attack. If they are low on health or just one of the smaller class characters, a dive-bomb is usually a one hit kill.

Though, gliders have to watch out for the "anti-air, gnome with a taser" support item, which will shock the person gliding, bring them down to the ground, and keep them stunned for a few seconds. Though, I find that not many players have the "taser gnome" as part of their weapon load-out.

I heard this DLC literally breaks the game... I downloaded it and got some of the weapons, mods and clothes but didnt play a round with the new DLC.

Yyyyeah, thanks but no thanks. The game is fun and all, but it makes me use Windows Live, so I'll pass.

GFWL huh? Yeah gonna have to pass then. I made the mistake of using that horrible excuse for a program when I bought Bullet Storm. My PC still hasn't forgiven me for subjecting it to that horror. I can't blame it; even after I uninstalled it, it still wakes up screaming at times.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here