Website Teases New Baldur's Gate ... Something - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Website Teases New Baldur's Gate ... Something - UPDATED

Whether the clues point to Baldur's Gate 3 or a repackaging of the originals is still anyone's guess.

UPDATE: A report on GameBanshee.com reveals that the upcoming Baldur's Gate announcement will come from Beamdog, a studio founded by BioWare veteran Trent Oster. Previously, Beamdog has worked with companies such as Interplay to develop HD mobile ports. Whether or not that's the secret Baldur's Gate project is still unknown. Beamdog did confirm, however, that it is not related to the new Steam release of Baldur's Gate 2, saying:

"We're not related to the Steam complete edition, I can tell you that much. Other than that, we're hoping to announce something soon."

Original Story:

Something is stirring in the lands of Faerūn, but only scant, cryptic messages left anonymously behind the curtain of Baldur's Gate's ancient website seem to know what. Inspecting the page source of BaldursGate.com reveals a series of messages that have been left commented out by the site's Webmaster, a method generally reserved for a designers' internal notes. Currently, those curious would find the following:

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->

<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. -->

<!-- And then... it returned. Better than it was before. -->

Following those lines in the code is the, well, actual code for what normal people see when they visit the website. After that, one final, somewhat less optimistic message sits nestled at the bottom:

<!-- Love is a lie. Only hate endures. -->

At first, the idea of Baldur's Gate somehow "returning better than it was before" may lead some to the idea of a modern-day third installment-and maybe that's what's coming-but there's more to the puzzle than just the source code.

Steam forum user xruiner89 searched the service's registry, and claims to have found a reference to Baldur's Gate there as well (app number 99140 for anyone who'd like to double-check his work).

Could this mean a re-release of Baldur's Gate on Steam? Perhaps an HD re-release? Perhaps an HD re-release followed by a new sequel? It's difficult, if not impossible to say.

Honestly, I've been around the internet for awhile now, and yet how or why people do things like check the HTML source code for a website promoting a game from 1998 is still beyond me. Still, I can't say that I'm sad someone took the time. Almost any Baldur's Gate news is good news, at least in my book.

Please be a rerelease, please be a rerelease. Not a reboot or a sequel, just an updated visual version of BG2.

Please for the love of god let this be true. Please Yahweh, Allah, Buddha, The dark ones, Cthulu, the lords of flame, the old gods, please let it be true.

Sweet mother of Jesus loving God! a BG3...the possibilities...0_0

Please be true! :D

Don't tease me, Bioware! I can't take it.

Edit:

Soviet Heavy:
Please be a rerelease, please be a rerelease. Not a reboot or a sequel, just an updated visual version of BG2.

I still have my copy of BG2 and I still think it's better than Dragon Age. Rerelease, please!

I don't much see the point in an updated re-release given the immense volume of mods out there that handle everything from cut content to screen resolution - but a return to Faerun would be quite nice...

It's already on GoG!

I also want to know who finds this stuff... are there people who visit webpages every day or so, and check the sourcecode for any updates...

Thinking about it (with my not-very-good-with-computers brain,) I guess people have codes and things that check their favourite websites for updates? Is that feasable?

JADE EMPIRE 2 or never buying another BioWare game again.

Robert Ewing:
Please for the love of god let this be true. Please Yahweh, Allah, Buddha, The dark ones, Cthulu, the lords of flame, the old gods, please let it be true.

Want to start a pan-religious Escapist "Baldurs Gate Returns" prayer group?

BG is already on GoG, don't really need it on Steam, I'd bet on an HD remake with some extras.

so .....

something is happening?

good to know

If there's a Baldur's Gate continuation of any kind, then maybe Neverwinter Nights would be next? I can only hope... and pray... Is

TsunamiWombat:

Robert Ewing:

If there's a Baldur's Gate continuation/update/remake of any kind, then maybe Neverwinter Nights would be next? I can only hope... and pray... Is there room in your prayer group for multiple aims?

ChaosDemon:
If there's a Baldur's Gate continuation of any kind, then maybe Neverwinter Nights would be next? I can only hope... and pray... Is

TsunamiWombat:

Robert Ewing:

If there's a Baldur's Gate continuation/update/remake of any kind, then maybe Neverwinter Nights would be next? I can only hope... and pray... Is there room in your prayer group for multiple aims?

We should probably just make a general "Videogame Miracles" group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

Obsidian are continuing the development through kickstarter?????

OHHHHHH, sweet dreams....

Mike Kayatta:

Honestly, I've been around the internet for awhile now, and yet how or why people do things like check the HTML source code for a website promoting a game from 1998 is still beyond me. Still, I can't say that I'm sad someone took the time. Almost any Baldur's Gate news is good news, at least in my book.

I don't know, how can we be sure this person didn't know where to look? Seems like a pretty big coincidence to me...

While it's a bit too hazy to get any hopes raised at all, they're gonna shoot through the roof as soon as this is even a little bit verified. More Baldur's Gate can never go wrong. Unless they screw it up. Cuz if they do...

Mike Kayatta:
Whether the clues point to Baldur's Gate 3 or a repackaging of the originals is still anyone's guess.

Honestly, I've been around the internet for awhile now, and yet how or why people do things like check the HTML source code for a website promoting a game from 1998 is still beyond me.

I guess you could say they're a little unhinged.

So long as it leads to more Minsc or Xzar and Montaron, I'm in.

Please, oh please, oh please, Earl Boen! Come back as Montaron!

"STOP TOUCHING MEEEE!"

The game needs a complete, fully voiced, HD overhaul. The mod giving it the BG 2 engine doesn't cut it for me. Give me a Dragon Age type Engine with all the original content please.

*squees very loudly indeed*
I would shell out for this as fast I would for another installment of Halflife.

Mass Effect 3 is out next week and now possible news on a new/reimagined Baldur's Gate? Bioware have always been my favourite games developers. Thank you for rewarding our loyalty oh great RPG developers :D

(Before the shit comes my way, I'm not honestly that much of a fanatic, but I do like where this bit of news is going)

ChaosDemon:

A new, Bioware-headed full on Neverwinter Nights game with toolset for limitless content? Oh, I would do dirty, awful, despicable, unforgivable things for Bioware to make that.

I'd LOVE for a new BG:DA for the 360/PS3/WiiU, or even a BG3 for PC.

Why bother though? Didn't they make Dragon Age so they wouldn't need to liscense other people's fantasy universes?

Besides all this is gonna do is piss off all the old fans because there's no way in hell Bioware will keep the same level of depth and complexity the original two had. It'd be Baldur's Gate in name only.

But I still haven't finished Baldur's Gate 1, so what do I know?

Lets hope they don't turn it into an FPS or something

EDIT: There's also this in the site's code:

<!-- Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all. -->

I'm...not sure what to make of this. I really need to finish Baldur's Gate.

I find it hard to believe Bioware would release a sequel to it's starting franchise, without the man who lead the way. James Ohlen has been working on TOR for 6 years, and he doesn't show any signs of leaving that game for a new Baldur's Gate.

In the article, it says the last line in the header comments is:
<!-- Love is a lie. Only hate endures. -->

Not now, it isn't. Now it says:
<!-- Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all. -->

And the bottom, cited as "<!-- Love is a lie. Only hate endures. -->", is now:
<!-- As the silver moon waxes and wanes, so too does life. -->

Obviously... this is evolving.

I seriously need an HD upgrade, or at least something to lessen my "noobiness" to the original game. I refuse to play BG2 until I finish the first BG and I just can't, for the love of me, get into the damned thing.

Also, why release it on Steam?, it's already being sold in GOG with lots of neat stuff.

So your move everyone who said they would boycott Bioware/EA after ME3

spectrenihlus:
So your move everyone who said they would boycott Bioware/EA after ME3

Not gonna FUCKING happen... unless minsc is DLC or something...

If Minsc is DLC I'll LOSE MY MIND! FUCK!

I don't mean to trash them or start a flame war or anything but Bioware isn't really the same company they are when they released the Balders Gate games, so I'd be pretty skeptical of a BG3. Also you should take into account that they continued the Forgotten Realms series with Neverwinter Nights, if anything that was a sequel to the Balders Gate franchise.

What I really want to get at, it's nice that someone took the time to go and find this obscure reference embedded in the code, but is there a way to tell exactly how old it is? Someone posted a wiki link to a pre-production plan for Balders Gate III: The Black Hound back in 2002 that got cancelled. For all we know those commented lines could have been added in 2001 then forgotten, and someone just happened to stumble across it now.

RE: "Love is a Lie, only Hate Endures"

Hatred was/is part of the Divine Portfolio of Bane, Faerunian god of Tyranny, who was slain during the time of troubles (like Bhaal) by the god of honor and courage Torm. Bane later ressurected via mortal/demigod progeny, Ivactu Xvim, erupting out of Xvim who had taken over his church like an Xenomorph out of that one guy in Alien. The plot of BG-BG2 follows the Bhaalspawn, the mortal progeny of Bhaal amongst whom his divine essence is spread. Possible relation/new game re: Bane? Possible reference to Sarevok?

RandV80:
For all we know those commented lines could have been added in 2001 then forgotten, and someone just happened to stumble across it now.

This is actually the first line:

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->

While it is possible that someone added this in 2001 why would they date it like that. Anyway, this intrigues me greatly.

TsunamiWombat:
RE: "Love is a Lie, only Hate Endures"

Hatred was/is part of the Divine Portfolio of Bane, Faerunian god of Tyranny, who was slain during the time of troubles (like Bhaal) by the god of honor and courage Torm. Bane later ressurected via mortal/demigod progeny, Ivactu Xvim, erupting out of Xvim who had taken over his church like an Xenomorph out of that one guy in Alien. The plot of BG-BG2 follows the Bhaalspawn, the mortal progeny of Bhaal amongst whom his divine essence is spread. Possible relation/new game re: Bane? Possible reference to Sarevok?

"Love is a lie, only hate endures" is a Sharran chant. Go read Paul Kemp's Twilight War trilogy.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here