Website Teases New Baldur's Gate ... Something - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Has anyone checked if the domain name for Baldursgate3.com is used or reserved by bioware? It appears to be available at the moment; http://www.sedo.co.uk/search/details.php4?domain=baldursgate3.com&language=e&et_sub=23&partnerid=14460&et_cid=13&et_lid=17473&origin=parking but that's just a 2 second google search on my account.

Surely if there was a third one they would buy up the domain name for it.

And a million fanboys squealed with joy before being burned from existence. BioWare is a cruel mistress if not a demon.

Ah yes, the grand honoured tradition among Bioware fans of reading deeper meaning into the slightest message. "There will be no meaningless stat-games in Mass Effect 3" is code for "You will press one button to win"; "The least favourite part of my job is playing games" actually means "I want to strip out all the gameplay and replace it more with anime love plots", and now, a few random lines in the style of old D&D games means a whole new Baldur's Gate game.

If I were a Bioware webmaster, I would only make posts at times whose digits correspond to numbers significant to the Illuminati, purely for shits and giggles.

I jizzed bricks.
Bioware, how could I doubt you?

Interesting, my immediate point would be that the "leak" could very well have started with the devs who put it there, just to make sure someone noticed. Part of how ARGs and similar stunts sells products is by promoting the perception that there is such a fanatical fan base that someone just happened to notice the obscure threads leading to it. It's also why it's so comparitively rare for someone the materials for an ARG to be discovered BEFORE things are finished, which would happen if people were really looking close enough for those obscure first hints to be found in many cases. When they are done, someone in the community "finds" the first step, it goes viral, and usually nobody can point a finger at where specifically it began.

In short, I think this is pretty much Bioware drawing our attention to breadcrumbs. I'd suspect there is an ARG active, or in the works, and that's either an initial key, a hint to something hidden on the site or in it's code, or simple a roundabout way of launching a viral teaser to get fans ready for a more overt event annoucement.

I'll also say that this could be a case of offhanded advertising for another game, with the guys at Turbine hacking into Bioware's site and promoting this, assuming that the shared D&D/Forgotten Realms liscence doesn't give them some kind of contractual access at this point.

Look at it this way, we JUST had it annouced that DDO is going to The Forgotten Realms, a setting with a MUCH larger following than Eberron ever likely had. Something which they are trying to sell $80 pre-order/quickstart packs for. Not too long after we see that annoucement we start seeing teaser about realmslore on the generally forgotten site of what is arguably the most popular Forgotten Realms game of all time (I'm reluctant to say D&D game because of the popularity of Toement and it's enduring fan base, and the qualifier is because I know Neverwinter Nights can be compared to Baldur's Gate in terms of lasting appeal and followers).

Only time will tell, but right now I suspect it's an ARG, odds are it's coming from Bioware, but given that their hands are full, I wouldn't be shocked it if somehow goes back to Turbine given their current liscences.

I'd love a rerelease of the first two on consoles. Enough other franchises are already doing it. I miss those games so but I already have the 360, just gimme the disc. I don't care if it's updated one iota. I just wanna play them again. Though a third installment would be pretty sweet, I likely wouldn't get to play it unless it somehow made its way to consoles, and either way I'd be far more skeptical of games I already know kick ass.

Dwarfare:

ChaosDemon:

If there's a Baldur's Gate continuation/update/remake of any kind, then maybe Neverwinter Nights would be next? I can only hope... and pray... Is there room in your prayer group for multiple aims?

A new, Bioware-headed full on Neverwinter Nights game with toolset for limitless content? Oh, I would do dirty, awful, despicable, unforgivable things for Bioware to make that.

Terrible, awful, filthy, depraved things... there would be very few levels I wouldn't sink to if it meant a new NWN...

No sir, I'm not also in this for a fully voiced, high definition Teifling...

Dwarfare:

ChaosDemon:

If there's a Baldur's Gate continuation/update/remake of any kind, then maybe Neverwinter Nights would be next? I can only hope... and pray... Is there room in your prayer group for multiple aims?

A new, Bioware-headed full on Neverwinter Nights game with toolset for limitless content? Oh, I would do dirty, awful, despicable, unforgivable things for Bioware to make that.

Terrible, awful, filthy, depraved things... there would be very few levels I wouldn't sink to if it meant a new NWN...

No sir, I'm not also in this for a fully voiced, high definition Teifling...

If anything comes of this, I'd rather it be a new game than a rerelease or HD update. Due to the hand drawn environments, the game already looks gorgeous even today(especially today with higher resolutions and the widescreen mod), and any attempt to change the art would just be making it different rather than better. The original also has a host of mods available and that's only going to get better as GemRB(an open source implementation of the Infinity Engine) continues development.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want D&D games to return to the style that Bioware put out in the Infinity Engine days(as opposed to every game that has come out since).

This is not Bioware.

1) This is being handled by Beamdog. That means that at best, this is a port.

2) Bioware does not have a license to do any more D&D work. They don't even own any of the characters or any IP outside of the actual engine used to create Baldur's Gate. The game name is a registered trademark of Wizards of the Coast. I think the only thing EA is allowed to do is port the existing game to other platforms, like what they've done previously.

3) I find it hard to believe people in this day and age still think Faerun, D&D, etc, are owned or controlled by Bioware. Bioware can't make any kind of Baldur's Gate sequel without getting a license--that's why they created Dragon Age, they simply don't own that property and want to own their own IP.

PS--Bioware may have registered the domain, but they would have to have permission from WoTC, or stick to any residual licensing requirements--they may have the ability to sell the game as is or as a direct port, but they certainly don't have any other rights.

Shamanic Rhythm:
Ah yes, the grand honoured tradition among Bioware fans of reading deeper meaning into the slightest message. "There will be no meaningless stat-games in Mass Effect 3" is code for "You will press one button to win"; "The least favourite part of my job is playing games" actually means "I want to strip out all the gameplay and replace it more with anime love plots", and now, a few random lines in the style of old D&D games means a whole new Baldur's Gate game.

If I were a Bioware webmaster, I would only make posts at times whose digits correspond to numbers significant to the Illuminati, purely for shits and giggles.

It's an old dnd site that was updated really recently, that's why it's news. they could be fucking with us I suppose, but why garner the ill will especially now? now seems like a PERFECT time to announce a sequel to a beloved franchise, to try to turn the hatedom down.

It's a facebook game.

I'm calling it now.

I..I really don't know whether to be happy or sad.

What if they turn it into Dragon Age 2...

but it also might be awesome.

Oh god why.

I think this has to do with the HD coming of the BG games to Steam. Ive been hearing it a lot lately. Also, BG1 sucks. BG2 is actually pretty decent.=. Wonderful what a well paced gameplay experience and a clean UI can do.

Phred:
This is not Bioware.

2) Bioware does not have a license to do any more D&D work. They don't even own any of the characters or any IP outside of the actual engine used to create Baldur's Gate. The game name is a registered trademark of Wizards of the Coast. I think the only thing EA is allowed to do is port the existing game to other platforms, like what they've done previously.

3) I find it hard to believe people in this day and age still think Faerun, D&D, etc, are owned or controlled by Bioware. Bioware can't make any kind of Baldur's Gate sequel without getting a license--that's why they created Dragon Age, they simply don't own that property and want to own their own IP.

This is true, but since WotC regained the rights to D&D video games(after suing Atari for them), WotC could, should they care to, license a new Baldur's Gate game. Seeing as 4E apparently did not meet Hasbro's sales expectations, and seeing as Baldur's Gate is still a well loved series, I could see WotC licensing the title out to generate some income. Whether that would ultimately be good for us gamers or not is another matter.

I wouldn't mind a rerelease with updated UI (NOT a butchered one btw, just one that is a bit more organized and prettier) and updated graphics.

Well, if anything, they would use the upcoming D&D next and not try a Resurrection on AD&D 2nd Edition. Any new D&D game outside of current licenses like Turbine is going to be created 5e, or even 4e, and not the older versions.

Like I suspect, all this will be is a port of the BG game(s) to some other format--web based, iOS/Android, etc.

Phred:
This is not Bioware.

I'm also amazed by those same people. Seriously a quick google search will find that. Bioware themselves have said they don't have the licence. It's like all those people who jump on silicon knights for not making Eternal Darkness, a game they don't have the license to. Also thanks for pointing out it's from Beamdog. I just googled them and found 3 different news articles about this.
http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/29/baldurs-gate-announce-incoming-from-beamdog/
http://www.gamespot.com/news/baldurs-gate-project-in-the-works-at-beamdog-report-6354851
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/107098-baldurs-gate-website-surfaces-announcement-coming-soon.html
Considering they are made of ex Bioware employees that makes sense. Still wondering what their project is supposed to be. Though not having played Baldur's Gate myself (couldn't get any mods working) I don't know anything about it but I at least like RPGs and since Dragon Age Origins was basically Baldur's Gate (from what I've been told) I suppose I might like this as long as it's done right.

Robert Ewing:
Please for the love of god let this be true. Please Yahweh, Allah, Buddha, The dark ones, Cthulu, the lords of flame, the old gods, please let it be true.

I love how you pray to every pantheon but the one that holds power in Faerun.

By Mystra, Talos, Bane, Cyric, Helm, Illmater, and, of course, the newest incarnation of Bhaal. Let this... Turn out to be something awesome. I dont care what. Rerelease, sequel, whatever, AS LONG AS IT'S GOOD. It doesn't matter as long as it's good.

Please don't ruing the greatest game ever...

I'm going to call bull on this being real. As much as I would love it to be something, the reality is Bioware isn't even that intrested in another Baldurs Gate title.

Relaunching the Bauldur's gate series would be awful. It would go far worse than the syndicate relaunch. I bet EA make Bioware turn Bauldur's gate into a god of war clone or something equally terrible.

Jove:
Sweet mother of Jesus loving God! a BG3...the possibilities...0_0

Please be true! :D

EA owned Bioware here with a beloved IP and a huge fanbase so the appropriate response would be: "Imagine the amount of content witheld to be sold as zero-day DLC and force purchase of the more expensive collectors edition."

Expect a much much much shorter game with less overall content as well.

Knight Templar:
I'm going to call bull on this being real. As much as I would love it to be something, the reality is Bioware isn't even that intrested in another Baldurs Gate title.

You are right Bioware has nothing to do with this. Check the links I posted in my response to someone else 2 posts above yours.

dragonswarrior:

Robert Ewing:
Please for the love of god let this be true. Please Yahweh, Allah, Buddha, The dark ones, Cthulu, the lords of flame, the old gods, please let it be true.

I love how you pray to every pantheon but the one that holds power in Faerun.

By Mystra, Talos, Bane, Cyric, Helm, Illmater, and, of course, the newest incarnation of Bhaal. Let this... Turn out to be something awesome. I dont care what. Rerelease, sequel, whatever, AS LONG AS IT'S GOOD. It doesn't matter as long as it's good.

Please don't ruing the greatest game ever...

Pfff I only pray to Ao and master!

Phred:
This is not Bioware.

Still, wasn't Beamdog made from ex Bioware staff? Perhaps ones that decided to jump ship or just felt the need for a change? If it's being made by them, then this could be to Baldur's Gate what Obsidian's New Vegas was to Fallout: bringing it back to its roots.

As much as I love the Baldur's Gate series, and I really really do, it's over. Done. Baldur's Gate 2 ended with Throne of Bhall, it was a fantastic ending as well that brought plenty of closure to the saga's story.

Sometimes it's best to just let something end.

Not that I really think there's any sort of Baldur's Gate 3 in the works. Honestly I expect some sort of official tablet port or somesuch at the absolute most.

The words being quoted, along with what is apparently a descriptive storyboard of a shadowy figure casting Raise Dead:

"For years I clung to the memory of it; then the memory of the memory."

*SPOILER* if you haven't played Baldur's Gate 2.

These words are spoken in Baldur's Gate 2 by Jon Irenicus. The words "And then...it returned. Better than it was before" I think is something Irenicus wrote in a diary after stealing the player-character's soul. I think in what ever video is going to be shown, the voice actor will actually speak that line though along with the apparent new one "Love is a lie. Only peace endures".

So it's about Irenicus. Either he's returned to be a new threat or he's the player-character. Given BioWare have gone fully voice-acted recently a pre-determined character is logical and because Irenicus had modified his physical appearance lots of time to extend his life now that he's no longer Elf-kind; we'll be able to go all Commander Shepard with him if he's the protagonist.

Edit: The 'love is a lie' thing sounds like something said in The Old Republic though. I remember playing the Sith Inquisitor in the last beta stage and the Sith oath started 'peace is a lie, there is only passion'. Guessing the Jedi oath says different but never got the chance to hear it.

Phred:
This is not Bioware.

Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast, and EA owns Bioware. EA and Hasbro have a very long standing, good relationship.

I agree that the chances of this being a new game are very slim, but the idea that the rights are some huge issue doesn't really hold much water. EA hasn't had any trouble crapping out Monopoly games for Hasbro over the last decade.

Ok people :D i have news about this! "BG3: Terror rising" is going to be a FPS based in modern day Estonia! You customize your character, and are in a squad under the command of Lieutenant Boo, a talking hamster morph who fires lasers from his eyes, and has a bionic arm. ((Voice by Samuel L. Jackson doing a Mr. T impression.))

Several characters from the series all make guest appearances, only to vanish, or be killed off several seconds later. Infinity Ward is in charge of the guns balancing, EA is in charge of distributing and marketing, and the crew behind APB is writing the engine for it as we speak!

All your stats are tracked on a special leaderboard, and every match your put against people 3x your skill, so you can develop your skills the way a man would. At random gravity will turn off. All the games maps are tight corridors, and cluttered with broken cars. Blood effects are removed and replaced with the "Monster" energy drink logo.

Ray William Johnson is voice acting the main villain, Rebortor, who plans on destroying the world with billions of expensive looking explosions in buildings that have no strategic value.
((Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&ob=av3n))

/end nightmare

AHHHH! That was a horrible nightmare! Please tell me its just an HD re-release of the first game. D:

Definitely not worth getting any sort of hopes up, EA wouldn't allow it.

Tanis:
I'd LOVE for a new BG:DA for the 360/PS3/WiiU, or even a BG3 for PC.

I thought I was the only one that actually liked Dark Alliance, one of my favourite games in fact. But DA wasn't developed by Bioware, it was developed by SnowBlind studios. I think.

kouriichi:
Ok people :D i have news about this! "BG3: Terror rising" is going to be a FPS based in modern day Estonia! You customize your character, and are in a squad under the command of Lieutenant Boo, a talking hamster morph who fires lasers from his eyes, and has a bionic arm. ((Voice by Samuel L. Jackson doing a Mr. T impression.))

Am i the only one who actually wants to play that game?

So there is a God after all.

At this point I no longer trust Bioware to touch Baldur's Gate. Honestly, it's probably best left alone at this point. If they want to do a HD re release then maybe that could not turn out to be a total mess but after seeing what Bioware has turned into since it was sucked into the EA machine and stripped of anything that used to make them special I'd rather they just let it be.

Edit: After seeing this is Beamdog and NOT Bioware I say bring it on! Bioware can go rot in a ditch for what they mean to me anymore.

Mike Kayatta:
Honestly, I've been around the internet for awhile now, and yet how or why people do things like check the HTML source code for a website promoting a game from 1998 is still beyond me. Still, I can't say that I'm sad someone took the time. Almost any Baldur's Gate news is good news, at least in my book.

Yeah, what was found out so far, I was thinking about making a Post on the forums yesterday but didn't:

http://www.chromewhois.com/domain/baldursgate.com

8707 99 Ave.
Edmonton, AL T5H 4N5
Canada
Registered through: Go Daddy
Domain Domain Name: BALDURSGATE.COM
Created: 27-Oct-11
Expires: 27-Oct-13
Updated: 05-Jan-12
Administrative Contact:
Oster, Trent

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,52489/

Trent Oster started in the game industry in 1994 and worked the majority of his career at BioWare. Through that period he has worked as a Development Studio Owner, an Artist, Programmer, Project Director and Director of Technology. After working at on the titles Shattered Steel and Baldur's Gate he led the development of Neverwinter Nights from concept to completion.

Following NeverWinter Nights, Trent completed two expansion packs and moved into the Project Director role on the next generation BioWare Eclipse Engine. Following the initial feature completion on the Eclipse Engine Trent moved on to doing a new, unannounced project which was cancelled in 2009 by EA. Trent left BioWare in 2009 and started up a digital distribution portal called: Beamdog. Trent is currently the co-owner, Creative Director and Director of Business Development at Beamdog.

View Source:

<!-- January 19, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->
<!-- Live by the sword, live a good looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. -->

<!-- January 28, 2012 -->
<!-- Live by the sword, live a good looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. -->
<!-- Kick em in the Bhaals! -->

<!-- February 13, 2012 -->
<!-- oh dear it's coming soon -->

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->
<!-- You haven't guessed it yet! -->

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->
<!-- For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. -->
<!-- And then... it returned. Better than it was before. -->
<!-- Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all. -->

Trent had previously made MDK2 HD: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/10/more-damn-kharacters-overhaul-games-trent-oster-on-putting-the-hd-into-mdk2-hd/

Also Trent tweeted that it ain't related to Baldur's Gate on Steam: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/107098-baldurs-gate-website-surfaces-announcement-coming-soon.html

We're not related to the Steam complete edition, I can tell you that much. Other than that, we're hoping to announce something soon.

Also... this ain't likely related to anything BiowEAr, so stop fawning about them, they'll continue to make TPS-Shooters and to be honest I want Nu-Bioware that made Dragon Age 2 as far away as possible from this...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here