Website Teases New Baldur's Gate ... Something - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Xanthious:
At this point I no longer trust Bioware to touch Baldur's Gate. Honestly, it's probably best left alone at this point. If they want to do a HD re release then maybe that could not turn out to be a total mess but after seeing what Bioware has turned into since it was sucked into the EA machine and stripped of anything that used to make them special I'd rather they just let it be.

I get the feeling I might be saying this one for a while but this has nothing to do with Bioware. Beamdog is doing something with the Baldur's Gate games right now that isn't the Baldur's Gate Complete Edition coming to Steam. Beamdog are the ones who did whatever they did with that website.

If it is a sequel they better not use 4.0e rules for their stats! DOWN WITH 4-OH!

As the silver moon waxes and wanes, so too does life.

Selune, goddess of the moon. Also from BGII.
http://amiawiki.shatuga.com/index.php/Sel%C3%BBne

Darkmantle:

spectrenihlus:
So your move everyone who said they would boycott Bioware/EA after ME3

Not gonna FUCKING happen... unless minsc is DLC or something...

If Minsc is DLC I'll LOSE MY MIND! FUCK!

Oh no... you can have Minsc. Wouldn't take that from you.

But Boo! Boo will cost you $20!! After all, he's only cosmetic right? Not essential to the plot, right? He even hampers game play. Without him, you have an extra inventory slot.

So $20, Day 1 DLC, not even available in the special edition, collectors edition, or even super special awesome deluxe edition with cherries on the box.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Mark me down as "cautiously optimistic". If it's a BG3, I'll definitely be disappointed though. The Baldur's Gate Saga was about a Bhaalspawn's journey: emerging from childhood only to have her foster father murdered before her, she eventually finds out that the cause was her heritage, she continues to struggle with said heritage, and ultimately decides whether she wishes to ascend to assume the mantle or be rid of the taint. That's it, in a nutshell. At the end of ToB, the journey is completed, there is no more room for a BG3.

I'd love to see an HD release of BG1 or BG2, though... A girl can dream...

Baldur's Gate 3: Return of the FanRage.

Catchy title.

Anyway, I honestly hope they leave the franchise dead. Dragon Age was supposed to be the company's return to that sort of game and it only lasted for Origins. Then BioWare decided they could "modernize" the already modern game.

Anyone who thinks a remake, or sequel, or whatever, would be good, I'll redirect you to Syndicate and XCOM. You're not going to get a faithful addition to the series. All you'll get is a game with vestigial ties to the franchise, wrapped around a game designed for a totally different audience. Their hope is fans will buy it for namesake, but new players will buy it for the gameplay.

Baldur's Gate is dead, and the BioWare that made it is dead, too. The studio is not the same anymore. Get over it, and move on.

Krantos:
Baldur's Gate 3: Return of the FanRage.

Catchy title.

Anyway, I honestly hope they leave the franchise dead. Dragon Age was supposed to be the company's return to that sort of game and it only lasted for Origins. Then BioWare decided they could "modernize" the already modern game.

Anyone who thinks a remake, or sequel, or whatever, would be good, I'll redirect you to Syndicate and XCOM. You're not going to get a faithful addition to the series. All you'll get is a game with vestigial ties to the franchise, wrapped around a game designed for a totally different audience. Their hope is fans will buy it for namesake, but new players will buy it for the gameplay.

Baldur's Gate is dead, and the BioWare that made it is dead, too. The studio is not the same anymore. Get over it, and move on.

Bioware has nothing to do with this it's another company called Beamdog who was made of former Bioware employees who is doing...something with Baldur's Gate that isn't the Baldur's Gate Complete Edition coming to steam. I wish they would fix this article already since seeing so many people getting misinformed is really getting annoying to me.

"HD re-release"... we call that a resolution mod.
As far as I can remember, the rights for the series are now with at Atari, so what's Bioware got to do with it?

unacomn:
As far as I can remember, the rights for the series are now with at Atari, so what's Bioware got to do with it?

Check my post right above yours.

I really hope it's a modernized re-release. I tried to play Baldur's gate, but I just couldn't get over the archaic UI. Never thought I'd be hoping for a remake, but I still have faith in Bioware.

80Maxwell08:

unacomn:

Sorry, didn't read the comments before posting. If Beamdog is involved, it would mean the games are getting released on Beamdog, since it's a digital distribution service, like Steam/GOG/Impulse, etc. I agree, this article is just misleading and wrong.

unacomn:

80Maxwell08:

unacomn:

Sorry, didn't read the comments before posting. If Beamdog is involved, it would mean the games are getting released on Beamdog, since it's a digital distribution service, like Steam/GOG/Impulse, etc. I agree, this article is just misleading and wrong.

No problem I don't think it's even mentioned until page 2.

sir.rutthed:
I really hope it's a modernized re-release. I tried to play Baldur's gate, but I just couldn't get over the archaic UI. Never thought I'd be hoping for a remake, but I still have faith in Bioware.

Well no point in that faith since this has nothing to do with them. Read above your post for more.

Sequel or HD Re-release, anything! fuck if I care! Im all on board wherever this train is a-taking me.

Given what has been going on with Bioware since Mass Effect 2, I sincerely hope this is at best just some HD remake or engine upgrade thing. Because I have absolutely no faith what so freaking ever that present day bioware will do anything with Baldur's Gate which doesn't end up in them fucking it over in the ass while adding tons of spyware(hi origin!).

EDIT:

80Maxwell08:

Bioware has nothing to do with this it's another company called Beamdog who was made of former Bioware employees who is doing...something with Baldur's Gate that isn't the Baldur's Gate Complete Edition coming to steam. I wish they would fix this article already since seeing so many people getting misinformed is really getting annoying to me.

Oh? Well in that case there might be hope as present day bioware has about as much clue about rpg's and writing as blizzard does(which is to say it's gone into the negative digits).

spectrenihlus:

i wouldnt call my personal refusal to buy anymore bioware games after ME3 a boycott as such, im just loosing interest in the style of games bioware make these days.

honestly though a HD remake of the series with the rule set of BG2 would be something i would buy

EA Bioware who cares what they do?
You can't buy games from them anyway.

I really like the old games, but since DA:O Bioware just pushed out bad games
with a lot of fucking DLC wich are sometimes plot relevant (Shadowbroker? or in DA:O
Witchhunt)

Bioware needs to split up from EA and start making complete games again, then I will
wait until I see the game and then they may earn my trust again, until that day,
they can kiss my ass.

beniki:

Darkmantle:

spectrenihlus:

Not gonna FUCKING happen... unless minsc is DLC or something...

If Minsc is DLC I'll LOSE MY MIND! FUCK!

Oh no... you can have Minsc. Wouldn't take that from you.

But Boo! Boo will cost you $20!! After all, he's only cosmetic right? Not essential to the plot, right? He even hampers game play. Without him, you have an extra inventory slot.

So $20, Day 1 DLC, not even available in the special edition, collectors edition, or even super special awesome deluxe edition with cherries on the box.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

If you don't buy the DLC minsc is all depressed.

Minsc and Boo stand... far apart :'(

Go for the eyes bo... oh he's gone :'(

and he just sits down during combat and cries :p

balberoy:

with a lot of fucking DLC wich are sometimes plot relevant (Shadowbroker? or in DA:O
Witchhunt)

Bioware needs to split up from EA and start making complete games again, then I will
wait until I see the game and then they may earn my trust again, until that day,
they can kiss my ass.

The article is wrong Bioware has nothing to do with this at all. A company called Beamdog which is formed from ex Bioware employees is doing something unannounced with the Baldur's Gate games that isn't the complete edition coming to steam.

80Maxwell08:

balberoy:

Witchhunt)

they can kiss my ass.

The article is wrong Bioware has nothing to do with this at all. A company called Beamdog which is formed from ex Bioware employees is doing something unannounced with the Baldur's Gate games that isn't the complete edition coming to steam.

Thanks for the correction,
in this case I applaud and salute.

Hopefully this game will revive this genre.
Cause I except nothing from Bioware in this regard in the future.

balberoy:

80Maxwell08:

balberoy:

Witchhunt)

they can kiss my ass.

Thanks for the correction,
in this case I applaud and salute.

Hopefully this game will revive this genre.
Cause I except nothing from Bioware in this regard in the future.

Well I've been reading the ME3 spoilers and I wholeheartedly agree. Seriously the new spoilers for the ending just....god. I am glad I jumped off that sinking ship eariler. If you are interested there's a topic on the forums here discussing them.

As strange as it is to say I don't want any more Baldur's Gate. BG2 is still my favourite game of all time (hence avatar), but BG is a story that ebbed and flowed but ultimately ended. If there was a hypothetical BG3 it wouldn't be my Bhaalspawn(s), it would have to have a new protagonist and as such would no longer be real BG.

The reason I didn't, and continue not to play Dragon Age 2 is not due to the poor reviews it received but due to the fact I couldn't continue my Warden's story. But on Dragon Age I see no need to have two parallel fantasy licenses at the same time, BG and DA would fill a very similar hole.

All that said I doubt there will be a BG3, a full remake is more likely than a direct squeal and even then unlikely. I suppose we shall wait with baited breath on what will happen.

Oh and does this mean that miniature giant space hamster memes will overtake arrow to the knee jokes, as that would be brilliant.

Please don't be a troll.

I believe in Baldur's Gate.

Blunderboy:
Please don't be a troll.

I believe in Baldur's Gate.

Well something is happening with the Baldur's Gate series but Bioware just has nothing to do with it. Instead a studio made of ex Bioware employees called Beamdog is doing something with it not related to the complete edition coming to steam. So no this isn't a troll but the article is still wrong.

Baldur's Gate was developed by Bioware. Bioware belongs to EA. EA uses Origin. Thus Baldur's Gate is not getting released on Steam.

4RM3D:
Baldur's Gate was developed by Bioware. Bioware belongs to EA. EA uses Origin. Thus Baldur's Gate is not getting released on Steam.

Bioware doesn't own the licenses to Baldur's Gate or any D&D game Atari and Hasbro do.

Sober Thal:
The game needs a complete, fully voiced,

If they can get the original voice for important character yes, if not god hell no, having hard time imaging anyone else then Jim Cummings been Minsc, cause it it was not Jim Cummings I could at least imagine calling Jim Cummings to do it and doing a good voice imitation.

80Maxwell08:

4RM3D:

Bioware doesn't own the licenses to Baldur's Gate or any D&D game Atari and Hasbro do.

The D&D universe belongs to Wizards of the Coast which belongs to Hasbro (I guess). So if you wanted to make another D&D game (including a sequel to BG) you would need to get the license from Hasbro.

Hmmm, I forgot about the re-releases of BG. *Checks the site* Yes, it seems Atari published it. Well, lets hope they don't turn it over to Bioware. The studio isn't capable anymore.

4RM3D:

80Maxwell08:

4RM3D:

The D&D universe belongs to Wizards of the Coast which belongs to Hasbro (I guess). So if you wanted to make another D&D game (including a sequel to BG) you would need to get the license from Hasbro.

Hmmm, I forgot about the re-releases of BG. *Checks the site* Yes, it seems Atari published it. Well, lets hope they don't turn it over to Bioware. The studio isn't capable anymore.

Please read my other posts for what's actually happening with the Baldur's Gate games. Also why in the hell would Atari do that? I'm surprised it took them this long to do something. Seriously you would think rereleasing all the old school D&D games would be priority one with their financial state. Well they have put them on GOG so I guess even they don't feel the need to do that.

Never played them. A shiny new re-release would be much appreciated. Thoroughly doubt this has anything to do with a sequel.

Please for God's sake : NO.3D ! NO.ACHIEVEMENTS ! Please, please, please... :(

Seeing as Bioware are just whores for EA now, i cant see how this is likely to be good in any way. Baldurs Gate:Dark Alliance 3 perhaps?

Or Baludurs gate 3 in the style of Dragon Age 2? perhaps Baldurs gate the FPS with RPG elements?

Either way count me nonplussed until i see more evidence this isnt going to be some kind of horrible cash in.

*Edit* Read its not bioware, *Whew* i'll leave the bleak predictions there for shits and giggles but now i know its ex-bioware employees i'm hesitantly hopeful

Fappy:
If it is a sequel they better not use 4.0e rules for their stats! DOWN WITH 4-OH!

I hadn't even considered that side of things before you mentioned it...

Baldur's Gate with 4th Ed rules...

*shudder*

It ... it ... it's just too horrible to imagine.

That possibility is lodged in my brain now. You're a bad person.

BioWare don't even own the Baldur's Gate rights, Atari does.

It would be great to see Obsidian make a true Baldur's Gate III and snag the whole of BioWare's old fanbase, but it's probably just a HD remake.

Dexter111:

Mike Kayatta:
Honestly, I've been around the internet for awhile now, and yet how or why people do things like check the HTML source code for a website promoting a game from 1998 is still beyond me. Still, I can't say that I'm sad someone took the time. Almost any Baldur's Gate news is good news, at least in my book.

Yeah, what was found out so far, I was thinking about making a Post on the forums yesterday but didn't:

http://www.chromewhois.com/domain/baldursgate.com

8707 99 Ave.
Edmonton, AL T5H 4N5
Canada
Registered through: Go Daddy
Domain Domain Name: BALDURSGATE.COM
Created: 27-Oct-11
Expires: 27-Oct-13
Updated: 05-Jan-12
Administrative Contact:
Oster, Trent

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,52489/

Trent Oster started in the game industry in 1994 and worked the majority of his career at BioWare. Through that period he has worked as a Development Studio Owner, an Artist, Programmer, Project Director and Director of Technology. After working at on the titles Shattered Steel and Baldur's Gate he led the development of Neverwinter Nights from concept to completion.

Following NeverWinter Nights, Trent completed two expansion packs and moved into the Project Director role on the next generation BioWare Eclipse Engine. Following the initial feature completion on the Eclipse Engine Trent moved on to doing a new, unannounced project which was cancelled in 2009 by EA. Trent left BioWare in 2009 and started up a digital distribution portal called: Beamdog. Trent is currently the co-owner, Creative Director and Director of Business Development at Beamdog.

View Source:

<!-- January 19, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->
<!-- Live by the sword, live a good looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. -->

<!-- January 28, 2012 -->
<!-- Live by the sword, live a good looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. -->
<!-- Kick em in the Bhaals! -->

<!-- February 13, 2012 -->
<!-- oh dear it's coming soon -->

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->
<!-- You haven't guessed it yet! -->

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->
<!-- For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. -->
<!-- And then... it returned. Better than it was before. -->
<!-- Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all. -->

Trent had previously made MDK2 HD: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/10/more-damn-kharacters-overhaul-games-trent-oster-on-putting-the-hd-into-mdk2-hd/

Also Trent tweeted that it ain't related to Baldur's Gate on Steam: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/107098-baldurs-gate-website-surfaces-announcement-coming-soon.html

We're not related to the Steam complete edition, I can tell you that much. Other than that, we're hoping to announce something soon.

Also... this ain't likely related to anything BiowEAr, so stop fawning about them, they'll continue to make TPS-Shooters and to be honest I want Nu-Bioware that made Dragon Age 2 as far away as possible from this...

Quoted for truth.

Knowing BioWare lately, it will be Baldur's Gate 3, but it will be a hack and slash with emo characters and we'll have to pay 30 for day one DLC for each party member.

I don't want a graphically enhanced Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. I have those games already. I don't give a fuck about graphics. I want a new Baldur's Gate game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here