One Million Moms Want Same-Sex Archie Comic Out of Toys 'R' Us

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

jurnag12:

This is the last place a parent would expect to be confronted with questions from their children on topics that are too complicated for them to understand.

*ahem*
They love each other. So they married.
This isn't rocket science, lady. What did you tell your kids when they saw your wedding pictures? Same story.
The only reason this would be a complicated topic would be if you specifically raised your kid to see same-sex marriage as something entirely different from a straight marriage, at which point the fault lies with you for being a narrow-minded bigot.
Also props to Goldwater for standing by his product.

Exactly, this is the best explanation ever.
Seriously why do parents get so damn fidgety about this, is easy to explain.

Snort, snort ,snort!!! Ooooh yah! I do not even have to say anything, it has already been said for me by Jon Goldwater.

You know, the cover only shows two guys under a "Just Married" sign. They're not holding hands or kissing or anything. If you can't deflect awkward questions in that situation, there's no hope for you. Not that many a kid in a toy store is going to be pondering the meaning of that cover when there's so many more interesting things to look at.

Gay marriage exists and it isn't going away. If you don't like it, well, you're on the losing side and you'd better learn to adapt and tolerate it. Who knows? You may just find it doesn't make the slightest ounce of difference to your life.

As for Toys R Us, it comes down to a question of how many customers they'd lose from either choice. I suspect support for gay rights will turn out to be much stronger and more vocal than FourtyFourThousandMoms.

Oh yeah, I forgot Archie had a gay character now. It's been years since I read them.

Kind of interesting how a comic from the 50's is so progressive.

Seriously? This is only an issue if you make it one, It's as complicated as trying to explain normal marriage to a kid; they love each other, They got married.

It's ridiculous how many homophobic people are still around, It's 2012, Come on.

gentlemanghost:
The funny thing is, I saw this in my TRU a few days ago and thought to myself, "Huh, that's interesting. I'm surprised some moron hasn't complained about this, yet". Then I read this and sure enough.....

I made it through 5 pages of commenting and reading other peoples comments before I finally realized that you didn't say "Huh, that's interesting. I'm surprised some mormon hasn't complained about this, yet"....

Qitz:
God forbid a parent, you know, be a parent and explain things to their kids.

Explain!? What humduggery is this. Perish the thought, children aren't 'REAL' people! Gawd.

Good, kids care less about homosexuality and heterosexuality than a dog cares about you dancing naked in front of it. They think all romance is one big hilarious joke and the more people stop dancing around it the less of an issue it will be culturally. Explaining sex is awkward just take the extra step and explain the whole story, my parents skirted around it as well and I think they should have just explained everything. It hasn't turned me gay or whatever kind of bullshit people will have you believe but it would have been nice to just accept sooner as my best friends parents were a Lesbian couple, would have saved on the awkward.

Russel Howard said it best. Children at that age are just like: "Whatever! The bush is going to be PINK in my drawing."
Protect them? They're at the most mellow at that age! Tell them EVERYTHING!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIfGNzwrn8Y

"that are too complicated for them to understand."

Me: Hey Timmy, some dudes like dudes, some chicks like chicks.
Timmy: Okay.
Me: Who do you like?
Timmy: I don't, im 8.
Me: Fair play.

scorptatious:
Oh yeah, I forgot Archie had a gay character now. It's been years since I read them.

Kind of interesting how a comic from the 50's is so progressive.

Proberly why its still around, evolve or die!

They will take it off shelves, when #17 comes out... no pun intended.

Stilkon:
Well, for that matter, why is Toys R Us selling Archie comics in the first place?

Liberal

Agenda

I saw it on Fox...

On Topic:
Yeah....somewhere beyond Borders/Waldenbooks/Barnes and Noble/Hobby Stores sells comic books?

Also who cares? We get it so you have to join and advocate group because your marriage is in the shitter...why is that everyone elses issue....

Surely Archie is the perfect way for a parent to introduce to their child the reality of same-sex marriage? But obviously this isn't them being concerned about the comic interfering with their parenting skills - they just hate the gays and want their children too as well. Well done TRU for standing your ground.

Children are being exposed to guns in toy stores every day. Can you spell 'hypocritical moronic bigots'?

A white servicemen and a black guy, well certainly pushing the tolerance message. Glad they stuck by their guns, although the pc push is a little bit... fantastical? Is this fantasy?

Neverhoodian:

12 Angry Men had the right approach for dealing with such people: ignore them. You deny them a captive audience and they have nobody to talk to but themselves.

While this approach is likely to work with the Million Mom....whatever. It's unlikely to work with Fred Phelps and his ilk.

Very nicely put on his part.

This seems a bit...strange for a news post though...slow day or something?
"Where da vidya gaems at?" and all that....

Neverhoodian:
Huh, I wasn't aware Archie was still going after all these decades.

I don't think Toys 'R' Us has to worry. This is little more than a publicity stunt, a desperate and pathetic plea for attention by a group of people too stubborn and out of touch with reality to realize that they've already lost. They've realized that their intolerance no longer conforms with modern, progressive society. Instead of re-evaluating their stance, they lash out bitterly like a cornered animal.

12 Angry Men had the right approach for dealing with such people: ignore them. You deny them a captive audience and they have nobody to talk to but themselves.

Well... now I have to go back and see that movie again. Its been about 8 years. Deserves another viewing.

And overall, even though us adults can't come to a concensus on the matter, I think its probably good for kids to get some exposure to this stuff.

These stupid people make me giggle, either that or being awake this early my mind is still soft and not getting this through.

Though I did have fun reading through all that while this plays in the background:

Andy Chalk:
Archie Comics co-CEO Jon Goldwater has, and in a pretty snappy fashion, too. "We stand by Life with Archie #16. As I've said before, Riverdale is a safe, welcoming place that does not judge anyone. It's an idealized version of America that will hopefully become reality someday," he said in a statement. "We're sorry the American Family Association/OneMillionMoms.com feels so negatively about our product, but they have every right to their opinion, just like we have the right to stand by ours. Kevin Keller will forever be a part of Riverdale, and he will live a happy, long life free of prejudice, hate and narrow-minded people."

Nicely put, sir.

Hell yeah!

First off, I haven't read an Archie comic in years, so I was damn impressed when I saw this thread. A same-sex marriage in Archie comices?! Awesome!

Better yet is the fact that the creator has spoken so eloquently about the issue. Good for him.

And, to One Million Moms, I say this: "Go fuck yourselves."

How are you supposed to explain to a child that two men can love each other...how about say "some men love men and not women" WHY IS THIS HARD!? I LEARNED ABOUT SEX WHEN I WAS EIGHT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

P.S. Why the flying fuck do they call themselves one million moms if they only have 44,000 members?

Zen Toombs:

Andy Chalk:
As I've said before, Riverdale is a safe, welcoming place that does not judge anyone. It's an idealized version of America that will hopefully become reality someday,"

This is our home. But make no mistake - America is not a country of peace and love. They say it's a wasteland, that it's dangerous, that only a fool would search for something of value here.
\

So yea. Definitely love the Borderlands reference.

Volf:
Don't see the problem, parents should be able to limit what their kids see.

Look, the bottom line is that the constitution has a big rule at the top about free speech covering the public areas, and that privately owned corporations can do/say/sell whatever they want so long as it doesn't violate safety laws.

Because when parents "limit" what their kids see in public spaces, they are limiting what EVERYONE sees in public spaces, and that's bullshit. And yes, that applies to EVERYTHING. I work in a bookstore, and some of the right wing propaganda crap I see every day makes me furious and disgusted. But I would never ask for it to be banned, because that's stupid. On so many levels. And if my kids had questions about it, I would assume that I would be a decent parent and talk to them about why such things were right or wrong or intelligent or stupid, rather than just telling them to shut up or whatever these lazy parents are doing.

dragonswarrior:

Zen Toombs:

Andy Chalk:
As I've said before, Riverdale is a safe, welcoming place that does not judge anyone. It's an idealized version of America that will hopefully become reality someday,"

This is our home. But make no mistake - America is not a country of peace and love. They say it's a wasteland, that it's dangerous, that only a fool would search for something of value here.
\

Volf:

Look, the bottom line is that the constitution has a big rule at the top about free speech covering the public areas, and that privately owned corporations can do/say/sell whatever they want so long as it doesn't violate safety laws.

Because when parents "limit" what their kids see in public spaces, they are limiting what EVERYONE sees in public spaces, and that's bullshit. And yes, that applies to EVERYTHING. I work in a bookstore, and some of the right wing propaganda crap I see every day makes me furious and disgusted. But I would never ask for it to be banned, because that's stupid. On so many levels. And if my kids had questions about it, I would assume that I would be a decent parent and talk to them about why such things were right or wrong or intelligent or stupid, rather than just telling them to shut up or whatever these lazy parents are doing.

If you look earlier in this thread you will see that I retracted my comment about censorship

Go Toys 'R' Us for keeping their shit together.

Stuff like this, gives me hope for humanity.

Volf:
snippets

I apologize good sir. You did not deserve my vitriol.

Are children even interested in Archie Comics these days?

Even if they were, would they really pay attention to that single comic in a toy store. If I were there age I'd be too busy over in the video game aisle to pay attention to something like that in checkout. Also, what's the big deal if they see the cover? It's not like the two are kissing, all you'd have to go on to know those two guys were getting married would be the fact they're at the center of the cover, a parent could easily lie to their kids and say those two weren't the ones being married? Hell you could pass it up as archie being married considering his face takes up most of the cover and there are two women behind him.

dragonswarrior:

Volf:
snippets

I apologize good sir. You did not deserve my vitriol.

no worries, alot of people seem to have missed it.

Volf:

In public places? So if a parent doesn't want their child to see, say, the color green, they have the right to take everything that's green down? If you don't want your child to see it, don't go to the store where it is. The company can choose to stock whatever it feels will be the most profitable to it.

DailonCmann:

Volf:

In public places? So if a parent doesn't want their child to see, say, the color green, they have the right to take everything that's green down? If you don't want your child to see it, don't go to the store where it is. The company can choose to stock whatever it feels will be the most profitable to it.

Do me a favor and look at comment #162. smh

DailonCmann:

Volf:

I'm just going to leave this here...

Volf:

dragonswarrior:

Zen Toombs:

\

Volf:

If you look earlier in this thread you will see that I retracted my comment about censorship

EDIT: Whoops, Volf beat me to it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, if you can't keep your child away from something (even as ignorant and narrow minded as this) without is ceasing to exist you might want to reconsider being a parent, protecting (God I hate to call this that) your child is kinda what what your supposed to do.

Anyways, glad Jon Goldwater is not backing down on this.

Bara_no_Hime:

Andy Chalk:
Archie Comics co-CEO Jon Goldwater has, and in a pretty snappy fashion, too. "We stand by Life with Archie #16. As I've said before, Riverdale is a safe, welcoming place that does not judge anyone. It's an idealized version of America that will hopefully become reality someday," he said in a statement. "We're sorry the American Family Association/OneMillionMoms.com feels so negatively about our product, but they have every right to their opinion, just like we have the right to stand by ours. Kevin Keller will forever be a part of Riverdale, and he will live a happy, long life free of prejudice, hate and narrow-minded people."

Nicely put, sir.

Hell yeah!

First off, I haven't read an Archie comic in years, so I was damn impressed when I saw this thread. A same-sex marriage in Archie comices?! Awesome!

Better yet is the fact that the creator has spoken so eloquently about the issue. Good for him.

And, to One Million Moms, I say this: "Go fuck yourselves."

Actually my message to One Million Moms would be:

(I'm getting a lot of mileage out of this one lately.)

Seriously, just because you want to live in your own little June Cleaver fantasy bubble of a 1950's that never existed where there were no gays or minorities, fine, but stop acting like you have the right to force your narrow-minded bitchiness on the rest of us.

And to Mr. Goldwater, I salute you, good sir.

Volf:

Realitycrash:

Volf:

Well, then kids shouldn't be let outside, because whenever I walk down the street, I see promotions for violent movies/games/tv-shows/music or promotions for fashion/tv-shows/movies/music that appeal to sex, not to mention the commersials/shows that are on TV.
Or the news. Damn, the NEWS! Children shouldn't be allowed to watch the news.
Or read the news.
Or actually, go to school. Then you have to interact with other people, and they might you know, share information.

Edit: And more OT..What do these moms mean when they say "children shouldn't be bothered with what is hard to understand."? How hard IS it?
How about "Hey, some men love men, and some women love women, and they can get married too. It's about love."? Seems pretty simple to me.

I didn't say sheltered, just that parents should be able to control what subjects toy stores expose children to.

Yes, like let's cater to racists and not show interracial marriage. Oh wait a minute maybe we should avoid that example because it just goes to show that the only reason behind that kind of thinking is prejudice.

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Realitycrash:

Well, then kids shouldn't be let outside, because whenever I walk down the street, I see promotions for violent movies/games/tv-shows/music or promotions for fashion/tv-shows/movies/music that appeal to sex, not to mention the commersials/shows that are on TV.
Or the news. Damn, the NEWS! Children shouldn't be allowed to watch the news.
Or read the news.
Or actually, go to school. Then you have to interact with other people, and they might you know, share information.

Edit: And more OT..What do these moms mean when they say "children shouldn't be bothered with what is hard to understand."? How hard IS it?
How about "Hey, some men love men, and some women love women, and they can get married too. It's about love."? Seems pretty simple to me.

I didn't say sheltered, just that parents should be able to control what subjects toy stores expose children to.

Yes, like let's cater to racists and not show interracial marriage. Oh wait a minute maybe we should avoid that example because it just goes to show that the only reason behind that kind of thinking is prejudice.

Follow DailonCmann's lead and refer to comment #162

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

Your reasoning for why you withdrew it didn't seem to address the criticism I made.

Volf:

Mortai Gravesend:

Volf:

You may want to go back and edit the post everyone is referring to. That whole deal is getting tiresome.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here