Blizzard Lays Off 600

 Pages PREV 1 2 3
 

SL33TBL1ND:
So if it isn't their development guys, are they laying off their cinematics team? Because that would be awful, those guys are some of the best I've ever seen.

It might not be anyone directly connected with the games at all. I work for a software company and only 70% of our employees are "technical" (programmers, support engineers, systems engineers and docs writers). The other 30% are account managers, sales people, HR, lawyers (quite a few of those), accountants, and all the other goons required to run a company.

70% technical staff is pretty high for a software company. (We only manage it because we're quite small and don't have a very deep management structure.) A big company like Blizzard probably has about 50:50 technical to non-technical staff.

MetalMagpie:

SL33TBL1ND:
So if it isn't their development guys, are they laying off their cinematics team? Because that would be awful, those guys are some of the best I've ever seen.

It might not be anyone directly connected with the games at all. I work for a software company and only 70% of our employees are "technical" (programmers, support engineers, systems engineers and docs writers). The other 30% are account managers, sales people, HR, lawyers (quite a few of those), accountants, and all the other goons required to run a company.

70% technical staff is pretty high for a software company. (We only manage it because we're quite small and don't have a very deep management structure.) A big company like Blizzard probably has about 50:50 technical to non-technical staff.

Courtesy of Joystiq, the job distribution at Blizzard, August 2009.

Team size at Blizzard
Game Design: 37
Cinematics: 123
Platform Services: 245
Quality Assurance: 218
International Offices Population: 1,724
Game Masters: 2,056
Billing: 240
Quality Control: 67
Technical Support: 121
Online Technologies: 149

90:10 is more like it.

Hammeroj:

MetalMagpie:

SL33TBL1ND:
So if it isn't their development guys, are they laying off their cinematics team? Because that would be awful, those guys are some of the best I've ever seen.

It might not be anyone directly connected with the games at all. I work for a software company and only 70% of our employees are "technical" (programmers, support engineers, systems engineers and docs writers). The other 30% are account managers, sales people, HR, lawyers (quite a few of those), accountants, and all the other goons required to run a company.

70% technical staff is pretty high for a software company. (We only manage it because we're quite small and don't have a very deep management structure.) A big company like Blizzard probably has about 50:50 technical to non-technical staff.

Courtesy of Joystiq, the job distribution at Blizzard, August 2009.

Team size at Blizzard
Game Design: 37
Cinematics: 123
Platform Services: 245
Quality Assurance: 218
International Offices Population: 1,724
Game Masters: 2,056
Billing: 240
Quality Control: 67
Technical Support: 121
Online Technologies: 149

90:10 is more like it.

I make that 3256:1724 technical:non-technical, assuming "Game Masters" count as technical staff. (Any idea what they are?) International Offices will be HR, accounts, legal, payroll, etc. Looks like they don't have internal marketing.

So about 60:30 technical to non-technical by a back-of-an-envelope-calc. Not that different to my company after all.

MetalMagpie:

Hammeroj:

MetalMagpie:

It might not be anyone directly connected with the games at all. I work for a software company and only 70% of our employees are "technical" (programmers, support engineers, systems engineers and docs writers). The other 30% are account managers, sales people, HR, lawyers (quite a few of those), accountants, and all the other goons required to run a company.

70% technical staff is pretty high for a software company. (We only manage it because we're quite small and don't have a very deep management structure.) A big company like Blizzard probably has about 50:50 technical to non-technical staff.

Courtesy of Joystiq, the job distribution at Blizzard, August 2009.

Team size at Blizzard
Game Design: 37
Cinematics: 123
Platform Services: 245
Quality Assurance: 218
International Offices Population: 1,724
Game Masters: 2,056
Billing: 240
Quality Control: 67
Technical Support: 121
Online Technologies: 149

90:10 is more like it.

I make that 3256:1724 technical:non-technical, assuming "Game Masters" count as technical staff. (Any idea what they are?) International Offices will be HR, accounts, legal, payroll, etc. Looks like they don't have internal marketing.

So about 60:30 technical to non-technical by a back-of-an-envelope-calc. Not that different to my company after all.

you don't know what a GM is?
its basically an ingame troubleshooting help desk. They fix shit, definitely not development related.

It's their company and they should be able to do whatever the hell they want with it.

I don't understand where all this ridicule comes from. It's not Blizzard's responsibility to keep everyone happy and economically secure. If you think it is, you're wrong.

MetalMagpie:

SL33TBL1ND:
So if it isn't their development guys, are they laying off their cinematics team? Because that would be awful, those guys are some of the best I've ever seen.

It might not be anyone directly connected with the games at all. I work for a software company and only 70% of our employees are "technical" (programmers, support engineers, systems engineers and docs writers). The other 30% are account managers, sales people, HR, lawyers (quite a few of those), accountants, and all the other goons required to run a company.

70% technical staff is pretty high for a software company. (We only manage it because we're quite small and don't have a very deep management structure.) A big company like Blizzard probably has about 50:50 technical to non-technical staff.

...

I was kidding. I understand that there are more people working there than those to departments.

SL33TBL1ND:

MetalMagpie:

SL33TBL1ND:
So if it isn't their development guys, are they laying off their cinematics team? Because that would be awful, those guys are some of the best I've ever seen.

It might not be anyone directly connected with the games at all. I work for a software company and only 70% of our employees are "technical" (programmers, support engineers, systems engineers and docs writers). The other 30% are account managers, sales people, HR, lawyers (quite a few of those), accountants, and all the other goons required to run a company.

70% technical staff is pretty high for a software company. (We only manage it because we're quite small and don't have a very deep management structure.) A big company like Blizzard probably has about 50:50 technical to non-technical staff.

...

I was kidding. I understand that there are more people working there than those to departments.

Ah. Sorry, sarcasm doesn't travel well over the internet!

bahumat42:

MetalMagpie:

Hammeroj:
Courtesy of Joystiq, the job distribution at Blizzard, August 2009.

90:10 is more like it.

I make that 3256:1724 technical:non-technical, assuming "Game Masters" count as technical staff. (Any idea what they are?) International Offices will be HR, accounts, legal, payroll, etc. Looks like they don't have internal marketing.

So about 60:30 technical to non-technical by a back-of-an-envelope-calc. Not that different to my company after all.

you don't know what a GM is?
its basically an ingame troubleshooting help desk. They fix shit, definitely not development related.

Oh, I see. So that's actually about 25:75 technical to non-technical.

MetalMagpie:

Hammeroj:

MetalMagpie:

It might not be anyone directly connected with the games at all. I work for a software company and only 70% of our employees are "technical" (programmers, support engineers, systems engineers and docs writers). The other 30% are account managers, sales people, HR, lawyers (quite a few of those), accountants, and all the other goons required to run a company.

70% technical staff is pretty high for a software company. (We only manage it because we're quite small and don't have a very deep management structure.) A big company like Blizzard probably has about 50:50 technical to non-technical staff.

Courtesy of Joystiq, the job distribution at Blizzard, August 2009.

Team size at Blizzard
Game Design: 37
Cinematics: 123
Platform Services: 245
Quality Assurance: 218
International Offices Population: 1,724
Game Masters: 2,056
Billing: 240
Quality Control: 67
Technical Support: 121
Online Technologies: 149

90:10 is more like it.

I make that 3256:1724 technical:non-technical, assuming "Game Masters" count as technical staff. (Any idea what they are?) International Offices will be HR, accounts, legal, payroll, etc. Looks like they don't have internal marketing.

So about 60:30 technical to non-technical by a back-of-an-envelope-calc. Not that different to my company after all.

Uh, yeah. Game masters are basically a lite version of what you'd call a server admin. They help out people with bugs they might have, answer questions, that sort of deal. The only reason they're called game masters is because they work within the game, but they're just support staff.

 Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Log in or Register to Comment
Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  
  
Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here