Rumors Swirl Over SimCity 5 Announcement Next Week

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumors Swirl Over SimCity 5 Announcement Next Week

A Maxis developer told a German gaming magazine about Maxis' plans to announce SimCity 5 for a 2013 release.

Among the pantheon of classic games, Will Wright's SimCity ranks up there with Civilization, Ultima and Wolfenstein 3d for me. Building a city from scratch and watching it grow was a lot more fun than it sounded, and then you got to throw tornadoes and dinosaurs at your fragile little city. Fun! While I didn't have as much to do with the sequels, the franchise has had a long and storied history complete with reboots and facelifts (SimCity 300). Wright's company has been busy with Spore and its darker brethren lately, but according to an interview with Maxis Vice President Lucy Bradshaw given to a German gaming magazine called GameStar and reported by Rincón del Simmer (rinconsimmer.jimdo.com), Maxis is currently developing SimCity 5 using a new engine called "Glassbox".

The interview is translated from German to Spanish to English, so there will be a little bit of specificity lost. Nevertheless, Bradshaw mentioned that the new Glassbox engine will have built-in multiplayer, roads that won't have to follow straight lines, and upgrade-able buildings. She nixxed the idea of importing your house from The Sims into your city, however.

Further evidence to suggest a large announcement will be coming in the next week, Maxis and EA is running a panel at GDC next week called "Inside the GlassBox". I'd imagine they would discuss the uses for such an engine at said panel. A senior PR manager at EA also Tweeeted last week that a major Maxis-related announcement was incoming soon.

All signs point to a SimCity 5 on the horizon. Get your natural disasters ready.

Source: Rincón del Simmer on Jimdo via Gamespot

Yay! A new real Sim City Game! And hopefully not one that fells like a BP product placement game.

My... My balls... I literally can't wait. Cities XL wasn't really the sort of game to take over the helm of Sim City 4's flagship. It had a good try, but no bacon.

I can't freaking wait... Did I mention I can't freaking wait?

Also, I hope this revives the more ambitious Sim titles. If it's anything like the travesty of Sim City societies, I won't even look at this franchise again. Same reaction if this is an origin exclusive.

This is one of those games that could end up being a disaster for EA if they decide to go crazy with restrictions. Maxis is one of the few company's under EA that has to some extent retained the ability to make decisions for themselves concerning release. I still wonder who they have something on.

If they make it Origin only, however painful it may be. I'll have to let it go.

Ahh Simcity 4, the game with the neediest fucking citizens of all fucking time and no matter how much you bust your balls for them, the ungrateful fuckers want more!

Sigh...still it was a fun game and I will keep an eye out for this one but pics like the one in the article piss me off because you could NEVER have such a stable income to pay for those landmarks.

Antari:

This fact hit me like a brick in the face.

I was so hyped until people brought up these points.

1- It's EA
2- They will no doubt make it origin exclusive
3- They will DLC the hell out of it

TizzytheTormentor:
Sigh...still it was a fun game and I will keep an eye out for this one but pics like the one in the article piss me off because you could NEVER have such a stable income to pay for those landmarks.

You can quite easily.

I was never very good unless I learned the (well, my) golden rule.

Adjust funding.

Seriously, after I saw you could adjust funding for schools and hospitals to hold different capacities of people I was rolling in cash eventually with utilities everywhere and hospitals and education galore.

I liked the first Simcity and the iPhone game, so I'm really looking forward to this one.
Just as long as it doesn't end up like Societies, then I'll be happy.

Matthew94:

TizzytheTormentor:

You can quite easily.

Adjust funding.

Seriously, after I saw you could adjust funding for schools and hospitals to hold different capacities of people I was rolling in cash eventually with utilities everywhere and hospitals and education galore.

When I adjusted my funding I got an earful from my advisors to raise it. After I raised it, I got another fucking earful from my advisors that it was my fault. I then got a news report from my advisor that claims a police officer tried to arrest a child for using a swing wrong and said it was due to the high funding and I'm here thinking "How the fuck is that my fault" The police in the city are morons, not my fault.

Also I had no trouble making money, it was having LOADS of expensive landmarks like in the above picture, not even working around the funding could do that.

well i can only hope this new engine has been made with an xbox 360 port in mind so my ageing PC can run it...

yes you read that right :P

Greg Tito:
The interview is translated from German to Spanish to English, so there will be a little bit of specificity lost. Nevertheless, Bradshaw mentioned that the new Glassbox engine will have built-in multiplayer, roads that won't have to follow straight lines, and upgrade-able buildings. She nixxed the idea of importing your house from The Sims into your city, however.

Big surprise, I woman won't let you keep the house.

I'd love for them to bring back all the other Sim titles, I really liked Sim Safari and Sim Park and Simtown and Sim Ants, LOVED Sim Theme Park

TizzytheTormentor:

Matthew94:

TizzytheTormentor:

You can quite easily.

Adjust funding.

When I adjusted my funding I got an earful from my advisors to raise it. After I raised it, I got another fucking earful from my advisors that it was my fault. I then got a news report from my advisor that claims a police officer tried to arrest a child for using a swing wrong and said it was due to the high funding and I'm here thinking "How the fuck is that my fault" The police in the city are morons, not my fault.

Also I had no trouble making money, it was having LOADS of expensive landmarks like in the above picture, not even working around the funding could do that.

I only got warnings to raise it when my buildings were over capacity.

When I first built a hospital it held say... 2000 people but only 200 were using it so you reduce funding until it's enough for 250 people and keep adjusting it as needed. Once you go over capacity you just increase it a bit more, you rarely get any messages of complaint that way.

A file I had that was only a few hours long was $2,000,000 in the black and I could afford shitloads of monuments with my current strategy.

For some reason, the pictures in the slide (that I'm guessing are screenshots from a Sim City 5 production beta) seem almost... distasteful... to me. I have no idea why exactly, but some of those pictures seem almost cartoonish... and I don't like cartoonish in my strategy and city building games.

And of course Origin, possibly, but otherwise, I'm game.

Matthew94:

TizzytheTormentor:

Matthew94:

You can quite easily.

Adjust funding.

I only got warnings to raise it when my buildings were over capacity.

When I first built a hospital it held say... 2000 people but only 200 were using it so you reduce funding until it's enough for 250 people and keep adjusting it as needed. Once you go over capacity you just increase it a bit more, you rarely get any messages of complaint that way.

A file I had that was only a few hours long was $2,000,000 in the black and I could afford shitloads of monuments with my current strategy.

There is a cheat "weaknesspays" all one word and it sucks because you only get 1000 from it. But anyway thanks for the tips, gonna install it this weekend and hopefully do a better job, thanks mate. Now maybe that bitch of a finance adviser will get off my back.

My money, all of it, NAU!

Seriously. Sim City is what made me a gamer wayyyy back when it first came out.

I could see myself buying this. Maxis formed a large part of my formative years as a gamer with Simcity original, 2000, Sim Copter (though my copy no longer works :/), Streets of Simcity and SimTower. Now don't require Origin...

Matthew94:

Antari:

This fact hit me like a brick in the face.

I was so hyped until people brought up these points.

1- It's EA
2- They will no doubt make it origin exclusive
3- They will DLC the hell out of it

Want to build roads? Better make sure you buy the collector's edition! Otherwise it'll be $20.

What is the status on if it will get DRM. If so then it fails out of the box...

I swore I'd never post on this site again for a while, but-

Where's a TARDIS when you need one?

I'm a big Sim City fan but I know this will be crap since EA is making it, so I'll just ignore it complete. If by some bizarre sequence of events I hear reports that it isn't total crap, then I'll ignore those reports and stop listening to crazy people.

Colinmac93:
I liked the first Simcity and the iPhone game, so I'm really looking forward to this one.
Just as long as it doesn't end up like Societies, then I'll be happy.

OH SHIT, I have Sim City on my iPhone! I totally forgot! I know what I'm doing all tomorrow!

At the risk of sounding cliché,

Wish I had a computer that could run it...

Wow, freaky. I was just thinking earlier today about a new Sim City game. And this one sounds awesome. Can't wait.

Rumors swirl around an announcement about an announcement. Man, the gaming industry has gotten weird lately.

OT: Agh, gawrsh drattit, I just bought Cities XL. Oh well, hopefully it won't come out too soon.

while i love the simcity games i think ill hold off until i see reviews.. i was half expecting a console based FPS port

I've already got Anno 2070 to keep me busy (it's a massive time sink) but this may be worth at least looking into.

I just jizzed all over my keyboard from reading the title.

D: 2013... But I want it now :P

Y'know, one of the main points of having advisers in these games is completely ignoring them because they're unable to understand anything outside of how they work, so once you've figured out how to game the system, you don't really have to listen to them. Realistically, they'd run affairs without you if they actually knew what they were doing.

The developer the magazine interviewed was then fired for divulging company secrets.

A new Sim City game?

Ooh, I hope it's a gritty FPS reboot! With RPG elements! I haven't played one of those in ages!

/sarcasm

Although seriously this is intriguing news. If this turns out to be more than a feeling rumour it'll be a must-buy release for me.

Meh, unless it adds something seriously game changing Ill give it a miss. The SC games got very samey for me quickly.

If we're talking simulation games I'd much rather see a reboot of the epic Theme Hospital...

Yeah, no I'm not getting burned like I did with Civilization 5. I will definitely not expect mod support from EA for Sim City 5. You want an actually functioning road system, buy the highway DLC $20 pack. No thanks EA.

TizzytheTormentor:
Ahh Simcity 4, the game with the neediest fucking citizens of all fucking time and no matter how much you bust your balls for them, the ungrateful fuckers want more!

Just like real life!

Captcha note: My keyboard doesn't have Arabic characters...why do you insist on putting three in a row that do?

I hope we get more building space then the last games. Something like the size of a whole region would be cool.

And curvable streets? How will that work? especially with zoning. Oh Celestia I hope the pen tool doesn't come back to haunt me.

And I'm hopeful that Maxis will sidestep EAs crap policies of off the hook DLC/Origin only system. It's took good of a series to ruin.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here