Nintendo Rejects Binding of Isaac on 3DS

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nintendo Rejects Binding of Isaac on 3DS

"Questionable religious content" means The Binding of Isaac will not be coming to the 3DS.

Team Meat co-founder Edmund McMillen let it be known today that Nintendo has given the thumbs-down to a 3DS version of The Binding of Isaac. "Attention: After a long internal debate Nintendo has decided NOT to allow the Binding of Isaac on the 3ds," he wrote on Twitter. "As many assumed the reasons were due to the games 'questionable religious content'. Thank GOD Steam exists!"

When a follower suggested that it might be the game's "suggestive themes, suggested child nudity, and gore" that actually gave Nintendo pause, McMillen insisted that it was in fact the religious content that hung things up, responding, "No actually they were fine with the M rating and that content... somehow." But he also emphasized that the decision will not affect future releases on the platform, adding, "FYI everyone, we are not at all on bad terms with Nintendo. its their platform their rules, this wont effect any future games with them!"

Still, McMillen obviously isn't happy with the decision, telling Joystiq that it's "a bit primitive to 'censor' something due to religion." Team Meat is now considering the viability of bring The Binding of Isaac to Sony platforms.

Wow, Nintendo. Your draconian family friendliness bullshit is really grating the nerves of many. No wonder I stay away from your products.

I would certainly buy Binding of Isaac on PSP. Just make it better optimised than the PC version and it's all dandy.

After all the Persona games on PlayStation platforms, inFamous 2, and a Chimera called Satan in Resistance 3, I don't think Sony have a problem with religious themes. Hopefully that means I'll get to give the game a go on PS3 or Vita soon, it looks pretty mad. Super Meat Boy wouldn't be unwelcome either.

Nintendo's archaic and bizarre approach to game content manages to shoot them in the foot again. Congratulations, Ninty.

Yes please!

Come to Sony on the Vita or PS3 and I will gladly play you while giving my 3DS a stern look every so often.

God told them to do it.

I have over 60h in this game, bought the Unholy Edition last month (and make a friend happy by gifting him this amazing, disturbing game) and am working on 100% the game.

I really can't stop shaking my head. "Questionable religious content" is a crazy nutjob hearing voices to kill her son and Satan...

So Nintendo, you want to cater to a more mature audience? To core gamer? Why don't allow a well selling indie title (over 450k through Steam) to support your rather weak selling platform.

Bring this on the Vita and I'd probably get myself one. When they add a mentionable akku.

Also, I won't bring up games like Pokemon (*cough Ghosts cough basically God-Pokemon*) which contain more disturbing religious messages than Binding of Isaac.

Off playing Pokemon!

First Meat boy and Now This? How am I going to play games by team meat on a nintendo system. So far all is have is a micro game they made for warioware DIY

Wow. It's like we're back in the early 90s.

Methinks Nintendo is letting the Wii go to its head. Let the cycle continue!

This was stupid

Kevlar Eater:
Wow, Nintendo. Your draconian family friendliness bullshit is really grating the nerves of many...

It's as though the last two major 3DS retail releases haven't been M rated and that Nintendo hasn't allowed games on the Wii whose extreme mature content has actually got them governmentally banned/censored in some countries.

Really, wait till this game is on PlayStation and Xbox before you start using Binding of Issac as a talking point for how outrageously oppressive and backward Nintendo is for rejecting it.

Also, the idea that Pokémon contains anything resembling a "religious message or content" in the manner of Binding of Issac is laughable.

I'm sure the other major handheld manufacturer won't share Nintendo's concern, and it'll be their gain should the opportunity arise. Fantastic game, Nintendo's decision making process continues to baffle me.

Really?... Really Nintendo?. I mean... seriously!??.

I've played many of my favorite M rated games on a Nintendo console, I mean, they're no strangers to lots of violence and other nasty stuff, I know that The Binding of Isaac, as it is, it's pretty grotesque like any of McMillen's works and I think it would be pretty fine with Nintendo to release the game, BUT not releasing it due to "questionable religious content"?... that's just... I mean... SERIOUSLY!??.

I dont get why this is such a surprise, Nintendo is well known for being a bit paranoid about religion, its somewhat understandable since they try and hit that family friendly market and it doesn't take too many nutjobs yelling about how nintendo is the devil to hurt that... although they already have morons doing that about pokemon.

Why would you even think Nintendo would let you put this on a DS (which is 'for kiddies' in the US)?

I'm sure Sony will be happy to let you put it on the PSP/Vita.

Additionally I'd like to bring up the point, when was the last time that Nintendo themselves have outright REJECTED a game presented to them and disallowed it to ever be published on their system on the basis of content?

Hell, the last case of Nintendo requesting that a game even be altered for "appropriateness" was a minor clothing alteration on the boxart of some obscure multiplatform game from the GameCube era.

Some of the reactions I've seen are as though Nintendo does this routinely and frequently. I can't really remember Nintendo actually forbidding a game to come out on their system or significantly censoring it since the Super NES days. There was even an M rated GTA game.

And I'm not just saying this because I love the fact that Nintendo rejected this game. I actually think it would have been AWESOME if they had gone ahead with allowing it.

I think the only reason Resident Evil: Revelations wasn't blocked was because they mangled the use of Dante's Inferno so heavily that nobody could actually figure out why they were using it besides being able to make the names of enemies sound cooler.

weirdguy:
I think the only reason Resident Evil: Revelations wasn't blocked was because they mangled the use of Dante's Inferno so heavily that nobody could actually figure out why they were using it besides being able to make the names of enemies sound cooler.

Dante's Inferno is an explicit work of fiction whereas the story of Abraham and his first son is actual religious teaching at the heart of three major world religions.

Something important to consider when comparing those two games.

Aaaaaaand Nintendo screws people over again, what a fucking surprise.

Show Nintendo Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (Lucifer's call in PAL regions) See how they like THAT questionable religious content.

"Thank GOD Steam exists!"

Eh...no.

Exactly the same thing can happen with steam. A lot of indie games get rejected, actually. Of course that's also in order to keep some quality on the market, but in the end the correct quote should be

"Thank GOD that computers exists, and we can basically do anything we want with them."

since even if steam had rejected him, he could have simply sold it from an own website.

With America being Nintendo's most important market and children (and their parents!) making up a large chunk of their audience, they cannot make such a move. The press backlash would be incredible and not even remotely comparable with this. They could release it in Europe without any problems, though. steam has an entirely different demography to begin with, you can't compare them.

Nintendo, you do want people to buy your stuff right? So let people make stuff for your stuff <.<

TizzytheTormentor:

Show Nintendo Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (Lucifer's call in PAL regions) See how they like THAT questionable religious content.

Your move.

SuperTrainStationH:
Additionally I'd like to bring up the point, when was the last time that Nintendo themselves have outright REJECTED a game presented to them and disallowed it to ever be published on their system on the basis of content?

Hell, the last case of Nintendo requesting that a game even be altered for "appropriateness" was a minor clothing alteration on the boxart of some obscure multiplatform game from the GameCube era.

Some of the reactions I've seen are as though Nintendo does this routinely and frequently. I can't really remember Nintendo actually forbidding a game to come out on their system or significantly censoring it since the Super NES days. There was even an M rated GTA game.

I agree with this. Plus Isaac is overrated in my opinion (lacking the super-advanced-technology of "shoot in more than 4 directions" and "saving" because those things are for mindless mainstream COD sheep.)

I'd personally have a look at this little webpage

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/Nintendo.php

The crosses on the tombstones in Ducktales were changed to "RIP" for the US release; because crosses are a religious symbol.

That's how anal they are about it.

I haven't played this game, but it looks like a borderline AO game. Maybe that is why Nintendo didn't want to publish it.

Kevlar Eater:
Wow, Nintendo. Your draconian family friendliness bullshit is really grating the nerves of many. No wonder I stay away from your products.

You read the article, Right? Because I think you'll find that they were willing to let suggestive themes, suggested child nudity, and gore go. I still agree that it's a tad ridiculous that they won't let the game on the 3DS because of the questionable religious content, but I'm not about to say they have draconian family friendliness after they were letting the other stuff go.

O.T: As I said, I find it ridiculous that they denied a game based on questionable religious content.

Not just kids own 3ds's... I bought one because I wanted a decent portable system and it was on sale. I mean they allow resident evil so what gives..

Rocklobster99:

TizzytheTormentor:

Your move.

The final boss you're wondering...God (no really, you fight god...and Satan...and Lucifer...I'll stop)

THIS JUST IN: NINTENDO HAS DONE THE FOLLOWING BECAUSE (some) RELIGIOUS FOLKS MIGHT FIND STUFF OFFENSIVE.

-Link officially comes out as a heterosexual.
-Samus is now a male.
-BLOOD has been removed from all future games.
-'Trainers' have now OFFICIALLY been renamed 'Masters' and 'Pokemon
(Pocket Monsters)' have been renamed as 'Pokeabom (Pocket Abominations).
-Kirby is no longer allow to suck up male enemies.
-Mario stories will now be a tale of a married man trying to protect his wife's virginity.
-All females leads will either be replaced by males OR Rule 63'd.
-In some regions all female characters will have to cover themselves to varying degree.
-All world maps are now FLAT.
-All kinds of 'magic' are now ban or shown to be an evil that corrupts all.

Derp

I am Catholic and I did not find this game offensive. It is purely a work of fiction INSPIRED by a Bible story, not intended as an insult or to be taken as what the Bible actually says. I don't really see the issue.

P.S. Thanks

Of all the odd reasons to prevent a game from being distributed to your console... I mean... Urgh... Why bother complaining anymore. Ever since I played Smash Bros. Brawl, I've pretty much been able to track Nintendo's downward spiral into one stupid decision and idea after another. Something like this should be surprising, but it isn't. It really isn't.

This is the difference between Nintendo and Sony.
Nintendo can easily refuse decent games for its handheld and it will still make a killing.
Sony are practically begging developers for shit on the Vita and they are gonna bomb.

But eh, Nintendo are retarded. As long as its clear what the game contains then its just restricting your customers selection for no good reason.

Nintendo.

Do you like money?

I know you do. Team Meat likes money too. So why don't you go and make money by just letting this bloody game on your stupid gimmicky product that everyone regrets buying?

Not defending Nintendo or anything but...come on, who didn't see it coming? This game can easily be released on PSN or XBLA. But Nintendo? Know your audience, kids. Nintendo is all about boring family and kid fun nowadays. Of COURSE they're not gonna want to release this game for the #1 handheld system among kids.

Yeah, it's kind of a double standard. Yeah, it's pretty primitive. But again, it's Nintendo. Honestly, I'm not surprised. It's kind of their thing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here