Revolutionary Info Dump Officially Heralds Assassin's Creed III

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Get it? Because it's unlike anything we've seen from the series before and the new game is set during the American Revolution! It's a play on words!

Sigh. You don't get it.

Regardless, after a weekend full of details leaking out about the upcoming Assassin's Creed III, Ubisoft has decided to make it official with a full trailer and a smattering of new info on the game. That's the trailer at top-right.

As you might have noticed, that snow-bound, forested setting is neither Renaissance Italy, nor the antediluvian Middle East. Instead, this new game drops players into the middle of the American Revolution as a half-British/half-Native American assassin named "Ratohnhaké:ton."

Seriously. "Ratohnhaké:ton." Though he also goes by "Connor," presumably to avoid people continually asking how they're supposed to pronounce that mid-moniker colon.

Long-time series fans may also notice that unlike Altair and Ezio, Connor is able to scale trees. That's thanks to the brand new engine Ubisoft has created for ACIII. Dubbed "Ubisoft-AnvilNext," the company promises that it will make everything look better, while also greatly improving enemy artificial intelligence. Standard "we have a new engine" bluster really, but based on the trailer, ACIII does look a whole lot nicer than its predecessors.

As expected, Assassin's Creed III is scheduled for release on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on October 31 of this year, though in a break with tradition, Ubisoft is also working on an iteration of the game for a Nintendo console, specifically the upcoming Wii U.

Expect a steady stream of information on the game for the next 6 months.

Good god, can we at least wait a year before launching another game? This yearly installment crap is driving me nuts.

Now that's quite a declaration if I do say so myself.

... Half British assassin that's attacking the British.

SEEMS LEGIT.

Don't really care all that much about the setting as far as the time period is concerned, but the gameplay looks like it could be nice and I love them setting at least part of the game in winter.

I wonder if this will also have tower defense. Or if they'll include some other silly mini-game.

Doc Theta Sigma:
... Half British assassin that's attacking the British.

SEEMS LEGIT.

Keep in mind that it's a French company making this. Probably a wet dream of theirs or something.

Thank God that dude also goes by "Conner" since his other name is just ridiculous, a colon really?

Interesting to see how this story will turn out, and I kinda hope that this will be the end of the yearly AC release. I love the series, but I'm having a hard time missing it and thinking fondly of it if it keeps coming around every year.

At least in the snow the white clown suit makes sense for somebody not trying to draw attention to himself.

My inner history nerd rushes to point out that his clothes seem similar to the French Military uniforms of the time.

I just hope this doesn't become a case of only the British being the bad guys. Especially considering how many of the founding fathers were Freemasons.

I must say this has raised my interest level. The whole open forest thing looks interesting and should flow very naturally in the series evolution. Since I've played AssCreed1 and found it very boring after the first few hours, I've played quite a bit of AssCreed2 but encountered the same problems as the first game(and didn't bother with the other pasta eating sequels) I didn't think I'd have any interest left for this series. Let's hope this isn't just more of the same.

Also I'm not sure who's training these people, but their outfit just blends in less and less. Altair looked ok, a bit fancy, but didn't stand out THAT much, Ezzio looked even more like a peacock than the rest of renascence Italy (no small feat) and this guy is just asking for trouble... I mean I get we're supposed to show some suspension of disbelief, but c'mon, you're telling me he's going around dressed like THAT and guards don't spot him from half the town away?

No mention of Desmond and his antics. Colour me disappointed. Something tells me I'm going to miss clambering all over rooftops in this game.

The thing I'm not liking so far is the Conor is Mohawk yet is fighting against the british. If he at least fights agaisnt the Americans as well that will make me feel better.

I understand that so far Templars in this series have been on both sides of any factions in the concerned time period but that did seem to side more with the known templar Washington and seemed pretty determined to make anything wearing red to stop breathing, just hope the British aren't seen as purely evil

Yay! I share a name with him! Now I can feel super immersed whenever someone talks to me in game!

Soviet Heavy:
Good god, can we at least wait a year before launching another game? This yearly installment crap is driving me nuts.

its been in production for 3 years.

CrazyBlaze:
The thing I'm not liking so far is the Conor is Mohawk yet is fighting against the british. If he at least fights agaisnt the Americans as well that will make me feel better.

It will probably be a combination of the Free Masons which i think derived from or are a form of the Templars (which would include famous Americans and their order) and British (just because the Templars have British roots)

VladG:
I must say this has raised my interest level. The whole open forest thing looks interesting and should flow very naturally in the series evolution. Since I've played AssCreed1 and found it very boring after the first few hours, I've played quite a bit of AssCreed2 but encountered the same problems as the first game(and didn't bother with the other pasta eating sequels) I didn't think I'd have any interest left for this series. Let's hope this isn't just more of the same.

Also I'm not sure who's training these people, but their outfit just blends in less and less. Altair looked ok, a bit fancy, but didn't stand out THAT much, Ezzio looked even more like a peacock than the rest of renascence Italy (no small feat) and this guy is just asking for trouble... I mean I get we're supposed to show some suspension of disbelief, but c'mon, you're telling me he's going around dressed like THAT and guards don't spot him from half the town away?

Um.... notice how there's snow... and he's an Assassin (discretion is the name of the game).... and snow also happens to be white! Ahem... thats enough problem solving for the day eh!

Jaeke:

Soviet Heavy:

Still, the sheer overabundance of Asscreed since 2009 just leaves me sick of it. Even if it has been in development since 2, having 2, then Brotherhood, then Revalations each a year apart leaves no time for anything to sink in, since the next iteration is coming out soon enough.

Soviet Heavy:

Jaeke:

Soviet Heavy:

Still, the sheer overabundance of Asscreed since 2009 just leaves me sick of it. Even if it has been in development since 2, having 2, then Brotherhood, then Revalations each a year apart leaves no time for anything to sink in, since the next iteration is coming out soon enough.

I totally get what you mean, Revalations did begin to show its scars from the annual toll. Let's hope this one stays fresh!

Jaeke:

CrazyBlaze:

It will probably be a combination of the Free Masons which i think derived from or are a form of the Templars (which would include famous Americans and their order) and British (just because the Templars have British roots)

I would be fine with that as long as he doesn't see the British as the only enemy.

I thought it was interesting that American generals of the 1770s apparently liked to give speeches mid-battle while on the frontlines.

Jaeke:

VladG:

Um.... notice how there's snow... and he's an Assassin (discretion is the name of the game).... and snow also happens to be white! Ahem... thats enough problem solving for the day eh!

Yeah, because all the game will be played in a snow-covered forest. Assassin's creed in some sort of city? That's just silly! Since you're being a dick, how about you notice all that blue that really blends in with the snow.

I'm pretty excited about the treerunning.

DVS BSTrD:
Now that's quite a declaration if I do say so myself.

Hehehe. Seriously though, is that supposed to be George Washington in the trailer?
He looks like a blur with the worst wig ever so far, new engine bluster aside :P

That trailer was the UK version, yes because that is going to go down GREAT with us Brits. The whole 'we escape slavery to fight for freedom' stuff will turn off a few people. Lots of people I know (avid fans of Assasins Creed, except maybe Revelations) either don't want to get it because they're wary of an anti-British sentiment.

AssCreed games really don't do it for me, but I like the fact that they've finally gone for a new context. I was kinda hoping for something a little more obscure, but hey, running around snowy forests in the American Revolution with tomohawks sounds pretty neat. That, and I fully expect half the game's narrative to revolve around Rat-on-hackie-tun becoming an assassin because he got sick of arguing with social security officials who turned down his welfare payment applications because he refused to write out his name without punctuation.

Yeah, UbiSoft needs to show him going after Americans as well. The King may not be a Templar, but his generals and commanders may be and are trying to throw the war in order to create a country ruled by the Templars. Once that (ideally) comes forward then the anti-British sentiment should die off. I just hope that they get to that quickly.

Earnest Cavalli:

Get it? Because it's unlike anything we've seen from the series before and the new game is set during the American Revolution! It's a play on words!

Sigh. You don't get it.

Regardless, after a weekend full of details leaking out about the upcoming Assassin's Creed III, Ubisoft has decided to make it official with a full trailer and a smattering of new info on the game. That's the trailer at top-right.

As you might have noticed, that snow-bound, forested setting is neither Renaissance Italy, nor the antediluvian Middle East. Instead, this new game drops players into the middle of the American Revolution as a half-British/half-Native American assassin named "Ratohnhaké:ton."

Seriously. "Ratohnhaké:ton." Though he also goes by "Connor," presumably to avoid people continually asking how they're supposed to pronounce that mid-moniker colon.

Long-time series fans may also notice that unlike Altair and Ezio, Connor is able to scale trees. That's thanks to the brand new engine Ubisoft has created for ACIII. Dubbed "Ubisoft-AnvilNext," the company promises that it will make everything look better, while also greatly improving enemy artificial intelligence. Standard "we have a new engine" bluster really, but based on the trailer, ACIII does look a whole lot nicer than its predecessors.

As expected, Assassin's Creed III is scheduled for release on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC on October 31 of this year, though in a break with tradition, Ubisoft is also working on an iteration of the game for a Nintendo console, specifically the upcoming Wii U.

Expect a steady stream of information on the game for the next 6 months.

So a Large New Game
New Graphics Engine
New Character
New Zone that is incredibly Large
Been Worked on for the past 3 years (supposedly)

ABOUT DAMN TIME!

Anyone else find it strange that he's got all his fingers? I thought one of the major bits from the Series was that the assassins lopped off one of their ring fingers to facilitate the hidden blade...

Starke:
Anyone else find it strange that he's got all his fingers? I thought one of the major bits from the Series was that the assassins lopped off one of their ring fingers to facilitate the hidden blade...

That part was eliminated in Assassin's Creed 2, It hasn't been necessary for a long time.

Looks pretty cool. But how are the Brits going to feel about this? Aren't a lot of Escapist members in the UK?

itsausernamewhatofit:

Starke:

That part was eliminated in Assassin's Creed 2, It hasn't been necessary for a long time.

I thought what's'er name in the Desmond sequences in 1 was missing a ring finger as well... or was that just retconned as random coincidence.

Starke:

itsausernamewhatofit:

Starke:

I thought what's'er name in the Desmond sequences in 1 was missing a ring finger as well... or was that just retconned as random coincidence.

Nope she had all 10 fingers. She bends one finger to signal Desmond that she is an assassin at one point though.

itsausernamewhatofit:

Starke:

itsausernamewhatofit:

Nope she had all 10 fingers. She bends one finger to signal Desmond that she is an assassin at one point though.

I stand corrected. It's been a long time since I played the original.

I'm still kinda sick about the yearly AC game drop. I haven't even started playing Revelations or even completely finished the second one. I love AC, but come on.

At any rate, I say this guy blends in quite well with the environment, what with the blue coat from those soldiers and the white and the snow. But my first impression was that this guy's only reason for being half British is so that he can wear a coat without looking out of place. But we'll see when the game is released.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here