Famous Fighter Joins Dead Or Alive 5 Courtesy Sega

Famous Fighter Joins Dead Or Alive 5 Courtesy Sega

Virtua Fighter mainstay Akira Yuki has joined the Dead or Alive 5 cast.

Just like the lede says. Don't believe me? Watch the newly-released footage at top-right.

Fans of the Dead or Alive games will recall that unexpected guest characters are nothing new to the series. After all, Dead or Alive 4 featured an off-brand Master Chief as some kind of Microsoft/Tecmo cross-promotional effort owing to that game's Xbox 360 exclusivity.

Since Dead or Alive 5 is not exclusive to the Dreamcast 2 (as far as we know), we're scratching our heads trying to figure out what Sega gets from this arrangement. That said, the inclusion of Virtua Fighter's main dude makes a whole lot more sense canonically than Nicole-458 ever did. Likewise, he looks way better in combat than the hulking Spartan ever did.

Actually, I have to hand it to whoever came up with this idea. The inclusion of Akira in DOA5 is the best fighting game fan service mash-up I've seen since Capcom vs SNK. Akira looks perfectly suited to the action in this game, and the slightly "floaty" nature of the DOA series' physics are even somewhat reminiscent of early Virtua Fighter titles. Thus when he starts juggling his opponent with rapid elbow and shoulder strikes, it actually looks like a seamless mashup of the two titles.

This stands in stark contrast to Street Fighter X Tekken. Obviously Pac-Man makes no sense whatsoever, but even that jerk from inFamous, the angsty, generic dude who is ostensibly a human, looks entirely out of place in comparison to Ryu and Kazuya Mishima since his native gameplay style is so disparate from theirs.

So, propers to Tecmo Koei and Sega. Y'all are doing fan service correctly.

Would have been nice to see actual characters from fighting games that I recognize, like that Law guy (forget his first name) from the Tekken series, he is so bad ass

I like to complain so why Akira? I get the 2 games have similar fighting styles but Mai Shiranui is the one we all want to see in Dead or Alive!

also when does this game release anyways?

At least he fits into the world to a degree. (even if Akira looks like a very bland character.) Who was their last guest character? Oh yeah...a Halo 3 spartan.

"Challenger comes" (in their pants)?
I love me a good bit of Engrish!

No idea who this character is tho. Seems like Blandy Mc Blandypants to me, considdering we're talking the insane world of fighting games...

Wow Cole really gets the hate piled on him in these posts. Until Tekken X Street Fighter comes around he's actually the only reason I'd buy those games.

Earnest Cavalli:
Since Dead or Alive 5 is not exclusive to the Dreamcast 2 (as far as we know), we're scratching our heads trying to figure out what Sega gets from this arrangement.

Hmmm.. how about exposure? With a new VF game hitting soon and pretty much noone outside of it's already existing (and small, even in Japan) fanbase, Sega wants people to actually know that there still is something called Virtua Fighter.

Like it or loathe it, DOA is much much better known than VF is. It's also much more accessible to more casual players than VF is. Plus, the idea of the crossover in fighting games is the hot thing right now and Team Ninja has already gone on record as saying that if there was one game they would do a crossover with it would be VF. Oh, and on a purely mechanical level, VF and DOA are much closer to eachothan than VF is to, say, Tekken so any crossover that does occur, be it single character or full game, is much easier to implement.

Anywho, I can't wait for the new DOA but don't care at all about Akira. Sure, he is "Mr. VF" but he's probably the last member of the VF cast I'd ever want to actually play, VF game or DOA game. Give me Lion or Sarah any day.

As interesting as all this is, I'm afraid you lost me at "Dreamcast 2."

Anybody else catch he was using Gen Fu/Elliot's moveset?

Just mash up the whole thing. "Virtually Alive" will be fine...

Hmm, take a character from a series that is super technical and precise and put him in a series that is almost the polar opposite. I'm not sure about this one.

However if it brings the superb Virtua Fighter series more recognition I'm all for it.

I missed DoA. The environments were amazing, Smashing people off posts, out of windows... It went on and on.

Even on the least interactive levels the floor tiles would smash when you slammed people or stamped. Its a shame other titles didnt take any of this on.

Huh......watching that video really makes me wanna start playing DoA/Virtua Fighter.

somewhere inside me is a little part that read the title and hoped it was Ryo Hazuki.
I will always keep hoping for shenmue 3!

jayzz911:
somewhere inside me is a little part that read the title and hoped it was Ryo Hazuki.
I will always keep hoping for shenmue 3!

All we can do is keep hoping. Hoping that Yu Suzuki inherits the millions needed to fund another one.

If there's one thing DOA does, it's fan-service.

Earnest Cavalli:

This stands in stark contrast to Street Fighter X Tekken. Obviously Pac-Man makes no sense whatsoever, but even that jerk from inFamous, the angsty, generic dude who is ostensibly a human, looks entirely out of place in comparison to Ryu and Kazuya Mishima since his native gameplay style is so disparate from theirs.

way to be impartial, you know how jornalists are supposed to be! But no, insulting a gaming character you don't like is fine... lets have a list of characters you love so I can start picking on them.

Do you have a problem with Ezio Auditore being in Soul Calibur V? Or Freddy Kruger in Mortal Kombat? No then leave Cole alone!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here