Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Loses Cross-Platform Play

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Loses Cross-Platform Play

Valve has decided to remove cross-platform play from Counter-strike: Global Offensive in favor of more frequent updates.

One of the more interesting features of Valve's upcoming update of classic online-shooter-turned-insult-festival Counter-Strike, was that the game would allow players to compete against each other regardless of their chosen platform. Assuming their chosen platform wasn't the 360. But apparently Valve has chosen to remove the feature, meaning PC/console gamers looking to show those filthy console-peons who's boss/take those smug PC gamers down a notch will have to stick to calling each other names on internet forums.

"The beta has proved we want to update not just the beta, but the game itself post-launch frequently on the PC," Valve's Chet Faliszek told Joystiq. "To do that we need to separate the platforms so one doesn't hamstring the other. So for that, we have removed the idea of cross-platform play -- essentially make all platforms stronger by not mixing them."

While Valve controls the distribution platform for the PC version of Counter-strike: Global Offensive, and can therefore churn out game updates whenever it feels like it, updates for the PS3 version of the game would have to be vetted by Sony. Valve ran into similar problems with the multi-platform release of Team Fortress 2. While PC gamers got access to all kinds of free content on a semi-regular basis, console gamers got absolutely zip, apparently due to the restrictions Microsoft places on XBOX live content.

Source: Joystiq

MASS EFFECT 3 WOO! GARBLEBLARGH

Anyway, it's a shame that they had to take out cross platform play. Perhaps they could re-implement it after the post-launch patch spam?

And i came onto this thread expecting to blame Sony for a direct intervention.

Well, i could still blame them, but not as much.

I would think this is going to make 90% of the CS:GO playerbase be on the PC. If i had a vested interest in buying CS:GO right now i would certainly get the PC version now.

Also it seems to me that this could be easily solved by Sony allowing Valve to instantly apply updates as they pleased without having to go through the verifying process. After all, the best verifyers are the players themselves.

Damn, I was really looking forward to playing with friends who use PC over console.

This is a real shame, it almost feels like cross-platform casual competition will never get off the ground if even Valve can't get it round the bends :(

D'aww, I was looking forward to having an unfair advantage over PS3 gamers. (Note: This post is in no way intended to knock gamepads in general, only their use in shooters. I love my PS3, and I use my PS3 controller on my PC for all sorts of stuff... but I wouldn't even consider it for CS.)

P.S. Thanks

Didn't this site publish a story about a study showing that crap PC players played better against great console players because the keyboard was skewed in their favor? Granted I don't know the legitimacy of that study but still. Why do developers keep trying to make this work?

Valve are doing something to get stuff out the door faster?
Oh and look, there are some flying pigs outside!

Bet they realized durin the beta that they'd have to gimp the crap outta the PC players to give the console players even a remote chance of victory.

shintakie10:
Bet they realized durin the beta that they'd have to gimp the crap outta the PC players to give the console players even a remote chance of victory.

...No. That's not it. :I

Sony: The reason we can't have nice things.

Maybe some Sony executive will see this issue and make updating PS3 games easier for the devs. And then maybe Jesus will return.
It would have been cool to have some cross platform play, but the amount Valve updates their games I can see this being a massive problem.

JamesCG:

shintakie10:

Heh...I know. I mean, its probably one of the minor reasons, but their experience with Team Fortress 2 is a good indicator that they never ever wanted to deal with that again.

JamesCG:

shintakie10:

No, it probably is it. And it's not a cry of superiority over console players, or some sort of obtuse arguement about how ze hardvare of ze pc mastar race is ZOOPERIOR but rather, the fact of the matter is the mouse is superior for precision aiming from a first person perspective. It's faster and more accurate by enough to show a noticable difference between players utilizing a mouse and players utilizing gamepads because analog sticks weren't designed for that sort of movement - just how a mouse and keyboard is absolute bullocks for fighting games because only sticks and arrow pads are optimized for it.

At least Xbox players wont be the only ones left out now...

Good. CS:GO is keeping...we,the glorious PC gaming master race, will be free of the console peasants and their filthy controller hands being unable to keep up with the keyboard mastery.

Honestly, that's a good thing. With the way CS: Source is now; full of incredibly skilled people who play the game constantly and murder everyone, the PS3 players would get absolutely destroyed.

The sad thing is, they could just as easily add Mouse+Keyboard support to the PS3 version, it DOES have USB ports. But they prolly won't even bother with that.

P.S. Thanks

gigastar:
Also it seems to me that this could be easily solved by Sony allowing Valve to instantly apply updates as they pleased without having to go through the verifying process. After all, the best verifyers are the players themselves.

I'm honestly surprised that didn't already happen. What with their newer PS3 games using Steam and all rather than PSN. Come on, Sony, what'll it take?

So this makes perfect sense. Steam is Valve's personal platform and if we compare the console version of Team Fortress 2 and the PC version we see what they are capable of. I think it's better this way. Also I would say that console gamers would have an unfair disadvantage against PC gamers because a mouse allows a lot faster movement and more accuracy than a gamepad.

Yeah Valve. You keep telling everyone that it's Microsoft's fault you can't fix gamebreaking glitches in the 360 version of TF2.

So for the CS are they doing the same thing as TF2 then? Planning all the updates for the PC then going to blame Sony/Microsoft for not doing the same for consoles? Valve you don't feel much guilt for nickel and dimeing people for TF2's Mann Co store so why object having some paid DLC like how consoles traditionally work?

Awexsome:
Yeah Valve. You keep telling everyone that it's Microsoft's fault you can't fix gamebreaking glitches in the 360 version of TF2.

So for the CS are they doing the same thing as TF2 then? Planning all the updates for the PC then going to blame Sony/Microsoft for not doing the same for consoles? Valve you don't feel much guilt for nickel and dimeing people for TF2's Mann Co store so why object having some paid DLC like how consoles traditionally work?

Because Valve likes to give out free DLC / patches for their game, whereas on the consoles they have to pay around $40,000 for one single patch. That is why in most games the consoles don't get nearly the same amount of updates the PC does. Heck, even Skyrim is an recent example. We're already getting more patches (another one due to come this week with even more features) while the consoles are going to have to wait until they release some DLC or not.

Oh and also, PC players get free DLC something console players can't get. Your argument is now invalid and stupid.

You mean I won't have to play with filthy console peasants now? Thank god.

On a more serious note, I'm glad this is happening as a PC gamer. I've been completely spoiled by Valve's policy of releasing large updates completely for free...I was worried they might go to a DLC scheme for their future releases.

Awexsome:

You know, update size limitations and payment for a patch is not a xBox 360 exclusive thing.

On Topic: Both thumbs up. I want a game that is SUPPORTED by the dev, not a game where the dev is struggling with the platform holder. I am REALLY happy that as a PC player I'm not getting the shaft in terms of patches because some console player wants to be stoped into the ground because he can't keep up with mouse and keyboard.

But yeah, keep defendig the platform where you have to pay for patches I get for free. It's always Valves fault because Sony / MS are angels towards the gaming community...

And you know what the Mann & CO store is? Shit I can get for free with a little time investment. And cosmetic shit I don't need. Yup, compareable to DLC essential to the enjoyment of the game.

Dragonmaster3:

Awexsome:

Because Valve likes to give out free DLC / patches for their game, whereas on the consoles they have to pay around $40,000 for one single patch. That is why in most games the consoles don't get nearly the same amount of updates the PC does. Heck, even Skyrim is an recent example. We're already getting more patches (another one due to come this week with even more features) while the consoles are going to have to wait until they release some DLC or not.

Oh and also, PC players get free DLC something console players can't get. Your argument is now invalid and stupid.

Your argument is excellent and true.
But that doesn't mean that the BAAWWWers will listen to you.

Gah, now I'm going to be up against REAL players...

Its a shame that the 360's update process is so fraught that it makes it an actual detrement to the PC version. Microsoft needs to learn to open up theirplatform and not treat every content update as "DLC" and thus try and charge for it.

jdogtwodolla:
Didn't this site publish a story about a study showing that crap PC players played better against great console players because the keyboard was skewed in their favor? Granted I don't know the legitimacy of that study but still. Why do developers keep trying to make this work?

The "study" was actually a rumor somebody created with absolutely nothing at all to back up his statement. Since then for some reason it has been treated like an actual fact by moronic pc gamers.

Covarr:
The sad thing is, they could just as easily add Mouse+Keyboard support to the PS3 version, it DOES have USB ports. But they prolly won't even bother with that.

P.S. Thanks

They were going to, they might still me doing.

DVS BSTrD:
Sony: The reason we can't have nice things.

Nowhere does it say that this is totally Sony's fault

Well I'll be honest, it was always a bad idea.
CS is a highly competitive game so non mouse users would probably leave it in a matter of days, I would understand it much better if this feature was introduced in TF2.

It is a smart choice. PS3 players would be raped by those CS lunatics anyway. I know, I am one of them.

Das Boot:

jdogtwodolla:

The "study" was actually a rumor somebody created with absolutely nothing at all to back up his statement. Since then for some reason it has been treated like an actual fact by moronic pc gamers.

That sounds reasonable. I'm not against the idea and didn't take that story to heart because I didn't know if it was legit. I'm really disappointed about how any story I come across that usually has the developer scrap the idea.

shintakie10:

That was the first thing I thought of as well.

I was looking forward to using the power of my mouse to prove the superiority of mouse and keyboard over gamepads for FPS once and for all.

Ilikemilkshake:

Yeah, more likely they don't want to put up with more shit from Microsoft's XBOX division over the patch schedule. You know. Like precisely why TF2 on X360 sucks.

ResonanceSD:

Ilikemilkshake:

Yeah, more likely they don't want to put up with more shit from Microsoft's XBOX division over the patch schedule. You know. Like precisely why TF2 on X360 sucks.

True, i was joking with what i said obviously but yeah MS should really loosen their iron grip over updates and free dlc, given that it's screwed over more than a few games.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here