Hindus Upset Over Asura's Wrath

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Dasick:

oldtaku:
'the game trivializes the symbols and concepts of the Hindu religion.'

The game takes the symbols and concepts of the Hindu religion and makes them awesome.

How? By removing all of the meaning associated with the symbols and using them in a superficial manner?

That statement seems to exude such amounts of naivete that I can't help but feel I stumbled across someone who only recently discovered the internet.

Really? This really bothers them? Have they not seen how Japan's game developers have handled OTHER mythologies? Valkyrie Profile, Odin Sphere or Digital Devil Saga(Like a previous poster mentioned),

Y'all are missing the important part.

Andy Chalk:
Refreshingly, he did not threaten an international boycott of Capcom, Sony, Microsoft or anyone else; instead, he said that he or other Hindu scholars "would gladly provide genuine seekers from [the] videogames industry the resources they needed for their study and research regarding Hinduism."

I want someone to take them up on this offer.

Seriously, Hinduism is fascinating. I'd love to see a game made that gets the mythology right.

Should have chosen a dead religion like Greek Polytheism in God of War and the Tomb Raider games.

NeutralDrow:

Andy Chalk:
Refreshingly, he did not threaten an international boycott of Capcom, Sony, Microsoft or anyone else; instead, he said that he or other Hindu scholars "would gladly provide genuine seekers from [the] videogames industry the resources they needed for their study and research regarding Hinduism."

Seriously, Hinduism is fascinating. I'd love to see a game made that gets the mythology right.

Digital Devil Saga, both me and Ignatz_Zwakh have mentioned this game. Shiva and Vishnu are characters that mention how dharma(natural law) is broken due to the games events. Characters are named after Hindu deities and ones you fight mention their role in Hinduism(like Vasuki says you cannot enter the sea of milk)

This is a game that greatly encourages tangential learning.

Hal10k:

We need a game based off of Scientology if we want to be thorough on this.

Basically any Star Wars game will cover that.

Tanis:
O, go bonk yourself Zed.

This coming from a society with a caste system, forced arranged marriages, and has folks bathing in a river so polluted it makes the sewage pipes near Fox News look like they've been run through a Brita Filter.

It's not like AW was making fun of Hinduism/Indians (SEE: The Simpson's) or abusing & twisting some of the iconography (SEE: Nazi's).

Zed needs to get his panties out of their bunch and chill.

Uh, you know its the year 2012 right? Its no longer 1940? nor 1969, let alone 1987.... Things change, and you know, cultures evolve. You think 'your' culture 150+ years ago was any 'different'? You know 'serfs' was just another name for slave....

Eric the Orange:
I'm not particularly religious, so I always find it odd that some people who are get so easily offended about it. By this I mean that there are things that I hold in high regard but I don't really care if other people dislike them or disrespect them. But it seems that people are especially touchy when it come to matters of belief.

Yeah.

So that's the thing. All the things I truly cherish I have full confidence in, this means I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if someone else mocked them.

I've always thought that insecurity in ones faith suggests some wavering.

But maybe I'm wrong.

All my favorite things are real people or things involving nature...so I suppose It's just easier for me?

Because of course, I remember all those riots in Greece when they brought out God of War.

If I was a Hindu I'd be thrilled to see my gods being this cool.

Just to toss this in.
You know what bothered me?
Zeus in Immortals looked like someone from the Twilight Cast, had a baby with the 'kid' from 3rd rock from the sun.

SinisterDeath:

Tanis:
O, go bonk yourself Zed.

This coming from a society with a caste system, forced arranged marriages, and has folks bathing in a river so polluted it makes the sewage pipes near Fox News look like they've been run through a Brita Filter.

It's not like AW was making fun of Hinduism/Indians (SEE: The Simpson's) or abusing & twisting some of the iconography (SEE: Nazi's).

Zed needs to get his panties out of their bunch and chill.

Uh, you know its the year 2012 right? Its no longer 1940? nor 1969, let alone 1987.... Things change, and you know, cultures evolve. You think 'your' culture 150+ years ago was any 'different'? You know 'serfs' was just another name for slave....

Yep, it is 2012.. and those aspects of the Indian culture still exist. They may not be as dominant as they were before the western influence started to grow to the point where it is now and will continue to change, but they are very much still present.

Andy Chalk:
Hindus Upset Over Asura's Wrath

The Universal Society of Hinduism is "upset" about Asura's Wrath, saying the game trivializes the symbols and concepts of the Hindu religion.

I don't know much about Hinduism or Asura's Wrath, but a quick glance at Wikipedia tells me that the game "takes elements from Hindu mythology and blends them with science fiction." I guess that would explain why Rajan Zed, the president of the Universal Society of Hinduism, is none too happy with the game. In a press release, Zed said that "such trivializing and reimagining of highly revered symbols and concepts of Hinduism was not okay as it is upsetting for the devotees."

Durga, the murdered wife of Asura in Asura's Wrath, is actually a major Hindu deity who destroyed the buffalo-demon Mahisasura, a well-known asura - a power-seeking deity mostly living in ancient South India, again according to Wiki, sometimes considered sinful and materialistic. Zed acknowledged that freedom of expression is "important" but added that faith is sacred, and game developers should be more sensitive when dealing with such matters. If developers cannot "accurately and authentically deliver religious imagery and symbolism," he said, then they should not "unnecessarily poke into religion."

"No faith, large or small, should be plundered," Zed said. Refreshingly, he did not threaten an international boycott of Capcom, Sony, Microsoft or anyone else; instead, he said that he or other Hindu scholars "would gladly provide genuine seekers from [the] videogames industry the resources they needed for their study and research regarding Hinduism."

Hinduism is the oldest and third-largest of the world's major religions, with an estimated one billion adherents around the world. Asura's Wrath has a Metacritic score of 73, and is available now for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

When will they learn? Here in America, it's okay for major media outlets to make fun of any religion*.

*except Christianity.

I can think of a lot of games that call on Biblical mythology. Demons are practically a staple enemy these days.

I think this is a case of something being taken a little too seriously. Kudos to the guy for being constructive about it though rather than running straight to his local MP...

I see where they are coming from, but I call overreaction. Sure, they're messing around a bit.

Then again, see Okami. It took a bunch of Japanese mythology and said that most of it was really a wacky fun joke story. Susano-o was not a great warrior. He was a middle aged dude with a beer gut who told everyone that he was a great warrior.

Again, I see where they're coming from, but I wanna say "loosen up a bit."

Religious fanatics gonna derp.
*dance harder*

Hinduism rarely gets much expose. Just friggin enjoy it you ungreatful assinine-
Watered down or not, at least a light covering of some of it makes it interesting. And why exactly is making your relgion interesting on the surface bad?

Overreactshunnnnns

Mr C:
This guy's right, all faiths deserve respect. As a Viking descendent I was greatly offended by Too Human.

I think everyone was offended by too human :P

RaikuFA:
So they're not upset that the game was bad?

Either way, don't tell them about Digital Devil Saga, they'll have a breakdown.

MAybe because it wasn't bad, i enjoyed it. It's only bad if you expected an action game.

This is a bit of a silly thing to be upset about, creative license is harmless and religions shouldn't be able to put themselves on a pedestal where they aren't subject to the same criticism and adaptation as everything else is. Something doesn't become somehow special due to volume of belief.

Meh, their religion is as plunderable as the next one.

That said, the use of hindu stuff in Asura's Wrath was pretty damn retarded, so I can see why they might be a bit miffed about it.

Don't like it? Don't play it.

No belief system is entitled to special protection, freedom of speech trumps that.

getoffmycloud:

Mr C:
This guy's right, all faiths deserve respect. As a Viking descendent I was greatly offended by Too Human.

I think everyone was offended by too human :P

Pretty much this, I'm athiest and I hate that any mythology was used in that game, because it's just so BAD.

Bit silly to get upset about this... but on the other hand, they're also being fairly reasonable. Not too angry, not calling for a ban or boycott, and even offering help if they want to get the inaccuracies straightened out in the future, which is a nice offer. In fact, I wish more developers received and made use of offers like that, considering how severely they tend to mess up religious and mythological details (not even as artistic license, which is at least partially the case here, but as a result of outright ignorance).

Hm. Now I'm curious as to what he/they would make of SMT, seeing as Atlus bothers to research these things. The main gripe does seem to be that they got some bits wrong, after all.

Still amazed that he could take it seriously for long enough to be offended, though.

NeutralDrow:

Andy Chalk:

I'm glad someone noticed this. They should take this offer to Atlus, ideally (though it may be redundant there, I don't know). But really, this is fantastic and I wish someone would take them up on this. Or that more people would offer it, for that matter.

NeutralDrow:

Andy Chalk:

For the love of your deity of choice. This. 3000x this.

This one quote should be absolutely supported by everyone in this forum. He, a religous figure, rather than ranting and raving and declaring our medium the origin of all sin, wants to -support- the industry.

And the knee jerk response is 'This guy is getting his panties in a bunch'.

This guy is a freaking hero, I really hope that most people replying in this topic didn't actually read the post and just had a gut reaction to the headline. At least then I'd be able to maintain a little faith in this community >.>.

Pull yourselves together guys.

no religion should be immune to criticism or re-imagining.

What are the Hindus going to do? Have a hunger-strike at them?

I personally don't think religion is sacred from something like this.

However, I do like how they are offering game developers a way to become more informed. I actually hope someone takes up on their offer, since it could lead to very interesting results.

The funny thing about Zed's, "religion is sacred" bit is that none of these religions that have problems with their religion being "slandered" ever comes to the aid of other religions. Once that happens I'll believe it, till then you're just butt-hurt for no reason. Although if a good game can come out of the exact Hindu story I'll gladly support but I think the creators were intentional with their story.

Targie:

This one quote should be absolutely supported by everyone in this forum. He, a religous figure, rather than ranting and raving and declaring our medium the origin of all sin, wants to -support- the industry.

This guy is a freaking hero, I really hope that most people replying in this topic didn't actually read the post and just had a gut reaction to the headline. At least then I'd be able to maintain a little faith in this community >.>.

While I'm still a bit baffled by the idea of anyone being offended by Asura's Wrath (I assumed they would all be too busy either laughing, giving the screen a dumbfounded stare or shouting), yes. Definitely yes. I mean, "who wants a free consultant?" is an amazing response. He's reacting to a misstep from the industry - or at least, something he sees as such - by offering help. That is incredible. I'm curious as to his experience with - or at least knowledge of - the medium, though. Something about this makes me wonder if he knows more than most, or possibly less given his sadly optimistic offer.

Fishyash:
I personally don't think religion is sacred

Nothing to add here, but this is pretty amusing out of context.

Targie:

NeutralDrow:

Andy Chalk:

I know right? You're all shamefully letting the side down here. I think you all need to sit down and watch Movie Bob's latest Big Picture (Not Okay) until you can repeat it word for word and realise it isn't just sexism that gaming culture has to fix within itself.

Carsus Tyrell:

I know right? You're all shamefully letting the side down here. I think you all need to sit down and watch Movie Bob's latest Big Picture (Not Okay) until you can repeat it word for word and realise it isn't just sexism that gaming culture has to fix within itself.

I'm particularly impressed by the implication that including Hinduism in games, regardless of the context, is actually perfectly fine as long as the details are preserved. While the industry needs to be a bit more careful in getting things right, I also wish we could see more people like this. They exist, obviously, but rarely in any position of even minor authority, so this is really nice to see.

As an added bonus, they'll maybe stop endlessly recycling ancient Greek/Norse stuff for a bit (with a brief few moments for Egypt now and then). Good as it is, it gets old eventually.

If this guy is so against any faith being "trivialised" in games then where was he when the controversy over the Taliban in Medal of Honor happened? Or what about Assassin's Creed 2 in which you punch the pope?

It's all okay until your religion gets put in a game. It isn't even that disrespectful, the game doesn't try to pass itself off as anything near an accurate portrayal of Hinduism. I thought those guys were a bit more mature than that, but it just goes to show how idiotic religion can make people act.

I seem to remember Extra Credits once touched on the subject of tangental learning. A way was to sprinkle little tidbits of a subject through a game so that people will learn on their own if it interests them. Won't this give many people a first touch of Hinduism that could develop to a larger understanding, rather than trivialise Hinduism?

I think all faiths (and their collections of stories) are up for grabs. I can't fault his approach though, he is being very reasonable, he isn't trying to ban anything, merely bring forth another point of view. I hope that his words are met with the maturity they deserve.

The responses really don't make much sense here. He is merely politely saying he didn't like the way it was portrayed and offering to help inform people on how to make it more accurate in the future. It's not as if he's a raving lunatic or anything. I mean seriously, you'd think it was something horrible like a strongly worded reply. And it isn't even that...

Also, lolwut @ the people trying to act all offended that he doesn't leap forward for the sake of other religions. I don't think other religions need people stepping forward for them. If no one in the religion is stepping up to complain themselves, why would he be the one to start? It's up to Christians to complain first if they don't like the portrayal of Christianity. If they don't even complain first, why would he leap to their defense? It doesn't seem like they find anything problematic with the misrepresentations. It's stupid to expect him to leap to the defense of people who don't seem to think they need to be defended. If they don't find it worth complaining about, who is he to decide that for them? But he can decide it for Hindus, being one himself.

Also he's quite a bit more likely to hear about Hinduism being used in a video game than Christianity. Unless he plays them much himself he'd be likely to hear about it from other people he knows. And what are they likely to come to him about? The Pope in Assassin's Creed 2 or maybe something Hindu related instead?

The false outrage about him not stepping forward for other religions is ignorant and poorly thought out.

Let's not encourage the crazies. Make more games with heavy religious imagery. ANOTHER XENOSAGA!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here