Hindus Upset Over Asura's Wrath

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Mr C:
This guy's right, all faiths deserve respect.

Nope, absolutely not.

Mr C:
As a Viking descendent I was greatly offended by Too Human.

That's pretty petty. But it's fine: be offended all you like, write a song about it, paint a picture, whatever.

You don't have the right to not be offended.

Wait, Asura's Wrath has come out? Why hasn't it been reviewed yet!?

Let the religious groups remain offended; they deserve no special treatment and could also use being knocked down a peg in their particular brand of completely arbitrary beliefs.

He's allowed to take offence against his cherished believes being used for simple entertainment, but if he saw it from the other side he would notice that it's actually a compliment.

Even if you absolutely hate religion, you can't deny the wealth of stories it has to offer. And developers are very much aware of this, too.

NeutralDrow:
Y'all are missing the important part.

Andy Chalk:
Refreshingly, he did not threaten an international boycott of Capcom, Sony, Microsoft or anyone else; instead, he said that he or other Hindu scholars "would gladly provide genuine seekers from [the] videogames industry the resources they needed for their study and research regarding Hinduism."

I want someone to take them up on this offer.

Seriously, Hinduism is fascinating. I'd love to see a game made that gets the mythology right.

Hinduism is not monolithic and has no unified cosmogony.

RaikuFA:
So they're not upset that the game was bad?

Either way, don't tell them about Digital Devil Saga, they'll have a breakdown.

Are you kidding? Persona 3 had Jesus and that slipped right past the Christians fanatics. If we can do that, we can certainly hide the lesser known SMT games.

Mr C:
This guy's right, all faiths deserve respect. As a Viking descendent I was greatly offended by Too Human.

Everyone was.

Glad to hear he was actully civilised and polite about this and simply voiced that his displeasure with it rather than delclaring it the source of all evil.
Thanks to this, Hinduisim just gained some respect from me.

Although it is inaccurate the game could get some people interested in Hindu lore or at the very least will introduce them to some ideas of it.

Eric the Orange:
I'm not particularly religious, so I always find it odd that some people who are get so easily offended about it. By this I mean that there are things that I hold in high regard but I don't really care if other people dislike them or disrespect them. But it seems that people are especially touchy when it come to matters of belief.

So you don't care if, for instance, people disbelieve evolution and use public funds to open young Earth creationist museums?

Cultural appropriation is always a bit of a sticky issue.

As I understand it, the issues with such things aren't just that someone has borrowed bits from someone else's culture, it's that someone has clumsily borrowed bits of a culture they don't properly understand, for the benefit of an audience that also doesn't properly understand it.

If they'd had a thorough understanding of it, or if the audience did, wouldn't have been such a big deal. You can be a lot more careless when dealing with the mainstream, because everyone supposedly knows what the real thing is like anyway.

Hello Hinduism, welcome to the club, signed Christianity and Judaism.

Seriously, all forms of media have been taking liberties with religions for hundreds of year; books, plays, movies, tv shows, video games, comics, any way people can express their thoughts and opinions. Some are more accurate than others, some are more respectful than others. Personally I think some of the religions have to take more crap than others, but that's just me. The long and the short of it is I say that if criticism and jokes at its expense is something one religion or one school of theological thought has to endure, then they can ALL endure it.

Hal10k:
Okay. Asura's Wrath has us covered on Hinduism. Games like Dante's Inferno and Darksiders incorporate elements from Christianity. Prince of Persia takes at least a few superficial elements from Islam. Games have been borrowing from the ideas of Buddhist monks & Tao philosophy for years. Pokemon is essentially Shinto, and every robots-fighting-humanity story borrows from the Jewish folktale of the Rabbi's golem.

We need a game based off of Scientology if we want to be thorough on this.

Oh God no...

Also, should I be surprised? Writers and artists not understanding religions isnt a new development. Any real lack of research into a subject, like religion, will result in, what is basically, you getting it wrong.

I kind of have to wonder if people bothered to read to the part where he said he would like to offer services as reference for Hinduism rather than saying video games should be banned or boycotted.

Et3rnalLegend64:
I see where they are coming from, but I call overreaction. Sure, they're messing around a bit.

Then again, see Okami. It took a bunch of Japanese mythology and said that most of it was really a wacky fun joke story. Susano-o was not a great warrior. He was a middle aged dude with a beer gut who told everyone that he was a great warrior.

Again, I see where they're coming from, but I wanna say "loosen up a bit."

The thing with bringing up Okami, though...Okami is a Japanese game created by Japanese devs based on Japanese mythology and geared towards a Japanese audience (yeah, it was translated, but the original target audience was Japanese) - that means every aspect is Japanese, and there's no cultural appropriation, which is where a lot of problems can lie.

I haven't played the game but i feel it does trivialize Hindu beliefs a bit, unless there is lots of (wait for it)

attached to it otherwise it's a bunch of fancy names and patterns plastered everywhere

Hal10k:
Okay. Asura's Wrath has us covered on Hinduism. Games like Dante's Inferno and Darksiders incorporate elements from Christianity. Prince of Persia takes at least a few superficial elements from Islam. Games have been borrowing from the ideas of Buddhist monks & Tao philosophy for years. Pokemon is essentially Shinto, and every robots-fighting-humanity story borrows from the Jewish folktale of the Rabbi's golem.

We need a game based off of Scientology if we want to be thorough on this.

Dead space 2?

I don't see how Religious mythos should be any different than any other one. They borrow stuff from it all the time. God of War borrows from a lot of Greek Mythos, so did Age of Mythology (obviously.)

Besides that, any story you make will be related to some religion SOMEWHERE. Religions been around a lot longer than Video Games so the chances of the two intersecting is improbable to avoid.

Also, just image I linked the "Offended" video because I'm too lazy to find it myself.

(Two left feet? Et Tu Captcha?)

CentralScrtnzr:

NeutralDrow:
Y'all are missing the important part.

Andy Chalk:
Refreshingly, he did not threaten an international boycott of Capcom, Sony, Microsoft or anyone else; instead, he said that he or other Hindu scholars "would gladly provide genuine seekers from [the] videogames industry the resources they needed for their study and research regarding Hinduism."

I want someone to take them up on this offer.

Seriously, Hinduism is fascinating. I'd love to see a game made that gets the mythology right.

Hinduism is not monolithic and has no unified cosmogony.

I know. To me, that translates to a lot of meat on the bones, and you don't need a unified mythology to be consistent with whichever aspect you focus on.

Hell, non-mythologically, we've had games involving religious conflict between orthodoxy and heterodoxy...why not something on the original conflict between Vedic and Upanishadic devotees? Or something exploring the yogas? My only worry would be finding a company that could write something good based on this...

Of course people dont seem to understand that making a game that trivialies well respected dietys is going to piss people off. Its kind of like writing thug life on the chest of a crucified jesus in a monestary or depicting Muhammed in any way. Of course they are gonna be annoyed and maybe with justification.

Makes sense. Reminds me of a game im making.

The Wrath of St. Paul

"You killed the Virgin Mary! Prepare for my HOLY GHOST ATTACK!"

PRESS X TO FIRE AT GABRIEL!

Cutscene of crucifying gabriel

End of Chapter 3

flamingjimmy:

Mr C:
This guy's right, all faiths deserve respect.

Nope, absolutely not.

Mr C:
As a Viking descendent I was greatly offended by Too Human.

That's pretty petty. But it's fine: be offended all you like, write a song about it, paint a picture, whatever.

You don't have the right to not be offended.

As your name is 'flaming' jimmy, I assume you are fighting sarcasm with more sarcasm. I salute you sir! However you were correct: religion does not deserve my respect.

Religion is only a bad thing, it hold humanity back and causes untold misery and suffering. I say use more religions in more games.

Seriously if religions like Islam, Christianity, and Jewish faiths didn't exist their would probably be a lot more gay people alive right now.

Shit even the Dali Lama, his people were formerly a brutal government of their area that lashed out some horrendous living conditions and terrible torture on its own people. WORSE then the current Chinese government, but he has used religion to get people to think he is some kind of saint. I recommend watching "Penn & Tellers Bullshit!" Episode "Holy-er than Thou" for more details.

Religion only provides a way of control free from rational lines of thinking, which would be fine if they didn't hurt anyone. But they do.

Don't videogames take artistic liberties with mythologies, faiths, and religions? Just because they don't "say it the way we want to" doesn't give me the right to demolish a product. Everyone who is less spoken for demands their voice to be heard, whether reasonable or not.

Like someone else said, if this was Christian it would be no big deal.
And John Milton's "Paradise Lost" is one of my favorite works ever created. And I am a prettttyyy conservative Christian per the US mentality.

I see no reason why this needs to rear it's ugly head.
Everyone wants universalistic respect in the form of forcing others to look at their opinions from a certain aspect. AKA: You HAVE to view [insert opinion here] from [insert the scale of respect here] and anything otherwise isn't cool.

It's not your right to decide how I view something, Mr. Universalistic Society....

Well its pretty cool to see an offended religious individual offer his help on teaching people his faith, not threatening to burn anyone!

I don't understand why they are upset, their religion and all it's various deities and myths started because of people telling stories based upon what ever at the time was the core of the religion. There is actually a term for when this happens though I don't recall it off the top of my head but it basically tries to explain why and how new myths and dogma are added to a particular religion. That said I don't think we are going to see any asuras wrath additions to their mythology any time soon.

Anyone explain to me why this is offensive to them? Because honestly I don't get it, but perhaps I just have the wrong world view.

I was all ready to come in here saying he can get behind the other 8 bazillion zealots pissed off at our care free approach to religious representation.

But seeing as he was pretty level headed about it. I'll just say that he shouldn't really take it too seriously. It borrows nothing but aesthetic. It isn't trying to give any kind of representation of Hinduism. It just borrows from the art style and deity design that Hinduism is famous for.

People really should stop getting so worked up about things like that, it's not badmouthing or cheapening their beliefs. It's just presenting a story with stolen aesthetics.

This kind of thing happens to all major religions in all types of media. The game isn't marketed as an introduction to Hinduism, but just takes inspiration from its mythology.
In my opinion, faith is only sacred to those who share it, it's not sacred to everyone else.

I have to admit, this game is shit and the way it reimagines Hindu myths is so bad and uninspired I would be offended if it were my religion. I don't think it's worth making a big thing out of it but it is disappointing when a game or something takes a moderately interesting idea and does something like this with it.

Andy Chalk:
Hinduism is the oldest and third-largest of the world's major religions, with an estimated one billion adherents around the world. Asura's Wrath has a Metacritic score of 73, and is available now for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

LOL. I see what you did there.

Hinduism is the third largest relgion in the world...

BUT

Azura's Wrath has a Metacritic score of 73!
Buy it now!

That's how I read it at least...

Eric the Orange:
I'm not particularly religious, so I always find it odd that some people who are get so easily offended about it. By this I mean that there are things that I hold in high regard but I don't really care if other people dislike them or disrespect them. But it seems that people are especially touchy when it come to matters of belief.

This is because, for whatever reason...
our society has built up a giant wall of respect around religion...
which basically means (for most people apparently)...
that you just can't criticize or even talk about religion in a context
other than its native context. Why not? Because you're not. Is generally the only
reason offered.

Personally, I don't see why anyone thinks any aspect of their lives should be free from
critique or ridicule - politicians and political parties have to put up with both on a daily basis, same with most fields of study. So, I say, why shouldn't religion get used to the same treatment as well? Its only fair after all.

But, at least in this case, the "offended" party is responding to the issue more reasonably than most. Gotta give them credit for offering to provide research material rather than trying to censor the "offending" material.

ciancon:
Wait, Asura's Wrath has come out? Why hasn't it been reviewed yet!?

I like to think (read: delude myself into thinking) that theyre waiting for the late UK release on friday before they review it.

I want this game to see a very angry man go "AAAAGGGGHHHH" a lot and punch many things.

Not to learn about religeon.

Silly Hindus.

I don't think the Universal Society of Hindu is being unreasonable here. Religion is a concept that should be explored, just like other fundamental concepts of our society. However, it's also very, very important to a lot of people, so when it is explored it should be done thoughtfully and accurately.

This is good for both the religious and the gamers (and where those groups overlap, double plus goodness!), since the religous get to see their religion explored in interesting ways that might make them think about their beliefs. Gamers get interesting games that investigate deep concepts.

man's a idiot.
He's getting bent out of shape because his religion isn't being played out word for word in the game? how ridiculous can you be?

Mr C:
This guy's right, all faiths deserve respect. As a Viking descendent I was greatly offended by Too Human.

This is about the worst thing you can said. Respect should be EARNED through GOOD things. Just because you're an religion or have a faith should give you respect.

Otherwise Scientology would also be in need of respect. Same goes for Islam. No, that goes too far. Respect should be earned. Not gotten just because you have faith in something.

As for the topic. I don't really care but the game just makes it look good.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here