BioWare Uses Stock Photo for Tali in Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Makes no difference to me, I made sure Tali didn't survive part 2

Roganzar:

Abedeus:

Roganzar:
Eh!?!
This is not game changing in any way. Mass Effect 3 is a great game with a well crafted story and using stock photos to create something else is not a bad thing. We all need inspiration.

They spend hundreds of dollars to launch several copies of the game that make a handful of people will find (if they don't fall into the ocean), but when it comes to unveiling a race of previously permanently veiled aliens, they take some random kid off the street, $15 photo and half an hour in photoshop later they put this piece of crap in an AAA game.

And you expect us to be happy? Bioware isn't a God damn indie developer, it's a massive and probably one of the oldest active developers on the scene.

There is a difference between EA and Bioware. Bioware made the game, EA published and marketed the game.
Beyond that I don't care about anyone else's opinion of this. I simply offered my own.
However if this causes you, and other people get anger, you all need something better to do.
Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to play more Mass Effect 3.

Daystar Clarion:

Roganzar:

Abedeus:

They spend hundreds of dollars to launch several copies of the game that make a handful of people will find (if they don't fall into the ocean), but when it comes to unveiling a race of previously permanently veiled aliens, they take some random kid off the street, $15 photo and half an hour in photoshop later they put this piece of crap in an AAA game.

And you expect us to be happy? Bioware isn't a God damn indie developer, it's a massive and probably one of the oldest active developers on the scene.

There is a difference between EA and Bioware. Bioware made the game, EA published and marketed the game.
Beyond that I don't care about anyone else's opinion of this. I simply offered my own.
However if this causes you, and other people get anger, you all need something better to do.
Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to play more Mass Effect 3.

I have to agree with you.

I got the game today and I can't believe how much better everything is. Getting pissed off at something like this seems trivial compared to how great the rest of the game is.

We'll see how both of you feel about Bioware after you finish the game.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Waaghpowa:
I'm not going to get enraged about this, but it all comes off as somewhat suspicious. I just can't tell if it was intentionally done or laziness.

Wha...? That actually is pretty cool.

I guarantee that was intentional.

What does it matter? All the quarians are dead anyway. And no one will remember their names.

Soviet Heavy:

Irridium:
Thread is already kind of spoiler-y, but I'll ask my question in spoiler tags just to be safe.

well thats a bit of an overkill.

the stock image girl looks nice whereas the altered image of tali looks awefull.
maybe i would not feel that turned off if bioware would had made it in cgi or used one of the fan art images that sometimes looks way better.

and what the fuck is up with EDI?.
did bioware really think we need to make her more female.
she really needs this metal 'hair' helmet?

damn fan service with their sex androids wet dreams.

xPixelatedx:
[quote="ManThatYouFear" post="7.353428.14026855"]snip.

In all fairness the best thing they could of done was not do anything and leave it to the imagination.

ManThatYouFear:

xPixelatedx:
[quote="ManThatYouFear" post="7.353428.14026855"]snip.

In all fairness the best thing they could of done was not do anything and leave it to the imagination.

Totally agree. I think maybe they were a little bit too eager to give their fans some sort of reveal before the series was up.

For some reason, I find it very hard to give a shit.

I don't see how her being based on a stock photo makes any difference. She is still the same character right? Most of the fans wouldn't have even known it was a stock photo without someone spilling the beans and reminding them to be enraged, which just goes to show how little it mattered.

The problem is that fans have blown up the characters to sacred proportions, so any perceived disservice to them demands disproportionate complaints. Most modern games on this scale cut corners or use stock images (I'm sure Half Life 2 is full of them). It doesn't impede gameplay, you probably never noticed it in the first place, and if it allows the game to be released, it is surely worth it.

They did it to appeal to EVERYONE as a whole. I think the picture rather suits her. I for one accept it over the possibility of her having some bizarre, alien face.

Fans will never truly be happy when a question this big is finally answered: fanon and canon will inevitably clash.

I always suspected that quarians would look human-ish given the presence of a nose behind the mask in ME1 and human-lookin quarian skeletons in ME2, so this doesn't come as much of a surprise to me.

Still, I always thought she would have purple skin. Ah, headcanon . . .

rhizhim:

I think it suits her. And in universe, the people who made EDI in probably did think to themselves "we don't want a creepy bald robot, lets give her sexy robot hair".

EDIT: Wait, the security type captcha thing has changed? I can read it now? YES!

arnoldthebird:
I preferred Tali with her mask, I had always anticipated that her revealing her face would be under whelming. BioWare dug themselves into a corner with that one

"Dug themselves into a corner"

That's excellent. I'll make a note of that term.

maninahat:
The problem is that fans have blown up the characters to sacred proportions, so any perceived disservice to them demands disproportionate complaints.

Exactly. These are fictional characters. They cannot have their feelings hurt. They do not need your protection.

Higgs303:
Hmm...Mass Effect & Dragon Age: Origins were quality products, genuine works of art in the gaming medium.

I'm genuinely wondering if you played the same Dragon Age: Origins that I did! Fun game? Yes. Above-average writing for a video game? Definitely. Work of art? No.

Maybe the quality of Bioware games isn't going down, but your expectations were just hugely raised by how much you clearly enjoyed DAO and Mass Effect? If you scrutinise every detail of a game, you're always going to find things you don't like. Maybe just sit back and try to enjoy the experience the way you enjoyed it in the first Mass Effect game.

Abedeus:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Considering the short amount of time the game is out, are you speaking from personal experience? Because there is a very narrow range of possible endings given the previous games.

MetalMagpie:

Higgs303:
Hmm...Mass Effect & Dragon Age: Origins were quality products, genuine works of art in the gaming medium.

I'm genuinely wondering if you played the same Dragon Age: Origins that I did! Fun game? Yes. Above-average writing for a video game? Definitely. Work of art? No.

Maybe the quality of Bioware games isn't going down, but your expectations were just hugely raised by how much you clearly enjoyed DAO and Mass Effect? If you scrutinise every detail of a game, you're always going to find things you don't like. Maybe just sit back and try to enjoy the experience the way you enjoyed it in the first Mass Effect game.

I agree with this, but I extend that to Mass Effect 1 as well. Mass Effect 2 has a better all around except in the storyline department. If really look at ME1, and mean REALLY look, you will that a lot is not as well put together as people think that it is.

FenixZero:

Abedeus:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Considering the short amount of time the game is out, are you speaking from personal experience? Because there is a very narrow range of possible endings given the previous games.

I unlocked the game on Monday, and since I had few days available to play, I already finished it, so have thousands of disgruntled people.

Basically, it makes me never want to play ME3 again to the end, maybe till the last mission, in few weeks/months.

MetalMagpie:

maninahat:
The problem is that fans have blown up the characters to sacred proportions, so any perceived disservice to them demands disproportionate complaints.

Exactly. These are fictional characters. They cannot have their feelings hurt. They do not need your protection.

It's an RPG, you are supposed to feel something for the characters, get involved. Especially if you played the previous two games for dozens of hours each. I liked all of them, and the treatment not only Tali but all Quarians got was similar to Halo's Master Chief being unveiled as Arnold Schwarzenegger, but with glowing eyes/no nose.

MetalMagpie:

Higgs303:

They were works of art to the extent that by definition a creative work is a work of art. Whether they were good art or not is another question entirely haha.

Abedeus:

FenixZero:

Abedeus:

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I unlocked the game on Monday, and since I had few days available to play, I already finished it, so have thousands of disgruntled people.

Basically, it makes me never want to play ME3 again to the end, maybe till the last mission, in few weeks/months.

Aren't there multiple endings? And you saying that the end wasn't good makes me want to play the game more.

How I saw it the two extremes were: You win against the Reapers and everyone survives/lives on/works together, or you win against the Reapers but a lot of people (races) were wiped out in the fight. And that Shepard (or his Love Interest) will not make it out of the experience alive.

I would only be mad if it not something within those extremes. Because those are the logical extremes as set by the two previous games.

Kahunaburger:

MetalMagpie:

Higgs303:

They were works of art to the extent that by definition a creative work is a work of art. Whether they were good art or not is another question entirely haha.

A very good point, sir. I tip my hat to you.

FenixZero:

Abedeus:

FenixZero:

Aren't there multiple endings? And you saying that the end wasn't good makes me want to play the game more.

How I saw it the two extremes were: You win against the Reapers and everyone survives/lives on/works together, or you win against the Reapers but a lot of people (races) were wiped out in the fight. And that Shepard (or his Love Interest) will not make it out of the experience alive.

I would only be mad if it not something within those extremes. Because those are the logical extremes as set by the two previous games.

There are 3 endings, but Bioware claims there to be 16... problem is, there are basically 8 levels of War Assets that change the ending (the higher, the more positive - if you don't have enough, for instance, BAD things happen), then multiply that by Paragon/Renegade.

But all endings are half-assed, your choices in the game don't matter, and all endings basically cancel half of the shit Shepard worked for.

Don't want to spoil a lot, but you will be disappointed.

Edit: Oh, sorry, you seem to misunderstand me. The endings weren't "good", as in, good good, happy and flowers.

The endings were horribly done and half-assed pieces of shit. Basically Matrix Revolutions/Deus Ex 3 kinds of endings that leave you with "WAIT WHAT THEN WHAT YOU FUCKER?!", but you will never find the answers.

Abedeus:

FenixZero:

Abedeus:

There are 3 endings, but Bioware claims there to be 16... problem is, there are basically 8 levels of War Assets that change the ending (the higher, the more positive - if you don't have enough, for instance, BAD things happen), then multiply that by Paragon/Renegade.

But all endings are half-assed, your choices in the game don't matter, and all endings basically cancel half of the shit Shepard worked for.

Edit: Oh, sorry, you seem to misunderstand me. The endings weren't "good", as in, good good, happy and flowers.

The endings were horribly done and half-assed pieces of shit. Basically Matrix Revolutions/Deus Ex 3 kinds of endings that leave you with "WAIT WHAT THEN WHAT YOU FUCKER?!", but you will never find the answers.

Ah.

Is it easy to opt-out of the War Assets/Galactic Readiness thing?

FenixZero:

Abedeus:

FenixZero:

Ah.

Well, if you want to see Shapard survive (not knowing beforehand whether Renegade or Paragon is that path), I recommend getting it at least to 4k, but that's hard without playing multiplayer.

For "best" endings you should have 5k just in case.

But as long as you have the "Minimum" amount that you get by simply playing the game, doing no side quests and no scanning missions, you don't have to worry about war assets.

I do recommend playing as much of the game, and doing as many side quests as possible. Chances are you won't be coming back to ME3 after seeing the last 15 minutes or so.

maninahat:
For some reason, I find it very hard to give a shit.

I don't see how her being based on a stock photo makes any difference. She is still the same character right? Most of the fans wouldn't have even known it was a stock photo without someone spilling the beans and reminding them to be enraged, which just goes to show how little it mattered.

The problem is that fans have blown up the characters to sacred proportions, so any perceived disservice to them demands disproportionate complaints. Most modern games on this scale cut corners or use stock images (I'm sure Half Life 2 is full of them). It doesn't impede gameplay, you probably never noticed it in the first place, and if it allows the game to be released, it is surely worth it.

I'm with this
seriously, they are giving too much shit to Bioware and Mass Effect
the gay shepard outrage? tali's picture a stock photo? it's as if the fans forgot that games are for having fun and also that Bioware took good care of their sequels to Mass Effect rather than making bad sequels that feel more like expansions or cash-ins
which is pretty damn uncommon now

Abedeus:

FenixZero:

Abedeus:

Ah.

Well, if you want to see Shapard survive (not knowing beforehand whether Renegade or Paragon is that path), I recommend getting it at least to 4k, but that's hard without playing multiplayer.

For "best" endings you should have 5k just in case.

But as long as you have the "Minimum" amount that you get by simply playing the game, doing no side quests and no scanning missions, you don't have to worry about war assets.

I do recommend playing as much of the game, and doing as many side quests as possible. Chances are you won't be coming back to ME3 after seeing the last 15 minutes or so.

Noted, thanks for the advice.

MetalMagpie:

Higgs303:

I think they are art, slightly crass underdeveloped art perhaps. They certainly achieve a basic level of creative storytelling and design. I suppose it is larely subjective what a person considers art, regardless of the medium.

You do make a good point though. My overall enjoyment and immersion while gaming has decreased over the years. I often wonder if my tastes have simply changed or I become too critical. However, my enjoyment of other mediums of entertainment has increased as I have become more critical of them, so why would gaming be any different?

Wow Bioware. This isn't a shit storm, it's a god damn hurricane. I wonder what the next bit of info to send fan's into a rage is going to be? I can't wait *grabs the popcorn*

I think the big problem for a lot of the people complaining about this is that they used a poorly photo shopped stock photo to reveal the physical characteristics of an entire race, let alone one of the most loved characters in the series.

It doesn't particularly bother me since I'm not getting the game unless it goes on sale for like 5 - 10 but I figured i'd put my opinion forward anyways, also, if it were up to me she'd look like this:

To be fair, no matter what she looked like people would have complained.

Greg Tito:
Perhaps characters who have no speaking roles should stay that way. I'm looking at you, Samus Aran.

Fix'd. In fact, it's not even Samus Aran: it's Nintendo for relying on Team Ninja and giving her terrible characterization that lies askew with what she already received.

Greg Tito:
-snip-

Yep, stop the presses, it's official; "'Bioware can do no wrong', says Escapist Magazine staff, while repeatedly making veiled insults about their readership".

So, Gamespy got eaten and shat back out by IGN, Gamespot is a joke wrapped in a lie wrapped in a tortilla, and now the Escapist has jumped the shark as well; anyone know any good gaming sites, ideally ones not run by rabid fanboys and which has a writing staff of journalists rather than editorialists?

maninahat:

rhizhim:

I think it suits her. And in universe, the people who made EDI in probably did think to themselves "we don't want a creepy bald robot, lets give her sexy robot hair".

EDIT: Wait, the security type captcha thing has changed? I can read it now? YES!

yes but there are nice looking bald women, too.

this 50-70's hairstyle fits more in games like fallout.
she looks like a friggin ram

----------------------------------
what the hell capatcha?

i don't like beer

but when i do i'm probably way too drunk because of vodka

Does any one really care, after everything else wrong with EA atm people are bummed out over a face. Get real people.

edit

Machine Man 1992:

Trishbot:
Trust me, when these fans get to the ending of the game, they'll have something WORTHWHILE to rage about. Compared to the endings, the Tali controversy is negligible and will be quickly forgotten.

But those endings.... WOW. I think the official Bioware poll has it at 96% of nearly 3,000 polled hate the endings.

Why do they suck? I've been avoiding them so far, and I would like to get the gist of why people hate them.

Without spoiling too much, I'll just say that NONE of your choices in any of the games matter. No matter what you do, it's all null and void. Did you save the Rachni Queen or kill her? Doesn't matter. Did you romance Liara? Doesn't change the ending. Did you destroy or save the Collector base? Save or sacrifice the Citadel Council? Cure the genophage? Kill Wrex? Survive the Suicide Mission? Were you super Paragon or super Renegade?

Doesn't matter.

You get the same ending (with minor color variations) no matter if you rush through the games, do no sidequests, and make terrible choices as you do if you 100% all games, carefully plan your choices, and do everything you can to get the best endings. Doesn't matter. The ending doesn't change based on your decisions.

And that's why it's so disappointing. The games told us our choices mattered, that we can determine are own fates... but in the very final moments of the game, the choice is stripped from you, your choices no longer matter, and you get one of three marginally different endings, ALL of which are very bitter and very depressing. There are no happy endings, no matter how well you play. You can't earn one.

They provide almost no closure. They're full of plotholes. You don't find out what happens to anybody you care about. The game just screws everyone over and ends, regardless of your choices, regardless of how well you prepare, how good you are, how evil you are, or how close you are to your teammates.

An ending that is nonsensical, meaningless, and violates the theme of the series is grounds for disappointment. It's a shame too, 'cause everything up until those final 10 minutes was amazing. But, yes, the ending is so bad it actually makes playthroughs of ME1 and ME2 almost impossible with the knowledge that your decisions ultimate count for squat.

almostgold:

Fr]anc[is:

almostgold:
I really, honestly cannot understand what there is to get mad about here? Not trying to be an ass, I just really don't get the reaction. Could someone who is insulted by this please explain it to me?

You have a table reserved at your favorite restaurant, it makes all sorts of delicious meals that you love. You've been waiting all week to go because the workweek was awful and your coworkers can't stop bitching about EA. You finally arrive, sit down and order something delicious. Your cook then completely forgets about your order, and 45 minutes later throws a TV dinner in the microwave, and that is what is served to you. That's why people are upset.

Bold part made me laugh.

Let's imagine that stock photo didn't exist though, but Tali's in-game photo was still the same. Nothing has changed. The experience of playing the game is in no way different, but presumably fans wouldn't get mad.

Or is it just that most people simply don't like the way she looks, and the 'stock photo' aspect has little to do with it?

To be honest it doesn't look anywhere near as good as anything else in the series. The photo LOOKED bad, not because its a bad face for Tali but because it looked like a lazy photoshop. This is merely proof of that. What makes that painful is that they had two choices: 1. Don't show Tali's face. Most players didn't care, and many of those that did would have enjoyed the perma-mask thing. 2. Show Tali's face in a way that satisfies those who care as who else are they showing that face for?
They went with option 3, show her face even though most gamers don't care, and do it in a way that will piss of those who do care.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here