GDC 2012: Minecraft Creator Hints at Secret Crafting Recipe

Pages PREV 1 2

th155:

He gave the wrong link. There isn't any article up for it, but here are two images

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/File:NewSandstoneGrid1.png

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/File:NewSandstoneGrid2.png

am i the only one that see a creeper in the block? maybe you can bring tame creepers out of it.

Glancing at the wiki, there appears to be about 200 different player-acquirable items including blocks. Using some simple math, that leads to the total possible combination of around 512,000,000,000,000,000,000 different crafting recipes. I don't think people are going to find that recipe easily.

V8 Ninja:
Glancing at the wiki, there appears to be about 200 different player-acquirable items including blocks. Using some simple math, that leads to the total possible combination of around 512,000,000,000,000,000,000 different crafting recipes. I don't think people are going to find that recipe easily.

well, you could also just decompile the code and check for yourself... : D
...but that would probably be illegal. dunno.

Well nobody has crafted chainmail yet... Maybe that's it.
Still either way after I heard I found it hard to pay attention to the rest of the article. Must find recipe!

DioWallachia:
Notch, if you keep teasing the players you are going to regret it.

Minecraft is already risking many new players because there is no info or tutorial in the game; You could have people start in a NPC village of whatever race (my personal favorite are the Lazer Indians) where you can see building stuff in their normal lives and new players can get inspired by doing better in the game without having to recur to Youtube videos to know what in the hell the game is about.

New people will love it and veterans will love it too because having the NPC teach you to build amazing things makes the world feel more alive. Here, have my last attempt to convince the Minecraft base that the game NEEDED this before i got bored to death with this game:

https://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topics/compilation_of_ideas_of_npc_ai_npc_technology_traits_leyends_live_on_mode_utility_mobs_tutorial_posibilities

Specially with a fanbase that only gives you stars for ideas like having guns on Minecraft. Because apparently making the game even EASIER isnt enough.

Lets rename Minecraft to: "Call of Blocky: Retro Warfare"

Call me crazy... But, do you really need a tutorial?

I started Minecraft knowing 3 recipes. Wood to Planks, Planks to Table, and Stone to Furnace. Everything else, I learned. I figured out that I could make sticks, and I found out that I could make a shovel. I knew I needed to get stone, but couldn't with my hands... So the race was on for a pick. Night was falling, so it was time for a dirt tower, or a dirt hovel.

Yeah, I died. A lot. I restarted a few times, but Eventually, I felt like I knew enough to turn up the difficulty, and really try... I picked up the tools on my own, with the exception of the axe, I understood that certain materials needed a certain pick, and my first home even had a smoothstone trim with a few windows.

I got it for Xmas last year, and now I'm using mods to bring some more life To MC. Unfortunately, after getting tired as dirt for doorways, I succumbed to the Wiki's and I can't live without them, but really now... If I could pick all of that up on my own, why can't anyone else? Do we need more of a tutorial than what we have if the Wiki will only make it redundant? (Yes, I too consider MC's achievements a Tutorial.) Why place extra time into this if the community already has the best system for figuring out what they can make?

If you want to find a hidden recipe fast, look through the code. Of course you won't find anything that doesn't exist. If it not programmed, it not there. Then again if your good enough to look through the code, you probably good enough to make your own recipes :)

AdamRBi:
If it exists and is hidden even to modders it's probably akin golem craft of something. You place certain blocks in a certain configuration at a certain time in a certain wether condition etc etc etc.

That or it's metaphorical.

This. SMP commands let you access every item in the game, so if unless we can craft apples, it's definitely a Manual Crafting project.

FIRE GOLEMS! PLEASE LET IT BE FIRE GOLEMS!

doggie015:

Redlin5:
You know what this means...

And crafting really is a great social activity. Especially when you're just starting off.

I haven't seen that in-joke in a long time! For reference see http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/sharing-our-medium

Kinda wish that Penny Arcade would have said where they got "all the things" and "the alot" from. Granted, most of us know that it's from Hyperbole and a Half, but there are probably plenty that have never read HaaH, which is just tragic.

chadachada123:
Kinda wish that Extra Credits would have said where they got "all the things" and "the alot" from.

Fixed that for you. But really, if you demand that they say where all their incidental images came from, you'd end up with credits longer than the video itself. Same thing with Zero Punctuation.

Unless he's trolling us again like he did with Herobrine....

Steve the Pocket:

chadachada123:
Kinda wish that Extra Credits would have said where they got "all the things" and "the alot" from.

Fixed that for you. But really, if you demand that they say where all their incidental images came from, you'd end up with credits longer than the video itself. Same thing with Zero Punctuation.

Thanks, didn't realize that it was just PA that was hosting the video.

But nah, I'm not demanding, I just like introducing new people to Ally and Hyperbole and a Half and like seeing her being promoted.

Calling troll on the "secret recipe". MCP has long since torn the source code a new one, there's nothing new to discover in the way of recipes, blocks or entities. INTERACTION between blocks/entities is another thing entirely.

Strazdas:

th155:

He gave the wrong link. There isn't any article up for it, but here are two images

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/File:NewSandstoneGrid1.png

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/File:NewSandstoneGrid2.png

am i the only one that see a creeper in the block? maybe you can bring tame creepers out of it.

Nope, however, there are also creeper face in soul sand, and before the Halloween update, people where thinking along the same lines for that. It's probably nothing, and Jeb/Notch probably likes that style of face with limited resources.

TerribleAssassin:
I think you can craft Batman.

Black wool, diamond sword, and I'm out of idea's D:

You need the Grief Block. And gold. Lots of gold.

Considering how many mod developer go trough the MC code on a daily basis, I would say that Notch is just trolling us.

Minecraft is FINE as it is! It can't have sold several MILLION units if people were unhappy with the learning curve!

doggie015:
Minecraft is FINE as it is! It can't have sold several MILLION units if people were unhappy with the learning curve!

There was a learning curve to minecraft?
God damn it was simple!

1) Don't hug creeper
2) Build house and hide when night
3) IF creative, Build castle
3a) If not creative, run out of things to do.

Sure, the building recipes were really "out there" without being explained, but anyone with a brain would check the wiki or even just Google it after about 5 minutes.

Trippy Turtle:
Well nobody has crafted chainmail yet... Maybe that's it.
Still either way after I heard I found it hard to pay attention to the rest of the article. Must find recipe!

Yes... they have. You need to hack to get the ingredients though. It's made out of fire...

The person who wrote this article skewed what Notch said. It's not a crafting recipe. It's nothing to do with anything in-game at all!

The secret that nobody has found is one of the splash texts at the title screen. It says 'Minceraft' on every 1000th load or so, and no one has noticed...

Notch's words exactly are in the following link, where he writes about it on his subreddit - http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/qqenq/minceraft_a_post_mortem/

How disappointing... ;-;

Crafting as a social ability...

Then I guess I improve my charisma every time I open Wikipedia.

BeerTent:

DioWallachia:

Minecraft is already risking many new players because there is no info or tutorial in the game; You could have people start in a NPC village of whatever race (my personal favorite are the Lazer Indians) where you can see building stuff in their normal lives and new players can get inspired by doing better in the game without having to recur to Youtube videos to know what in the hell the game is about.

New people will love it and veterans will love it too because having the NPC teach you to build amazing things makes the world feel more alive. Here, have my last attempt to convince the Minecraft base that the game NEEDED this before i got bored to death with this game:

https://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topics/compilation_of_ideas_of_npc_ai_npc_technology_traits_leyends_live_on_mode_utility_mobs_tutorial_posibilities

Specially with a fanbase that only gives you stars for ideas like having guns on Minecraft. Because apparently making the game even EASIER isnt enough.

Call me crazy... But, do you really need a tutorial?

I started Minecraft knowing 3 recipes. Wood to Planks, Planks to Table, and Stone to Furnace. Everything else, I learned. I figured out that I could make sticks, and I found out that I could make a shovel. I knew I needed to get stone, but couldn't with my hands... So the race was on for a pick. Night was falling, so it was time for a dirt tower, or a dirt hovel.

Yeah, I died. A lot. I restarted a few times, but Eventually, I felt like I knew enough to turn up the difficulty, and really try... I picked up the tools on my own, with the exception of the axe, I understood that certain materials needed a certain pick, and my first home even had a smoothstone trim with a few windows.

I got it for Xmas last year, and now I'm using mods to bring some more life To MC. Unfortunately, after getting tired as dirt for doorways, I succumbed to the Wiki's and I can't live without them, but really now... If I could pick all of that up on my own, why can't anyone else? Do we need more of a tutorial than what we have if the Wiki will only make it redundant? (Yes, I too consider MC's achievements a Tutorial.) Why place extra time into this if the community already has the best system for figuring out what they can make?

Because if you had pay atention you may notice that the appeal of Minecraft doesnt kick in when you play blind, the appeal instead quicks in when you see Youtube videos about all the crazy stuff you can do with the blocks AND the redstone circuits (something that Minecraft doesnt tell that you can do it)

I mean sure, one could do the MMORPG approach to Minecraft to blindy play for months without doing the simple question of "Where is the fun going to start?" or "What its the point of all this" (Yes, i do believe that Minecraft feels like a MMORPG) but a game like Minecraft SHOULDNT hide his best part to anyone and going to a wiki for data isnt the right way because it like being back 20 years where the only thing you can learn about an Atari game was in the manual that came with the game (if you were lucky that the developers even wanted to make one)

In this day an age it seems like a step backwards to depend on a wiki when it has been proven that you can creatively make a tutorial or a first level that set you in the mood of digging the shit out of the world. Hell, even the Elder Scrolls Skyrim is guilty of this by not finding a creative way to make people interested in his world and set the tone properly in the first minutes and Bethesda isnt an indie companie without resourses to do so.

The real question (or new topic if i get to gather more info to start one) is: Why some games are considered awesome when its the fanbase technical skills the ones that keep it from sucking? Sure, you can congratulate the person with the creative idea of making the game but if it sucks it sucks

DioWallachia:

BeerTent:

DioWallachia:
[...]

[...]

Because if you had pay atention you may notice that the appeal of Minecraft doesnt kick in when you play blind, the appeal instead quicks in when you see Youtube videos about all the crazy stuff you can do with the blocks AND the redstone circuits (something that Minecraft doesnt tell that you can do it)

I mean sure, one could do the MMORPG approach to Minecraft to blindy play for months without doing the simple question of "Where is the fun going to start?" or "What its the point of all this" (Yes, i do believe that Minecraft feels like a MMORPG) but a game like Minecraft SHOULDNT hide his best part to anyone and going to a wiki for data isnt the right way because it like being back 20 years where the only thing you can learn about an Atari game was in the manual that came with the game (if you were lucky that the developers even wanted to make one)

In this day an age it seems like a step backwards to depend on a wiki when it has been proven that you can creatively make a tutorial or a first level that set you in the mood of digging the shit out of the world. Hell, even the Elder Scrolls Skyrim is guilty of this by not finding a creative way to make people interested in his world and set the tone properly in the first minutes and Bethesda isnt an indie companie without resourses to do so.

The real question (or new topic if i get to gather more info to start one) is: Why some games are considered awesome when its the fanbase technical skills the ones that keep it from sucking? Sure, you can congratulate the person with the creative idea of making the game but if it sucks it sucks

Maybe for you, picking up the blocks and figuring out what you can do for it on your own, isn't all that fun, but for 3 months, that was Minecraft for me. Building my own home and learning things on my own. And it was just a different method of play. Sometimes I wish I could go back to that. I was never thinking "When is the fun going to start?" I was more or less asking myself "How do I make it safer to get to that mine during night? How many resources is it going to cost to add another room to my home? If I dig here, will I land in my mine?" I didn't have the achievements to guide me back then either.

Looking at the name of the game alone, I knew my objective was to go underground, to find ores, and smelt them, and utilize them in new crafting recipes. Is that so fucking hard? Can nobody find something out on their own in this day and age? Or do we need our hands held though EVERYTHING? To me, the appeal is on both sides. Stumbling blindly, and building something amazing. (Hence, why I try to build something before going to the wiki, because I'm not remembering every recipe from buildcraft, minecraft, industrial craft... etc etc.)

Right now, to me... It boils down to personal preference. You... I dunno... But me, I like to pick things up on my own. I'm the angry old man that tosses the instructions right away because I don't need that shit. A bench is a bench. How hard can that possibly be?

BeerTent:

DioWallachia:

BeerTent:
[...]

Maybe for you, picking up the blocks and figuring out what you can do for it on your own, isn't all that fun, but for 3 months, that was Minecraft for me. Building my own home and learning things on my own. And it was just a different method of play. Sometimes I wish I could go back to that. I was never thinking "When is the fun going to start?" I was more or less asking myself "How do I make it safer to get to that mine during night? How many resources is it going to cost to add another room to my home? If I dig here, will I land in my mine?" I didn't have the achievements to guide me back then either.

Looking at the name of the game alone, I knew my objective was to go underground, to find ores, and smelt them, and utilize them in new crafting recipes. Is that so fucking hard? Can nobody find something out on their own in this day and age? Or do we need our hands held though EVERYTHING? To me, the appeal is on both sides. Stumbling blindly, and building something amazing. (Hence, why I try to build something before going to the wiki, because I'm not remembering every recipe from buildcraft, minecraft, industrial craft... etc etc.)

Right now, to me... It boils down to personal preference. You... I dunno... But me, I like to pick things up on my own. I'm the angry old man that tosses the instructions right away because I don't need that shit. A bench is a bench. How hard can that possibly be?

I was under the impression that i already made a point of the tutorial thing using The Binding of Isaac as an example how a game can be hard AND fun without telling you anything (and because hand holding can blow my dick)but anyway here i go again.

You see, The Binding of Isaac stays fun because:
1)You can masterfully survive your way out by sheer skill if you can pull
2)The difficulty curve allows you to think more before making a hard decition of using a bomb on a enemy to clear the room more fast? or do i conserve for the boss? If i use the Blood donation machine to get money to buy on the shop would i get them back before i take lots of damage? and so on
3)The sheer ammount of items are very fun an addicting to use regardless if they backfire on your ass in a critical moment

Minecraft in the other hand only has a difficulty curve at the beggining (as you said, you miss the part of the game where you actually fight for your survival) but after you made sure that all the area was well lit and you made your first monster grinder..........there isnt munch to do after that because nothing can actually kill you unless you are being very careless. The only way to have fun after that is perhaps going on a journey to The End so lets compare that objetive to The Binding of Isaac.

Starting from making the Nether portal to get Blaze Rods to combine with Ender Pearls and getting a bunch of Nether Wart to make pots, after that its just going back to Overworld to seach for The End portal and visiting biomes along the way because its the only thing fun to do sinse the monsters are barely a treat to you, then you find the portal, fight the Enderdragon who cant really that difficult because even without arrows the thing comes flying to you so you can punch him in the face over and over and done. The potions you have are useless because the Dragon is inmmune to them and you cant even stack them to have fun on with the Endermen

TBOI has more variety along the way and the items found actually end up shaping your playstyle that eventually becames usefull regardless of what you find (sort of like Deus Ex) It keep you interested and constantly on your toes while you had the benefit of enjoying new stages with new musics everytime along with more deadly enemies to keep the difficulty curve going up and up. Minecraft has variety of biomes but the enemies at that point are, once again, inconsequencial.

The problem that we both have is that we take the word "Tutorial" with different meanings. You see tutorial as the shit that AAA games have or Skyward Sword kind of pointing the bloody obvious. When i see tutorial is the "inspiring" kind of tutorial or subtle tutorial. The best description of what i see is Egoraptor Sequelitis series in youtube on Megaman X. Go see it to see my point about subtle tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

DioWallachia:

BeerTent:

DioWallachia:
[...]

[...]

I was under the impression that i already made a point of the tutorial thing using The Binding of Isaac as an example how a game can be hard AND fun without telling you anything (and because hand holding can blow my dick)but anyway here i go again.

You see, The Binding of Isaac stays fun because:
1)You can masterfully survive your way out by sheer skill if you can pull
2)The difficulty curve allows you to think more before making a hard decition of using a bomb on a enemy to clear the room more fast? or do i conserve for the boss? If i use the Blood donation machine to get money to buy on the shop would i get them back before i take lots of damage? and so on
3)The sheer ammount of items are very fun an addicting to use regardless if they backfire on your ass in a critical moment

Minecraft in the other hand only has a difficulty curve at the beggining (as you said, you miss the part of the game where you actually fight for your survival) but after you made sure that all the area was well lit and you made your first monster grinder..........there isnt munch to do after that because nothing can actually kill you unless you are being very careless. The only way to have fun after that is perhaps going on a journey to The End so lets compare that objetive to The Binding of Isaac.

Starting from making the Nether portal to get Blaze Rods to combine with Ender Pearls and getting a bunch of Nether Wart to make pots, after that its just going back to Overworld to seach for The End portal and visiting biomes along the way because its the only thing fun to do sinse the monsters are barely a treat to you, then you find the portal, fight the Enderdragon who cant really that difficult because even without arrows the thing comes flying to you so you can punch him in the face over and over and done. The potions you have are useless because the Dragon is inmmune to them and you cant even stack them to have fun on with the Endermen

TBOI has more variety along the way and the items found actually end up shaping your playstyle that eventually becames usefull regardless of what you find (sort of like Deus Ex) It keep you interested and constantly on your toes while you had the benefit of enjoying new stages with new musics everytime along with more deadly enemies to keep the difficulty curve going up and up. Minecraft has variety of biomes but the enemies at that point are, once again, inconsequencial.

The problem that we both have is that we take the word "Tutorial" with different meanings. You see tutorial as the shit that AAA games have or Skyward Sword kind of pointing the bloody obvious. When i see tutorial is the "inspiring" kind of tutorial or subtle tutorial. The best description of what i see is Egoraptor Sequelitis series in youtube on Megaman X. Go see it to see my point about subtle tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

I'm not arguing Minecraft is properly built. I've never played Binding of Isaac, so this point is a little lost on me too. My point was that the achiev's within Minecraft was the tutorial, and that even without a wiki, is still largely unnecessary as, just like your video shows, gamers are not re-fucking-tarded. Minecraft assumes we already understand WASD is to move, and space is to jump, and Mouselook is enabled. The rest is up to you.

In hindsight, perhaps we were both going off in different directions.

Adfest:
I find it hard to believe that there is a recipe that hasn't been discovered yet. The quantities of people who still play minecraft can indeed be described as "a whole fucking lot". I suppose if it's something like the snowmen and golems it could be missed, but still... Difficult to believe.

Notch, stop trolling and tell Jeb to make me some goddamn sandstone steps!

yeh and wood and moss stone and gold and silver and diamond steps, stone steps look bad in all of those environments

DioWallachia:

NpPro93:

DioWallachia:

Honestly, I have fond memories of figuring everything out in Minecraft. The game starting with mystery and confusion is a great way to throw the player into the world. Plus the ample online resources mean the game basically has a tutorial already. I don't think anything needs to change.

That is the problem you see. It SHOULNT be something that you look online to even BEGIN to play because in this day an age there is no excuse. In the NES era the best way to have a notion of how a game works mostly was because the games came with a manual, but today where you can creatively make a tutorial in the game it seems like a steep backwards.

How many people you know have played Minecraft AFTER seeing videos on Youtube? Because if people dont get inspired with what Minecraft COULD possibly do then they most likely dont even stand around for 1 hour. It LACK the strength to carry the fun aspect of Minecraft: Building shit up.

Leets take a look at another Indie title: The Binding of Isaac. That game is hard and of course there is no hint of what the items would do unless you use them first however the basic gameplay (aka doging and firing tears) its just fun and intuitive even of you don't have the best stuff available or even the knowledge of where to go first as long you are skilled enough.

More or less, having a creative way to teach people in Minecraft will help alot more than going to a wiki. If the tutorial i described there on the link gets implemented it would be nice for everyone, newcomers will see the villagers act on their own building amazing structures that will inspire the players to build their own and veterans of Minecraft will love seeing the world feel more alive and of course will love the fact that the Villagers will teach them new blocks that arent available to make even if you had the ingredients before (after all, how can you make something that you dont know the recipe?) thus making them less prone to get killed because "It doesnt look like a real person" or "It doesnt feel like Minecraft"

My response to that is:

"Ooooooh i am sorry, since when did we have a clear undertanding of what and what isnt supposed to be in a Minecraft? Do all fantasies have to take on Tolkien for the 4.263.196 time? They want innovation but as SOON something is different they complain like idiots"

but then we all will just make thousands of doors and use the villagers as slaves to make us ausome structures

jo9999:

but then we all will just make thousands of doors and use the villagers as slaves to make us ausome structures

They will just make the same kind of structures that will eventually be boring to you and if you have the resourses to help them then you already are able to build better things. HOWEVER, i have an idea. Assuming that Notch will eventually add things like Lazer Indians, Pigmen, Cthulhumanoids or whatever villagers he could try to program that if 2 races that YOU made be nice to one another join together then they will mix the structures to symbolize the union of both species. Having more combination of races will provide more interesting shapes for structures and having them ALL living in some kind of Utopia or Alexandria (if you will) will make even MOAR awesome and bizzare structures.

Lets see... April fools day... last year he trolled us... i bet he will again!

i keep seeing people make electric screwdrivers and scuba gear whats up with that whole deal is it a mod or can you actually create them e.e

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here