Heavy Rain Creator Shows Off New Game Engine With Short Film

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

That was actually quite moving. Would like to see this turn into a game, Heavy Rain, while it lasted, drew me on more than any other game.

Hammeroj:
A nice little film. On the technical side, this shows us nothing, really. It's limited to a couple of a handful of models, nothing too power consuming. The smaller the scale, the easier it is to do good graphics. Show me something bigger, and then we might start talking about how this is making good progress on the PS3.

In the meanwhile, I'll stick to something that's actually jawdropping as an example of real-time graphics.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking while watching this. They did a very good job on the face face, but it isn't even a real tech demo in my eyes.

And I am absolutely awestruck every time I watch that Unreal tech demo. OMG. I love how Epic always teases us with the next generation of graphics just before the time comes.

Say what you like about Quantic Dream, they know how to tell a story. That was simply beautiful. The theme of sentient robots is a tired and overused one but somehow it never fails to be touching.

The tech doesn't really impress me all that much to be honest. I mean the PS3 is one powerful machine and if you dedicate its resources to one scene like this then sure it'll be able to deliver. Now render an entire narative within a complete videogame to that level of fidelity and I'll be impressed.

Still, however amazing this was I'm sure it will only go the way of Milo and Kate; an impressive demo that we demand to see more of when in reality it'll never see the light of day.

Am I the only one that was expecting the "tester" guy to say something along the lines of "Self-awareness/preservation protocols functional", and have it all be part of the testing of that particular model of android?

I really liked that, hope they make a game out of it. And if you compare heavy rain to the game Quantic released before that (indigo prophecy I think?) they learned a lot. I think they learned a geat deal from heavy rain so I'm excited to see what they do next.

Heavy Rain meets Blade Runner? Count me in.

The uncanny vally engine seems to be coming along just fine

This little short film was, touching. I actually cared about Kara to a degree and waiting to see if there would be a happy ending had me on the edge of my seat.

There is something about this else-wise that got to me though, and after thinking on it I believe I know what it is. This is perhaps the first very realistic portrayal of a human being by a virtual model that, at least to me, has made it out of the uncanny valley and started up the other side. Started mind, it ain't there yet, mostly the mouth seemed a little off, but it's a good start. The creepy factor of the fake face that virtual models normally give me, like those in Heavy Rain now and again, wasn't there in any glaring way. This is, kinda weird, and very interesting for the future.

Wow. That was kinda creepy, but really cool at the same time.

I actually felt horrible that that tester was taking Kara apart, and I was seriously hoping that he'd just stop.

I really wish they'd make a game using that because I'd buy that in a heart beat.

As amazing as the visuals are, I am infinitely more impressed with the story they chose to create here, even in its short duration. They really didn't have to do this, and I'm glad they did.

If this becomes a game I will buy the shit out of it.

Pity it will likely only be on PS3. Otherwise I would buy it in a heartbeat... But I also thought that about Dead Island... and I did never buy that.

Anyway Still it looks interesting...

But I don't really like the ending. I would of expected the operator to start recording and ask his superiors.. Would have lead to much research but.... I don't know... Something I supose...

Jason Danger Keyes:
If this becomes a game I will buy the shit out of it.

After watching this video again I came to the same conclusion. This video had me invested in her story in a matter of minutes, just imagine what the creators could do with a whole game.

Maybe they should just make a movie; th whole arc of the trailer was a little compressed. In an actual game/ movie i would like to see multiple activations and tests before there was a switch/ relaisation that she was a robot/ realisation she wasn't defective but sentient.

Hopefully this concept isn't just that, a concept, and we seem something more from kara in a less compressed form becuase as much as this concept of sentient robots has been done or overdone it could still be an interesting take.

Then again do you remember some *ahem* other PS3 tech demos from 2005/6/ that were TOTAL BULLSHIT.

I would totally void the warranty on my Kara.

Wow, this tech demo is a freaking masterpiece. Not necessarily graphically. I mean the graphics were very good but it was nothing special compared to other big name engines.

But why isn't this shit getting made into a game? The story behind the demo alone was very powerful and moving. Seems a shame to waste it that's all.

I dunno... If their next game is anything like heavy-rain, it'll be bloody good. I don't care what you guys say. Interactive movie or not, it was a bloody good interactive movie. Lets hope Quantum ramp up the scale and gameplay for the next title. I'm sure it will be excellent, I have all the faith in the world in these guys.

The problem with tech demos like these is that, as nice as it looks, it wont look like that for a long time. It'll just get cut down for the lowest common denominator and only a few devs will bother giving the game that kind of visual potential for PC. Mass Effect 3 for example, low AA and no high resolution textures on the PC version. Then Crysis from 2007, absolutely amazing visually, even to this day.

Yes, I get that they don't want to alienate people and appeal to a larger audience rather than the small percentage of people with high end hardware, but engines like Red engine for the Witcher 2 scale beautifully with a wide range of hardware. I've seen it run on a mid range laptop with integrated graphics. So part of it comes down to resources as well as effort.

So he used a movie...

to show a game engine...

that will be used to show games...

that are mostly movies...

THE... HELL...

what is the name of the Japanese song?

The only thing going through my mind

"KILL IT!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! BURN EM ALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!"

Good movie, but seriously, burn them all.

It's a great demo. I really don't think it looks technically impressive however. Metro 2033 looked a lot better and is older.

God... that made me consider the implications of self-aware machines far more than anything else ever did...

This was truly amazing. Honestly. Fantastic animation, voice acting, writing, story, so on. A few tiny things made me realize it was a "game" engine, but really, that's just me, being crazy. The entire time, I was far too busy to complain. That was scary, and fascinating all at once...

Mimssy:
My first thought was, "That was really beautiful and thoughtful."
My next thought was, "And the origins of the robot uprising is born..."

lol, yeah.

That was beautifully done, and looked pretty good, but there were little obvious things that marked it out as being a game engine not a film production. But then, fucking hell, it was running in real time on a games console, so let's not get caught up on gas sprays not having physics or distorting face geometry. The short was beautify, the voice acting superb, the graphics not really cry-engine but still good, and the plot a nice, tasty nugget that feeds into plenty of sci-fi fiction stories. Good stuff, thanks for the share.

Wow...that hurt....I mean phsycially hurt. I felt like I was the one disassembling her! And this is from a person who can watch most things very passively. That woman, Valorie Curry is a VERY good voice actress.

I really hope this is part of something much bigger because that little short film just is not enough. I would really be interested in a game with Kara as the protagonist.

Or if they're going the "interactive movie" route as people like to call Heavy Rain (I don't really see it that way, if Dear Esther can be considered a game, then I don't see why Heavy Rain can't) then I would think it would be interesting to play as Kara after being bought by a human. Then going through it and given interactions and choices. She can pretend to be an obedient, mindless drone or maybe she ends up having a connection with her purchaser, love, friendship, whatever, or she could end up leading an andriod revlolution and be faced with the choices of enslaving humans or trying to create peace.

I can see SO much potential in this one video and I'm very hopeful because I would imagine if Kara wasn't part of something bigger, they would say that right now.

Waaghpowa:
engines like Red engine for the Witcher 2 scale beautifully with a wide range of hardware. I've seen it run on a mid range laptop with integrated graphics. So part of it comes down to resources as well as effort.

Really? huh - it really doesn't run on my machine, which has a dual core and a dedicated AMD graphics card :/ I guess that's the issue with PC gaming - there just too many bloody variants, lol.

Robert Ewing:
But why isn't this shit getting made into a game? The story behind the demo alone was very powerful and moving. Seems a shame to waste it that's all.

If you think about it, bar the superb voice acting, the story's kinda been done before in one way or another. It's a nice little short, but to make it feature length and unique enough to warrant making? That's another order of magnitude. And not one a games company's going to be making any time soon, lol! But yeah, a cunning concoction of Bladerunner, AI, iRobot and the Animatrix's Second Renaissance Part 1 would be a decent collection of reference points and inspiration if the idea was to be pushed further, I'd have thought.

Hammeroj:

VMK:

Hammeroj:
Disturbing? No, realistic. If someone said to me that the driving force behind android development was the human (mostly male) sex drive, I would believe it without a second's hesitation.

That would be laziness, actually. The driving force of scientifical progress.

Perhaps I employed a little bit of hyperbole there.

Still, let's keep it real, there would be a huge market for fembots on that aspect alone.

I think we can all agree that scientific progress is based upon laziness and fulfillment. The urge to do nothing and the human sex drive could easily be interchangeable depending on JUST what that specific scientific endeavor entails.

Androids in general could be seen as a servant of sorts to do more and more of what we increasingly don't want to do. A female android/fembot/prostitron 1000 would both fulfill the sex-driven aspect, as well as the lazy, seeing as someone is simply paying for a robot instead of looking around even for a quick fling.

And... I think that was a little too much looking into this one thing...

Screamarie:
I can see SO much potential in this one video and I'm very hopeful because I would imagine if Kara wasn't part of something bigger, they would say that right now.

Apparently they've said that right now :( the only thing to do is have hope in the power of the internet (and cross fingers for a multi-platform release... hah!)

I;m expecting most readers have watched the demo, so far... otherwise,
***SPOILERS FOLLOW***

Honestly, I thought that the voice of the "operator" was the AI controlling the actuator arms... and then I heard the frantic typing on a keyboard in the background.

But then I thought, "Wait... the way the camera arm moves at the end and they kinda nod to each other as a sort of goodbye... Maybe the keyboard was a human observer going apesh*t about the system overriding its own programming to release the sentient AI... Woah, crap."

And then I was intensely pissed off that this is just a demo and not a trailer for a real Quantum Dream game.

I loved Heavy Rain. To the point that I only played it with no one home in the house, so that the deeply emotional story wouldn't send others past the point of coherent thought. (Second Scene... in the Mall: "If something happens to that boy, I'm making you send this game back." [Save] [Exit Game])

Not only did I eventually finish the game by playing in the wee hours of the night, or during the day with no one home, but I 100%'d the bugger... every story thread, every ending... I loved it like no other game for over a month. I still consider it one of my top picks for proving "Why video games shouldn't be lumped up as 'adolescent entertainment' like all the FPS clones and fighter drivel."

WHERE DID HER HAIR KEEP COMING FROM?!

wow that was amazing

Two things about this bug me, even if I can sort of rationalize one.

First, a modest android? I guess if she accidentally achieved sentience, I could see that, but really, a brand new intelligence with no experience of shame, modesty or any other emotions surrounding nudity shouldn't really cover it's breasts and genitals, which aren't "real" anyway. I can let that one go.

The other is... why would the android have tear ducts? Was it designed to cry? If so, then why is the designer so shocked that it shows emotions like fear? If you expect something to cry, then you'd have those emotions preprogrammed, right?

It's a nice little vignette, but storywise it's manipulative.

Absolutely phenomenal premise with a very deeply emotional and empathetic character, in my opinion. I think this would make a very emotionally charged and deeply philosophical game (if they were going to make it into a game). My only concern, if they were going to make this into a game, would be whether they maintain a mature presentation and demeanor throughout the production and not devolve to the standard 14-year-old, priapic-male juvenile mentality that is far too strong a trend in the game industry and community. That is, if they were making this into a game.

Wow that was really well done. and It's running on a PS3.

I loved Heavy Rain and I think David Cage and Quantic dream have some real talent and skill.

I can't what comes out of this. They sure now how to use the hardware.

That was very touching

Zom-B:
Two things about this bug me, even if I can sort of rationalize one.

First, a modest android? I guess if she accidentally achieved sentience, I could see that, but really, a brand new intelligence with no experience of shame, modesty or any other emotions surrounding nudity shouldn't really cover it's breasts and genitals, which aren't "real" anyway. I can let that one go.

The other is... why would the android have tear ducts? Was it designed to cry? If so, then why is the designer so shocked that it shows emotions like fear? If you expect something to cry, then you'd have those emotions preprogrammed, right?

It's a nice little vignette, but storywise it's manipulative.

If I understand the idea of an android correctly, a perfectly made android is supposed to be, by all surface inspection, indistinguishable from a human being. This includes behavior. However, if the behavior is sufficiently limited such to prevent certain occurrences (like sentience and self-awareness), one could get into the "Uncanny Valley" problem.

As for the modesty, Kara is apparently pre-programmed with a significant base of knowledge; she's not starting from an infantile blank slate, would be my guess. Seeing as how she developed an apparent self-awareness she was not supposed to have (at least, as far as the off-screen technician understood), it doesn't seem that far-fetched to me that she would also have some modesty.

If I recall correctly, the shock wasn't so much that she had emotions, it was that she demonstrated independent thought and a sense of self. From what I can guess, emotions are allowed to occur, at particular preprogrammed instances, but having actual independent thought and a sense of being an individual living entity, those are things that were not supposed to occur from the pre-programming; however, they did, and, thus, the technician's shock at the occurrence.

Of course, you could just put this all down as just the ridiculous ramblings and over-analysis of yet another Internet nerd. (I still think it would make a fantastic game and story, if it can be kept mature and not deviate into the priapic juvenile territory.)

I don't care what anyone says, QD's stuff has always blown me away. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, was ahead of it's time and my group of friends played it together till we saw all the ways the story could play out. When the casting demo was released we were practically giddy. When Heavy Rain released we got together and talked for hours about it.

This video set a chill down my spine. I got crazy flashbacks to Ghost In The Shell and basically everything Isaac Asimov has ever written. Top shelf graphics, good voice acting, and QD's signature evocative writing style that always gets a reaction out of me.

10/10 In my book. I would really like to see something come of this demo.

Yes I'm a hopeless fanboy, but at least they aren't afraid of showing off their work. Every other game studio I like is pretty hush hush about their work. I'm looking at you Valve, where's the third game darn it? How about you Square Enix, Versus XIII ring any bells?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here