Day-One DLC Files Appear on Mass Effect 3 Discs

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Day-One DLC Files Appear on Mass Effect 3 Discs

Ferreting around in Mass Effect 3's disc files yields information about DLC which runs counter to statements released by the game's producers.

When an Xbox Live leak made it apparent last month that the additional character promised for players who bought the Collector's Edition version of Mass Effect 3 would be made available to everyone in the form of day-one DLC, there ensued something of a brouhaha among certain groups of gamers. The nature of the character, whose species makes him an interesting part of the game's lore, added a new dimension or five to the apparent discontent.

To try and clarify the situation, a few of the game's producers released statements describing how development of the DLC had not interfered with the development process for the main game or its costs. The game's director, Casey Hudson, took to Twitter to say, "It takes about 3 months from "content complete" to bug-fix, certify, manufacture, and ship game discs. In that time we work on DLC."

However, it has now come to light that some of the files from this particular DLC (listed as From Ashes) can be found within the data on the main game's disc. As an avid file-investigator over at Crystal Palace Zone points out, "the build which leaked in November, the official demo, and now the standard retail release of Mass Effect 3 all contain voice files for the [From Ashes] squad member. There's also a full set of model and animation files for the [character], but file encryption makes it impossible to open these for further inspection."

He continues, "These files are just as big as they are for other, non-DLC characters, suggesting that the art, animation, and voice assets for the DLC character were developed at the same time, not after the completion of the project. If these assets were developed after end of development, they would have to be downloaded - not unlocked directly from the disc."

So, things aren't looking brilliant from BioWare's side so far. However, as Jim Sterling points out over at Destructoid, BioWare didn't actually say that work on From Ashes started after the game was "content complete." Rather, the statements describe a development process which was only completed after the main game was finished, which could explain how bits and pieces of an as-yet unfinished DLC wound up on Mass Effect 3's main disc.

Given that spoilers about the existence of the From Ashes squadmate surfaced almost a year ago, it could be argued that the DLC pack was something that BioWare laid the groundwork for during planning and then properly developed after the full game had been completed. However, we won't know exactly what the flow was - or how DLC files wound up on the main game's disc - until the developers clarify their position. Whether or not you think this is a fair thing for them to have done (if you're irritated by it, you're unlikely to be alone) everything between here and a statement of clarification from BioWare will remain based in conjecture.

Source: Crystal Palace Zone, via Destructoid

I knew it, it's the same thing that happened with Shale. Except here, the Prothean would be in the game regardless, and the DLC would just allow you to access his mission and party member status.

Electronic Arts has destroyed and perverted another company. Dark days ...

A company lied to people. This is not news and nobody should be surprised. That's not even EA/Bioware specific, that's just how stuff works.

Well he doesn't appear anywhere in the game (seeing as I ave beaten it) so I will stand firm and continue to boycott this DLC as I had considered buying it if he played an important role in the game short of being a squadmate. This news just strengthens my resolve. If only people knew how to vote with their wallets :(

Bioware made Baldur's Gate 2...

Nuff said...

There seems to be a lot of hating going on with ME3. I haven't played it and probably never will, since my PC can't run it and apparently it's bad on PS3, but not a single one of my online friends purchased this game legally, and we're talking about people who have paid 100$+ for collectors editions of games many times without second thought. I'm guessing shit like this is why.

MrBrightside919:

Nuff said...

And that has nothing to do with anything at all being discussed here.

Oh Christ....Zeel is gonna have a field day if/when he returns.

anthony87:
Oh Christ....Zeel is gonna have a field day if/when he returns.

It's funny, I heard this loud, blood-curdlingesque scream a few minutes ago. It sounded very far away, but also very close. As if it had traveled many miles borne upon the wind. And the timestamp on this post checks out to when I heard the scream...

It must have been Zeel!

I hope he doesn't have an Atlas in his garage, or this is what his neighborhood will look like tonight:

DAY ONE! ON DISC! RARRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!

Soviet Heavy:

MrBrightside919:

Nuff said...

I gave my opinion...

I KNEW IT!

I plan on buying the game once the price drops by the cost of the From Ashes DLC which i guess will be in a month or two.

MrBrightside919:

Soviet Heavy:

MrBrightside919:

Nuff said...

I gave my opinion...

That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the From Ashes DLC was already on the disk. And even if you're just trying to say that you trust Bioware implicitly based off of their back library of games, it still would have no bearing on this news.

On disc DLC files in Mass Effect 3?

And its only going to get worse when Zeel comes back.

Fappy:
Well he doesn't appear anywhere in the game (seeing as I ave beaten it) so I will stand firm and continue to boycott this DLC as I had considered buying it if he played an important role in the game short of being a squadmate. This news just strengthens my resolve. If only people knew how to vote with their wallets :(

I just want to say that Javik isn't important to the plot at all. This is basically all that happens:

Shepard: So you know how to work the Prothean weapon, right?

Javik: No. I am a Soldier, not a Scientist.

That's it. That is like...all he says that's relevant to anything. You do get his gun though. Which is pretty badass until Banshees show up. It doesn't do that well against Banshees...

Kopikatsu:

Fappy:

I just want to say that Javik isn't important to the plot at all. This is basically all that happens:

That's it. That is like...all he says that's relevant to anything. You do get his gun though. Which is pretty badass until Banshees show up. It doesn't do that well against Banshees...

That's exactly my issue though. The last living Prothean SHOULD be important. The fact that it is not just cheapens the whole idea to begin with. But then again, considering how they ended the game it seems they just had a "who can come up with the worst ideas" party.

Kopikatsu:

Fappy:

Pretty much this. He is much like Zaeed. He doesn't have any interesting dialogue other then when you first bring him back to the ship, unlike any of the other squadmates. Overall, I'm not impressed with him. People are not missing out on anything.

While I do not agree in the least with what I see as an exploitative use of the DLC concept and addicted customers, nor the flexible language that is frequently used, I have no difficulties seeing both technical and story development reasons for this.

People may remember how the preceeding game in the series had tons of hooks and placeholders for content, which was to be inserted as various pieces of DLC months later, when done and portioned out.

Soviet Heavy:

MrBrightside919:

Soviet Heavy:

I gave my opinion...

That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the From Ashes DLC was already on the disk. And even if you're just trying to say that you trust Bioware implicitly based off of their back library of games, it still would have no bearing on this news.

Why are you making such a big deal of my comment? If it makes you happy, I could care less about the DLC already being on the disk. It's not like this is the first time EA has done something like this (Need for Speed, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, etc). It doesn't surprise me in the least that this would happen on a BIG release from EA considering that they've done it many times before...and will probably keep doing it to cut corners for DLC they know people will buy anyways...

...and still, if you don't like that they did that, don't buy the DLC and don't give them your money...it's a simple as that

Hmmm. Bioware lied. And they're still going to be rewarded for it.

MrBrightside919:

Soviet Heavy:

MrBrightside919:

I gave my opinion...

Why are you making such a big deal of my comment? If it makes you happy, I could care less about the DLC already being on the disk. It's not like this is the first time EA has done something like this (Need for Speed, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, etc). It doesn't surprise me in the least that this would happen on a BIG release from EA considering that they've done it many times before...and will probably keep doing it to cut corners for DLC they know people will buy anyways...

...and still, if you don't like that they did that, don't buy the DLC and don't give them your money...it's a simple as that

Good, because I didn't buy the game at all on principle against Origin.

You know, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one. But making people who buy the game new have to pay $10 for stuff already on the disc? That is just wrong in my mind. I still plan on playing and enjoying the game regardless, but god, this stuff is getting over the top. :/

Oh this is quite bad, oh well now I'm going to pretend that the reason I won't buy ME3 is because I'm boycotting it instead of because I don't have anything to play it on, so yeah Damn you EA you just lost a sale you weren't going to make anyway, TAKE THAT!!!

See, this is what I like. No "Bioware haters get one more thing to cry about" or "Evil Bioware/EA monster is lying to you and robbing yer wimmenz!" in the article. More stuff like this, please.

This is becoming such a common practice that I can't help but wonder if this kind of thing is starting to loose its news worthiness. Obviously, it's news worthy I don't mean to belittle the story but I'm sure that just about 90% of us could have predicted something like this. I wasn't planning on grabbing this one new at all and while I still plan on getting it down the line I really don't think it will matter. I'll pay for the game EA wants me to have and try to forget about the content on disc they don't deem me worthy enough to experience.

Francis:
A company lied to people. This is not news and nobody should be surprised. That's not even EA/Bioware specific, that's just how stuff works.

The catch-22 being that it is like that because people accept that it is like that.

Soviet Heavy:
I knew it, it's the same thing that happened with Shale. Except here, the Prothean would be in the game regardless, and the DLC would just allow you to access his mission and party member status.

Something that reinforces my theory that this DLC was actually suppoesed to be the "Project $10" equivilent for this game. In the case of Shale they started from the beginning the whole thing with DLing character access and her quests was incentive to buy the game new.

What I think happened was that EA decided that the popularity of Mass Effect, and people wanting to see the end of the story no matter what the game was like, made it so they were guaranteed enough new sales to make "Project $10" kind of meaningless. Rather than give that content to everyone, they decided to simply make everyone pay $10 extra for it whether they purchused it new or not, putting it into the CE for free also gave them a reason to jack up that price without actually having to develop anything new.

Truthfully, I'm kind of disgusted by ME3 to be honest, the game itself is just okay, not horrible, but not amazingly good either. Some bits of the game like running from Reapers when scanning planets just seem like the lazy inclusion of a mini-game. I mean the Normandy is supposed to be equipped with the best tech the allied races produce, and as we're seeing the allied military with what little warning and preparation they had IS slowing the reaper advance and presumably killing some of them. I'd expect the most advanced ship in the galaxy, especially with the super-gun from ME2 installed (which did blow up a Reaper/Collector ship) to be able to at least fight off intercepting destroyers, but Bioware chose to kind of forego any kind of space combat mechanic... not to mention the complete lack of vehicles (and I don't see any being promised either). Perhaps I missed it so far, but I HAVE kind of been wondering where all the Alliance's tanks are during some of these battles.

Together with what seems to be a dialed in performance by Bioware both in terms of writing and game design (apologies for what is heresy to some) we also have this game monetized with the day #1 DLC, and microtransaction fueled multiplayer. Granted there IS a way to work around the multiplayer microtransactions, but they did go out of their way to make it "pay to win" so basically anyone who drops another $10 to buy 5 Spectre Packs or whatever can pretty much play in God Mode without having to slowly earn their gear.

Of course since I already paid them for the CE (I refuse to spend money on the multiplayer) what I have to say is ultimatly fairly meaningless.

Oh and for those who read this far, the multiplayer is absolutly evil the way it's implemented. See, if you haven't played or completed ME 1 and 2 in a fairly optimum fashion getting the best/true endings are nearly impossible (some have said outright impossible) without playing the multi-player to raise your galactic readiness rating. This means a single player game fan with minimal interest in multiplayer, and probably little skill, has a good chance of being forced into multiplayer where they suck to finish the story to their satisfaction, and right there waiting for them with a cost in real money is what amounts to a shiny "I Win" button to grind through it.... and honestly I think that was intentional.

Palm to the face...
Seriously EA/Bioware?
You seriously didn't figure that SOMEBODY was going to dig through the files and find that little gold mine of information? At this point you really should have just made it free to people who purchased it new, now you are just going to have to deal with a shitstorm of bad PR.

I'm more angry that they lied about the game being 40 hours, unless you include multiplayer time, no way is that true, I've done all the side missions and am at the second to last mission, time 25 hours. That includes completing the dlc. I am dissapointed.

Surely this is the news that can only endear the general gaming public to Bioware's new, and EA's long-standing, excellent business practices.

Right?

Soviet Heavy:

Zeozen:

Jonluw:

Good, because I didn't buy the game at all on principle against Origin.

Well, basically, I think it's best to be slightly unconventional in these matters.
Sure, some may post just a single video and leave, but where's the entertainment in that?
It's all about being thorough.

I thought people already knew this?

The Prothean was in early builds of the leaked script, but they took him out and downplayed his role in the story immensely. I'm assuming they did it for DLC purposes.

Arontala:
I thought people already knew this?

The Prothean was in early builds of the leaked script, but they took him out and downplayed his role in the story immensely. I'm assuming they did it for DLC purposes.

Some of us did.
Then other people shouted us down when Bioware released their "you're all wrong, we totally made this after the game went gold" press release.

Mass Effect fans are being Milked more than the Octo mom.

Honestly, this has to be among the most controversial game launches in history among actual gamers. Honestly, with the shitstorm floating around this game I can't imagine that it doesn't hurt sales. This will either damn people to thinking all gamers whine but don't do anything or that we actually will boycott something.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here