Day-One DLC Files Appear on Mass Effect 3 Discs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

The.Bard:

Fappy:

That's exactly my issue though. The last living Prothean SHOULD be important. The fact that it is not just cheapens the whole idea to begin with. But then again, considering how they ended the game it seems they just had a "who can come up with the worst ideas" party.

Eh, maybe, but I'm not sure that idea is inherently better. I think it would have been equally silly that the ONE Prothean whose coffin didn't fail just happens to know everything about what they were doing.

I can't speak to the ending (I'm only 15 hrs in), but from what I've seen so far I have no reason to be pessimistic.

I find it hard to believe that a race of highly intelligent beings that can share their thoughts who are facing extinction wouldn't have given each and every one of the surviving few important information in the hopes that it could save the next wave of intelligent beings. Weapon schematics, ship schematics, armor, anything. I mean, the Prothean was literally the final move of the Protheans, and he's "just a soldier"? Bullshit. He was born after the fall of the Citadel and yet he knows nothing?! No advanced prototype weapons, no armor, no ship drives. No data obtained during the war against the Reapers. Nothing.

Keep digging yourself into that hole Bioware XD

Am I the only one who is super excited for Zeel's response? Mainly...the fact that...

HE WAS RIGHT?

Am I the only one who is super excited for Zeel's response? Mainly...the fact that...

HE WAS RIGHT?

wintercoat:
I find it hard to believe that a race of highly intelligent beings that can share their thoughts who are facing extinction wouldn't have given each and every one of the surviving few important information in the hopes that it could save the next wave of intelligent beings. Weapon schematics, ship schematics, armor, anything. I mean, the Prothean was literally the final move of the Protheans, and he's "just a soldier"? Bullshit. He was born after the fall of the Citadel and yet he knows nothing?! No advanced prototype weapons, no armor, no ship drives. No data obtained during the war against the Reapers. Nothing.

Well, ME1 had a cadre of stasis pods from the Protheans that were completely isolated from the others of their race. IIRC, Vigil said something along the lines of them going to sleep and hoping they would wake up after the Reapers were gone. I don't think they could have given them the information of all their people even if they HAD intended to. But again, I haven't beaten ME3 yet, so something could certainly contradict me on this in the finale. Everything I've seen from ME1 & ME2 suggests the Protheans spent their final years in complete disarray. Entire solar systems separated from others, coupled with a complete lack of communications.

Ultimately, the people LOOKING for errors are going to find them. Nothing, no work in the history of humanity, is flawless. I DESPISE Harry Potter. My wife loves it. I can point out all the flaws in the writing, and she'll shrug and say it doesn't detract from her love of the world and the characters. Her suspension of disbelief remains intact.

Same thing applies here. I love the universe, and the occasional hiccup really doesn't bug me when it's very easy to think up a workaround on the fly. I find the people "demanding" that any sane person should despise this game to be far more tedious and irksome than the game itself, which I find to be quite an agreeable old chap.

technically, if it came in the same disc its a day-0 DLC.

Just downloaded it, it's 600+MB.

So either Bioware weren't lying, or that's some huge unlock code.

kman123:

HE WAS RIGHT?

You know what they say about borken clocks.

GamesB2:

No. Someone said Bioware was lying. The 600mb download doesn't disprove the facts. And the facts are that someone said Bioware was lying.

Why should we wait for Bioware's response when we can just call them guilty now and be done with it???

We are! FOX NEWS!

The.Bard:

Chunga the Great:
Oh gee, what a fucking surprise.

Seriously, did ANYONE actually believe BioWare when they said that it was developed after the rest of the game?

But it won't make a difference, because the BioWare fanboys will just shell out the cash. Watch how in 2 years this will become normal.

The voice files being on the disc is not proof Bioware lied. They said they developed it after the game. They didn't say after the game shipped or that no piece of it wasn't on the disc already.

It took me about 15 mins to download the dlc on my 360, so a good chunk of this was NOT on the disc. Maybe we wait for a reply from Bioware before chucking stones around?

The judgment going on around here is borderline hilarious. I guess this is what we get from the Fox News Generation.... accusations = facts.

I had to download 567.2 MB of data for the From Ashes DLC on the PC version, so saying the data was all on the disc and just needed an unlock code is completely inaccurate.

M4t3us:
I used to be a Bioware fanboy, then they took to their knees before EA.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Fear not, we can top that.

I used to be a bioware fan, till I they kneed me in the groin.

There, worst use of a meme if ever I've seen one.

wintercoat:

It took the Reapers hundreds of years to conquer the Protheans. Javik even mentions how he was born during the war and never even got to see the citadel because it was the first thing to fall. Towards the end, he mentions that he knew very little about what was going on in other systems, because the communication network falls apart. He even mentions that Illos was just a rumor in his time. So it's very possible he knows very little about the Crucible, considering it was being built elsewhere. On top of that, Javik is a soldier, not a scientist.

EcksTeaSea:
Honestly, $10 isn't going to kill you people. If you can afford a $60 game, I am certain you can drop the $10 if you want it that bad.

"BUT ECKSTEASEA, IT SHOULD BE IN THE GAME WITHOUT US HAVING TO PAY! EA/BIOWARE ARE SCREWING US OVER!"

No it shouldn't. Its up to the company first off whatever goes in and out of a game. Don't like it? Go start your own company and do things the way you want to if you have some time to bitch and moan about $10. Its just another character like Zaeed or Kasumi were from ME2. I didn't see all of this when DLC was released later rather than the first day for ME2. Its the same thing here people except now on launch day. You get something that you pay for as if you would at any other point in time.

"CENTRAL TO THE STORY BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Want it? Buy it. Simple.

So entitled.

Heaven forbid consumers look out for their own interests.

I won't even buy ME3 if they make from Ashes free as damage control since this came out. DLC in form of disc locked content not downloadable content is worst. Granted I did not know of disc locked content on ME2 when I bought it last year, which I regret as would of not bought it if I had known. For me this is straw that broke camels back. Never again will I ever buy a Bioware game. Any game associated with Bioware or EA I will never buy. Nothing can make me change my opinion on Bioware now as line has been crossed.

Higgs303:

Z of the Na'vi:
The game is out. You can buy it. From Ashes is $10. You are already buying a $60 game, what is ten more dollars going to do?

Are you that insecure about your money that you are going to completely flip your shit over $10?

Just play the damn game, have fun, and shut up.

This is the sort of viewpoint that frequently comes from someone who takes a strong stance against internet piracy (I have no idea what you really think about piracy. I apologize in advance for singling you out specifically). Company screws over consumers, whatever, don't care...Consumers screw over company, how dare they! lousy thieves!

$10 dollars is a 17% increase in price. I'm sure EA/Bioware doesn't sniff at 17% of it's revenue. How long before we are paying 70-80 at retail in addition to being bilked out of yet another $10-20? If we let them, the fatcats will take advantage.

But if you can't afford it, you shouldn't buy it in the first place. There are many games which I want but I don't have the funds.

Oh wow, color me shocked.

Still, Biodrones' mouths will remain firmly clenched to EA's asshole.

GamesB2:

Not really. Biowares claim was that they started work on this DLC, with the intent to sell it for a premium, AFTER the game was cleared for shipping, production, etc. They said it was then that they came up with the idea, put it on the disk, and shipped it.

Nevermind the fact that a spript was leaked almost a year ago WITH the Prothean on it. And nevermind the fact that Day 1 DLC like this has been done, and offered for free, from BioWare with almost all of its current console releases.

And if you have content that shows up in the DLC ALSO on the disk, that means at some point, someone had to say "Hey, lets cut it and sell it to people for a premium to make more money". With other games, anything BioWare wanted but could not finish was shipped with new copies to promote buying new copies of the game. BioWare, at some point in development, was working on this parallel to the main game - which BioWare lied about. It could be the case they could not finish it in time - read the above statement. Either way, people payed full price for a game that was not finished, intentionally or otherwise. When the content was delivered, it was delivered for a premium, which is a scumbag move.

And thats why people are pissed. People are pissed at BioWare because they were scumbags about this whole thing. They clearly cut the content to sell to us as DLC - theres too much evidence to pretend like thats not the case. They lied about it afterwards. Compared with their other fiascos (Tali's reveal was a photoshoped stock Windows picture - along with a couple of other slides from the game. For a project like ME3, thats a pretty dick move).

The.Bard:

Chunga the Great:
Oh gee, what a fucking surprise.

Seriously, did ANYONE actually believe BioWare when they said that it was developed after the rest of the game?

But it won't make a difference, because the BioWare fanboys will just shell out the cash. Watch how in 2 years this will become normal.

The voice files being on the disc is not proof Bioware lied. They said they developed it after the game. They didn't say after the game shipped or that no piece of it wasn't on the disc already.

It took me about 15 mins to download the dlc on my 360, so a good chunk of this was NOT on the disc. Maybe we wait for a reply from Bioware before chucking stones around?

The judgment going on around here is borderline hilarious. I guess this is what we get from the Fox News Generation.... accusations = facts.

Bioware statement was misleading - on porpouse. They've tried to put out the fire with a vague response. They should have said:

Guys, most of our DLC is planned in conjunction with the game, so we can better integrate things (when the DLC is developed is irrelevant). This time we decided that a Day 1 DLC was a good idea, since the content was ready (and a good part of it was already in the disc).

It is greedy as hell, but I respect much more a straightforward answer than beating around the bush PR.

Uber Waddles:

GamesB2:

Not really. Biowares claim was that they started work on this DLC, with the intent to sell it for a premium, AFTER the game was cleared for shipping, production, etc. They said it was then that they came up with the idea, put it on the disk, and shipped it.

Nevermind the fact that a spript was leaked almost a year ago WITH the Prothean on it. And nevermind the fact that Day 1 DLC like this has been done, and offered for free, from BioWare with almost all of its current console releases.

And if you have content that shows up in the DLC ALSO on the disk, that means at some point, someone had to say "Hey, lets cut it and sell it to people for a premium to make more money". With other games, anything BioWare wanted but could not finish was shipped with new copies to promote buying new copies of the game. BioWare, at some point in development, was working on this parallel to the main game - which BioWare lied about. It could be the case they could not finish it in time - read the above statement. Either way, people payed full price for a game that was not finished, intentionally or otherwise. When the content was delivered, it was delivered for a premium, which is a scumbag move.

And thats why people are pissed. People are pissed at BioWare because they were scumbags about this whole thing. They clearly cut the content to sell to us as DLC - theres too much evidence to pretend like thats not the case. They lied about it afterwards. Compared with their other fiascos (Tali's reveal was a photoshoped stock Windows picture - along with a couple of other slides from the game. For a project like ME3, thats a pretty dick move).

THe Prothean is in game whether you have DLC or not. THe DLC mearly adds more prothean content.

We have NO evidence either way that the prothean content in the DLC was cut or just built upon to make the DLC.

But its just cool to beleive that we're being screwed over.

The fact it's made it onto the disk is neither here nor there on wether its cut content or specially made content.

It could well be a scumbag move but equally it could not be.

Iron Criterion:
But if you can't afford it, you shouldn't buy it in the first place. There are many games which I want but I don't have the funds.

By extension of your logic, no one should ever take out a loan on their mortgage, they should just let their home become repossessed because, oh well, couldn't afford to pay it at the time.

Soviet Heavy:

That has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the From Ashes DLC was already on the disk. And even if you're just trying to say that you trust Bioware implicitly based off of their back library of games, it still would have no bearing on this news.

Actually the from ashes dlc is not already on the disk. The voice and character animations for the companion you get are on the disk.

hooksashands:

Iron Criterion:

By extension of your logic, no one should ever take out a loan on their mortgage, they should just let their home become repossessed because, oh well, couldn't afford to pay it at the time.

You shouldn't compare games to paying a rent. A house is (usually) a necessity. Games however is something you buy when you got money to spare. But I guess it's normal for people to take loans with rents included to buy games...

Reshkar:

hooksashands:

Iron Criterion:

You shouldn't compare games to paying a rent. A house is (usually) a necessity. Games however is something you buy when you got money to spare. But I guess it's normal for people to take loans with rents included to buy games...

I never said anything about using a loan to pay for videogames. Nice try.

Just because one thing is a want and the other is a need doesn't make the comparison any less apt. After all, EA will tell you they need the extra $10 to make more DLC for the game, but that's clearly a lie. They're charging extra for anything they can smash-and-grab style, then cutting their employees loose from the payroll. Don't attempt to lecture me about why affording games and keeping a roof over my head is different, I acknowledge it's not the same exact circumstance but here's the thing: it's an example, it doesn't have to be.

You and Iron seem consigned to the idea that EA can charge whatever or try to fuck over its customer base as much as it wants, and if we don't like that then AHERP, sorry charlie, them's the breaks! No. Just, no. I'm not allowing these scumbags to lower the bar even further. It's time to draw the line. It's time to get the bleach and start scrubbing.

Its great who people who haven't downloaded it are complaining like they know what going on with the DLC.

It is NOT on the disc. The download would not be 500+ MB in size if it was, that is a waste of EA/Microsoft/Sony server space just to unlock something.

Just because the character data is in the game, doesn't mean the MISSION data, which is what the DLC is, is on the disc.

Show of hands. Is anyone suprized by this? EA is a company first and companys always lie or deny the truth in these situations. I'm still gonna wait till the gold edition comes out on steam for 30 dollas with all the DLC.

You know, I would have loved to continue giving bioware the benefit of the doubt on this one, but this is a pretty shit-move. They could have just included this for free.

DLC makes me angry, but cutting shit out of a game I bought makes me far more angry.

Flame away!

zinho73:
Bioware statement was misleading - on porpouse. They've tried to put out the fire with a vague response. They should have said:

Guys, most of our DLC is planned in conjunction with the game, so we can better integrate things (when the DLC is developed is irrelevant). This time we decided that a Day 1 DLC was a good idea, since the content was ready (and a good part of it was already in the disc).

It is greedy as hell, but I respect much more a straightforward answer than beating around the bush PR.

Eh, I haven't seen anything that would convince me they were intentionally misleading. As much as people seem to think otherwise, they don't owe us a day-by-day accounting of what is on the disc and what isn't, and whether things cut from the game during normal development were later fleshed out or removed.

This isn't a consumer rights issue, this isn't being given a hamburger and being told extra money is required to get the bun. It boils down to THIS:

"This is DLC. It costs $10. The game functions start-to-end without it."
--------------------

We as consumers then have TWO OPTIONS TO PICK FROM. ONLY TWO:
--------------------

NOOOOES. Will NOT pay $10!

- OR -

The people around here complaining as if they are entitled to get it without paying is a bit silly. Companies can do WHATEVER THEY WANT as long it isn't illegal. Generally speaking, they tend to avoid doing things that hurt their chances of getting your money. If they wanted to make Commander Shepard into a chicken, THEY CAN. The reason they don't is it hurts their longterm financials in a big way.

So at the end of the day, y'all, stop bitching in the forums and stop giving them your money. THAT is how you respond to this. It's the ONLY way to respond to this.

FIGHTING IN FORUMS IS POINTLESS.

I really don't understand what the fuss is about. If you think this is a bad move by EA/Bioware, EASY! Don't buy it and let those who are ok buying it enjoy it in peace.

EA - "Gee, how do we get people to pay $100+ for our $60 product?"

Marketing - "Trollololol..."

FenixZero:
Its great who people who haven't downloaded it are complaining like they know what going on with the DLC.

It is NOT on the disc. The download would not be 500+ MB in size if it was, that is a waste of EA/Microsoft/Sony server space just to unlock something.

Just because the character data is in the game, doesn't mean the MISSION data, which is what the DLC is, is on the disc.

Your right EA wasn't lying....from a certain point of view. But the fact that the character existed means that the DLC was in the planing early on. Which means that the mission was ether cut for time restraints, Budget, or DLC is a part of the games planing from the start.

I don't think DLC is bad. In fact its been a part of gaming since gaming existed, we just use to call them expansions and sequels. So from the designers point of view DLC is just more room to tell their epic story. but I don't want to pay 70 dollars on day one. I will wait for it to be on sale.

Can one of the incredibly knowledgeable and well informed people in this thread please enlighten me, as to what the 567.2MB file titled 'From Ashes' I just downloaded contained?

Ashoten:

FenixZero:

Your right EA wasn't lying....from a certain point of view. But the fact that the character existed means that the DLC was in the planing early on. Which means that the mission was ether cut for time restraints, Budget, or DLC is a part of the games planing from the start.

I don't think DLC is bad. In fact its been a part of gaming since gaming existed, we just use to call them expansions and sequels. So from the designers point of view DLC is just more room to tell their epic story. but I don't want to pay 70 dollars on day one. I will wait for it to be on sale.

I am of the personal opinion that 'From Ashes' was part of the main game, but cut from the game, not to make more money, but for quality reasons. Sort of like a deleted scene in a movie.

Ashoten:

FenixZero:

I don't see anything to invalidates the theory that the content was planned to be in for release, but was later cut for time constraints. Which would explain why there are some files on the disc.

Fappy:
Well he doesn't appear anywhere in the game (seeing as I ave beaten it) so I will stand firm and continue to boycott this DLC as I had considered buying it if he played an important role in the game short of being a squadmate. This news just strengthens my resolve. If only people knew how to vote with their wallets :(

I'm with you on wallet voting bud :)

I was boycotting origin until they changed the data mining part of their Eula and now that they have, I'm planning on getting ME3 eventually. Though hearing things like, lazy / buggy game design, stock photo lazy photoshops of ending scenes and tali a beloved character from all three games...idk I'm just like..what happened between games 1 and 3...I used to hands down love this franchise, now I'm torn.

--------------------------------------
Electronic Arts has announced that 3.5 million copies of Mass Effect 3 have been shipped worldwide. The number makes Mass Effect 3 the largest entertainment launch of the year thus far. EA boss John Riccitello has stated that customers bought 890,000 copies in North America alone on launch day earlier this week, reports VentureBeat. The executive's comments were made during the Wedbush Technology, Media and Telecommunications Conference, where he noted that Mass Effect 3 is meeting EA's expectations and that the company is "happy" about the results so far.

Riccitiello also mentioned sales of Mass Effect 3 downloadable content, which are already doing quite well. 40 percent of customers who purchased Mass Effect 3 from a local GameStop also purchased DLC, the highest tie ratio for downloadable content the retailer has ever seen.
--------------------------------------
THIS is why the bickering is stupid. THIS is why the entitled whining is nothing but wasted energy. Look at the # up there.

40%!!!!

4 out of every 10 people at gamestop DO NOT CARE THAT THE DAY 1 DLC COSTS MONEY. I am curious if that # includes Collector Editions, which bundle the DLC free.

What does this mean to you? You can gripe all you want about it here, this is going to become the norm. Your only hope for survival is by personally voting with your wallet.

Clearly enough people are ok paying the money to justify its existence.

So basically, its not DLC; its part-of-the-software-held-to-ransom, or POTSHTR.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here