Kingdoms of Amalur Sells 330,000 Copies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Kingdoms of Amalur Sells 330,000 Copies

Fate has been relatively kind to the new 38 Studios IP, which snagged the number four spot for February game sales in North America.

38 Studios does not have the same kind of precise control over its fate as the protagonist of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, but fortune has favored it just the same. The NPD has revealed its software sales chart for February 2012, and Amalur checked in at a respectable #4, managing to move over 330,000 copies in North America alone. While these numbers will not skyrocket the IP to overnight success, it's a fairly strong start, and could result in continued support for the fledgling franchise.

330,000 copies for a AAA title in its first month may not sound like much, but there are a few things to keep in mind. First and foremost, Amalur is a new IP; in fact, it's the only new IP to show up in the Top 10 videogame sales for February. It debuted just behind UFC Undisputed 3 and just ahead of Just Dance 3, both popular titles in established franchises. Furthermore, the NPD group surveys only North American sales, and even then, does not account for every single sale on the continent. By time sales in other regions come through, Amalur's sales figures will be higher - perhaps significantly so.

While EA should release the final word on Amalur's sales soon, these figures are fairly promising for the would-be new series. In addition to its upcoming DLC, 38 Studios has expressed interest in creating an MMO based on the franchise. Only EA can decide whether the sales figures merit further exploration of the world of Amalur, but there have certainly been worse ways to launch an IP.

Source: Joystiq 1, 2

Well that's good to hear. I really enjoyed the game and I'm happy to hear about any new IP doing well.

I am among those that purchased in the UK, but I can't yet comment on my thoughts on the game; what with Madden 12, Shadows of the Damned and especially SSX currently absorbing my time.

Judging by the size of the guide (c.600 pages) I'm in for a big treat when I do tuck in.

I didn't appreciate being "forced" to play the Mass Effect 3 demo however.

The sales are right around where they should be, this is pretty much about as by the numbers and inoffensive as a pseudo-RPG can get, those who like this kind of thing will find few things to dislike here while between other more amazing titles.

As a result, a strong, but not spectcular showing is fair. It's one of those games I say is good, but I'm not about to rave about. The kind of thing you recommend to someone desperate to find another game, who liked ones similar to this, as opposed to something you run out and scream everyone should start playing right now.

Perhaps a sequel will be greenlit, and with it will come more personality. Truthfully with a team of Salvatore and Mcfarlane, I was expecting something a lot less generic than what we wound up with. I don't think I saw one bit of the dark insanity that made Mcfarlane such a success with his comic work... he should have stuck with his own style, rather than trying to imitate Blizzard's.

I don't know, I kind of had images of something like "Dark Ages Spawn" spliced with Mcfarlane's "Twisted Land Of Oz" action figures, with a high fantasy story written by Salvatore. Something where we are shown how nasty and brutal things can be to the max, but
we still have a white knight rise above it all and manage to somehow make the story upbeat despite all of the darkness (ie Salvatore before he started doing things like turning Wulfgar into a drunken moron).

I can't describe it, I just somehow expected more that whan we got from this product.

I'm glad their 'thread of fate' is doing sew well.

Always nice to see new IP's doing well, lets hope this becomes a whole new franchise. We could always use more IP's but them doing well is the problem. I loved killer7, shame it never had a sequel. No more heroes is goin strong strong though.

Glad to see a new IP getting some respect on the market. Might actually persuade more devs to take risks on something more than "call of battlefield 14". Wouldnt mind seeing the official figures from EA.

"While EA should release the final word on Amalur's sales soon, these figures are fairly promising for the would-be new series"

As Yahtzee said, it's a massive rehash of Tolkiens ONE take on fantasy (read Extra Punctuation...), and it may be nice, but, seriously? This is not a "new" IP, since it's basically ripping off 99% of the games in it's genre before it. Now, Ashura's Wrath might be considdered an actual new IP (at least in gaming)... Let's hope that does well! :)

Eh, I hope they fix the glaring issues with the first game in the sequel.

I purchased* it and im really glad I did, it is a fantastic RPG loaded with plenty of content to last me ages.

*used

Why does EA have say?

Isn't this a Partner Program game?

In fact 38 Studios probably is and will keep developing the MMO. EA might just pass on being the distributor.

(Amalur and Reckoning are owned by 38Studios and it's mother company which is not EA).

When worst comes to worst and they don't find a distributor for the MMO they could just go the digital only route since you need internet to play the MMO anyway I see no negatives to releasing it online only.

On the other hand you'd miss out on the charm of being able to go to launch events in stores.

While EA should release the final word on Amalur's sales soon, these figures are fairly promising for the would-be new series. In addition to its upcoming DLC 38 Studios has expressed interest in creating an MMO based on the franchise.

I swear the game started life as an MMO, and then was turned into a regular RPG.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kenjitsuka:

As Yahtzee said, it's a massive rehash of Tolkiens ONE take on fantasy (read Extra Punctuation...), and it may be nice, but, seriously? This is not a "new" IP, since it's basically ripping off 99% of the games in it's genre before it. Now, Asura's Wrath might be considered an actual new IP (at least in gaming)... Let's hope that does well! :)

As much as I agree with you that this is generic fantasy garbage, claiming something isn't new because it rips something off just isn't true, as that can be said of many games including Asura's Wrath which "rips off" Hindu Mythology

Kenjitsuka:
"While EA should release the final word on Amalur's sales soon, these figures are fairly promising for the would-be new series"

As Yahtzee said, it's a massive rehash of Tolkiens ONE take on fantasy (read Extra Punctuation...), and it may be nice, but, seriously? This is not a "new" IP, since it's basically ripping off 99% of the games in it's genre before it. Now, Ashura's Wrath might be considdered an actual new IP (at least in gaming)... Let's hope that does well! :)

A new IP, is a new IP. If your're saying new IPs can't be derivative than you have to take a good look at the pedigree of Ashura's Wrath.

(For example Ashura's Wrath seems very derivative of God of War with Hindi instead of Greek gods, Bayonetta and Dragon Ball Z, now if you like some of those things it's derivitave nature is actually a good thing for you).

It will be a few weeks till we hear the sales numbers of Ashuras Wrath so I don't see why in your mind it's going head-to-head with Reckoning in this discussion.

Yes, I know they are the only two 'new IPs' that have been released the last months. But unless there is some info on sales figures for Ashura's Wrath I don't see the relevance in the discussion on Reckonings salesfigures.

JokerboyJordan:

While EA should release the final word on Amalur's sales soon, these figures are fairly promising for the would-be new series. In addition to its upcoming DLC 38 Studios has expressed interest in creating an MMO based on the franchise.

I swear the game started life as an MMO, and then was turned into a regular RPG.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Big Huge Games was developing a single-player action-RPG game called Aschendant with Ken Rolston as lead. Then Big Huge Games had to close it's doors or be sold.

At the same time Kurt Shilling was working on an MMO codenamed Project Copernicus with his own studio 38Studios. He saw Big Hug Games was for sale and that Big Huge Games were working on a single-player action RPG. He decided to buy Big Huge Games and their work in progress.

Then they reworked the original Big Huge Games RPG into a prequel taking place hundreds or thousands of years before the time the MMO takes place.

Waiting on a bit of cash to buy it, but I do intend to. At some point. Just kind of been a rough couple of months, for money. But I'll get it, eventually.

Good. KOAR is a solid start into the RPG genre and I want to see a franchise. I'll pass on the MMO, though.

Kenjitsuka:

There is nothing new under the sun. If the game was copying things step for step, then yes, that's a rip off. Inspiration can't be conjured out of the air, it needs to come from experiences around the dev team.

I am very happy to hear about this.

However this prompts something.

I know its Saturday night but this means its time for math homework.

This figure of 330k sales represents an estimate of north american sales, not including digital distribution.

330k x 60$ per sale (as its yet to go on standard MSRP rate reduction)= 19800000 that is almost 20 million dollars for only a fraction (albeit a sizable fraction like 2/5ths) of the revenue generated.

Average triple A title runs about 10 million dollars to produce.

So just shy of 20 million - 10 million on production costs means that before things like every other market in the world producing their sales figures as well as the digital distribution, PLUS how much money it will continue to make as it whittles down from 60-20$ over the course of the next year or so, PLUS DLC sales means that the game has made its production cost, plus funded a sequel, Plus all the uncounted figures make up for pure profit. = triple A publishers like EA claiming piracy is killing the industry and implementing things like project 10$ and online passes is utter bullshit designed to dupe the abundance of gullible gamers into beliving a woe is me story.

Please stop buying into this nonsense and blatant lies.
When you defend these things your only hurting... everybody.

viranimus:
I am very happy to hear about this.

However this prompts something.

I know its Saturday night but this means its time for math homework.

This figure of 330k sales represents an estimate of north american sales, not including digital distribution.

330k x 60$ per sale (as its yet to go on standard MSRP rate reduction)= 19800000 that is almost 20 million dollars for only a fraction (albeit a sizable fraction like 2/5ths) of the revenue generated.

So just shy of 20 million - 10 million on production costs means that before things like every other market in the world producing their sales figures as well as the digital distribution, PLUS how much money it will continue to make as it whittles down from 60-20$ over the course of the next year or so, PLUS DLC sales means that the game has made its production cost, plus funded a sequel, Plus all the uncounted figures make up for pure profit. = triple A publishers like EA claiming piracy is killing the industry and implementing things like project 10$ and online passes is utter bullshit designed to dupe the abundance of gullible gamers into beliving a woe is me story.

When you defend these things your only hurting... everybody.

I'm not privy to the particulars of Reckoning's development, but it isn't wise to assume that all $60 of a game's asking price goes back to the publisher. The stores take a portion of the sales so they can turn a profit, the consoles charge a licensing fee, some of the money is going to go back to the developer itself, and seeing as EA's name is on the back of the box, I'm going to assume some of it is going to them as well. Not to mention the miscellaneous, colorful range of various expenses incorporated into the cost of the game.

Of course, digital distribution is cutting down on these expenses, but they're still prevelant enough to warrant mention.

Series is dead. It didn't break 1million sales, EA will scrap the IP and gut the studio.

Hal10k:

I'm not privy to the particulars of Reckoning's development, but it isn't wise to assume that all $60 of a game's asking price go back to the publisher. The stores take a portion of the sales so they can turn a profit, the consoles charge a licensing fee, some of the money is going to go back to the developer itself, and seeing as EA's name is on the back of the box, I'm going to assume some of it is going to them as well. Not to mention the miscellaneous, colorful range of various expenses incorporated into the cost of the game.

Of course, digital distribution is cutting down on these expenses, but they're still prevelant enough to warrant mention.

That is an extremely fair assessment. However, those are covered under and included in production costs. You cannot make a "budget" without accounting for your various expenditures. But even if that was not the case, Im certain that the EU markets figures + DD figures, Plus the whittle down profits are MORE than enough to make up for that any other extraneous costs such as having to pay bigger names like Todd McFarlane, R.A.Salvatore, etc.

Good to hear it. It's a great game that deserves great sales. Nice to see a new IP doing well.

viranimus:

That is an extremely fair assessment. However, those are covered under and included in production costs. You cannot make a "budget" without accounting for your various expenditures. But even if that was not the case, Im certain that the EU markets figures + DD figures, Plus the whittle down profits are MORE than enough to make up for that any other extraneous costs such as having to pay bigger names like Todd McFarlane, R.A.Salvatore, etc.

Yeah, an initial assessment of 330K sales in a relatively limited market probably means that the game is more than going to make up its development costs. But there's something important about game distribution that you don't seem to be taking into account. Distributors like Gamestop typically don't pass their profits back to the publisher directly. Rather, they just purchase the games from publishers outright- usually for around $30- and sell them back to the consumer for the inflated price. If the game sees enough sales, they'll purchase more copies of the game. If the price of the game drops significantly, it's usually a sign that either the store has stopped purchasing them from the publisher, or the publisher has dropped their asking price significantly as well.

The licensing fees and whatnot aren't built into the overall budget either. Since they're dependent on the amount of units sold, something that can't be determined for the purposes of a contract before sales are tabulated, the costs are literally incorporated into the price of the game itself. So somewhere in the neighborhood of $3-$10 depending on the platform will be taken from that $30 from the distributors.

Sylveria:
Series is dead. It didn't break 1million sales, EA will scrap the IP and gut the studio.

EA is just acting as co-publisher. The IP & studio are owned by 38 Studios, who probably have more modest expectations for sales.

Happy they consider it successful, but that doesn't sound like a lot of sales tbh, especially for a title like that. And not to "offend" people who like the game, but I think it's perfectly logical the number isn't higher, they set the expectations really, really high and playing the game... well maybe it's just not my type, but I wasn't even marginally impressed.

Considering they were trying something relatively new though, kudos for that and I'm glad they consider it a success, it means they can work on something else that might be good, whether a sequel or a different title.

See EA, when you sell your stuff via Steam, good things happen. Only if they did with the 'big' titles, BF3 n' ME3.
I'm still playing the game and enjoying it, I hope to see BIG HUGE GAMES again with their next title.

viranimus:

And NDP doesn't track all stores. This includes Wal-Mart, last I knew. But:

This is assuming pure profit aside from the following "production" costs.

I've read higher. It also depends on how you're defining "produce," because you're using it for what is generally considered development costs. To take the final product and get it to stores, the distribution cost, is an additional charge.

that being said:

So just shy of 20 million - 10 million on production costs

So pure assumption - incomplete number based on an average and neglecting distribution and promotion = number that doesn't mean much to anyone.

PLUS how much money it will continue to make as it whittles down from 60-20$ over the course of the next year or so

that's not how it works, there.

the game has made its production cost, plus funded a sequel,

IF the production costs are in line with your guess, yes it has. It has not necessarily funded a sequel, however. That's fairly optimistic based on no real info.

Plus all the uncounted figures make up for pure profit.

"pure profit" in the eyes of a kid with a lemonade stand, perhaps.

= triple A publishers like EA claiming piracy is killing the industry and implementing things like project 10$ and online passes is utter bullshit designed to dupe the abundance of gullible gamers into beliving a woe is me story.

Based on what? This game HAD an online pass. They could just as easily attribute its success to such an incentive, and both them and you have equal justification to work with. That is to say: nothing.

I'm going to have to give you partial credit. You got a valid answer with some lousy math. Please see me after class.

Valagetti:
See EA, when you sell your stuff via Steam, good things happen. Only if they did with the 'big' titles, BF3 n' ME3.
I'm still playing the game and enjoying it, I hope to see BIG HUGE GAMES again with their next title.

What does this have to do with Steam? NDP doesn't track digital sales.

That's nice to know. They really need to make the game more difficult and give it some more interesting lore in any future sequels, but I'm glad they did well.

also, these new captchas are a nice improvement

I really can't get into this game. I bought it based off a suggestion from a friend and from a GameStop employee. I said I was looking for something with a deep story that I could get immersed in. I just can't get into that game. It doesn't draw me in. The game isn't bad by any means(as far as I've played), but it just doesn't have that "it" factor that makes me want to play it.

That, and I bought UFC Undicputed 3 on the same day, and the career mode has me hooked. That shit is like crack. Fuck you Herb Dean!(He has been the referee in all 4 of my career losses)

Sylveria:

EA doesn't own the studio or IP rights so they can't do anything. Get your facts straight before posting blatant bullshit.

It'll be interesting to see if KoA can sustain their sales, given the mixed nature of the reviews it's been getting.

even if ea thinks it flops and refuses to publish Copernicus they can still self publish it as a free to play game.

It was a smart move to cross-promote the game with rewards in Mass Effect 3 for playing the KOA demo (and vice versa). I wouldn't have looked twice at this game if it didn't give me a motive to play the demo.

Now of course I am playing through ME3 but at least I still got this to go back to after that :)

It was a solid game, it deserved it.

I doubt we'll see an end to the franchise just yet. Since that controversy with Mass Effect, i think EA will need more RPG's.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here