Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Explodes Like a Blood Sausage

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Explodes Like a Blood Sausage

The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter is now live!

In 1988, Brian Fargo, Alan Pavlish, Michael Stackpole and Ken St. Andre created a computer RPG called Wasteland that followed the exploits of a squad of Desert Rangers as they roamed the blasted wastes of a post-apocalyptic Earth. It was deep, it was glorious and when hassles over rights to the IP prevented a sequel, it served as the inspiration for the far-more-famous post-nuclear RPG series Fallout. And now, hopefully. it's on the way back.

The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter went live today with a goal of $900,000 and while it's not running away with it quite as quickly as the wildly successful Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter, at this point it appears well on its way to success. Over $80,000 has been pledged in just the first few hours of the first day and Fargo noted on Twitter, perhaps with just a touch of exaggeration, that the $1000 tier, limited to 100 backers, "will be sold out before the West Coast wakes up."

Speaking of tiers, fans who pledge a minimum of $15 will receive a DRM-free copy of Wasteland 2 plus a "unique and quirky" party skill that will only be available to backers. Higher pledges bring better rewards: $50 gets a boxed copy of the game and an early release of the first part of a Wasteland 2 "episodic novella" written by Michael Stackpole; $100 earns the "premium collector's edition" of the boxed game, a Wasteland miniature and your name in the credits; $1000 gets your name into the game as an NPC, weapon or location; $10,000 gets you an invite to a party with Fargo, Pavlish and company, plus an in-game shrine in your honor and a boatload of other stuff. There are plenty of other in-between options as well.

The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter, which runs until the morning of April 17, is up now at kickstarter.com.

Wasteland 2 will be the like the Fallout 3 gamers never got.

I'm gunna make him an offer he can't refuse

I must say, THAT is how you make a video!

It's at about 131,000 now.

So happy right now. So damn happy.

Wow, you can get a lot of neat stuff once it starts rounding into the 1k+, become an NPC, Weapon or Item, or be a statue or get a Blood Sausage.

Neat to see Kickstarter helping to revive some old studio projects.

I'd love to sink five figures into this but I'm afraid that my ceiling is $100. A very happy and enthusiastic $100.

Totalbiscuit donated 1000 dollars. Cant wait to kill him in the game.

If only I could break reality and hug Brian Fargo through my computer screen right now...

Fortunately I just got a HST rebate, that money's going to Wasteland 2.

Jesus.

I'm like one of the few Escapists who actually remember playing the game on my trusty Apple IIc at its original release. (I graduated with the first publisher's mom, evidently.)

"Death and drek!" you cry, as you see your demise in the form of [insert monster here].

The idea of a sequel actually worries me: this will be much more like a book to movie translation than a VG sequel, given the age of the original (and its decidedly low-res graphics). It just cannot possibly live up to the expectations of some of us.

But I suppose I'd rather they try and fail, as opposed to letting the IP just molder in the 'ancient history' bin.

I remember that game on the C64, but only faintly - it wasn't really my thing. Still, whenever I see Michael Stackpole's name I immediately think of the Pulling Report.

Unfortunately I can only put down $100, but it seems like the project is going really well so far. Hopefully it hits its mark and then some.

I've been waiting impatiently for this since it was confirmed last week. I think this is a fantastic way to test the viability of a given game/franchise and give gamers with niche tastes what they want.

$30 pledged here and good luck to them.

$193, 000 and counting!

Andy Chalk:
I'd love to sink five figures into this but I'm afraid that my ceiling is $100. A very happy and enthusiastic $100.

Apparently the first 10.000$ pledge was Notch: https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/179621911054123008
And the 5.000$ one Mike Capps from EPiC: http://i.imgur.com/TJSrb.jpg

It`s quite cool to see fan support helping like this. Hopefully they´ll get to the limit, and produce something awesome. Over 200 thousand donated. Quite awesome indeed.

Ok now to cancel my pre order of Tales of Graces F so I can donate towards this. After hearing how the tone is for Tales of Graces F no way. Not wasting my time with that again. As for this well I remember thinking this wasn't going to work because I didn't see a lot of people looking interested. I am so glad to be wrong here.

YES, YES. Finally we will get a great CRPG. Obsidian, what are you waiting for ?

Imbechile:
YES, YES. Finally we will get a great CRPG. Obsidian, what are you waiting for ?

Probably for the kickstarter craze to die down a bit or to figure out what they would use it on. Double fine wanted to make an adventure game and Fargo wanted to make Wasteland 2. Obsidian was talking about making something and asked people what they would like to see. Though I am also waiting for Obsidian to announce one as well so I can throw all my money into it.

I'd donate the max, sadly, I can't afford it.

Words cannot describe how much I've been waiting for a new Wasteland.

Currently it's at $303,000.

This is officially more amazing than the Psychonauts 2 kickstart.

People really want to see their wasteland.

EDIT

In the single minute since reading the Wasteland 2 kickstart page and writing this post, the amount went up to $305,000.

I really, really don't think they're going to have a problem getting this puppy off the ground.

80Maxwell08:

Imbechile:

Probably for the kickstarter craze to die down a bit or to figure out what they would use it on. Double fine wanted to make an adventure game and Fargo wanted to make Wasteland 2. Obsidian was talking about making something and asked people what they would like to see. Though I am also waiting for Obsidian to announce one as well so I can throw all my money into it.

All they have to say is "old-school RPG headed by Sawyer, Avellone, and Cain" for me to throw all my money at them as hard as I possibly can.

Also, the pot's at ~314,000

I'd like the combat system to be more in the lines of Fallout or Brotherhood of Steel (I think the alternate name was Tactics) rather than the original Wasteland/Fountain of Dreams style
the original Wasteland combat felt very clunky and hard to follow =P

see this publishers?!?! see this!!

take some fucking notes!! gamers will pay for games we actually want!!

Damn! If only I wasn't up to my neck in student loans!

Must.. give.. lots.. of... money.. don't... need.. books.. next... semester. right?

I wasn't even born when Wasteland came out xD, but I'm excited about this. We need more games like this. I just hope the game doesn't get any negative side effects from being fan-funded. I see plenty of pitfalls.

Andy Chalk:

The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter went live today with a goal of $900,000 and while it's not running away with it quite as quickly as the wildly successful Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter, at this point it appears well on its way to success. Over $80,000 has been pledged in just the first few hours of the first day

I think you're gonna have to redact this. Currently the total stands at $391,000, only $60,000 short of the halfway mark. And this is on the first day!

Double Fine was a resounding success, but this looks to be on a different order of successful entirely. If money keeps getting donated at this rate, they'll raise a million bucks for the development of Wasteland 2 in around three days. That would be a huge new landmark in indie publishing and financing.

All right, I'm in. A shame I really wanted that ivory back-scratcher. After this is complete and does well I hope someone can pick up the Twilight 2000 license and make a squad based RPG based on that. As I recall Sid Meier's Pirates! Pools of Radiance and then Wasteland were my go to games on the C=64.

Fan funding is the best way to make games. Screw the publishers. I'll donate as much as I can.

Last I checked they were at $508,947. That's over half way to the goal in one day. I don't think they're going to have any trouble.

And after a bit more than 24 hours, we're up to $682,427.

I think we might just make it.

I love that video with the publisher portrayed as a snobby kid!

Im down for 500, I WANT THIS GAME!

Couple things I'm confused about.

1. What kind of quality game do you expect them to make when they are only shooting for 1-1.5m of funding?
2. What do you think the result will be of them forcing in so many peoples name/likeness?

"Speaking of tiers, fans who pledge a minimum of $15 will receive a DRM-free copy of Wasteland 2"

So it will have DRM for everyone else? You would think if they were making the game based on the community paying for it, they wouldn't put something in that the vast majority of the gaming community is against. I'm already automatically not interested in the game after reading that.

Magnicon:
Couple things I'm confused about.

1. What kind of quality game do you expect them to make when they are only shooting for 1-1.5m of funding?
2. What do you think the result will be of them forcing in so many peoples name/likeness?

"Speaking of tiers, fans who pledge a minimum of $15 will receive a DRM-free copy of Wasteland 2"

So it will have DRM for everyone else? You would think if they were making the game based on the community paying for it, they wouldn't put something in that the vast majority of the gaming community is against. I'm already automatically not interested in the game after reading that.

Considering the names are going to be on NPCs, ITEMS, and LOCATIONS

not that hard, think of how many NPCs and items are in your average RPG.

Magnicon:

If you are convinced that the line you quoted implies that all other available methods of acquiring Wasteland will have DRM, and that is sufficient enough reason for you to avoid the a sequel produced by industry legends, then this game is just not for you.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here