Player Accidentally Unlocks Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer DLC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Player Accidentally Unlocks Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer DLC

If a leaked screenshot is to be believed, we've got playable Batarians and Geth incoming.

An anonymous poster has revealed a screenshot that seems to imply a new set of characters and classes will soon be padding Mass Effect 3's multiplayer coop experience via some form of DLC. Two new playable races, Geth and Batarian, have appeared, as well as two new classes: the Krogan Battlemaster and the Asari Justicar.

If the screenshot is legit, each of the six primary classes would presumably expand from the already-included four to five. The Engineer and Infiltrator classes would pick up a Geth, Soldier and Sentinel would get a Batarian option, Adept would include the Krogan Battlemaster, and Vanguard would accommodate the Asari Justicar, keeping things all nice and symmetrical-like. All characters are shown inside a golden border, signifying a "rare" status.

The story of how these six new characters appeared goes something like this: A player with access to the "Developer server" was given the option to purchase (with game credits) a randomized pack. In the standard servers, those packs only include the Recruit, Veteran, and Spectre. On the developer server, players are also supposedly given access to a "test DLC" pack, which is from whence these six shiny new space warriors hypothetically hatched.

The brain trust over at reddit (where the image surfaced) have speculated that these characters may be tied to January's announcement of randomized DLC being included with game tie-in action figures, but seeing as how the figures are of the primary cast, it seems somewhat unlikely that buying a plastic Garrus for your desk would somehow directly tie to receiving a Geth Infiltrator in game.

For now, it's impossible to say if this will be a free update, a paid DLC pack, or if what we're looking at is just a bit of Photoshop tomfoolery. It does stand to reason, however, that BioWare will eventually pad its popular, yet Spartan coop experience in some form, but the specifics of which will remain hazy until an official announcement is made.

A lot of people don't think it's legit. Personally I am hopeful. I love the idea of playing any of those classes. Count me as one of the few Batarian fans. Need more MP stuff so I don't need to think about ending XP

Bioware withholding already developed features from a game to be released as DLC?
image Yeah seems legit to me.

... Hell yes Krogan Battlemaster. Oh god this is better than sex.

I wouldn't be surprised tbh, but a bit suspicious of the fact that Krogan *still* won't be vanguards, with battlemaster hypothetically going to adept. This also still leaves the issue of there will now be 2 options for Asari as either adept or vanguard, based on which one that class would go to (which is somewhat unexpected, since it seemed like they were trying to keep only the humans with 2 options for the gender choice).

fingers crossed it IS legit and now an attempt to change press focus.

*dangles cookie*

Doc Theta Sigma:
... Hell yes Krogan Battlemaster. Oh god this is better than sex.

Yes. Oh Helllllllllllllllllz yes.

The Krogan sentinel is not nearly efficient enough at wallowing in the blood of his fallen enemies. Maybe the Battlemaster will have a flying headbutt. That would be so awesome.

eventhorizon525:
I wouldn't be surprised tbh, but a bit suspicious of the fact that Krogan *still* won't be vanguards, with battlemaster hypothetically going to adept. This also still leaves the issue of there will now be 2 options for Asari as either adept or vanguard, based on which one that class would go to (which is somewhat unexpected, since it seemed like they were trying to keep only the humans with 2 options for the gender choice).

I figured Asari Justicar is just an adapt with a different flavor while Krogan Battlemaster would be a Vanguard. Wrex was a Battlemaster in ME1 (flavor version of Vanguard for him). They should really change the race tree for Asari adepts and vanguards if they release a Justicar though. Having a Justicar tree when there is a Justicar class is confusing and misleading. Should just be called the "Huntress" tree for adepts and vanguards.

Fappy:

eventhorizon525:

I figured Asari Justicar is just an adapt with a different flavor while Krogan Battlemaster would be a Vanguard. Wrex was a Battlemaster in ME1 (flavor version of Vanguard for him). They should really change the race tree for Asari adepts and vanguards if they release a Justicar though. Having a Justicar tree when there is a Justicar class is confusing and misleading. Should just be called the "Huntress" tree for adepts and vanguards.

Im pretty sure the Asari's racial skills are already called Asari Justicar, so I dont see what or how these Justicars could be implemented.

of course, it could be like the Battlefield 3 soldier, looks just like the Human Male Soldier but with different skills.

Though I welcome more characters and hopefully more maps, I cant help but think of how many credits I will have to burn through to get just one of those characters.

Well, thankfully they let use buy the packs with points.

DVS BSTrD:
Bioware withholding already developed features from a game to be released as DLC?
image Yeah seems legit to me.

pictures of this DLC already on the disk or I call bullshit on the grounds of self-entitled gamer Bawww"ing syndrome.

Im going to assume that they haven't got the files already on disc. In which case, cool.

When I played the demo the first thing I thought was "dammit why can't I play as a geth?"
Now I can if I ever get the game and then decide to pay extra for the DLC. This pleases me.

Also, I don't mind this as DLC. This is totally fine, the only thing that could go wrong here is if it turns out they already developed them and the files are on the disc.

2 weeks later.
(dandark looks at a news article about how multiplayer DLC files were already on the disc and the price to buy is 40$)

Dandark:...............................FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would really like to play as a Geth :D

Fappy:

eventhorizon525:

Well, my placement of the Battlemaster and the Justicar into Adept and Vanguard was just supposition. I agree that Adept and Vanguard aren't solid fits for either, but my thinking was that the Adept Class already had an Asari, and the Vanguard didn't. I do agree, however, that Wrex is probably a bit closer to Vanguard if you had to choose.

Mike Kayatta:

Fappy:

eventhorizon525:

Well, my placement of the Battlemaster and the Justicar into Adept and Vanguard was just supposition. I agree that Adept and Vanguard aren't solid fits for either, but my thinking was that the Adept Class already had an Asari, and the Vanguard didn't. I do agree, however, that Wrex is probably a bit closer to Vanguard if you had to choose.

I just hope they don't give him biotic charge. A Krogan with charge would be way too good. :O

Dear Bioware,

if you charge for this, you are assholes. If this doesn't come with more maps, you are assholes. If you haven't even considered adding more enemy types, you are giant assholes.

And most importantly, if you do the typical Bioware thing and don't intend to patch/rebalance the multiplayer, you need to be ruined. Seriously, the MP is still a buggy mess, with people constantly falling through the world, enemies going immune to damage, skills not firing when clicked on (especially with Biotic Charge, getting Vanguards killed), horrible difficulty scaling from bronze to silver to gold, assault rifles being almost uniformly garbage when compared to heavy pistols, and the soldier class being nearly worthless. Seriously, AR without the time dilation (I realize it had to go for MP) it so beyond shit, especially when you compare it to how stupidly overpowered Energy Drain, Stasis, Sabotage, and Cluster Grenades are.

I'd like to be able to play a full match without being kicked off the server!

Does anyone doubt that this will cost them an additional 10 dollars? maybe even 15? You guys have been reeled in. They aren't going to stop cashing you guys in.

And you only have yourselves to blame.

Jennacide:
Dear Bioware,

if you charge for this, you are assholes. If this doesn't come with more maps, you are assholes. If you haven't even considered adding more enemy types, you are giant assholes.

And most importantly, if you do the typical Bioware thing and don't intend to patch/rebalance the multiplayer, you need to be ruined. Seriously, the MP is still a buggy mess, with people constantly falling through the world, enemies going immune to damage, skills not firing when clicked on (especially with Biotic Charge, getting Vanguards killed), horrible difficulty scaling from bronze to silver to gold, assault rifles being almost uniformly garbage when compared to heavy pistols, and the soldier class being nearly worthless. Seriously, AR without the time dilation (I realize it had to go for MP) it so beyond shit, especially when you compare it to how stupidly overpowered Energy Drain, Stasis, Sabotage, and Cluster Grenades are.

I would like to co-sign this. With glitter text. But I won't. Because it would be an eye sore.

But, being able to play a Geth infiltrator would make me soooooooooooo happy.

Windu23:

Jennacide:
Dear Bioware,

I would like to co-sign this. With glitter text. But I won't. Because it would be an eye sore.

Better start saving up Jimmy.

You can mow my lawn if you want.

I wouldnt be surprised if they charged 10 dollars per character.

putowtin:
I'd like to be able to play a full match without being kicked off the server!

It's amazing how awful EA servers are. I'm more amazed when I'm not kicked from a server...in any EA online game.

I actually do hope the Batarian classes are legit on the grounds of it'd be interesting to see what they can do. Think about it, outside of "shoot things," what do we know Batarians can do?

I think the other four (the two Geth classes, the Krogan Battlemaster and the Asari Justicar) are fake, though. Geth for gameplay reasons (it'd get too confusing if you're fighting the Geth as enemies) and the Battlemaster and Justicar because really they're just the Krogan Soldier and Asari Adept with specialized skills.

I'm just trying to figure out how having a Geth on your side is supposed to make sense while fighting the synthetic bastards.

Kalezian:

pictures of this DLC already on the disk or I call bullshit on the grounds of self-entitled gamer Bawww"ing syndrome.

Didn't take long for that particular not-argument to pop up.
Then again, this is a topic about potential ME3 DLC. Tis to be expected.

I should keep a running tally for each instance someone misuses the word "entitlement" in an argument against DLC.

Zeel:

Windu23:

Jennacide:
Dear Bioware,

Better start saving up Jimmy.

You can mow my lawn if you want.

I wouldnt be surprised if they charged 10 dollars per character.

We get it, Bioware is Satan and has plans to murder the world via $10 dollar optional DLC. You can stop banging on about it now.

This is EA we're talking about.
Of course it'll be paid DLC.
And I wouldn't hesitate to bet they'll release 'premium' weapons DLC as well.
And a map pack while they're at it.
All separate, of course.

Zeel:
Does anyone doubt that this will cost them an additional 10 dollars? maybe even 15? You guys have been reeled in. They aren't going to stop cashing you guys in.

And you only have yourselves to blame.

ZEEL! You're back! Hey! Break out the party hats!

I'm glad to see your vacation hasn't dampened that positive outlook of yours we all know and love! Nothing can dampen your spirits!

You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna buy the DLC for the 360, and THEN, I'm gonna buy a copy on PC, and then buy the DLC AGAIN. And the whole time I will dance dance DAAAANCE in my underwear.

A far more attractive depiction of me underwear dancing.

Wait a second... "Geth Infiltratior"?

Huh.

OT. Hope this is legit becasue infiltrator is my favorite class and the Geth are my favorite race in the ME3 universe.

Atmos Duality:
I should keep a running tally for each instance someone misuses the word "entitlement" in an argument against DLC.

Color me curious... in what was is calling a bunch of people who think - nay, demand - that they be given content at no additional charge anything but a case of entitlement? According to Merriam-Webster:

Definition of ENTITLEMENT (pay special attention to #3):

1:
a : the state or condition of being entitled : right
b : a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract

2: a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group; also : funds supporting or distributed by such a program

3: belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges

Most of the arguments against the DLC rely upon "the belief that the buyer is deserving of or entitled to" the privilege of cost-free DLC. Thus, entitlement.

TopazFusion:
Ah yes, "accidentally"

I'm wondering how many DLCs this game will have, ultimately.

There's at least 6 jump points on the galaxy map that don't turn into systems you can jump too by the end of the game. Yet reapers land on them. So I'd say minimum of 3, possibly as many as 6.

Adept would include the Krogan Battlemaster, and Vanguard would accommodate the Asari Justicar,

are we sure this isn't backwards? o.O

Whoops, guess someone gave the wrong guy access to their servers.

erttheking:
I'm just trying to figure out how having a Geth on your side is supposed to make sense while fighting the synthetic bastards.

SPOILERS!

Because in a perfect play-through, you can get both the Quarians and the Geth for the final battles. This is why they would be in multiplayer (and why there's RAGE over the "synthetics v. organics" theme of the ending - it can be disproved in a paragon run, and now, apparently, in multiplayer).

Of course, Geth do not intentionally infiltrate, so...

The.Bard:

Color me curious... in what was is calling a bunch of people who think - nay, demand - that they be given content at no additional charge anything but a case of entitlement? According to Merriam-Webster:

Most of the arguments against the DLC rely upon "the belief that the buyer is deserving of or entitled to" the privilege of cost-free DLC. Thus, entitlement.

Pay special attention to the word "BELIEF", it completely undermines "entitlement" as an objective argument.

Here's the real "controversy":
"This DLC is overpriced, and is making the game cost more." </whine>
"No, it isn't. You're acting entitled. Shut the fuck up." </high horse>

What gets defined as "extra"? Who sets the standards? The customer? The Publisher? Well, if we blindly accept the Publisher, then expecting anything more than an opening crawl and a credits roll could be interpreted as "Entitled" too.
If we blindly accept the customer, then the game ought to not only include all the content, but be free of charge as well.

It's a revolving door of useless argumentation. Two sides screaming uselessly at each other over something that does not have a definitive "right" or "wrong" answer.

Hence, why using "entitlement" as an objective argument is absolute bullshit, and using it as a catty insult is nothing more than trolling.

Must be hax. Nobody gets that many golds in a pack. [/troll]

Still, I'd like to play as a Geth. Legion was awesomesauce.

Atmos Duality:

The.Bard:

Pay special attention to the word "BELIEF", it completely undermines "entitlement" as an objective argument.

Here's the real "controversy":
"This DLC is overpriced, and is making the game cost more." </whine>
"No, it isn't. You're acting entitled. Shut the fuck up." </high horse>

What gets defined as "extra"? Who sets the standards? The customer? The Publisher? Well, if we blindly accept the Publisher, then expecting anything more than an opening crawl and a credits roll could be interpreted as "Entitled" too.
If we blindly accept the customer, then the game ought to not only include all the content, but be free of charge as well.

It's a revolving door of useless argumentation. Two sides screaming uselessly at each other over something that does not have a definitive "right" or "wrong" answer.

Hence, why using "entitlement" as an objective argument is absolute bullshit, and using it as a catty insult is nothing more than trolling.

I'm absolutely on the same page with you in regards to it being a useless argument. I have long advocated that those who don't like it should voice their complaints by not buying it and stop complaining, and those who do like it should buy it and enjoy in peace.

While I admire your ability to argue semantics, you are still arguing semantics. Until courts intervene to dictate otherwise, the publisher dictates the content. If they dictate content the customer dislikes, then their sales should plummet and they should rectify it back in line according to what customers will pay for. But they absolutely still dictate what it and isn't "the core game." Bioware says the character was developed as DLC; it is DLC. Until a law says otherwise, the content is not part of the core game.

Ergo, anyone who believes they are owed this content flagged as DLC without additional cost, is - by rights - acting out of entitlement. It's not bullshit, it's not a catty insult, it's simply what the hell it is: people saying something that costs money should be theirs without the additional cost.

This is clearly fake...

Geth do not infiltrate.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook