Mass Effect 3 Petition Raises Funds For Charity

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Outraged gamers are throwing some serious money at the Retake Mass Effect - Child's Play donation drive, a way to raise funds for charity while calling for a "better" ending to Mass Effect 3.

Let me be clear right from the get-go that I've just started playing Mass Effect 3, so I have no idea how it ends. But the howls of outrage are impossible to miss; for whatever reason, an awful lot of gamers seem mighty unhappy about the way the trilogy wraps up. For the most part it's just forum noise, but one fan decided to actually do something about it by launching Retake Mass Effect - Child's Play, a combination petition/donation drive which is equal parts silly and solid.

The silly side of the coin is what first leaps out at you: a "respectful request" for a better ending to Mass Effect 3. The petition acknowledges that "it is the right of the writers and developers of the Mass Effect series to end that series however they see fit," but then immediately criticizes them for not ending the series as the angry gamers see fit. It calls for a better explanation of events, "especially with regard to the planets, races, and companions detailed throughout the series," and "a heroic ending which provides a better sense of accomplishment."

"To this end, we donate to the 'Retake Mass Effect 3' Child's Play Charity drive in lieu of our signature to this petition, in order to establish our sincerity, our love for these games, and for the Mass Effect universe," the petition concludes. "We thank you for your consideration."

And that brings us to the solid. Roughly $33,000 has been raised for Child's Play so far, which is a hell of a pile of money for a very worthy cause. With the donation drive set to continue until April 11, it seems likely that pile will get a whole lot bigger before all this nonsense is over.

This puts me in a bit of a tricky spot. I want to point and laugh at the petition, but I also want to congratulate everyone involved for doing such a wonderful thing by literally putting their money where their mouths are. What am I supposed to do here? Am I really going to have to throw a thumbs-up at something so patently ridiculous?

I suppose I am. So congratulations and thank you to everyone who contributed [and contributes] to the cause. I think your demand for a Mass Effect 3 rewrite is beyond ludicrous, but your willingness to get behind it with something worthwhile is very admirable. More information about the Retake Mass Effect - Child's Play donation drive can be found on Facebook and the BioWare Social Network.

i've gotten 2 of thje 3 ending so far and i have to say i, to am, sadly disapointed in them. Not so much as HOW it ends, as to how they wrap it up. it's all left..

but kudos to those who donate to charity in the hope it will get us a..patch? DLC? something to add an aditional ending.

Andy... once you finish the game you will understand. I promise.

Im reminded of this Nerf Now comic. It says pretty much all i need to on this subject.

Though i have to give credence to how quickly the fans shifted from... uh... "Boycotting" ME3 for day 1 DLC to literally upending thier wallets and outright begging for a different ending.

Hell, I didn't even play the game and I was disappointed in the endings. They should start an "Occupy the Citadel" they worked well.

gigastar:
Im reminded of this Nerf Now comic. It says pretty much all i need to on this subject.

Though i have to give credence to how quickly the fans shifted from... uh... "Boycotting" ME3 for day 1 DLC to literally upending thier wallets and outright begging for a different ending.

I don't think the community is a hive-mind. While I am sure there is plenty of overlap its unfair to say the same people who swore off Bioware due to Day-One DLC are the same people who want a new ending for the game.

Thanks Andy for showing both sides of the argument and not completely taking one side over the other, this is how an article is written.

I won't spoil anything for you and I'll be the extremely vague with my words, my problem with the endings is that there are way too many plot holes and way too many inconsistencies with what has already been established in the ME universe, especially the DLC "Arrival".

Maybe a rewrite isn't the way to go but look at Fallout 3 with it's broken steal DLC, that changed the ending.
I'm sure Bioware will want to please both those liked it and those who didn't, either a work around or maybe an "alternate" ending.

Nonetheless the Charity itself is a great cause.

@gigastar
LOL, not saying they did but like the comic says if they planned it, they're marketing gurus.

Now I haven't even played it yet, and perhaps the ending is really terrible or whatever but isn't this a bit... unreasonable? I mean, it's not quite like the Fallout 3 ending which they basically just had to add a few more pieces of dialogue for letting other people enter the chamber o' death, it's like... the entire game supposedly leads up to the ending, doesn't it? Isn't basically everything that happens tied into the end of the game? Perhaps that's being overstated a bit but it doesn't seem like it'd be feasible to do that kind of work.

Once again, I haven't played it, so I don't know exactly how bad it is, but certainly it can't be so bad that people are asking this ridiculous amount of work for it.

cyber95:
Now I haven't even played it yet, and perhaps the ending is really terrible or whatever but isn't this a bit... unreasonable? I mean, it's not quite like the Fallout 3 ending which they basically just had to add a few more pieces of dialogue for letting other people enter the chamber o' death, it's like... the entire game supposedly leads up to the ending, doesn't it? Isn't basically everything that happens tied into the end of the game? Perhaps that's being overstated a bit but it doesn't seem like it'd be feasible to do that kind of work.

Once again, I haven't played it, so I don't know exactly how bad it is, but certainly it can't be so bad that people are asking this ridiculous amount of work for it.

The last 5 minutes come out of nowhere. You could literally change the last 5 minutes to anything else and it would have the same amount of logical build-up... that is to say, none. It wouldn't be quite as easy as Fallout 3, but it is certainly feasible and lacks any kind of concrete foreshadowing that you would need to worry about.

gigastar:

Here's the thing though. Even if the "true' ending becomes a paid DLC and everyone rushes to get it...that's only a short-term gain. Bioware's brand loyalty has been utterly shattered for a lot of people (including myself), and I know they're losing thousands of fans by the day.

I mean think of this. We were promised a game with a conclusive ending that would answer all our questions. We were promised this CONSTANTLY over the last year, from several different people. And you know what we got? We got an ending that not only doesn't make sense, but asks more questions than I started the game with.

And if the heavily supported "Indoctrination Theory" is right, that means Bioware willingly shipped a game without an ending. We paid for an ending, and they didn't give it to us. That's unacceptable.

Or people could have just paid attention and realized that the pre-launch news surrounding the game didn't bode well for the game itself, and waited to hear what everyone else said about it after the launch. If you bought the game and are unhappy with it, that's your own damn fault. I wanted it, I heard the news stories, I decided to wait, and now I'm laughing my ass off at all of you who thought you absolutely had to have it.

This from a guy who thought ME1 was the best thing ever, and once played ME2 all the way through 4 consecutive times before playing another game.

Andy Chalk:

I think your demand for a Mass Effect 3 rewrite is beyond ludicrous,

You admitted that you haven't finished the game, so you have no idea what the ending is. Seems like that would be relevant to how "ludicrous" this demand is.

Andy Chalk:
Outraged gamers are throwing some serious money at the Retake Mass Effect - Child's Play donation drive, a way to raise funds for charity while calling for a "better" ending to Mass Effect 3.

This is just a warning for you, expect flames from the Bioware forums.

They arent pleased.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Story-and-Campaign-Discussion-Spoilers-Allowed/Idiot-Contributor-to-Escapist-Magazine-Sneers-at-RetakeMassEffect-campaign-9933761-1.html

i personally am not asking for a complete rewrite just a "Where Are They Now" montage ending.

it wouldn't be difficult use some stock photos for the characters, bioware knows how to do that, add some music and a little blurb about if they are still screwed or not.

cyber95:
the entire game supposedly leads up to the ending, doesn't it? Isn't basically everything that happens tied into the end of the game?

No that's the point people are making, the entire game (and the entire first two aswell i might add) have absolutely nothing to do with the ending. Aswell as the fact there are plot holes and very obvious issues with established cannon.

I could describe the ending in great detail and it would spoil absolutely nothing else in the game because the end has no connection to the rest of the game.

Im not saying the ending is particularly bad, there have been worse endings to things but the thing that is annoying about it is that its in complete contrast to the entire design philospophy of the rest of the trilogy...

Im not saying it should be rewritten, im not even sure how they would do that but it was certainly disappointing anyway.

Although whilst playing the final part, i was thinking alot of the things mentioned in the Indoctrination Theory, so that could always clear some things up, although the lack of any closure still doesnt mean the ending suddenly stops being disappointing.

"Is this the only charity gamers have ever heard of?"
was my first thought after reading this. Then I thought: "Wait a minute, how expensive is it really to accomplish thier goal of giving video games to kids in hospitals?"

So I crunched some preliminary numbers. Bear in mind this is approximate, but it's still pretty telling.

If you add this $33,000 to the money Desertbus has raised over the years you arrive at a sum of $649,753.57. (that doesn't include desertbus 4 - I couldn't find the final tally for that year.)
Desertbus wiki Page

With that you can buy 1916 XBox 360 250G bundles(comes with Halo: Reach and Fable 3, a nice selection) at 338.98 Canadian (after tax).
XBox Bundle Link

Okay in Canada there are approximately 1365 hospitals total(this number was tough to arrive at I visited a bunch of sites which all varied until I settled on using this middle of the road answer as my approximation). We can assume that 10%(136) of those are for the elderly or otherwise do not admit children. We can also assume that 10%(136) of those( i think this is a high estimate, but whatever) are children's hospitals and so will have a greater need.

So we now have 1093 'normal' hospitals and 136 'Children's' hospitals. Lets buy the childrens hospitals all five bundles. They need it more. So we need 1093 consoles for the 'normal' hospitals and 680 consoles for the 'Children's' hospitals.

We need a total of 1773 consoles to give video games to every children's ward in all of Canada. Using ONLY the desertbus and this money we accomplish this goal and have 146 extra bundles. I suppose we could give them to the old people?

MATHEMATICAL!

"I broke my thumb on the donate button, but I think I made my point."

Andy Chalk:

Let me be clear right from the get-go that I've just started playing Mass Effect 3, so I have no idea how it ends. But the howls of outrage are impossible to miss; for whatever reason, an awful lot of gamers seem mighty unhappy about the way the trilogy wraps up. For the most part it's just forum noise, but one fan decided to actually do something about it by launching Retake Mass Effect - Child's Play, a combination petition/donation drive which is equal parts silly and solid.

The silly side of the coin is what first leaps out at you: a "respectful request" for a better ending to Mass Effect 3. The petition acknowledges that "it is the right of the writers and developers of the Mass Effect series to end that series however they see fit," but then immediately criticizes them for not ending the series as the angry gamers see fit. It calls for a better explanation of events, "especially with regard to the planets, races, and companions detailed throughout the series," and "a heroic ending which provides a better sense of accomplishment."

"To this end, we donate to the 'Retake Mass Effect 3' Child's Play Charity drive in lieu of our signature to this petition, in order to establish our sincerity, our love for these games, and for the Mass Effect universe," the petition concludes. "We thank you for your consideration."

And that brings us to the solid. Roughly $33,000 has been raised for Child's Play so far, which is a hell of a pile of money for a very worthy cause. With the donation drive set to continue until April 11, it seems likely that pile will get a whole lot bigger before all this nonsense is over.

This puts me in a bit of a tricky spot. I want to point and laugh at the petition, but I also want to congratulate everyone involved for doing such a wonderful thing by literally putting their money where their mouths are. What am I supposed to do here? Am I really going to have to throw a thumbs-up at something so patently ridiculous?

I suppose I am. So congratulations and thank you to everyone who contributed [and contributes] to the cause. I think your demand for a Mass Effect 3 rewrite is beyond ludicrous, but your willingness to get behind it with something worthwhile is very admirable. More information about the Retake Mass Effect - Child's Play donation drive can be found on Facebook and the BioWare Social Network.

TO quote someone who left a Facebook post: "You claim that it is beyond ridiculous and yet freely admit you have no clue what people are talking about and criticising because you haven't finished the game?

And yet you think you somehow have the right to laugh and make snide comments about the subject?

The subject as said you know nothing about?

Really?

Finish the game, then give us your honest opinion on everything.
If you STILL think the drive to change the ending at that point is "beyond ridiculous" then we will at least have some respect for you while we disagree.

Until then you really should have just stuck to the facts in reporting this instead of putting in your clueless opinion."

Okay, I'm agreeing with the idea that you can't really criticize the petition when you haven't even finished the game yet? I think it's a little unfair to call this ludicrous when you don't know why people are upset.

No offense and with all due respect, perhaps finishing the game and trying to understand where the fans are coming from first might make a better article, this just comes across like all these voices are being unreasonable. credit where credit is due for supporting the charity and respecting where the money is going, but insulting the purpose behind it is out of order.

Fappy:
I don't think the community is a hive-mind. While I am sure there is plenty of overlap its unfair to say the same people who swore off Bioware due to Day-One DLC are the same people who want a new ending for the game.

Yes, maybe.

Though i think it may be worth mentioning the masses could be convinced to think this way if enough of their friends or the people they follow all say the same thing.

But not me, im just an intense cynic.

JeanLuc761:
Here's the thing though. Even if the "true' ending becomes a paid DLC and everyone rushes to get it...that's only a short-term gain. Bioware's brand loyalty has been utterly shattered for a lot of people (including myself), and I know they're losing thousands of fans by the day.

Well, i just went to the Bioware forums. In one section of the Mass Effect 3 forums about 30% of the threads are to do with the ending. Some calling for calm, most doing the opposite and demanding either a refund or rewrite.

I mean think of this. We were promised a game with a conclusive ending that would answer all our questions. We were promised this CONSTANTLY over the last year, from several different people. And you know what we got? We got an ending that not only doesn't make sense, but asks more questions than I started the game with.

I cant really comment on the ending. I dont know what it is myself and my willingness to go look it up anywhere is riding equivalent to my willingness to buy the latest Call of Duty, or taking my own leg off with a hacksaw.

I may not know the cause, but i can damn well see the results.

And if the heavily supported "Indoctrination Theory" is right, that means Bioware willingly shipped a game without an ending. We paid for an ending, and they didn't give it to us. That's unacceptable.

Well, you didnt pay for an ending. You paid for a game. The fact that 3 of my local friends literally vanished into thier darkrooms for at least 30 hours each over the weekend indicates that you got just that.

Ive purposely tried to avoid using theese words but paying money for a whole product while the whole product works as intended by those who made it, then demanding changes because one or two parts of it were not good enough for you (or anyone else, stick with the singular example) smacks a little bit strongly of "being entitled".

If you aren't informed, maybe you should hold back writing an article until you are.

Anyone eles think they ripped the real ending out to sell to us as DLC?
What we got just seemed to full of inconsistencies to be the real end

gigastar:

Well, you didnt pay for an ending. You paid for a game. The fact that 3 of my local friends literally vanished into thier darkrooms for at least 30 hours each over the weekend indicates that you got just that.

Ive purposely tried to avoid using theese words but paying money for a whole product while the whole product works as intended by those who made it, then demanding changes because one or two parts of it were not good enough for you (or anyone else, stick with the singular example) smacks a little bit strongly of "being entitled".

I paid for a COMPLETE game. For it to be complete, it would need to have an ending. ESPECIALLY when Bioware promised us that the ending would be conclusive and wouldn't just be A, B, or C.

Know what we got? A non-conclusive ending that is A, B, or C. And even those are pretty much identical.

You know what I'm seeing a lot of lately?

"I haven't finished the game yet, but..."

"I'm not a fan of Mass Effect, but..."

"I only ever played five minutes of the original game, but..."

Why does anyone think they have a reason to speak out about something that they haven't even experienced for themselves? I get that everyone has an opinion, but come on... You're kinda writing off your own credibility here. The endings were bad. Not because of the reasons people give to quickly dismiss those who complain, e.g. "You're just mad Shepard dies", "What, you expected unicorns and rainbows?" etc...

The fact is the endings are bad because they're full of plot-holes and are altogether nonsensical. If you got through the game and like them, that's fine. But can we at least appreciate that people are upset enough to try and DO something about it, versus simply pissing into the wind?

I rarely see arguments between developers and fans go anywhere worthwhile. This "Child's Play" donation drive at the very least is bringing a little bit of good into a bad situation.

Yeah... no. The gamers' reaction to an objectively bad ending is not ridiculous.

Allow me to link another article, which goes in-depth into the issue of Mass Effect 3. Yes it includes spoilers.
http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

This new DLC pricing is ridiculous; 30 grand for a new ending?!

Personally, I'm going to spend my money making sure Aeris lives.

Seems we've reached bargaining in the Kübler-Ross Stages of Mass Effect 3.

Is anyone else reminded of Stephen King's Misery?

I could go on.

JeanLuc761:

gigastar:

I paid for a COMPLETE game. For it to be complete, it would need to have an ending. ESPECIALLY when Bioware promised us that the ending would be conclusive and wouldn't just be A, B, or C.

Know what we got? A non-conclusive ending that is A, B, or C. And even those are pretty much identical.

So youre blaming them because you believed what someone who ultimately works for EA said?

Its happened before with Command and Conquer 4, now its happening with Mass Effect 3. Learn from the past, know what to expect. To EA an 'ending' has to be something that can always be dragged out into another sequel.

McNinja:
TO quote someone who left a Facebook post: "You claim that it is beyond ridiculous and yet freely admit you have no clue what people are talking about and criticising because you haven't finished the game?

And yet you think you somehow have the right to laugh and make snide comments about the subject?

The subject as said you know nothing about?

Really?

Finish the game, then give us your honest opinion on everything.
If you STILL think the drive to change the ending at that point is "beyond ridiculous" then we will at least have some respect for you while we disagree.

Until then you really should have just stuck to the facts in reporting this instead of putting in your clueless opinion."

I have to agree with this, you want to criticize and make fun of those who are respectfully requesting a better ending, and you highlight some of the points they have on their page for what they want, but what of the widely agreed on points they make about why the ending was not what they had hoped for?

I agree with those points and from the look of most gaming forums, a hell of a lot of other people do too.

Also, you state you haven't finished the game, as other posters have said, finish it.

For the record, I like the idea of the ending, but the way it's presentation was disappointing.

gigastar:
So youre blaming them because you believed what someone who ultimately works for EA said?

Its happened before with Command and Conquer 4, now its happening with Mass Effect 3. Learn from the past, know what to expect. To EA an 'ending' has to be something that can always be dragged out into another sequel.

What you say there makes me have to ask, have you completed or seen the endings to Mass Effect 3?

Cause the argument that EA wants to drag it into a sequel is a redundant argument here.

I have played the game trough and I don't have problem with the ending. It just makes you wonder what what happens after that, but in a way it's fun. I have readed few scifi books and some of them had open ending that makes you think for yourself what happens next.

And this fund raising... I really laughed when I saw this first time. I'm sorry if you didn't like the ending but this is just sad in my opinion.

Pandabearparade:

Andy Chalk:

I think your demand for a Mass Effect 3 rewrite is beyond ludicrous,

You admitted that you haven't finished the game, so you have no idea what the ending is. Seems like that would be relevant to how "ludicrous" this demand is.

It's perfectly fair for someone to conceptually find a demand against a creative producer to change his or her creation as ludicrous without seeing said creation. This isn't a question of quality. The author is not saying "there's no way the ending is so bad that this would be called for." He is saying that "the idea of a bunch of people online demanding that something subjective should be changed to meet their personal requirements" is ridiculous. The actual content of what this group is claiming needs change is irrelevant. Who knows, the author might end up hating the ending more than anyone involved with the petition once he gets there, but I doubt it would ever change his stance on this point, and nor should it.

GamesB2:

gigastar:

What you say there makes me have to ask, have you completed or seen the endings to Mass Effect 3?

Cause the argument that EA wants to drag it into a sequel is a redundant argument here.

As i mentioned in an earlier post...

gigastar:
I cant really comment on the ending. I dont know what it is myself and my willingness to go look it up anywhere is riding equivalent to my willingness to buy the latest Call of Duty, or taking my own leg off with a hacksaw.

But knowing EA they will either DLC it away or more likely use it to make another game or seires of games that will explain away what happened if they dont change the actual ending.

Wharrgarble:
But can we at least appreciate that people are upset enough to try and DO something about it...?

...no. No I can't.

What kind of ridiculous mindset is that?

"This story didn't go the way I wanted it to go, I'm going to try and get it changed!"

When the hell has that ever happened in any other artistic medium? When? There are hundreds of books, movies, tv shows, anime, blah blah that all have undefined or bleak endings, and are lauded as some of the best those mediums have to offer. It is ludicrous and childish that video games seems to be an exception to that.

Maybe you didn't like the endings or felt they weren't complete or illogical or blah blah blah, you want to criticize them, go right ahead. In fact please do. Write a giant doctoral thesis on why you think the endings are objectively shit, but do not have the sheer hubris to think that you get to change another person's work of art.

Alright. That's all I got.

edit: actually...

Wharrgarble:
This "Child's Play" donation drive at the very least is bringing a little bit of good into a bad situation.

I'll happily agree on that.

gigastar:
But knowing EA they will either DLC it away or more likely use it to make another game or seires of games that will explain away what happened if they dont change the actual ending.

DLC it away? One can only hope, but it's damn unlikely.

Explain it away with sequels? Nope, the ending doesn't allow it. If any of this kind surfaced, it would be tragic in the same way as the Star Wars prequels.

Before assuming what EA is going to do with the series after it's conclusion, you may actually want to watch its conclusion?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here