The Baldur's Gate Countdown Begins!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The Baldur's Gate Countdown Begins!

A mysterious 24-hour countdown is now ticking away at the new Baldur's Gate website.

Nobody was quite sure what to make of it when a strange new Baldur's Gate website popped up back at the end of February. There was nothing to it but the famous Baldur's Gate skull, theme song and some words from the wise Alaundo about how the Lord of Murder shall perish and yadda yadda. But hidden in the page's source code were some rather more interesting messages.

"For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory" was one, instantly recognizable as the words of Joneleth Irenicus, bad guy numero uno of Baldur's Gate 2. "Love is a lie. Only hate endures" was in there was well, which according to the Forgotten Realms Wiki is part of the dogma of the goddess Shar, worshipped by Viconia DeVir. "If you wish me dead, brother, it must be by your hand. No one else" sounds very much like Sarevok, Bhaalspawn and chief troublemaker of the original Baldur's Gate, although nobody seems to have quite nailed that one down yet.

There were a few others as well, perhaps the most intriguing being an invitation to search for hints. "Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal," it said. "Perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all."

And all will soon be revealed, as a countdown is now ticking away at the site and has, at the time of writing, a little over 14 hours on the clock. What could it be? The leading theory, at least the last time I checked, points at an HD remake for tablets, but references to the game in the Steam registry led some people to conclude that a Steam release is imminent. That claim was quickly denied by Beamdog, a studio founded by BioWare veteran Trent Oster which is apparently somehow involved in all this. Beamdog, for the record, has previously ported the BioWare game MDK2 to the Wii; Oster was a modeller on the original Baldur's Gate.

I continue to believe that Baldur's Gate 3 is the only possible explanation and thus look forward to the wild paroxysms of joy that will inevitably begin at 3 pm EST, when the next chapter in the greatest Dungeons & Dragons CRPG of all time is announced to the world. It's going to be great, so don't miss the moment - join me in watching the clock tick down at baldursgate.com.

Thanks to LavaLampBamboo for the tip.

Odd, whenever I check the page's source info it doesn't say the quotes, but it does say

<!-- March 14, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- It is coming. -->

Ominous.

Hide the mistletoe! We're not taking any chances!

Yeah, to clarify, the messages have changed a few times since the site first went live. The ones I quoted have come and gone.

Andy Chalk:
I continue to believe that Baldur's Gate 3 is the only possible explanation and thus look forward to the wild paroxysms of joy that will inevitably begin at 3 pm EST

It damn well better be.

*countdown nearing 0*
Us: "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!"
"Announcing Baldurs Gate Collectors pack!!"
Us: "....."

I actually hope it's BG: Dark Alliance 3.

While I do love the classic series, the DA spin-offs were REALLY REALLY fun and I'd love to see another.

I really don't understand what htis is about anymore. I pretty much dismissed this at first, but then I saw the countdown and I do not know what to think.

Really I'm hoping for a Baldurs Gate 3, I don't really care about anything else.

Hopefully they might make it different but in a unique kind of way.
I'll think that I'll stay until it announces whatever comes.

Knight Templar:
I really don't understand what htis is about anymore. I pretty much dismissed this at first, but then I saw the countdown and I do not know what to think.

I see no countdown, but like you, I poo-pooed it initially.

I am trying to hold in my excitement.

If this turns out to be an ad for a Baldur's Gate themed clock, I'll be disappointed.

Not expecting a new game, since the game isn't on Beamdog, it'll probably be added there.

why,. baldurs gate had a decent enough ending, unlike the newest bioware child.

So they are setting out to ruin everything they made?

Waaghpowa:

Andy Chalk:
I continue to believe that Baldur's Gate 3 is the only possible explanation and thus look forward to the wild paroxysms of joy that will inevitably begin at 3 pm EST

It damn well better be.

*countdown nearing 0*
Us: "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!"
"Announcing Baldurs Gate Collectors pack!!"
Us: "....."

Pretty sure they already made those...seeing as how I have one...along with Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights...

You guys are all silly...we all know its a goofy facebook game...

Please be Baldur's Gate III, please be Baldur's Gate III, please be Baldur's Gate III. If it is Baldur's Gate III (and it damn well better be), I will probably squee for joy and orgasm on the spot.

Until then, I will be furiously masturbating to the thought of returning to Faerun in a new, top-down, old-school style strategy CRPG. Who is with me?

Butt-Kicking, for goodness!

I too hope its a new game and I get to personally contribute to the cannon of the realms by helping to reinstate Velsharoon.

It's obviously going to be a 5 hour long cover-based corridor shooter.

On a more serious note, if this is just BG1/2 on a brand new shining graphics engine I'd probably explode in a spectacular nerdgasm. Not so much if it's an HD rerelease for tablets though

FAR OUT, FAR OUT I WET MYSELF, THE 2nd BEST GAME OF MY LIFE HAS A COUNTDOWN CLOCK ON WEBSITE.....

Baldur's Gate II ended pretty decisively... I doubt it's a third game.

I wonder what this is all about... O_O

Yureina:

i am wondering the same.. how exactly do you make a 3rd game from that? new character? striped of powers?

nikki191:

Yureina:

i am wondering the same.. how exactly do you make a 3rd game from that? new character? striped of powers?

Well that would probably depend on Atari and how evil they are. Will they take the EA route and milk the living crap out of it regardless if it fits? I don't know how Atari compares to any of the other publishers since I don't hear much from them though it does confuse me why it took them so long to do anything with the Baldur's Gate IP. Seriously you would think they would have been using that one for years but nope nothing just GOG releases.

Baldur's Gate 2 sits forever attop my ''best games evah!'' list, wich is why i worry about number 3.

Just calling it baldur's gate 3 will not make it as good as baldur's gate 1 & 2. and it's so-called spiritual successor dragon age was pretty good but still a step down.

nikki191:

Yureina:

Two things:

1. While the site does seem to imply connection to the original games, it's important to note that "Baldur's Gate" was already the recipient of some unattached products using the name. The whole "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance" series (two games) which were decent Action-RPGs for their time given the limits on consoles.

Being the name of a city in The Forgotten Realms setting, they could technically justify anything set in the region being "Baldur's Gate"... but there would be no need to referance Alaundo and so on in connection to that I wouldn't think so it's unlikely that it will be an entirely new property/storyline that happens to use the name to bolster sales.

2. If they are going to be doing a liscenced D&D product understand that a LOT has changed in The Forgotten Realms since the time of 2nd Edition AD&D, which is what Baldur's Gate was based on. TWO editions of the game have come since then, and with each addition there were major changes to The Forgotten Realms. With 3rd Edition we pretty much had Faerun overrun by Shaughin, and Baldur's Gate got pretty much leveled with most of it's leadership being killed off if I remember. With 4th Edition another major cataclysm leveled the world to the point of it prett much going "dark" for all intents and purposes (long story). Along the way we've seen the entire magical cosmology re-arranged since the writers just can't bother to leave the Goddess Of Magic alone (she's been replaced again), and now in addition to a magical weave, there is a "Shadow Weave" being run by the Goddess Shar... and well, it gets bloody insane.

The thing is that within the context of Realmslore, and the way it's been connected to the old school Planescape setting, I can see a number of ways we could see the Bhaalspawn, even the dead ones, being returned and so on. Not to mention how with all of the changes to magic and celestrial rearrangements going on how we might see some kind of loophole creating more progeny of Bhaal despite his demise as he attempts to return himself to existance again (assuming he hasn't been brought back someplace... I haven't followed it too heavily, in which case all he needs to do is get randy again before someone knocks him off a second time... I mean this is The Forgotten Realms).

I am ready to pay with my soul for a new Baldur's Gate as good as Shadows of Amn!!!

If it is Baldurs Gate 3 it's better not reduced to Biowares dialoge wheels.

I'm hoping that this is something good like a high def update, with customisable character models.

Im one of the (I would think many) others who actually hasnt played BG 1&2. Don't get me wrong, RPG's are in my DNA and my favorites among them include Dragon Age: Origins and I knew it was the spiritual successor so I'll have to admit, Im excited as well.

well given that they screwed up the setting with the new edition what harm could this do

Jaeke:
Im one of the (I would think many) others who actually hasnt played BG 1&2. Don't get me wrong, RPG's are in my DNA and my favorites among them include Dragon Age: Origins and I knew it was the spiritual successor so I'll have to admit, Im excited as well.

Paradox detected; cant say you have RPGs in your DNA if you've never played BG 1&2. I advise you go to gog.com now and get at least BG2, its cheap and you wont regret it.

Whether this new game is an HD re-release, a shine & polish or a whole new game, I think Ill be happy. I sunk so many hours into BG2 in particular and I have a general love for the series as a whole - bring on the miniature giant space hamsters.

Fasckira:

Jaeke:

Paradox detected; cant say you have RPGs in your DNA if you've never played BG 1&2. I advise you go to gog.com now and get at least BG2, its cheap and you wont regret it.

Whether this new game is an HD re-release, a shine & polish or a whole new game, I think Ill be happy. I sunk so many hours into BG2 in particular and I have a general love for the series as a whole - bring on the miniature giant space hamsters.

I bet he hasn't played Fallout 1&2 either ! Damn youngsters! -Shakes cane-

OT: I can't see the clock?

I continue to believe that Baldur's Gate's HD super DLC edition is the only possible explanation and thus look forward to the wild screams of incoherent rage that will inevitably begin at 3 pm EST, when the money-grubbing HD re-release of the greatest Dungeons & Dragons CRPG of all time is announced to the world

Fixed that for you.

Realitycrash:
I bet he hasn't played Fallout 1&2 either ! Damn youngsters! -Shakes cane-

*grumbles in unison and leaves to collect his pension*

Also, FYI, if you're doing a gog.com shop then add Arcanum to that list...

After all the hype if its anything less than BG3, old school over the top, party based RPG...

There will be rage.

A tidal wave of rage sweeping away all those who raised hopes...

I think I'd pass on BG3 but lord knows I'd kill for a HD makeover for the first two. Maybe they could slap them both together ala the Tutu mod. All I know if it's something like a Facebook game or some such thing I say we riot!

That music...stirs up so many memories...

I really do not want to be messed around by this, so here's hoping we get something both tangible and 100% awesome.

I really hope it's a Baldur's Gate 3 but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'm not getting myself all worked up and then spending the rest of the day crying when they announce Baldur's Gate Facebook Edition.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here