Infamous PS3 Hacker, Geohot, Arrested (For Marijuana)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I dont really have any sympathy for this guy, so yeah. but I dont think he'll go through texas again.

LOL!

Can't say that I'm totally surprised by this, and of all the things he could've gotten nailed for, it was the sweet leaf.

I wonder if he owns a map because he seriously should've known better since he was clearly not in California anymore.

Finally Texas does something with the law worthy of praise. Is it too late to repeal the death sentence for the mentally handicapped? Darn. Let's see how he hacks his way out of a night in the pokey with Jim-Billy Jones, serial molester.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
LOL!

Can't say that I'm totally surprised by this, and of all the things he could've gotten nailed for, it was the sweet leaf.

I wonder if he owns a map because he seriously should've known better since he was clearly not in California anymore.

Most white kids don't expect their cars to be searched, especially not by dogs I've driven through states with more then that, with no worries. He was quite possibly in one of the worst areas in the country for this to happen in =/

I can't really remember this Geohot guy, but I'm sorry he got tripped up by those annoying social conservatives.

Geohot? More like GeoHotBox am I right?

Buretsu:
Geohot? More like GeoHotBox am I right?

I C WHAT U DID THERE!

The American legal system is ridiculous. I can easily see that even if you have a licence, you shouldn't take weed across national borders. But to be able to arrest people between state lines just seems silly to me.

Tohuvabohu:
I don't particularly like this guy, but c'mon. After all the shit this guy goes through, he gets busted for smoking them tweeds?

That sucks. For once, I'm on his side.

Yeah, after not getting busted for stuff that has been determined legal and likely would have been upheld in courts, he got busted for something considered illegal where he was. WHAT A SHOCKING TWIST!

...I'm sorry, what? Dude didn't get nailed on things that he should have been able to argue before a judge, and got busted for taking an illegal substance into another state. Even if you support legalised marijuana (and I do), that was FREAKING STUPID of him.

Richard Allen:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
LOL!

Most white kids don't expect their cars to be searched, especially not by dogs I've driven through states with more then that, with no worries. He was quite possibly in one of the worst areas in the country for this to happen in =/

So has my friend, and when I told him this story he laughed hysterically.

Yeah, he really was not in a place where he should be carrying that. Since I don't smoke and not a big fan of him I find all this rather amusing.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Richard Allen:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
LOL!

Yeah, he really was not in a place where he should be carrying that. Since I don't smoke and not a big fan of him I find all this rather amusing.

It's all fun and games until you get arrested for a DUI cause you have a closed container in your back seat... stupid laws like this can screw anyone over, not just potheads, remember that =P

Richard Allen:

Das Boot:

Mike Kayatta:
. Now, after all of that, he may become a felon for storing a legally-obtained chocolate ball made with $15 worth of weed in his glove box. Go figure.

How convenient that you seem to be forgetting about the other 1/4 oz of pot that he was caught with. Plus you have to consider that they use the street value of the drugs taken and not the amount that medical clinics charge for it.

Because the difference between $15 dollars and maybe $150 (if prices are high in your area) is huge.... it just happens that he got caught in a crappy state. In Ny this wouldn't even be a misdemeanor, it would be a civil citation and fine of about $100.

Congratulations for completely missing the point of what I was saying.

Mike Kayatta:

Richard Allen:

Mike Kayatta:

You think so? I thought it was rather doobieous.

This chain is rather spliffy? I know it was terrible but you guys are awesome.

I'm glad we could all come together for some joint observations on this matter.

Seems to me the police in texas made a bit of a HASH of this, especially when it comes to weighing the whole bar and putting a street value on it, man if dealer did pot choclate that would be the munchies sorted out :)

That's what you get for accepting a job at Facebook.

Integrity is an alien concept these days.

Weed must be really expensive in Texas, $800 for 1/4? That's worth about 40 in the UK.

Richard Allen:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Richard Allen:

It's all fun and games until you get arrested for a DUI cause you have a closed container in your back seat... stupid laws like this can screw anyone over, not just potheads, remember that =P

I don't know what that has to do with what I said, but all I'm saying in regards to him, he should've known better. And I find it funny that he got busted, of all things he could've gotten arrested for, for carrying pot in a state that hasn't legalized it.

Das Boot:

Richard Allen:

Das Boot:

How convenient that you seem to be forgetting about the other 1/4 oz of pot that he was caught with. Plus you have to consider that they use the street value of the drugs taken and not the amount that medical clinics charge for it.

Because the difference between $15 dollars and maybe $150 (if prices are high in your area) is huge.... it just happens that he got caught in a crappy state. In Ny this wouldn't even be a misdemeanor, it would be a civil citation and fine of about $100.

Congratulations for completely missing the point of what I was saying.

Well congrats on not demonstrating your point clearly and still not clarifying. A 1/4 ounce of pot is worth maybe $120 in a high priced area so like I said, your talking a negligible difference in value. He is complaining because they are weighing the chocolate as if it should be included in determining how illegal this is... It's like weighing a truck filled with cocaine to determine the street value. "Oh you mean I have $100 billion dollars in weight on this one truck?"

razer17:
The American legal system is ridiculous. I can easily see that even if you have a licence, you shouldn't take weed across national borders. But to be able to arrest people between state lines just seems silly to me.

He wasn't between state lines. He was in Texas he has a permit for medical marijuana in California. There are 2 states between those so its quite a distance to be taking it anyway

Krion_Vark:

razer17:

He wasn't between state lines. He was in Texas he has a permit for medical marijuana in California. There are 2 states between those so its quite a distance to be taking it anyway

Okay, so he crossed a couple of state lines. My point was that having seperate laws for different states seems stupid.

Mike Kayatta:

Richard Allen:

Mike Kayatta:

This chain is rather spliffy? I know it was terrible but you guys are awesome.

I'm glad we could all come together for some joint observations on this matter.

Dear God...
Pun..
Overload
mind..

But seriously, of all the things he gets busted for...

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Richard Allen:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

I don't know what that has to do with what I said, but all I'm saying in regards to him, he should've known better. And I find it funny that he got busted, of all things he could've gotten arrested for, for carrying pot in a state that hasn't legalized it.

It wasn't clear, I know a friend who was busted for DUI because he had a closed but not sealed container in his back seat. He blew a 0.0 in the prison but was still arrested for DUI which would not have been an issue with his local laws.

Tl;DR IT sucks that local laws are so vastly different at times, one thing that is a very minor offense can be a huge deal in the town nextdoor.

Richard Allen:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Richard Allen:

It wasn't clear, I know a friend who was busted for DUI because he had a closed but not sealed container in his back seat. He blew a 0.0 in the prison but was still arrested for DUI which would not have been an issue with his local laws.

Tl;DR IT sucks that local laws are so vastly different at times, one thing that is a very minor offense can be a huge deal in the town nextdoor.

I know that, and also that bit because it's the same law that's over here and it's just something that you get used to. It's not completely fair, but it's better to assume that other states have strict laws towards DUI than loose ones when visiting.

The man famous for his crack just became a felon for his pot.

God damn it Mike. Haha.

Pretty funny to see this guy sticking it to Sony and then getting arrested for marijuana though. In Cali of all places.

Silly. He should have got the local hookup. Bad move bro.

Beat a big as corporation with boatloads of cash and lawyers in court. Get 5+ years in jail due to possession of an illegal substance cause some backwater sheriff busted your ass.

Think karma came around and said you're lucks been running to good lately, lol.

Excuse me a moment...

AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Okay, I'm good now. Does this mean his ass is grass?

DVS BSTrD:

Mike Kayatta:

DVS BSTrD:
That's putting it rather bluntly don't you think?

Seems like a rather toaken pun to me.

Weed better stop with these jokes before they get out of hand.

Who cares.

Seriously the US wonders why they're so much in dept it's because of stupid things like this that's a waste of taxpayer money. Way to feed the lawyers. In Canada the cop wouldn't even of cared, hell cigaret smoke is more harmful and addictive than Marijuana.

Otaku World Order:
Excuse me a moment...

DVS BSTrD:

Mike Kayatta:

Yeah there's no need to drag this out.

thomaskattus:
Ah Texas and their backward laws. The fact that cannabis is still illegal in the 21st century is a fracking travesty. Good waste of taxpayer money right there. Now maybe that sherrif can go bust some real criminals.

Couldn't agree more. I've never understood it being illegal in the first place.

DVS BSTrD:

Otaku World Order:
Excuse me a moment...

DVS BSTrD:

All these comments are HIGHly appreciated by the community.

Also: what a tragedy.

disgruntledgamer:
Who cares.

Seriously the US wonders why they're so much in dept it's because of stupid things like this that's a waste of taxpayer money. Way to feed the lawyers. In Canada the cop wouldn't even of cared, hell cigaret smoke is more harmful and addictive than Marijuana.

They made at $1,500 on his bail, and he'll probably have to pay a large fine later. This was for an hour's worth of work; tops.

How is this wasting money again? Because it sounds like they're making money. Cops don't stop getting paid if there isn't anything major going on, yanno.

Can we shut up about this guy yet?

Yes it was foolish that he carried his medical marijuana through a state that didn't recognize, but lets be honest here I'm of the opinion that no one should face any sort of criminal penalties for possession and use of any substance in and of itself and thus all drugs should be legalized and regulated. Studies show this is by far the best way to handle the drug "problem".

I hope he can contact NORML for help with his defense as obviously law enforcement corruption is already poking its nose around simply by the assertion that the entire weight of the confection be used for the judgment - of course the corrupt law enforcement down there wants to get a pat on the back and next year's "war on drugs" bonus by citing that they kid had $800 worth of weed on him instead of what amounts to a single joint. I hope his defense also brings up the many studies that show that drug dogs are basically completely inaccurate - they respond to the subtle commands of the handler, which are then used as right to search. Of course they're going to be able to find more dope because if the dog "signals" they're only going to "count" the time he finds anything as sadly in so many jurisdictions it has been proven that if you are searched because of a K9's "indication" and found to not be in possession of anything, not only is it not recorded, you can't sue for wrongful search thanks to corrupt court cases. Testing has proven that the dogs are not able to detect accurately enough to be used as automatic warrants - info can be found at " http://blog.norml.org/2011/02/04/drug-dogs-false-alert-over-200-times-in-uc-davis-study/ " .

Hotz is not known for being the best posterboy for the hacking community in terms of his maturity, but regardless of that he's still a human being and shouldn't be legally judged for anything he chooses to put into his body.

Zulnam:

DVS BSTrD:

Otaku World Order:
Excuse me a moment...

All these comments are HIGHly appreciated by the community.

Also: what a tragedy.

Another impeccable addition to the CHRONICles of Geohot. Evade a multi-billion dollar electronics giant, only to get caught in a sticky situation with local law enforcement. How deliciously tragic. But seriously, this story isn't really anything newsworthy. Why don't we just leave the man in peace and bud out of his life for a change?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here