Infamous PS3 Hacker, Geohot, Arrested (For Marijuana)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

nackertash:
I hope he goes to jail my cousin overdosed on marijuana

Read this. Please.

Truth > Anecdotes/Hearsay

No offense, but the guy, from what I remember of him, seems like a sniveling little bitch who apparently think he's big because he can win over Internet support because he's good with electronics, but the minute he realizes that the big companies are serious about suing his ass for ILLEGALLY VIOLATING STATED COPYRIGHT LAWS, he fkees even after people are willing to help fight his (tbh, futile) case in court.

The fact that he went down like this is just hilariously sad, but he gets no sympathies from me. I respect the guy for managing to crack the security on the PS3 and the iPhone, but that doesn't mean I'm lining up to join the blind bandwagon here; he's definitely let the fame get to his head.

Mr.Tea:

nackertash:

Read this. Please.

Okay, I'm on your side, but Truth > Anectodes/Hearsay > Wikipedia

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Marijuana is on the level of beer, or perhaps even less harmful, and yet it's a criminal offense that can send you to prison? If that's the case, why doesn't getting drunk send you to prison to? Why can't people get their heads out of their asses and change the way the legal system works? Yes, I know that prisons are a booming industry and that THEY want marijuana to be illegal so they can keep growing, but that's wrong. Is it moral to send people to prison over something equivalent to alcohol? I don't think so.

Andy of Comix Inc:

Mr.Tea:

nackertash:

Read this. Please.

Also, why? Because Wikipedia can be edited by people? That's idiotic. Wikipedia is a global encyclopedia with most of its facts backed by SOURCES. Wikipedia is above Hearsay and Anecdotes.

I thought less than an ounce was considered a misdemeanor. Why is he being charged with a felony? Also, the cop weighing the whole amount of chocolate and labeling that as the weight of the pot in the chocolate is ludicrous.

Andy of Comix Inc:

Mr.Tea:

nackertash:

Read this. Please.

Wikipedia has gotten better. Just check the citations.

Lol. Silly Pot heads. If a "drive to pay his charges" appears I will be truly done with this site.

Wow, just learned many new names for marijuana.

Mike Kayatta:
The man famous for his crack just became a felon for his pot.

[...]

While the outcome of that debate is still hazy, we do know Geohot was placed in jail on felony charges, then subsequently released on a $1,500 bail.

So he hasn't been convicted of any crime and you label him a felon in your opening line?

Stay classy, land of freedom.

"The man famous for his crack just became a felon for his pot." oh Escapist.

This is kind of funny, whats next for this guy.

KeyMaster45:
Alright, raise your hand if you're surprised this guy did weed? Don't be shy we know you're out there.

/me raises hand
i assumed a person smart enough to crach palystations and iphones were... well... smart. i was wrong.

Sovvolf:

nackertash:

Plenty of people kill themselves or others a year simply driving, should we arrest anyone who gets behind a wheel?

yes, and while were at it we should also ban knives because people may stab others.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Tl;DR IT sucks that local laws are so vastly different at times, one thing that is a very minor offense can be a huge deal in the town nextdoor.

I know that, and also that bit because it's the same law that's over here and it's just something that you get used to. It's not completely fair, but it's better to assume that other states have strict laws towards DUI than loose ones when visiting.[/quote]
Or, its better to, for example, not driver around with a beer can?

esperandote:
Counting the weight of the chocolate as weed weight is a dick move. I'm more interested in knowing why he left Facebook.

If you get busted by the DEA with plants they weigh the plant with the surrounding dirt that the roots were located in. And the whole plant itself instead of just the buds. So one plant can make it seem like you were stockpiling 30lbs of weed in your house, in the newspaper.

Mike Kayatta:

Richard Allen:

Mike Kayatta:

You think so? I thought it was rather doobieous.

This chain is rather spliffy? I know it was terrible but you guys are awesome.

I'm glad we could all come together for some joint observations on this matter.

ganja please stop it with the pot jokes?
OT
kinda stupid he got caught for pot. You would think he would be smart enough to hide his pot when he crossed the state line.

nackertash:

unless your cousin smoked literary a ton of pot you can,t overdose on it.

Silencer_NMA:

WanderingFool:
he gets throne in jail...

It's better to rule in jail, than serve a sentence.

What?

RaikuFA:
So Texas' Judicial system will be going down for a month over this arrest now?

That'd be a teensy bit funny...

I dont think Anonymous would be able to take down the Texas' Judicial system... There have to be computers envolved in the system to begin with.

I want some chocolate weed.

But seriously, who cares about Geohot anymore. Charge him and be done with it.

CapitalistPig:

esperandote:
Counting the weight of the chocolate as weed weight is a dick move. I'm more interested in knowing why he left Facebook.

If you get busted by the DEA with plants they weigh the plant with the surrounding dirt that the roots were located in. And the whole plant itself instead of just the buds. So one plant can make it seem like you were stockpiling 30lbs of weed in your house, in the newspaper.

Law enforcement does that to look good to the press and their bosses and also technically the public. Spendin several thousand dollars (random made up number) on a raid doesn't sound worth it unless they seize hundreds of pounds of marijuana.

Tohuvabohu:
I don't particularly like this guy, but c'mon. After all the shit this guy goes through, he gets busted for smoking them tweeds?

That sucks. For once, I'm on his side.

Yeah, especially when you consider that it was legal for him to have it where he got it.

The state laws in America seem really strange.

I donno I always thought Haxors were all clear minded, rational people; that they would NEVER even think about getting high...

Why is this news on the escapist?

Fappy:
Lol. The sad part is people are probably going to give him support simply because of who he is.

I support the "who he is": a person with extraordinary talent. What I don't support is the "what he does": wasting said talent in a childish and pointlessly unproductive manner.

I hate seeing wasted potential, I really do.

Fappy:
Lol. The sad part is people are probably going to give him support simply because of who he is.

Or we'll support him because no one should get in trouble for pot, especially 1/4 baggy. Seriously, that's personal use right there and should not be a felony.

Grenge Di Origin:

I support the "who he is": a person with extraordinary talent. What I don't support is the "what he does": wasting said talent in a childish and pointlessly unproductive manner.

I hate seeing wasted potential, I really do.

As for you, the fact that you assume that having fun with substances is "childish and unproductive" is kinda silly. There is no reason to assume that he uses marijuana in a way that is different than most people use beer. You can abuse pot and alcohol, but to make the kind of claim that because he uses weed (or drank) on occasion he is being "unproductive" is uncalled for.
Hell, so many things are objectively "unproductive" such as watching TV or browsing the Internet that you really can't turn "unproductive" into a moral condemnation.

The prick got what he deserved. He should've gotten arrested a long time ago, I'm all for the asshole getting busted with marijuana.

rapidoud:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
YOU FOOL! YOU FOOLISH FOOL OF A FOOLISH TOOK! YOU FOOL OF A FOOLISH FOOL OF A FOOLISH TOOK! Pot in texas? WE EXECUTE FOR THAT HERE! Or we want to... I realize its boring as fuck here but get a gameboy or something. You won't get shot for that... Well you might but not by the cops. Well a gameboy could be mistaken for a gun in this state... Just stay out of this state. It is safer that way.

Wait... America has the death sentence?

I just died a little inside.

A lot of it does. Though for the most part we just jail drug "abusers" for life. But hey that's what happens when we get private prisons run for profit.

He took a risk driving with the marijuana in a non-medical recognizing state and having it in the glove-box. Was this some kind of checkpoint or was he stopped for some other reason?]

Really sucks, and its something that shouldn't be illegal in our country.

Why am I not surprised at all by this news...

Strazdas:

KeyMaster45:
Alright, raise your hand if you're surprised this guy did weed? Don't be shy we know you're out there.

/me raises hand
i assumed a person smart enough to crach palystations and iphones were... well... smart. i was wrong.

Some of the most intelligent people have used drugs:
http://io9.com/5876304/10-scientific-and-technological-visionaries-who-experimented-with-drugs

On this list are:
Steve Jobs
Bill Gates
Carl Sagan (habitual pot smoker)
Thomas Edison

And this list is incomplete. There's a whole helluva lot more people smoking up and accomplishing great things.

Legendsmith:

Tohuvabohu:
I don't particularly like this guy, but c'mon. After all the shit this guy goes through, he gets busted for smoking them tweeds?

That sucks. For once, I'm on his side.

Yeah, especially when you consider that it was legal for him to have it where he got it.

The state laws in America seem really strange.

States determine what is legal or not. Things that can be banned include:

Guns.
Fireworks.
Pot.
generally, anything that can harm the environment like GM animals (ex. glow-in-the-dark fish), and certain plants are illegal to ship to California due to strict environmental laws.

There is a very small amount of topics to look for when traveling, and its common knowledge. There is NO WAY anyone who lived in America more than 5 seconds could not know this. Medical pot is something very few states allow, and has many limitations. A user would know this. The only way he could not know this is either:

A) He cheated the system, got the prescription, and disregarded all else.
B) He is an idiot.

Possibly both. California doesn't tend to fuck around on this, and are very clear when it comes to medical pot. Not knowing this is like not knowing sticking your dick is a toaster is a bad idea.

DVS BSTrD:

Mike Kayatta:

DVS BSTrD:
That's putting it rather bluntly don't you think?

You think so? I thought it was rather doobieous.

Seems like a rather toaken pun to me.

He's just lucky he doesn't have to spend more time in the joint.

Seriously tho I can't believe they were able to get away with saying a brownie is 800 dollars.
Also he had under 100 dollars worth total for anyone whos curious how much it's worth (unless texas prices are ridiculously higher than arizona's)

shintakie10:

CapitalistPig:

esperandote:

Law enforcement does that to look good to the press and their bosses and also technically the public. Spendin several thousand dollars (random made up number) on a raid doesn't sound worth it unless they seize hundreds of pounds of marijuana.

Ever been to a distribution center? its like a candy store for cops. And the DEA doesn't really have to answer to the public otherwise they wouldnt do it. The reality is distribution centers are shut down every day and they make tons of money doing it. I'm not saying its justified im just telling you how the world we live in works.

By the time this goes to trial it will be a misdemeanor offense. I have some experience with Texas marijuana law and if he has any sort of lawyer and he had less than an ounce of actual pot it won't be considered a felony. That's the point where it becomes a felony in this state because then it is considered intent to distribute.

I used to think an ounce was too low a cutoff but now that I think about it all of my friends who have had an ounce at a time at any point have been dealers or runners, so not I think its pretty fair.

In any event, if he actually had less than a half ounce, while he will serve time considering it is west Texas, he will not have a felony conviction.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here