BioWare "Considering" Calls for New Mass Effect 3 Ending

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

BioWare "Considering" Calls for New Mass Effect 3 Ending

As the furor over Mass Effect 3 continues to roil, BioWare says it hasn't actually closed the door on the possibility of changing the ending.

It's not easy to avoid Mass Effect 3 endgame spoilers because that seems to be the only thing anyone wants to talk about: How an otherwise excellent game crashes and burns in spectacular fashion in the last ten, grossly unsatisfying minutes. The ending is apparently so bad that it's transcended the usual internet petitions and led some aggrieved gamers to actually urge an FTC complaint against BioWare for false advertising.

BioWare hasn't yet commented on that rather extreme course of action but it has now indicated that it's open to the idea of changing the ending, or, more precisely, that it's not flat-out refusing to do so despite previously suggesting that such a move wasn't in the cards. "We are aware that there are concerns about a recent post from this account regarding the ending of the game. In this post it was stated that at this time we do not have plans to change the ending," the studio wrote on the Mass Effect Facebook page.

"We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out. At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending," it continued. "Your feedback and opinions are of the utmost importance to us. We apologize for any confusion this has caused. Our top priority regarding this discussion is to keep communication with you, our loyal fans, open and productive."

I'm down with the idea of open and productive communication with fans [although runaway incivility rarely seems far behind] but I still think the idea of demanding a new and "better" ending is ludicrous. I don't really have a stake in either side of this debate, although I think it's absolutely fantastic that the Retake Mass Effect - Child's Play donation drive has so far raised over $67,000, but you don't paint a new smile on the Mona Lisa just because the original's a bit flat.

Good thing I didn't pay for the Mona Lisa :P

I'm still a firm believer of the indoctrination theory.

If Bioware manage to pull off what I think they're pulling off, it will be awesome.

Don't let empty PR bullshit like this influence you. Nothing was actually said. If you let the storm die down now they won't do a damn thing.

Daystar Clarion:

If Bioware manage to pull off what I think they're pulling off, it will be awesome.

I think it would be silly for them not to run with it honestly. Most the work is done for them.

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:

I think it would be silly for them not to run with it honestly. Most the work is done for them.

Exactly. If that wasn't their idea to begin with, they'd be foolish not to follow up on it and claim that it was always the case.

Oh I am sure EA will be happy to sell you a alternative ending DLC pack...

For only you too can have a happy ending, and so can Sheppard *big toothy grin*.

Meh, I want royalties if someone uses that line in an advert.

Nothing will ever get changed for the better if people are silent about the quality of the games they play, especially if it's the negative bit that's being silent.

And I call 90 different kinds of bullshit on the "your opinion is inportent too us habeeb it!" line. These people, right after the raging success of Dragon Age 2, decided to cheap out on the single most important aspect of their most treasured franchise.

Daystar Clarion:

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:

Exactly. If that wasn't their idea to begin with, they'd be foolish not to follow up on it and claim that it was always the case.

I have never seen a more compelling conspiracy theory in fiction before. There is so much evidence! :O

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:

Of course, if they do run with it, prepare for a new firestorm of ME3 threads, this time with people gloating and calling all the haters of the original ending and/or indoctrination theory 'indoctrinated'. I'm all for them running with it, but I don't look forward to the Gaming Discussion forum being jammed up by ME3 threads for another month if this comes to pass.

After checking out the endings I doubt I will even but ME3 used with or without a new ending.

*spoilers*

I thought, nay prayed the ending wasn't as terrible as I heard it was.

Unfortunatly, it was. Instead of feeling triumphant, I was instead wondering what the fuck Bioware had been smoking, and how they could miss this bad.

I'm not demanding Shepard be on the beach with Liara in bikini's (though god knows that would be awesome!) but even if it was just Reapers/Shepard dead, but now civilizations can rebuild for the future would have been good.

Melon Hunter:

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:

Of course, if they do run with it, prepare for a new firestorm of ME3 threads, this time with people gloating and calling all the haters of the original ending and/or indoctrination theory 'indoctrinated'. I'm all for them running with it, but I don't look forward to the Gaming Discussion forum being jammed up by ME3 threads for another month if this comes to pass.

Look at it this way: If you are among those that prefer a new ending and like the indoctrination theory being implemented in some way you'll probably spend less time on the forums and more time playing the game :D

Bit by bit I wonder if Bioware even cares or realizes what they are doing anymore.

Ah well no point complaining when I dont have to buy their shit anymore.
Just a shame since Bioware was what got me into RPGs in the first place.

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:

Fappy:

I have never seen a more compelling conspiracy theory in fiction before. There is so much evidence! :O

Yeah, I think there's too much evidence for it to be just speculation.

I just want to some damn closure, I don't care if Shepard has to die for it.

Daystar Clarion:

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:

Yeah, I think there's too much evidence for it to be just speculation.

I just want to some damn closure, I don't care if Shepard has to die for it.

Same, though it this point I have already head-cannoned so much it would be weird taking in new information, especially considering at least one of my six Shepards actually survives. >.>

I'm not sure the Mona Lisa metaphor quite fits.
And Fappy had a point about not actually having paid for the painting.

Anyway. This is actually all I wanted. I'd like to see a new, better-written ending, but the fact that they're even just considering it based on feedback is completely satisfactory for me.

Daystar Clarion:

Hope springs eternal, eh?

Y'know, I almost envy you.

What they say:

"We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out. At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending," it continued. "Your feedback and opinions are of the utmost importance to us. We apologize for any confusion this has caused. Our top priority regarding this discussion is to keep communication with you, our loyal fans, open and productive."

*sigh* People really should learn to not pre order or buy day one. If you think you might be the type to get personally offended by something you disagree with, then wait for everyone else to spend their money first. Then you could simply not buy it or at least get it cheaper.

but you don't paint a new smile on the Mona Lisa just because the original's a bit flat.

That actually sounds like a great idea to me.

Y'know, I'd respect them a lot more if they dropped the condescending PR-speech for a change.

It's a wee bit insulting.

Zhukov:

Daystar Clarion:

Hope springs eternal, eh?

Y'know, I almost envy you.

Hope is all I have.

Well, that and a bottle of Jack.

I wouldn't be against either a full on change or just a closure added extension of what is already there. I love the game and had a great experience with it that I'm still enjoying thanks to a second playthrough and the exceptional multiplayer.

Either way, though, I'm actually almost more interested at this point in finding out what Bioware does end up doing. Given their response so far, it seems almost guaranteed that they will change the way the game ends. If not, I'd imagine they just would have gone "Sorry, it's done, like it or lump it" but they very clearly have not. It just raises some very interesting questions about art.

Sure the Mona Lisa wasn't changed, but the Mona Lisa also wasn't a piece of interactive art/entertainment. The Mona Lisa also wasn't built upon player interaction both in the nature or gameplay but also in the nature of story guidance and choice making. I will never ever argue that the view of the player is more important than the view of the creator in terms of setting out what the final vision of the piece is. That, however, doesn't mean that the creator can't listen to the player and perhaps reconsider their work. Even in the case of Da Vinci, some of his own art was based on what he himself considered to be better versions of what others did. Who's to say he wouldn't have changed the Mona Lisa had he lived in our times and had the ability to do so. And yet, he wouldn't be wrong either way.

I'm fine with the ending I got, granted there's some questions unanswered for me, but it was good enough for my experience with it

Andy Chalk:
...but you don't paint a new smile on the Mona Lisa just because the original's a bit flat.

The Mona Lisa wasn't supposed to give you one of sixteen radically different smiles depending on the angle from which you viewed it, though.

The FTC thing is a bit much; let's see if they definitely close the door on an alternate ending before we get that nuts. If they do fix the ending, I'll happily let them off the hook. And hey, the four or five people who don't want a new ending don't have to download it. So everybody's happy.

I still get depressed if I play me3, the only thing that will change that is a different ending

It's cute that Bioware calls their fan base "Loyal" when they already have a lawsuit in the works.

Bioware is really good at offering player choice and then retroactively changing all your choices or just contriving some reason to make them not matter.

I'm firmly on the side of them needing to change the ending, because that was not wroth 150 hours of my life. (and it's actually way more because I have 7 Shepards)

Andy,
it is really not a question of artistic integrity. You are well off the mark.
I said one or two things about it (Shameless plug):
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.354624-All-this-talk-about-artistic-integrity#14083908

And also Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/03/16/why-the-mass-effect-3-protests-are-good-for-video-games/

Basically, in reality companies are actively changing and adding to games all the time (specially in the era of DLC). And a lot of those times responding to fan feedback (see Lair of the Shadow Broker).

If you work with interactive media you have to understand that, otherwise you are selling short the medium.

Also, although full with artistic assets, the game itself is a commodity, a product that the developer specifically said that "would answer all questions" and "Would not have an ending in which you would have to chose between A, B or C options"

I'm up for them changing the ending. For me it doesn't seem at all different from Bethesda creating Broken Steel for Fallout 3 due to similar complaints.

I believe we'll eventually get word of a "Broken Omni-tool" DLC or something like that.

Ahhh, so now we're back to painting Bioware as starving artists. That 60$ wasn't a donation to an art gallery for them to do with as they please. It was payment for goods rendered- which I didn't receive.
And art stopped being sacred when you started being able to commission artwork for money.

As I've said in other threads, I've come to accept the ending for what it is. Not good by any stretch, but acceptable. I'm actually torn on this. While I'd like to see a clarified ending sequence that cleans up the plot holes and explains the fate of the galaxy without a Buzz Aldrin monologue, I'd actually have more respect for them if they stuck to their guns on this. I can see what they tried to do (or were forced to do due to constraints) and while I think it's a terrible way to end the story, it's their call in the end. If this is the ending you wanted for your game, great. Stand by that decision.

Well, if the Mona Lisa's smile was drawn on an otherwise perfectly fine painting with neon-green (or red, or blue) highlighter, you probably would demand a change - especially if you're the person who's expected to buy it. If you say that a video game is art, it must be allowed to be criticized as such.

Otherwise, I'd be fine with alternate ending DLC. If I get a proper ending for free, Bioware would get another footnote of awesome in my book, but since I'm aware that making a video game does cost money, I'd be happy to pitch in and pay them for their extra effort.

Doing business with Bioware - which is pretty much what we're doing, everything above that is a nice something extra - has so far always paid out for me in the end.

By the way, Andy, have you seen how far off the endings were? Demanding "a new and "better" ending" is really not as ludicrous as you may well find it. This isn't some stupid raging by some people who didn't quite like the particular ending. This is 90 % of fans of the series thinking that the ending does the franchise complete and utter unjustice.

tl;dr
If you find a flaw in a product you buy, you may very well demand that the shortcomings be remedied; and while noone is immune to delivering a product that doesn't fit the customer's expectations, fixing it is usually considered good business.

Morbissus:
After checking out the endings I doubt I will even but ME3 used with or without a new ending.

Don't do that to yourself - I'd still call it one of the best games I ever played. If you want to avoid the ending, just stop playing at that certain point and you'll be where you are now (no closure, no ending to the series) but about 40 hours of great playtime richer.

RatRace123:
I'm up for them changing the ending. For me it doesn't seem at all different from Bethesda creating Broken Steel for Fallout 3 due to similar complaints.

Of course not. The "change ending" thing can be done in a number of different ways without butchering the Bioware's concept of the game. Andy's logic would fit perfectly in Bioware's ending.

And Bioware can even say no. It's their product. Hundred's of artists everywhere change their works based on feedback, specially commercial artists, or do you thing jingle's are the vision of the musician unscathed?

Bioware is the one who have to judge what is adequate and what is not. Casey Hudson said that the fans are co-creators of the series, let's see how serious he was talking.

So lets say someone gets the FTC to wag a finger at Bio-ware and hits them with a huge fine. Then what?

Does EA dissolve the studio and chaos ensues for a few years as different people try to form their own indie company from the ashes?

Do they point out one guy on the team to blame and he never works in games again?(cause crap rolls down hill).

Does EA interpret this much controversy as good publicity. Advertising they never could have done on their own; and decides more games need to have controversial endings to get attention?(Like a kid who sets a house on fire)

Bio-ware and EA give in to demand and make a whole new set of endings(free of charge since the government is making them) and its still not what everyone wanted?

Alternatively the new ending is so good that the the original teams never work on a ME game again cause they know they will never meet expectations and want to go out on a high note? so the string of crappy ME sequels that follow will be an confusing miasma of FPS, RTS, and MMO's that have little to nothing to do with original concept of the game but new generations who pick it up don't know any better and give them all perfect 10/10 and then you realize that your the cranky old man complaining about games being better in "your day"? and your posting all your angry rants with your 10 yr outdated I-pad sitting on a couch IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

I'm glad to see some people coming around to the Indoctrination theory. If you listen to the Codex about indoctrination, then watch the ending. It makes alot more sense.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here