GAME Closure Looms on Monday

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

eh, in my (small) hometown there are 3 good to large sized GAME shops within literally 2 minutes walk of each other. I've always thought that was ridiculous, maybe they could close one or two

eh, in my (small) hometown there are 3 good to large sized GAME shops within literally 2 minutes walk of each other. I've always thought that was ridiculous, maybe they could close one or two

Whoops, looks like there are two of these posts within 2 seconds reading distance.

GAME's always been way too expensive for me. I won't care as much as I would about other retailers closing, but it's still sad to hear.

There's been a Game store near me for the last 13 or 14 years. I've had a reward card from there since day one. Many years ago they downsized the store (they cut it in half and stuck a wall in) but since then they've actually taken on more staff.

Speaking as someone from Ireland, I don't always find that the prices online are amazingly cheaper, if even at all, at least not on new games. EG: The new SSX on xbox, EUR 47,86 from amazon, 53e from play.com and 54.99 from cdwow. It's probably 50e in the store basing this on other titles I've seen recently and a pound to euro conversion and I can have it tomorrow instead of in a few days. I've never bought a brand new game off Steam, it's usually more expensive than buying it in store. Buying WoW time cards in the store is actually cheaper than a monthly sub, it also gave me reward card points.

Game has lost a lot of it's charm over the years. Somewhere between the xbox/ps2 and 360/ps3 generation, they really lost track of themselves.

I'll be going in this weekend to use up whatever points I have left over on something, maybe SSX.

Ilikemilkshake:

CardinalPiggles:
GAME is pretty bad anyway, over priced garbage. As long as Steam and Amazon stay afloat, I'll be happy.

I've never understood this argument. I'm not saying GAME is cheap but Steam is almost always more expensive for both new and old games. Apart from sales that is which doesn't really count.

Anyway I hope this means independent stores stand more of a chance, and new more competitive chains opens up.. that's really the only good thing i can see coming from this closure.

that may be true (hint its probably not but for argument lets agree that it is) but even if it were true, it never had enough stock, the maximum number of goodd pc titles in that store at any time was a couple of shelfs worth. Compare that to LITERALLY hundreds of titles that are available online (hell indie titles are only available that way).

Game burned its pc bridges a long time ago, you will be hard pressed to find pc gamers who care about its demise.

Oh sure, blame Australia you lazy twats....

The big wigs of GAME should have noticed this sooner, not from other countries but as a whole. besides, if it's OUR fault, why are our GAME stores still going well?
(excusing Prices, all retail copy of games in AUS are over-priced in general.)

SO, assuming GAME closes here too.... I might swoop in and buy a PS Vita for Cheap :3
(assuming they don't send the stock back)

bahumat42:

Ilikemilkshake:

CardinalPiggles:
GAME is pretty bad anyway, over priced garbage. As long as Steam and Amazon stay afloat, I'll be happy.

I've never understood this argument. I'm not saying GAME is cheap but Steam is almost always more expensive for both new and old games. Apart from sales that is which doesn't really count.

Anyway I hope this means independent stores stand more of a chance, and new more competitive chains opens up.. that's really the only good thing i can see coming from this closure.

that may be true (hint its probably not but for argument lets agree that it is) but even if it were true, it never had enough stock, the maximum number of goodd pc titles in that store at any time was a couple of shelfs worth. Compare that to LITERALLY hundreds of titles that are available online (hell indie titles are only available that way).

Game burned its pc bridges a long time ago, you will be hard pressed to find pc gamers who care about its demise.

I'm not saying Game is some kind of wonder store that stocked every title... It would be quite impossible to do so. However my local Game store at least, was the best place to buy physical copies of PC games, usually reasonably priced, at least 5 cheaper for most titles compared with steam.

If you're trying to say Game suck because they don't have as much as the INTERNET then i think you're being... *warning: buzzword incoming* ENTITLEDDDDD!
Kidding obviously but that's not specific to Game.

meh all specialty retail is useless in the internet age

no need for the "expertise" since we have infinite reviews, no need for the community since we have forums and chatrooms, no need for the selection since we have amazon and steam

not that it is anything like gamespot but this PE comic pretty much shows why retail chain specialty gaming shops are dying and good riddance

Ilikemilkshake:

bahumat42:

Ilikemilkshake:

I'm not saying Game is some kind of wonder store that stocked every title... It would be quite impossible to do so. However my local Game store at least, was the best place to buy physical copies of PC games, usually reasonably priced, at least 5 cheaper for most titles compared with steam.

If you're trying to say Game suck because they don't have as much as the INTERNET then i think you're being... *warning: buzzword incoming* ENTITLEDDDDD!

The trade off of a couple pounds difference (if you pre order titles you like anyway) is worth paying to be able to re-download your title at any point and having access to what you want without needing to go to a store (and pay however much travel expenses). Something a hard copy can't do once you lose it. (not to mention som of the draconian install limits (these still occur on d2d, but less often and less draconianly.)

I understand why people shopped at the stores, but i have only ever used them to kill time for the last 3 or so years just because more convenient options were always available.

If i want to play a game on release day now, i preorder and its installed by the day it comes out and i get to play.

As opposed to needing to go to town to get it, get home and install it (and patch it, increasingly the whole thing is downloadable anyway) and then play it.

Path of least resistance and all that.

And in reality if game does demise it opens up the uk market for some actual retail competition in that area, which it hasn't had in years. Competition is always good for us.

(and i don't hate game either, just their brick and mortar i dont buy from, i paid like 24 quid for a new bf3 off of them on release, as opposed to origins 45 quid pricing lol, and i got to play it before its official release ^^)

I find funny and somewhat ironic how someone at Game said today that they are doing okay, despite the immanent closure, and all this crap looming over them.

Being optimistic about the situation is great and all, but that sure as hell won't save your jobs.

bahumat42:

Ilikemilkshake:

bahumat42:

The trade off of a couple pounds difference (if you pre order titles you like anyway) is worth paying to be able to re-download your title at any point and having access to what you want without needing to go to a store (and pay however much travel expenses). Something a hard copy can't do once you lose it. (not to mention som of the draconian install limits (these still occur on d2d, but less often and less draconianly.)

I understand why people shopped at the stores, but i have only ever used them to kill time for the last 3 or so years just because more convenient options were always available.

If i want to play a game on release day now, i preorder and its installed by the day it comes out and i get to play.

As opposed to needing to go to town to get it, get home and install it (and patch it, increasingly the whole thing is downloadable anyway) and then play it.

Path of least resistance and all that.

And in reality if game does demise it opens up the uk market for some actual retail competition in that area, which it hasn't had in years. Competition is always good for us.

(and i don't hate game either, just their brick and mortar i dont buy from, i paid like 24 quid for a new bf3 off of them on release, as opposed to origins 45 quid pricing lol, and i got to play it before its official release ^^)

I agree with all of that, infact apart from pre-ordering physical copies of certain things (like ME3 collectors edition) i buy most of my games from Steam. My point wasn't that Game is inherently better or whatever.. It's that i don't get why people complain about the pricing, when as far as i can tell Steam is always more expensive bar the sales.

It is sad to have that many people join the already high numbers of unemployment in the UK, and it will in the end be the staff that suffer, not the executives or other high level management who are to blame for the mis-steps and blunders that caused them to be in this situation.

As of monday there are gonna be 3 empty shops in portsmouth and thats sad, especially since the only other real place in that area is CEX.

I imagine the stores will be back but in some changed form as a wise man once said:

"Everything returns later in its changed form" cookie for the quote :P

NO! Hold on just 3 more weeks!

I still have vouchers to spend there!

TheKasp:

Ilikemilkshake:

You know what's keeping Steam prices high? Retailer like GAME which for one don't give a FUCK about PC gamers but still refuse to shelf any title if you can get a better deal online. Yup, I'm gonna shed a tear for this retailer chain for all the good it did. Overpriced games outside of sales on DD platforms, Space Marine not released on steamstore in UK, bullying people into buying used games instead of new...

As A PC gamer I cannot agree more. They only stocked Wow+expansions and a few copies of The Sims 3 in the Australian stores I went to (And they were stupidly overpriced, no wonder they didn't make much over here!). They did have a good range for the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii... But I do not own ANY of those consoles! The closest thing I have is my Nintendo GameCube!

I'll miss Game, if only for window shopping. I still have CEX for trade ins and cheap pre-owns and I still have HMV so I can still complain about games being overpriced and not buy them. So really I'm not losing out at all.

GAME was always good for some preowned deals or those "3 games for $30" deals. It's a shame they have to close down.

Can't say I'm suprised.

I wonder if the answer is actually have the publishers get together, buy up GAME, and do profit sharing on used games.

Yey, I can throw out my 4 Game and Gamestataion cards and finally get some much needed space in my wallet. It currently has about 18 cards in about 8 slots.

Bummer for the ~19500 staff, but at least they can go work at some other game retai..... oh....

vxicepickxv:
I wonder if the answer is actually have the publishers get together, buy up GAME, and do profit sharing on used games.

I've been lurking on The Escapist for a few years now, but thought I'd finally create an account so I could congratulate you on your ridiculously simple, brilliant idea.

It's far too smart and they'll never do it of course, but still.

You know it's not really surprising that GAME's done poorly in Aus, one opened up at the local shopping centre (mall) a few years ago, competition was already bad for it since there was already an Electronics Boutique (Gamestop) and a Game Traders (Local chain).

I went and checked them out a few times, but their range, prices and shipping dates for new releases was less then impressive (JB Hi-Fi got stuff in earlier then they did.

In fact EB still had a much better selection then them and I stopped shopping with them ages ago in favour of the local Game Traders. It's bad for the employees, but if your company can't or won't provide something better then your competition then honestly you don't deserve to keep doing business.

Huh I wonder why no publisher wants to acquire the retailer so they can make a retail outlet that follows the rules they wish to push (No used games, etc.) Oh, cause then they couldn't live denial about how used trades help stimulate new game sales.

Lunar Templar:
well, i guess it's game over then

well, i guess it's *puts on shades* game over then

corrected it for you.

Any chance theres gunna be games goin dirt cheap? mite check out me local this weekend.

doggie015:

TheKasp:

Ilikemilkshake:

You know what's keeping Steam prices high? Retailer like GAME which for one don't give a FUCK about PC gamers but still refuse to shelf any title if you can get a better deal online. Yup, I'm gonna shed a tear for this retailer chain for all the good it did. Overpriced games outside of sales on DD platforms, Space Marine not released on steamstore in UK, bullying people into buying used games instead of new...

As A PC gamer I cannot agree more. They only stocked Wow+expansions and a few copies of The Sims 3 in the Australian stores I went to (And they were stupidly overpriced, no wonder they didn't make much over here!). They did have a good range for the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii... But I do not own ANY of those consoles! The closest thing I have is my Nintendo GameCube!

They had the top 10 PC games from the charts. and then a couple of displays of utter shite. Like Murder she wrote the game, Tractor Simulator, NOT AT ALL BEJEWLED GEM GAME, and so on.

its a shame about the job losses especially in the current economic climate, however can game not just continue as an online retailer when (if) it closes the high street stores?

I feel the same way about when the big-chain bookshops started closing... I'm very sorry about the loss of jobs but welcome to the 21st century bitch.

This has been coming for a long time. Before Christmas they tried to charge me over 50 for a Dualshock 3, I just laughed in the guys face and walked literally next door into HMV, They had them for 40.

For games that I can wait a day for, I just use shopto

What killed GAME's chance of getting my money recently is the fact it costs 60p to park or 1.20 for a bus to town where it is located, but it's free to park at the blockbuster that has a similar space dedicated to games. Convenience and lack of parking charges does a lot to help. A lot of towns in the UK are (successfully) removing parking charges to stimulate in town shopping.

CardinalPiggles:

This.

Why would I pay 40+ for a game that's been out 3 months when it's 20 on the internet new.

Why would I pay 15 second hand for a game that's 17 new on the internet and <10 second hand on the internet?

I find it interesting that this article cites Australia as being a part of the reason Game is in trouble. I was speaking with a Store Manage of an Australian Game store recently, and I was asking how the trouble in the UK was affecting them. His reply was that it wasn't and it wouldn't. He said Game Australia had been independent from Game UK chain for about a year.

Not sure who to believe on this though.

I talked to one of the senior staff members in my local store the UK arm is apparently of interest to Asda (Walmart) and Capita who may purchase that part of the Business and Gamestop want to buy the Iberian (Spain/Portugal) branches of the group. Whether this happens before Monday is still up for debate.

But it will be sad to see them go.

Captcha: Love is blind

Fuck. Best go in this weekend to spend my points and buy all the 98p games.

Another serious note: I feel so bad for everyone who works at GAME/station, like I've said before it's not nice to lose your job, espesially in this climate, through no fault of your own. I do hope something happens and it re-opens (or something similar)

Also, GAME apparently want to go into voluntary administration and resurrect without Gamestation... what a kick in the balls for Gamestation after being brought out by them.

Eh... I mainly used GAME when I was desperate and couldn't find it anywhere else. Found that their prices were pretty high-strung and the employees have never really been that helpful. Even doing a quick comparison:
The Darkness in GAME (used): 12.00
The Darkness in another place in town (used): 4.99
So yeah.
None-the-less sad to see them in this situation. Hope it works out because I know a lot of people shop there.

They need to be smarter. In Meadowhall near where I live there are 2 seperate GAME Stores, one on the ground floor and one directly above it. They're seperate stores that jsut happen to sit like that out of coincidence. When you consider that the only thing that differs between these two branches are the particular used games each one happens to have in stock you have to ask what the point of it is?

I do hope it doesn't shut down though, I've bought so much junk from there over the last 15 or years and my GAME reward card is the oldest thing in my wallet.

anonymity88:
They need to be smarter. In Meadowhall near where I live there are 2 seperate GAME Stores, one on the ground floor and one directly above it. They're seperate stores that jsut happen to sit like that out of coincidence. When you consider that the only thing that differs between these two branches are the particular used games each one happens to have in stock you have to ask what the point of it is?

I do hope it doesn't shut down though, I've bought so much junk from there over the last 15 or years and my GAME reward card is the oldest thing in my wallet.

Which is part of the problem, I know a couple of shopping centres that have 2 GAME's and a Gamestation all nearby. How much could they save if they just kept it to a single store per area? GAME became bloated on their own success and now they are paying the price.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here