BioWare Co-Founder Promises Closure For Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Really?
They're surprised?
It's strange to them that a great story that players literally have hundreds of hours invested in angers players when there's literally no good ending no matter what you do. You just pick an ending at the end, and nothing you've done so far will be reflected upon even slightly.

There's a difference between a bittersweet ending and a complete bullshit cop out that not only does not leave an untold number of things unanswered, but prompts even more questions.

I've gotten over my initial hate for the ending. Really, I'm totally okay with the Mass Relays blowing up. It means hard times for everyone in the Galaxy for a few decades at least, but they survived and the cycle is finally broken.

A proper explanation of the Normandy running away is all I need to be satisfied.

"Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics", NO FUCKING SHIT, Mass Effect 3 was a great game and the type that always gets high scores regardless, most rational people won't argue that. The endings were trash and that is all most people have a problem with. I'm not asking for a new ending, Bioware can stick with what they gave us for all I care, I just want them to add more to it. You can't just give us those endings and expect us not to be pissed, as any teacher grading a paper would say, "YOU NEED TO ELABORATE".

Dastardly:
The ending is out there, and they can't take it back. Nor should they. Nor would it do the least bit to please the complainers. However, they're recognizing what they can do: not change the ending, but clarify it a bit.

There is nothing to clarify. We are not idiots. We understand the ending. And we understand that it doesn't make any sense unless that indoctrination theory is correct. There is nothing they could possibly clarify that we didn't already think of.

This attempt to give us answers without giving us actual answers, plus their cryptic messages about holding on to your save files and not knowing what they have in store for us, and the analysis of the ending leads me to believe in the indoctrination theory even more. They are trolling us.

Art Axiv:
I know I will pay for the DLC.
I'm a weak man.

This is why we can't have nice things. Is it really that hard to just do something else?

"So, it's incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game's endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics - but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility."

I feel really bad now after berating the games ending. But they were sub-par in comparison to, well, anything really; and they were a huge let-down after such an epic trilogy. I know how "heartwrentching" (for use of a better word) it is to pour your life into a creative piece and have it ripped apart. Is this situation more fool me, or them?

Leximodicon:
I'd patch in about 2 minutes of text saying all this shit that characters did after the explosion, then told everyone to fuck off. The game isn't perfect, live with it.

See the problem with that is people would actually have to find something else to do with their time. Like play outside, or learn a language. Or you know move on and play something else.

The ending was anti-climatic and made little sense, but it didn't break the game nor was it like the Sopranos, Shepard eating in a space diner with Journey playing the background for no damn reason.

VonKlaw:
Atleast this guy seems to know how to talk PR bullshite without managing to piss even more people off.

Nope, he doesn't. You don't appease angry fans by pointing to reviews (who have EA advertisements plastered all over their sites) twice, or claiming your rushed, obscurantist mess is 'artistic'. It's not, it's garbage.

Granted, -I- think it's hilarious garbage. A bit like ending Empire Strikes Back with ten minutes of dancing sumo wrestlers; yeah, it might completely betray the material up to that point, but it would be -funny-.

I now have a new appreciation for MovieBobs fanboyism. Sure he gives nintendo way to much credit but at least he is loyal. I wouldn't want fans if they were the Mass Effect fans. Fair weather and all that. Singing your praises until you make one mistake? no thanks.

Pandabearparade:

VonKlaw:
Atleast this guy seems to know how to talk PR bullshite without managing to piss even more people off.

Nope, he doesn't. You don't appease angry fans by pointing to reviews (who have EA advertisements plastered all over their sites) twice, or claiming your rushed, obscurantist mess is 'artistic'. It's not, it's garbage.

Granted, -I- think it's hilarious garbage. A bit like ending Empire Strikes Back with ten minutes of dancing sumo wrestlers; yeah, it might completely betray the material up to that point, but it would be -funny-.

Yeah, I spoke too soon. xD Atleast he's showing some sembelance of being apologetic though, rather than "STFU, your ruining our russian sales" like...certain other Bioware team members.

Art Axiv:
I'm a weak man.

I am ashamed to say the same. I'd pay 10$ just to make these endings go away.

So legions of fans have essentially bullied the shite out of a group of artists until they caved and decided to rewrite the ending to THEIR series.

Great.

STARSaIphaTeam:

Callate:

Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics - but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.

Well, here's the thing. With a much-anticipated triple-A game of significant length that every video game media site pretty much has to have a review out on ASAP lest they get left in the dust by their competitors- how likely is it that every reviewer who posts a review has actually made it to the ending?

A lot of them did. They just don't let the ending discredit the rest of the game, which is amazing.

The problem is context. Just picking up ME3, playing through and finishing, the game is pretty good. The ending a bit odd and un-fulfilling, but passable.

However, to people have invested time, effort and money into both previous games with multiple playthroughs, etc., the ending is a complete smack in the face and about as big an insult as Bioware can make without breaking out the "Yo' Mamma" jokes.

How many critics played through the whole game? How many actually played through with a character they had invested through the last 2 games?

How many of the critics they got to review the game weren't scared shitless that if they panned the game they would be litigated and obscured out of existence by EA?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/21/bioware-co-founder-apologizes-to-fans-for-the-mass-effect-3-ending-sort-of/

Oh, to be sure, there is such thing as destructive commentary. True ad hominem does exist in the wild. But the notion that artists ought only respond to constructive criticism is delirious. If games are truly art, and the teams who develop them truly artists, why should they be treated with kiddie gloves?

"There is no need to take a "constructive" attitude with talented artists," writes Stephen Bond, "if anything, they find such an attitude more offensive. As H.L. Mencken said: "I do not object to being denounced, but I can't abide being schoolmastered, especially by men I regard as imbeciles." The constructive critic is a crow who takes it upon himself to educate the eagle; one who tries to force his own limitations on those who can soar far higher, unencumbered."

Constructive criticism, Bond argues, is a "mass hallucination." It is "inimical to the purposes of criticism as art. I'll say it again: the point of criticism is not to improve you, but to express me. And each time I digress to offer you helpful suggestions, encouraging remarks and other pep-talk, I am not truly expressing myself. I'm merely being polite, nice, even a bit condescending - in other words, I'm being aesthetically repulsive."

I'm starting to really like forbes.

Ashoten:
I now have a new appreciation for MovieBobs fanboyism. Sure he gives nintendo way to much credit but at least he is loyal. I wouldn't want fans if they were the Mass Effect fans. Fair weather and all that. Singing your praises until you make one mistake? no thanks.

So you prefer blind obedience instead of someone who will actively call you on something that doesn't make sense? Well, I guess that's something, but really, I would entirely disagree. I don't see anything fair weather about these fans. Sure you can point to one or two who are indeed out of line, but that's an obvious strawman you use to discredit a movement/group/etc when you have no real standing.

Most of these people if you actually read their stuff, myself included, still love the series, but what they decided to crap out for the ending was a slap in the face. Normally I'd say opinions on things like this are subjective, but compared to what we were promised and what the entire trilogy was about, this isn't an subjectivity issue.

I already posted my main thoughts elsewhere, but to use something that's become a bit of a Meme, they claimed that we wouldn't get an A, B, C ending, when, that's exactly what we got. And no the fact that in 2 you could save or destroy the base means it was only an A or B ending. The entire run up to there you were making choices of who went with you and who did not and that meant who survived, those are all potentially huge branching choices. Alas, I have a feeling you will do little more than stick fingers in your ears because we have to be children/whiners/whatever because Gamespot and others told you so.

Andy Chalk:
Ray
Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics

Not to burst your bubble, but.. the critics never count in anything these days. Some of the most boring movies I had ever seen won some Oscar awards along with a lot of praise. A few of the most enjoyable movies I had ever seen got a 3.5 rating by one or two of the critics judging the movie. Just depends on you entirely and even if everyone agrees with the critics about Mass Effect 3 deserving the highest rating around.. they can't say the ending is still good for a perfect rating.

I wonder if the critics even reached the end or if they were paid to give the game such praise. After all, EA is involved and after all those incidents I really don't trust those guys anymore. Not to mention I watch 'reviews' on movies or games.. critics just give a score and they don't even have to mean it. I trust MovieBob but apart from that... not at all is this going to help prove a point Ray.

Ray
Tell your friends if you feel it's a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damndest, as always, to address your feedback. As artists, we care about our fans deeply and we appreciate your support."

.. Secretive advertising I see? Maybe not, but why would you tell us this Ray? You're in a very bad position dealing with ME3's ending yet the very end of your sentence you pretty much tell us "While we're working on this DLC" (note that they've broken 4 promises so I doubt they'll keep their word *sigh*) "Tell your friends to buy ME3 and play it so we get as much money as possible before it's to late for us!" I mean you don't tell people to have your friends check out their game and play it... mainly because then they'll get on Bioware for the ending too which adds fuel plus Ray you're acting greedy and shameless. Focus on helping the fans instead of digging a bigger grave ditch for yourselves at Bioware.

Fappy:

Art Axiv:
I'm a weak man.

Agreed, I've already started another character starting way back in ME1 in anticipation for the release of a patch/DLC/update whatever their going to call it.

But Bioware please, please understand we love your game. It is the best game of 2012 in my opinion and will remain that way, but like so many other have said before me. JRR Tolken would have been booed rather than praised if Sauron had pulled a move like your Godchild on Frodo.

Ashoten:

What developer would choose fans that can and will be critical of your work, when they can have fans that will buy anything you put out?

generalization of Nintendo fans, FTW!!!

I'm glad to hear that Bioware is working on an improved ending, but I don't want them to compromise their original vision. Just make things a little clearer for the audience (like explain if Shepard really was indoctrinated at the end).

Ashoten:

Except this one mistake not only botches the ending of one game, but botches the endings of all 3 games.
I won't play any ME game ever again since I know whatever choice I make in them doesn't amount to anything.The ending to ME3 wasn't just a mistake. It was a slap in the face to fans, and storytelling.

Meh. Same old bullshit from a higher paid dude.

Ignatz_Zwakh:
So legions of fans have essentially bullied the shite out of a group of artists until they caved and decided to rewrite the ending to THEIR series.

Great.

I wouldn't say bullied really. Sure some are getting out of hand but a lot of people are just stating their concerns and Bioware keeps ignoring the community, dodging the answers simply replying "artistic value- respect the ending guys we don't care if it sucked to you!" Wish I could of expressed that differently but really that's all it comes down to.

Don't get me wrong.. I used to be okay with Mass Effect. But after ME3 came out I was convinced I should play ME1, 2, then 3 just to see what the hype was about. Got very drawn in, loved all the characters (especially Tali), the story made my jaw drop, and everything was just wonderful. Until ME3's ending *SPOILER ALERT* where it throws all your hard work out the window making your hours invested pointless, making way to many plot holes to count thus screws everyone even more then what the Reapers could of possibly done and Shepard had to die for that. The worst part is that Bioware promised it wouldn't be like that. They promised a lot of times about ME3 not being like Lost. They broke 4 promises and the ME3's ending goes against what Mass Effect stands for entirely.

... It makes me sad, no.. feeling very unmotivated. You can say we bullied Bioware but if you think about it... how would you act if your beloved series from a novel collection, movie series, show trilogy, or in this case games continuing the story was to end in such a hollow, crappy ending where I would rather have a depressing ending then this very bleak ending that makes absolutely no sense. Here, this video summarizes how everyone feels about the ending perfectly and that we have at least some right to complain. Not flame Bioware, but call them out of course.

Look, I'm all for "artistic integrity," but it shouldn't surprise this guy how fans reacted to the ending. Yes, it was bad, but the thing is that it didn't deliver what was promised. Might seem stupid, but this is one of the core reasons why there is so much rage. If Bioware had not promised us what they did, then most fans would have still raged but at least gotten over it much faster.

Also, pointing to high critics ratings means nothing. I don't trust them >>

Fappy:

Art Axiv:
I'm a weak man.

I already have the money set aside just in case :(
I'm in this with you, Art Axiv. Fappy.

I still believe in the indoctrinated theory.

i wonder how long it would take for them to make an ending if it only started now. there would be script writing, rendering. placing. paceing. animation. details. programing etc.. dont know much about game design but i think it would probably take a few months to test and implement.

now.. if they come out with the ending maybe next month.. that would mean they already were working on it.. and the possible rumors of them cutting it off due to the leaked script might have some weight.

if they do release it fairly quickly... i would have to hand it to bioware. it would mean they perpously made the ending like it is.. and would be so awesome if it was the indoctrination theory... cuz then they just trolled us all. building up tension and anticipation for the true ending. idk. i hope they come out soon.. later would mean they were just caving into pressure. =(

There's really only one thing that they need to change.

I don't particularly care if they change ME3. I was hesitant about it when the DLC fiasco started, so I borrowed it, planning to buy it later.

My plans have changed.

It seems like Bioware has, though this ending, managed to create a humungous demand (...with surrounding publicity) for an "epilogue" DLC, which people, by the looks of it, will be willing to pony up quite a bit of money for, even after the way some of them may have reacted to the opportunistic nature of the first one.

Accident?

Lillowh:
Holy crap this man knows how to PR like a boss. Even though they love what they made and what their first response based on instinct was, which the admittance of shows that they're actually looking at themselves instead of just shutting us out. Honestly, nobody should be able to insult them for what their first instinctive response was because almost everyone does the same thing with something they're really proud of making and from their position it was probably like presenting a painting of your senior class that all your relatives and friends said was beautiful that you made to signify how you'll miss them, and everyone in the room snickers and calls it shitty). To me the biggest surprise of this statement was that although they believer what they made was great, he's taking legitimate criticism of his work into account constructively, and not being completely arrogant about it and saying we're "playing it wrong" or something like that, he's actually admitting they might have made some mistakes and using the word humility in regards to something they need to have? I hope this is a sign of Bioware getting knocked back to reality from the "everything we make is instant gold bars financially and review-wise," attitude it seems they've been slipping into that was probably the cause of the lower quality of their work that has been happening since they started getting into that phase. Maybe they'll return to the quality of work that they used to produce.

On the other hand, and I know he says they want to have artistic integrity with this. I feel they threw that out somewhere between the freshly dead corpse after DA2 (I still loved DA2, not nearly as much as DA:O and DA:O:A, so if a frash corpse of a Bioware writer is what caused the game to be what it was, the body was already picked apart by crows by the end of 3. Seems like ending of Neon Genesis all over again. Even though this technically makes more sense then the ME3 ending, imagine if this was in the last few pages of The Return of the King (would make more since Magic actually exists here and the "most important character in the universe" has been introduced in the series before this page). Do you think people would accept this ending if it was the artist's vision that Tolkien wrote?

I agree with your points, and the modified end to the Lord of the Rings is both funny and accurate. BUT I would add the small criticism that, in the ME3...

TL,DR: Please buy our game, even though the ending is crap.

Bioware needs to fix this. At light speed. The fans are not happy -- not disappointed, not dissatisfied, they are downright angry, and the feel cheated.

If this screw-up isn't addressed, then Mass Effect's legacy in this industry will be a sour note in the symphony -- people will tell jokes. That's what Mass Effect will be. A joke. People will walk by Mass Effect's house, point and say 'That's where Old Man Shepard lives. He could have ruled the world, but he traded away all his money for rainbows and multiplayer.'

i loved mass effect 3 until i got to the end like well most people out there im stoked that some people loved the ending and got what they wanted from it. what i was disappointed with was the fact we have a story built entirely on personal choices making a difference and in the end it really doesnt. how they didnt realise people would want to know what happened to the side characters, the races, etc defies belief

as for artistic integrity, i support it but there isnt exactly a lot of integrity when bioware plagerised the ending to Deus Ex.

Now let's see if the closure they promise to provide comes with a price tag.

Dexter111:
Soo... aside from all the marketing and PR FUD about "artistic integrity" and all the "passionate people" working there, can someone tell me what he said that's actually new aside from "We're still working on DLC, stop bothering us till April ffs" in a nicer form?
He even repeats that "artistic integrity" line about 4-5 times, just to make sure that he isn't actually promising any changes.

I find it more interesting that apparently "over 75 critics" gave them a perfect review score, I mean LOL.

And the last line rings true of "Please continue to buy and play our game!.

I find it more baffling that the guy who sold Bioware to EA is going on about artistic integrity.

McMullen:

Art Axiv:
I'm a weak man.

This is why we can't have nice things. Is it really that hard to just do something else?

Well, it is hard to just do something else, because I feel quite passionate about the universe and I want more. I'm not on some "agenda" here. DLC is here to stay, and if I like the game, I'll buy the DLC for it.

Or I can just watch a "Let's play" of it on Youtube because there is always someone who will buy the DLC and record it.

Ha.
(I do not in any way promote the above solution to the problem, lol)

Now they'll start selling the "true" ending/s.

Fuck you EA and fuck you BioWare.

I already said I won't buy any EA/Bioware game ever again after Mass Effect 3 and I guess I won't be missing on much in the next decade or so.

Let this better be free DLC.

Andy Chalk:
Muzyka wrote. "Even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that genuinely surprised us."

I don't buy this.

I do not believe that every single person within Bioware looked at the final ending and said: "Yup, that's a perfect ending to this trilogy; fans are gonna love it!"

Don't get me wrong, this is Bioware's baby, the people there must be very invested in the characters and the world. I get that. So how did these endings get a thumbs up from every single person involved in the game's development? Seriously guys?

"This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue."

How the hell do you continue the Mass Effect universe when you destroyed the mass relays AND stranded all races at Earth with no hope of survival? How do you continue the Mass Effect universe when any of three endings could have occured? Why the massive plot holes that will only hinder your development of further games? Arghh my brain!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here