BioWare Co-Founder Promises Closure For Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Andy Chalk:

The rage over the ending of Mass Effect 3 is unlike anything I've ever seen. Dissatisfied gamers by the thousands have howled on internet forums

I can't help but notice how you concentrate on this aspect and totally ignore / fail to give recognition to the vast amount of people who have taken the time to coherently and rationally to offer up staggering amounts of evidence to back up our so-called "howling".

If you actually bothered to check out the BioWare forums you will find many threads that are all focused on keeping a clear head and engaging with BioWare in a civil and rational manner.

While I am not saying that there are not people shrieking like howler monkeys being fed bollocks-first through a wood-chipper out there because there are but in pointing them out and saying nothing of the growing number of us who are keeping it sane and civil you are skewing peoples opinions about us.

If you disagree with us then fine, no problem, but please don't try and make others see your point of view without at least mentioning that we're not all "howling". Let them make up their own mind, please.

Regards

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics

For some reason that just translates to me as "Well look the game got high ratings, so we don't care what you think".

If we do get some sort of change to the ending, or closure, or whatever. They better give it to us for free. I cannot imagine the shit-storm that would kick off if we had to pay for it as DLC.

I have yet to complete the game so I can say nothing on how bad the endings are. But from what I have heard from friends I can imagine why people are angry.

You need to look at that sentence again. Notice how he says that they can't just say that anymore. Bioware is trying to calm people down without confirming anything. They're just hoping you will read between the lines.

Give some credit this is the first PR statement where they actually are giving some sort of an answer.

krellen:

Don quixote's mule:
This is a complete shame. One of the few times Bioware tries to do something legitimately artsy

I don't think "take the ending of another game (Deus Ex) and paste it on ours" qualifies as "legitimately artsy".

No that qualifies as legitimate plagiarism. How Bioware thought they could get away with it and no one would notice is beyond me, and the fact that Ken Levine was sad over the whole ordeal tells me he planned on ripping off another developer as well instead of coming up with his own ending.

Kevlar Eater:
Oh, dear gods, would it kill them to be upfront about their intentions? All I read out of that was "hurr durr artistic integrity, blah blah passionate fans, something something dark side".

He speaks to us as if we can't see through the PR smokescreen.

putowtin:
Dear Bioware:

Stop talking in bloody riddles!
and give me an ending that makes sense

Thank you

Putowtin

"Upfront about intentions"? "Riddles"? The guy is simply saying "we heard that your bitching, and we'll consider the complaints whilst making the DLC you're now guarenteed to buy". I doubt he is able to pull out a list from his back pocket and tell you exactly what is going to be going in to it, and he wouldn't anyway.

I hope they really do intend to provide some closure, because as time goes on that becomes my biggest problem with the ending.

I've honestly had enough time to get over the ending at this point. I still don't like how it ended, but I find myself getting invested in the universe again now that I started reading Revelation.

That being said... I still wouldn't mind a bit of tweaking on the ending. I'd like to know what my crew does after I throw myself into the Space Magic machine. That and an explanation why the Reapers didn't make a beeline for the Citadel first, to deactivate the relay network.

My golden Mass Effect ending: Getting 40 bucks back from PlayNTrade for the whole trilogy.

disgruntledgamer:

Sonic Doctor:

snip

Under this logic no one would be allowed to return anything ever and they would have to accept they bought a broken or rotten product.

I'm fine with returns, only proper ones where the product is actually broken physically or technically. ME3 can be played start to finish without any problems, so it isn't broken. Returns are for legitimately broken items.

Honestly, this whole business sounds kinda fishy to me. It is very much weird that they would actually do something, but maybe that's just me being jaded and used to the abuse, much like a battered husband to a 6'2" russian karate blackbelt drunkard.

Still, in the interest of fairness, this IS the most definite answer we had on this whole debacle, and it is, all in all, a confirmation that they're trying to fix it without losing their face in the process, which is to be expected.

If they just came out and said "We fucked up, sorry!" they'd never be able to make up for their lost reputation, at least in their PR department minds, and that's why he's covering their collective ass with the whole "artistic integrity" bullshit.

I'm sorry, if artistic integrity meant anything to you people, you wouldn't have tacked on a completely superfluous multiplayer mode to the end of a trilogy that has consistently been a strictly single player experience, you wouldn't have diverged funds from interactive dialogue trees to do it in a story heavy game whose crown jewels have always been the characters and you wouldn't have claimed that the multiplayer component was going to have no impact on the single player when you were going to make it impossible to earn the best ending without playing it or buyng DLC that is not even avaible yet. Bioware has clearly succumbed to EA's point of view on artistic integrity, also known as "Sorry, I don't know whtat that is"

I play single player games, because i like the experience and the story, and i don't want a bunch of hooting dickholes ruining my experience. I played the Mass Effect series because they are great single player games, despite the flaws in gameplay. I was betrayed by the deliberate intrusion of the multiplayer component, which i loathe. Doubly so by the fact that i was made to shut up about this when it was first revealed with false promises of distinctly separate experiences between multiplayer and single player.

Whatever the outcome of this, i will have serious reservations when buying a new Bioware product in the future, and will more than likely rent it before buying it, to ensure the experience is actually worth full retail price. Also, I will not trust Bioware's PR again on the content of a game, since they clearly have no remorse about straight up lying to their customers and plagiarizing other intellectual properties in the process, no less.

That said, i compiled a handy to do list of things to fix in the ending:

Well that's good news. I hope Bioware does fix this issue so I can proceed to rank ME3 as a contender for my game of the year.

Leximodicon:
I'd patch in about 2 minutes of text saying all this shit that characters did after the explosion, then told everyone to fuck off. The game isn't perfect, live with it.

I can live with that. So long as I can get some closure.

OK, so technically the choices mattered, in that all they did was fill up a FUCKING BAR!!!!! that's just unacceptable. I just wanted something like ME2 where a different cut-scene showed how all your assets, or lack there of, paid off. just show a few Rachni ships blowing up a reaper or some shit, and if you didn't save the Rachni, maybe the crucible would get a little damaged, making it not work as well. you don't need to explain the reapers, because of their whole "we are beyond your comprehension" thing. the end doesn't even need to be happy, everyone could die and get decimated even if you do everything perfectly, we just want to be shown what happened. saying that, I recommend the game to everyone who asks and say that the first 99.5% of the game is perfect, and I mean it.

Goddammit I'm so divided in this discussion. I can't fully agree with either side.
A part of me thinks ME3 ending was poor and that little explanation would be nice. On other hand it was the ending we were given; open to discussion and speculation and we should take it for what it's worth. Bioware acknowledging our concerns was respectful and considerate but possibility of them changing their work, caving in to pressure of loud minority seems staggeringly spineless. Not standing behind your creation sets a dangerous predicament.

I'm certain of one thing though. I wouldn't want to be Bioware at the moment. Surrounded on all sides by game critics and analysts, concerned fans, whiners and howlers and getting all this media space....poor PR guys.

Explaining why the Normandy was mid jump while a war was still raging on would be a nice start. Maybe DLC to hide Liara's time capsules by order of Shep just before he makes his final push on the reapers.

the rest of the ending? i wouldnt know where to begin. keep one n make a few different one, it was the similarity rather than the somber mood that turned me off

complete failure for low galactic readyness maybe?

Sonic Doctor:

I'm fine with returns, only proper ones where the product is actually broken physically or technically. ME3 can be played start to finish without any problems, so it isn't broken. Returns are for legitimately broken items.

Yeah it can be considered broken like if Lord of the Rings ended with Frodo learning that all this was a dream and they were in a computerized Matrix and he was the chosen one.

People would walk out of this nonsensical crap and demand their money back, same thing here but with Deus EX's endings.

BioWare can end the series however they want, and we can't get mad because ART--what kind of an argument is that? Since when has appeal to artistic integrity precluded criticism of a piece? If that's an acceptable defence why the fuck do art critics still exist?

And the idea of a DLC epilogue does rub me the wrong way--more so because it further demonstrates what a mistake the current shoestring ass-pull ending we have now was, but also because I've never been a fan of tacked-on narrative. Still, I think this sentiment that "it's only art if it's a finished product!!" is a damn silly idea too.

If the word "art" applies only to finished products that aren't changed post completion, that definition excludes the Last Supper, the Mona Lisa, the Venus de Milo, every one of Shakespeare's works, Blade Runner, Crime and Punishment, the Maoi, the Louvre, the Lascaux paintings, etcetera, etcetera...

I suspected that we'd get a new ending or more likely, get quests where you play as squadmates via DLC that are meant to tie up all the loose ends. I have yet to play it, but general consensus seems to say that outside of the ending ME3 is a great and long game. If that really is the case, I won't mind eventually purchasing the DLC to have a more 'complete experience'. To accommodate that though, I think I definitely will have to wait a while before buying the game.

If that's the case I am worried about the implications of Shepard's final decision on the story in the DLC. (Particularly because it'll be a narrow decision uncharacteristic of the Shepard I've played so far) It also means I'll have to spend money for a month subscription to Xbox Live to get the points needed to

The company has really been listening to the fans though. They're reacting to every reaction we have to their public statements at a quick and timely manner, I'm certainly impressed~!

I found the ending I chose rather appropriate though, I might even go as far as to say I liked it. Weak, of Bioware to not stick to their guns.

I see alot of people mad about no closure, and no choices. I saw plenty of choices through the game. I agree it might have been better they had not made all those promises and you just played the game. As far as closure goes, yeah it would be nice to have that. But what if they didn't do it because they were making another game. I just remember hearing something about this was just the end of Shepard's story and not the end of the Mass Effect universe. But that could be me just dreaming.
Nothing is ever set in stone. But would more choices make the ending that much better? If it was indoctrination, I would almost consider that more badass that he overcame something, nobody else had. Something that had been improved upon over thousands, even millions of years, and Shepard overcame it?

Valanthe:
Is anybody else beginning to see the words "Artistic Choice" and "The right to suck" as being synonymous?

Without a doubt, it reminds me when George Lucas said the Phantom Menace was artistically designed to have four things going on in the climax, but we should do our best to lessen that artistic choice.

Something along those lines, either way I'm getting tired of these buzz words.

SPOILERS ABOUT ME3 IN THIS POST.

People saying "Hollywood made shitty ending since ever, why are you all complaining" have absolutely no idea what the are talking about.

Cinema and Video games are ENTIRELY different medium. The main difference: One is interactive, other is not. Stop comparing both.

ME3 was a bad ending. That's not even a opinion. It's shat all over the canon, pretty much destroyed the intergalactic community, ignored the entire series premise. Also, fell short of everything bioware promised. "You can't say it's A, B or C ending", "Each choice will matter".

It doesn't. There are 3 endings. The destroy have 3 "different" endings, control have 2 and synergy has 1, IIRC

The only one with a noticeable difference is the Destroy - Vaporizatization ending, which instead of the Reapers being "shocked" and falling down, show a dust wave covering the Earth. And it's only the first half of the ending. The second half (the Mass relays parts) is identical.

"This will result in a story that diverges into wildly different conclusions based on the player's actions in the first two chapters"

THIS backslash is what you get for lying to your fanbase. If turning video games into an "Art Form" means this, being lied to by the developer, arbitrary "choices", and others I sure as HELL prefer we never reach "Art" state.

I'm ashamed of all "journalists" crying about how "the medium was set back", "gamer entitlement", "arrogant gamers", "self entitled gamers", and things like that. I've never been more DISGUSTED by a medium like the Gaming Journalism after this

Denamic:
Really?
They're surprised?
It's strange to them that a great story that players literally have hundreds of hours invested in angers players when there's literally no good ending no matter what you do. You just pick an ending at the end, and nothing you've done so far will be reflected upon even slightly.

There's a difference between a bittersweet ending and a complete bullshit cop out that not only does not leave an untold number of things unanswered, but prompts even more questions.

Really? That's it? People are bitching because the story ends a tragedy? Maybe the point is that it doesn't matter what you do. I think that it's a valid artistic statement. You "fans" have to stop your bitching.

Gamers are certainly a melodramatic bunch.

Bocaj2000:
Really? That's it? People are bitching because the story ends a tragedy? Maybe the point is that it doesn't matter what you do. I think that it's a valid artistic statement. You "fans" have to stop your bitching.

You missed the point of that post completely.

It never was about having a "tragedy end". Most of us expected it.

What was lame was the entire disregard for estabilished canon, the useless sacrifice shepard did (since the entire galactic community will die) and the choices we made (and the whole war "thingies" I can't remember the name you gather at me3) doesn't matter.

I suggest you to watch this video. It got really nice, well thought arguments about that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E

Seatownstriker:
I see alot of people mad about no closure, and no choices. I saw plenty of choices through the game. I agree it might have been better they had not made all those promises and you just played the game. As far as closure goes, yeah it would be nice to have that. But what if they didn't do it because they were making another game. I just remember hearing something about this was just the end of Shepard's story and not the end of the Mass Effect universe. But that could be me just dreaming.
Nothing is ever set in stone. But would more choices make the ending that much better? If it was indoctrination, I would almost consider that more badass that he overcame something, nobody else had. Something that had been improved upon over thousands, even millions of years, and Shepard overcame it?

Explain to me how all the choices in Mass Effect 1-3 have absolutely any effect on the endin of Mass Effect 3? Remember that amazin moral dilemma in Mass Effect 2 where you need to decide whether to mind control the renegade geth or blow them up? Really great stuff right there. Fast forward to the end of Mass Effect 3, how in any way shape or form did that decision which should have had lastin impact on the universe changed anythin? Or how about the Rachni in Mass Effect 1? What about the decision to save the council in the first game?

Now how about the decisions in Mass Effect 3. Say you are unable to get the Geth and Quarians to team up. How in any way does your endin differ from someone who actually did stop them and get them to reconcile? It didn't, at all. Because of the retarded war assets a person who did fuck all to get the galaxy ready for the final fight can have the exact same, literal carbon copy, endin as someone who carefully prepared for the end. Do you not realize how, in a series that prides itself so much on player choice matterin, that is completely fucked.

This is whole ME ending scandal is almost a genius marketing scheme....the DLC sales will be....................immense.

I'm still hoping the ending falls under the 'indoctrination' theory. I do, it's looking less and less likely with every statement they make. And yeah I know it 'stinks of desperation'. But I still hope that this was the plan from the beginning. It's not likely but if it was if it IS. They'd have pulled off something amazing.

Sadly the cynic in me is more then willing to belief they fucked up five+ years of writing, Plot, and Character development to pull off some avant-grade art house BS. Which...no I don't have any respect for. Call me a close minded bastard if you want. I don't care I just want a good ending.

Yes...a GOOD ending, I want at least a chance at a happy ending, Different from the ones we got, not just closure, not just an explanation I want a happy ending no wait let me rephrase that. I want the CHANCE to get the happy ending. I don't care if I have to work my ass off for it, if I have to do Multiplayer I was planning on it anyway when we got Geth up in there. But I want the shot the chance the CHOICE. Does everyone have to live? No...should everyone get the CHANCE to live. Yes. That's what, to me, Mass Effect, at least with Shepard's story, has been about overcoming all odds and somehow walking away from it all to fight another day.

And again: Please let the indoctrination theory be true. Just....for something to make sense.

Mr Ink 5000:
Explaining why the Normandy was mid jump while a war was still raging on would be a nice start.

Honestly, at this point, that would make me happy. That's my biggest beef. I can explain the rest of the stupid ending in my mind, but I can't begin to come up with a scenario that explains why/how Joker is fleeing the battle with the two people that I was assaulting the reapers with to crash on random planet.

We realize our fans are fucking losers and that the promise of fucking Tali for another couple decades was their only reason for living so we're gonna fix the ending where you unite the entire fucking universe to defeat something that has been destroying civilizations for millions of years. Because games aren't art. You win.

I refuse to believe they thought the ending was good, it almost defies belief how out of the spirit of the series it is. It's short, poorly done, virtually no difference for the "multiple endings" and gave nothing back in the form of closure or answers and is absolutely infested with plot holes.

As well crafted as the rest of the game and the series is, it's a real mind fuck how hard they dropped the ball in the last 10 minutes.

Too all the people defending it, you're wrong. Yes, me, who always says everyone is entitled to their own opinion is saying you're just flat wrong. It's not artistic decision, it's just plain bad. If you paint a big beautiful canvas that evokes emotion and wonder at it's masterful nature, and then you slap some crappy drunken finger painting in the middle people are going to notice and going to point out how it doesn't fit in with the rest and in fact ruins the whole with it's presence.

Leximodicon:
I'd patch in about 2 minutes of text saying all this shit that characters did after the explosion, then told everyone to fuck off. The game isn't perfect, live with it.

That is what I would have wanted. A cool cut-scene (What we have) with some stills afterwards with some guy explaining how your actions have changed the galaxy in the next 10/20 years.

Heck, text scroll with music in the background would have been nice (if a little cheap). I can't help but think this ending was limited by the "Shoot stuff, ignore story" gameplay mode because the people who would choose that mode wouldn't give two damns about the ending... So Bioware went for the bare minimum to save money.

I'm actually disappointed that they're caving. There's various animations, bugs and images that certainly need repairing, but they shouldn't change the ending and story because people don't like it.

Game's aren't art. Stories are.

Call it "art" all you like, Ray, but if you keep fucking it up, pissing off the people who buy the "art", then charging them to correct it (DLC), you'll be out of business sooner than you think.

It's not as bad as it could have been (which would have been 'LolFuckYou') but the statement really smacks of insincerity when he feels the need to justify the game beyond the core issue. The game is great, but we all know the reason you're saying something is because of the ending and the reaction thereof. Talk about the ending, address the fans - don't say 'Well we know you have concerns but did you see all these perfect scores we got?' It somewhat invalidates any real empathy we could have sensed.

You also don't get to call your own creation art, in my book. It's not a catch all response to criticism. Something needs to reach a certain level to actually become an artistic endeavor and while the rest of Mass Effect - the whole damn series - could reach that point, for me, the ending simply does not.

I... i... I'm sorry but I still can't get over the FTC complaint over false advertising bit...
WHAT? I just... what?

Of course there's going to be closure. Hell, post-game DLC was a given. And check this out:

http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/03/indoctrination-theory-proof-of-me3-ending-dlc/

It's highly unlikely that the "end" of ME3 was the true finale.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here