BioWare Co-Founder Promises Closure For Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

The endings were just bad!
This video explains why.

This is a potential counter argument but it does not address several plot holes and generally bad execution.

Do not tell me no shit about artistic integrity.

hurricanejbb:
Of course there's going to be closure. Hell, post-game DLC was a given. And check this out:

http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/03/indoctrination-theory-proof-of-me3-ending-dlc/

It's highly unlikely that the "end" of ME3 was the true finale.

It has arrived. The dawn of integral game components being shaved off to be sold as DLC like the endings.

Oh really? New games and DLC for us to buy? You're too kind.

I stand by my opinion that the ending of Mass Effect 3 was a marketing choice, and has as much to do with 'artistic integrity' as... you know what, I can't think of an appropriate analogy. Basically, it has nothing to do with artistic choice, and I'm almost certain we'll be hearing how it was forced on the devs in a few years time.

i feel so much better now. (sarcasm)
the ending just sucks and once a DLC will come out, it better be free. because i payed for a full game with a full ending, not half a game were i have to get a DLC to see how it really ends.
nice of him to step up but his explanation is still weak.

RJ Dalton:
Good God. What was so horrible about the ending that it garners this sort of attention and demands this sort of a response? You'd think the game disc had been designed to explode and fire shards of glass into your head or something the way people bang on about it.
I mean, Hollywood has produced one disappointing pile of lazy shit after another, but nobody gets on Hollywood's case. Wassup wit dat!?!?

yeah but the difference is that you have people playing a series that boasts personal choice, where your actions matter for upwards of 100 hours and they finish it all off with a vague, confusing ending where all those consequences are pointless and thats plagerised the ending from deus ex..

mass effect is an experiment in player directed narrative over multiple games and for that to be taken in the last 5 minutes of 100 hours yeah its pissed people off.

personally im over it.. i loved mass effect, and the ending left me disappointed and flat. i dot care about a future dlc ending or otherwise, the damage is done. even trying to replay ME3 i kept being struck with "why bother?". i didnt personally believe 5 minutes at the end could retroactively wreck the experience but it did for me.

beniki:

I stand by my opinion that the ending of Mass Effect 3 was a marketing choice, and has as much to do with 'artistic integrity' as... you know what, I can't think of an appropriate analogy. Basically, it has nothing to do with artistic choice, and I'm almost certain we'll be hearing how it was forced on the devs in a few years time.

They had another ending that made more sense that they scrapped when half the people writing it either left or got laid off. Then they made a new one in the span of the last half a year (Probably less) or so.

Thank goodness they replied because there was nothing about their promises of "different" endings in what they gave us. Artistic integrity nonsense. That doesn't stop people from calling you out on something crappy.

I'm actually just as upset at everyone defending that like it means something. I don't care about it being art. That makes it sound pretentious, I just want it to be taken seriously. I want to be able to say "That studio is like Pixar, but in videogames. They are that awesome. They tell a story and make you care about the characters and entertain you." I want it to not be seen as a thing only for geeks and loners.

If people can call out Bullshit on Shamalayan movies and Stephanie Meyer books, why can't we do the same here? They have just as much artistic integrity as Hudson and Walters do. we criticize them and call out when we think something is just crap. Hell, Meyer still thinks her books are great, but she's not writing much any more is she? Bioware can play that card too, but eventually people will stop buying their stuff out of avoiding dissapointment.

They made an epic trilogy and decided to end it with a twist as a cop out to justify DLC, but I know they can make satisfying endings or at least endings that make sense. They've done it for a bunch of other games. Jade Empire had an ending that changed based on what you did or didn't do and it was freaking text based. I enjoyed that more than the three color nonsense.

They can pretend to hide behind art, but I'm not going to go out and pay for a Picasso painting because I don't like it. I'm not going to commission that guy who painted Iron Man's face in pee for something nice to put on my wall. If I want a game with a satisfying ending, then I might not get that unless people get super pissed.

This whole thing could have been avoided if they just put an ending that could at least bring closure, not bring more questions and effectively kill the more at the same time. It's almost as bad as Fable 2....

....wow, that was cathartic....

Well what a circus this turned out to be...
I wish that they don't change a thing.

If you are unhappy with this or any other ending: don't play the game, don't like the game, but live with it, same goes for books, movies, TV shows...
I didn't like the Deus Ex HR ending at all, but the game was fun, and I will play it again probably. I hated the fact that Fallout has become a quasi FPS, but F3 and NV were somewhat fun, not close to originals, but fun.

My point is the ending doesn't make a good game, esspecially in RPGs. And the more time the developers spend pleasing every fanboy, the less time they spend thinking of ways to make any future game ending suck less.

Ezekiel T Bluff:
My point is the ending doesn't make a good game, esspecially in RPGs. And the more time the developers spend pleasing every fanboy, the less time they spend thinking of ways to make any future game ending suck less.

Nonsense.

This isn't a case of developers dropping to their knees and changing everything for the sake of a few people who didn't like it, this is the case of a business responding to its consumer base. The amount of disappointment over the ending is absolutely amazing. In most polls, over 90% of fans were displeased. I can't think of anything that has failed this badly to live up to consumer expectations.

Bioware have a responsibility to do something. Why? Because they want to ensure the commercial success of their company and they need to ensure their fan base continues to engage in their product in a positive light.

This nonsense of "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T PLAY IT" would be catastrophic for Bioware. They'd lose thousands of consumers and don't underestimate how damaging a pissed off fan base can be.

They don't want that - so they are fixing it.

Another reason why I don't like your post was you were making this out to be all due to difference of opinion. I think it's deeper than that. I think Bioware objectively dropped the ball on their ending. I think the ending was bad. Not "in my opinion" or anything like that, I believe it was objectively flat out bad.

I explain why here:

I'm fine with a depressing ending, I just ask two things:

1. That the ending matches the theme and tone of the game. This didn't.

2. The ending has falling action and resolution. We put hundreds of hours into this game and got about 20 seconds of "resolution". That's what really annoyed me. I thought not only was it a bad decision, it was a dick move and it showed little respect on Bioware's behalf.

I agree with you on that one. It would be catastrophic for Bioware. But I think they already lost a part of their consumers. For some people the damage is already done, and I find it insulting if they try to repair the damage with DLC. They should have made a better ending in the first place.

Nikolaz72:

beniki:

They had another ending that made more sense that they scrapped when half the people writing it either left or got laid off. Then they made a new one in the span of the last half a year (Probably less) or so.

That's an interesting bit of news... do you mind if I ask where you read that? I want to find out more :)

Andy Chalk:
"Tell your friends if you feel it's a good game as a whole."

I like the if there. Ya know if you don't feel it's a good game as a whole, don't tell anybody. We don't want the bad press.

animehermit:
MovieBob has had a few interesting things to say about the ending on twitter, I'll post them here:

In response to this:

"Congratulations, "Mass Effect" crybabies. You've officially set the entire medium back a DECADE as an art form. Also, Bioware? SHAME on you for caving. You've chosen to make coloring books instead of The Mona Lisa."

and about fans wanting and demanding a new ending:

"Look, a medium can produce ART or it can produce PRODUCT. If games can be changed at the whims of fanboys, then they are just product and we have no right to demand that Ebert etc take them (or US) seriously."

Some interesting stuff.

I think moviebob is quite full of himself. Apparently consumers are not supposed to have opinions or god help them if they share them publicly!

And its funny, when Bobby boy calls something out as being shit he is a critic, but when a fan does it they are a crybaby. What tripe.

And no one is holding a gun to the developers heads, no one is forcing them to do a new ending, they could just ignore it and it would blow over in 3 months, six months tops. They are CHOOSING to make good with their fans, to listen to them and take their complaints to heart.

Apparently bob thinks that if it is going to be art the artists have to be pretentious pricks who ignore everyone and does their own thing? "Dis cant be art if artists actually listen to people! harumpf harumpf harumpf!"

Fuck that noise, I think this is a step forward, consumers are showing that they are willing to stand together on issues, and developers are willing to listen to their fans and meet them on issues.

F'Angus:
I don't think he finds it incredibly painful to hear at all...he's probably thinking "oh boy, more money from dlc"

There's only so long you can sit in an office full of people shouting out "CHA-CHING!" before it becomes physically painful.

krellen:

I don't think "take the ending of another game (Deus Ex) and paste it on ours" qualifies as "legitimately artsy".

Just because something has shown up somewhere else doesn't mean it is chained to that property It is relevant to this story. I have never played the Deus Ex games I can't speak to what the similarities are or aren't, however I will defend the artistic value of Bioware's choice. The scenario at the end of ME3 works as a method of driving the point point of the series home. All the time spent playing Shepard all the choices made the relationships forged and the characters lost, is a set up. a set up to ask one question. What kind of person are you? Not what kind of person is Shepard? Not what is best for the Galaxy? What kind of person are you? They nailed it.

Proverbial Jon:

Andy Chalk:
Muzyka wrote. "Even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that genuinely surprised us."

I don't buy this.

I do not believe that every single person within Bioware looked at the final ending and said: "Yup, that's a perfect ending to this trilogy; fans are gonna love it!"...

It is a weird thing that happens all over the world in all kinds of areas of expertise, but it seems that CEO, politicians and other people responsible for decisions are much more likely to claim "We are incompetent." than admitting they made a mistake. I'm not sure why they think that is a valid defense.

That is actually the exact opposite of what makes a scientist a good scientist. The worst that could happen in that work field is being seen as incompetent, sometimes in science that is called "Not even wrong.".

Ok, the end was badly written, lazy and thought it was being cleverer then it was. But that still doesnt invalidate it as the ending, many works of litature have bad endings. Live with it and remover it next time you hear bioware are making a game. As for "changing the ending", well that valid too, they aren't not the first authors to change a final ending, sir Arthur conan Doyle did the same with Holmes due to public pressure and it happens every day in comics. Anyway bioware are not known for their great endings, the human reaper in ME2 is till a shining example of WTF was that!?! Even ME1 ending was cringing worthy. I still have to turn away when he "poses".

It's a shame that I'll never play ME2 or ME3 because of this scandal and I think a lot of people will do the same. I bought ME1 when the economy wasn't shitty and I could afford to buy games for $60US. It was great; I played it twice, once as a good male Shepard, then as a bad female Shepard who liked to get down and dirty with blue female aliens. Heck I even enjoyed wacky-wheelin' around planets just to find stuff.

ME2 came out when I couldn't really afford to buy games. So I said to myself, by the time ME3 comes out 2 will only cost around $20US so I'll get it then I'll get 3. Maybe I would have to get 2 used, but getting 2 used and 3 new would be better for Bioware than if I never bought either.

Then this ending shitstorm hit the internet. If you frequent game review websites then you can't avoid it. Eventually I had to know what turned the 1st game that I thoroughly enjoyed into something else. So I did something horrible and went to Youtube and watched the endings.

Now I don't want to play either game. I can usually play a great game two or three times because the choices I can make significantly affect the ending. I think Bioware missed something that this recession has made abundantly clear.

The value of "art" has decreased in this recession. You couldn't sell me the Mona Lisa for one dollar because I can't eat it and if I want to look at it I'll just google Mona Lisa. So Bioware, just suck it up that your art isn't that valuable anymore and focus on making games that are entertaining and that includes an ending. "Boo hoo hoo we're artists and we can't compromise our artistic integrity!" Please

Machine Man 1992:

Why is it when people demand that a company's product live up to the MULTIPLE AND REPEATED PROMISES that the company made, assholes like you show up to belittle and demean us?

"Artistic License" is not a criticism proof shield that can be thrown up to justify bullshit.

The endings are nonsensical (within the context of the story), provide NONE of the closure we were promised, render the previous games completely irrelevant, and generally smack of just plain bad writing.

To answer your question, it's because my mother never hugged me as a child. Actually, that isn't true, my mother was/is a wonderful, caring woman. There are several reasons Really. I think the argument is wrong, so I am opposing it. I think that the issues people are having with ME3 stem from an inability to understand the concepts being presented and I think a clarified ending would compromise the integrity of the story. There are also traits of nerd culture that I am repulsed by, gaining traction through stuff like this, and most importantly it sets a president that threatens all forms of expression artistic or otherwise.

I didn't say that is was "criticism proof," I personally hated Jack's new haircut, but to argue artistic value there needs to be more than just technical nitpicks and continuity errors.

The bottom line is that the fans did not create this game, Bioware did, it is not the fans' decision how it ends. This entitlement to a "good ending" are, at best misguided fanaticism and childish petulance, but more accurately described as aggressive bullying.

Don quixote's mule:

Machine Man 1992:

Why is it when people demand that a company's product live up to the MULTIPLE AND REPEATED PROMISES that the company made, assholes like you show up to belittle and demean us?

"Artistic License" is not a criticism proof shield that can be thrown up to justify bullshit.

The endings are nonsensical (within the context of the story), provide NONE of the closure we were promised, render the previous games completely irrelevant, and generally smack of just plain bad writing.

To answer your question, it's because my mother never hugged me as a child. Actually, that isn't true, my mother was/is a wonderful, caring woman. There are several reasons Really. I think the argument is wrong, so I am opposing it. I think that the issues people are having with ME3 stem from an inability to understand the concepts being presented and I think a clarified ending would compromise the integrity of the story. There are also traits of nerd culture that I am repulsed by, gaining traction through stuff like this, and most importantly it sets a president that threatens all forms of expression artistic or otherwise.

I didn't say that is was "criticism proof," I personally hated Jack's new haircut, but to argue artistic value there needs to be more than just technical nitpicks and continuity errors.

The bottom line is that the fans did not create this game, Bioware did, it is not the fans' decision how it ends. This entitlement to a "good ending" are, at best misguided fanaticism and childish petulance, but more accurately described as aggressive bullying.

The "philosophy" of the endings or "message" has been attacked by many people who've shown to have a better grasp of philosophical theory than any supporter I've come across. Most supporters usually just stop at "you don't understand" or "it's about hope".

The ending's teleological views on evolution (yes, these are mutually exclusive) aswell as it's social darwinist approach to the nature of conlict is something you'd expect in a 19th century novel not in a 21st century game.

Anyone with even the slighest capacity for critical thought can see these endings for what they are, rushed, poorly thought out heaps of nonsense.

animehermit:
MovieBob has had a few interesting things to say about the ending on twitter, I'll post them here:

In response to this:

"Congratulations, "Mass Effect" crybabies. You've officially set the entire medium back a DECADE as an art form. Also, Bioware? SHAME on you for caving. You've chosen to make coloring books instead of The Mona Lisa."

"Look, a medium can produce ART or it can produce PRODUCT. If games can be changed at the whims of fanboys, then they are just product and we have no right to demand that Ebert etc take them (or US) seriously."

Some interesting stuff.

Then Bob should realise that the same thing happened to comics, his favourite "artform"
and by this logic neither movies (director cuts), comics (reboots) and games can be considered art. Isn't he one of the biggest crybabies complaining about Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Transformers?

He is contradicting himself. A medium can produce art and it can produce a product. No medium produces only one "thing". He argues also if it turns out to be a product the medium itself doesn't have to be taken seriously? Sorry no! "Transformers" is a product, "Breaking the Waves" is art, and both can coexist. This is just another "inconsistent industry insider defense speech".

Hell I love Mass Effect, and that includes the third installment but was absolutely let down by the endings. It was awesome up till the magic elevator and everything that followed.

I will pay for DLC, even though I feel I shouldn't have to that gives proper closure. If not could Bioware at least release a statement or a video that explains the ending and all of it's plot holes?

I had heard about the rubbish ending, it was hard to miss, so was expecting the worst and was still let down. That's gotta say something. Initially I was unphased by it. Then as I thought about it more and more I realised what a load of shit it had been. Oh well.

Gameonicon:

Then Bob should realise that the same thing happened to comics, his favourite "artform"
and by this logic neither movies (director cuts), comics (reboots) and games can be considered art. Isn't he one of the biggest crybabies complaining about Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Transformers?

Reboots and director's cuts are nowhere near the same thing. A reboot is a reinterpretation of a longstanding character or arc. A Director's Cut is a cut of a film that was intended to be the true vision of the director, but had to be cut due to budget or studio constraints.

I've never jumped onto the Mass Effect band wagon yet, but bloody hell there is alot of bitching. I'll assume the ending was as big of a cliff hanger then Pirates 2 was, but bloody hell they spent a lot of time working on it, it's not like DaVinci went "oh dear, no one likes my planes, I'll guess I'll do what they want me to do and make stone carvings from a thistle."

Point is, give them time. It's been out for what, a week or two? If its so bad, go make a mod and do it yourself. :\

FelixG:

I think moviebob is quite full of himself. Apparently consumers are not supposed to have opinions or god help them if they share them publicly!

And its funny, when Bobby boy calls something out as being shit he is a critic, but when a fan does it they are a crybaby. What tripe.

And no one is holding a gun to the developers heads, no one is forcing them to do a new ending, they could just ignore it and it would blow over in 3 months, six months tops. They are CHOOSING to make good with their fans, to listen to them and take their complaints to heart.

Apparently bob thinks that if it is going to be art the artists have to be pretentious pricks who ignore everyone and does their own thing? "Dis cant be art if artists actually listen to people! harumpf harumpf harumpf!"

Fuck that noise, I think this is a step forward, consumers are showing that they are willing to stand together on issues, and developers are willing to listen to their fans and meet them on issues.

He isn't saying not to have an opinion at all, and I have no idea where you get that.

Furthermore, with the amount of vitriolic hatred being thrown around here, it might as well be a big fucking gun pointed right at Bioware.

This isn't about listening to the fans and listening to criticism, this is about the artists right to make the thing they want. It's about creative control over something you made.

The way I see it, Bioware will roll with the Indoctrination Theory and say "Yea! that's been our masterplan all along!" , but I'll never believe it, especially if it takes them too long to release something. Too many things in it just seem too convenient to me and I believe they're just examples of bad writing. Think about it. Just like Lost, this game thing ended up getting too big, with too many characters and plot lines. Not to mention it's not even written by the same guy.

At first, the Reapers are all like "our motivations are too sophisticated, you could never understand us" *puts on hipster glasses*... and that was fine. It gave the impression that you don't wanna fuck with them. But then in ME 3 we are told their motivations are... destroying organics so they won't create synthetics that will destroy organics? Holy shit, that's so deep.

Anyway, at the end of the day, your choices never mattered so I'm not really upset that the ending was shit. The fact you can just save/reload makes every choice you make useless. Consider saving Kaidan or Ashley. Player choice! And who cares, the only difference that choice makes is who gets to have a cameo in the next games. The same thing happens with everything else. The council, Wrex, Rachni queen, etc. It doesn't matter because in the next game the only difference is that instead of Wrex, you get a guy named Not Wrex. And maybe one or two different lines of dialogue.

I've replayed ME1 many times over the years, but I just played my first Renegade Shepard in ME1 recently, and it makes absolutely no difference. I can be a total asshole and I'll still get all the side quests and shit.

Your choices don't matter at the end of the ME 3 because they never did at any point in the series.

And that little prompt at the end of the game saying "Commander Shepard saved the Galaxy! He was a hero! (by the way, there's DLC coming)" left me thinking what the fuck, fighting games have more conclusive endings than this.

Your "artistic integrity" was damaged way before the game was released. It happened the moment you decided to cheap the fuck out on the most important part of the trilogy.

All this talk of artistic integrity is, frankly, insulting, and done by people who should know better. Or is it that they know better, but think that whoever's reading what they write doesn't?

animehermit:

Gameonicon:

Reboots and director's cuts are nowhere near the same thing. A reboot is a reinterpretation of a longstanding character or arc. A Director's Cut is a cut of a film that was intended to be the true vision of the director, but had to be cut due to budget or studio constraints.

You are right but sometimes a directors cut ( http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/90132 ) changes the whole context of a movie and in the case of ME3 fans feel like they have got the "theatrical" version where some things are missing and don't make sense.

Gameonicon:

animehermit:

Gameonicon:

You are right but sometimes a directors cut ( http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/90132 ) changes the whole context of a movie and in the case of ME3 fans feel like they have got the "theatrical" version where some things are missing and don't make sense.

Not the same situation, regardless if it changes a lot, or a little from the original. In a Director's Cut, it's what the artist (this case the director) originally wanted with the film. This is not something Bioware originally wanted, it's something the fans hollered for, complained, whined and petitioned Bioware to change.

Anyone else annoyed he keeps referring to endingS, as if the game actually had multiple endings?

(and pls, nerds, don't point out he's "technically" correct, mmkay? that misses the point entirely)

animehermit:

FelixG:

He isn't saying not to have an opinion at all, and I have no idea where you get that.

Furthermore, with the amount of vitriolic hatred being thrown around here, it might as well be a big fucking gun pointed right at Bioware.

This isn't about listening to the fans and listening to criticism, this is about the artists right to make the thing they want. It's about creative control over something you made.

Calling people crybabies because they are expressing their opinions?

And again, no...no one has a gun pointed at their heads. They chose to put that shitty ending in there, if they wanted to keep it they would deal with a drastically reduced number of fans. That would be on them, as is changing the ending to make the people they upset happy.

No one is taking the artists rights away from them, they made something that people felt invested in, that people loved, then they gave them a giant middle finger with the ending, and now they are reaping the shitstorm of that. But ultimately no one can force them to redo it, they could hold their line (heh) and suffer through the criticism if they wanted.

I just want to know what drapes Tali will hang in her brand new house on Rannoch.

But an epilogue explaining what happened to the major characters and races of the galaxy would be nice too: damnit, I cried too much at too many times during the game to be left hanging now!

animehermit:

In response to this:

Some interesting stuff.

Bunch of horseshit is what it is. Any artist who's primary income comes from his art, and who extensively advertises said art beforehand, lying about it while doing so, cannot then whine about their lies and ineptitude coming back to bite them in the ass. Thus is the situation with Mass Effect 3.

The vast majority of art does not fall into the category of art for art's sake. This applies to music, movies, and even paintings. Yet these things are still very much art. The bullshit idea that art cannot be a product is entirely a manufactured status within the last 100-150 years.

animehermit:

Not the same situation, regardless if it changes a lot, or a little from the original. In a Director's Cut, it's what the artist (this case the director) originally wanted with the film. This is not something Bioware originally wanted, it's something the fans hollered for, complained, whined and petitioned Bioware to change.

Actually we do not know for sure what they have orginaly planned to do. We often don't know if there is a Director's Cut version or not. It is often released by the publisher/studio because of the success, the fanbase and most importantly for monetization.

the only way I will accept a revised ending is if they go straight into Harlan Ellison territory and make is SUPER depressing. Otherwise Bioware are officially eunuchs who have demonstrated that if fans don't get something keeps them in their safe little bubbles then they can just kick and scream because they KNOW someone might cave. FUCK GAMERS.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here