Turkish Soccer Fans Unfurl World's Biggest Trollface

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Turkish Soccer Fans Unfurl World's Biggest Trollface

Turkish soccer fans responded to a league-wide ban on flares in stadiums with what may be the biggest trollface the world has ever seen.

Soccer fans in Turkey apparently have a thing for waving around burning road flares at matches. Road flares, as anyone who's ever used one to cut a beer can in half can tell you, burn at insanely hot temperatures, which makes their use as toys in crowded, rowdy soccer stadiums a bit of potential safety issue. That led the Turkish Football Association [they call soccer "football" in Europe] to ban flares from all domestic games.

And that, in turn, led to a response from supporters of the Eskişehirspor club that can only be described as epic. How it was coordinated will likely remain a mystery forever but the net result is very possibly the biggest trollface of all time. And then, of course, came the flares.

It's hard to fault the Turkish FA for cracking down on ridiculously dangerous pyrotechnics in stadiums and I don't think anyone would deny that lighting dozens of them all at the same time under a gigantic, flammable sheet is a pretty stupid thing to do. But also awesome. Very, very awesome.

Problem?

Andy Chalk:
Problem?

Np bro. They mad cuz they bad.

Damn it, now i want to live in Turkey.

Andy Chalk:

Problem?

Yes, according to google translator it should actually be 'Sorun?'. But it's google translator so I dunno.
But still seems pretty stupid as you said. Maybe the universe was like

Andy Chalk:
It's hard to fault the Turkish FA for cracking down on ridiculously dangerous pyrotechnics in stadiums and I don't think anyone would deny that lighting dozens of them all at the same time under a gigantic, flammable sheet is a pretty stupid thing to do.

Turkey are...
U Mad bro?

I'll admit, if everone were wearing V for Vendetta masks, this would be the most awesome thing on the internet for at least a week...

Now THAT is hilarious.

(The sheet was probably made out of non-flammable materials, otherwise you'd be absolutely stupid for lighting flares under it.)

Oh god, they've escaped from the Internet.

We are all doomed. To years and years of Mad.

Andy Chalk:
they call soccer "football" in Europe

Mostly because, ya know, we actually use the feet as the main means of playing the game, unlike American 'Football'.

jurnag12:

Andy Chalk:
they call soccer "football" in Europe

Mostly because, ya know, we actually use the feet as the main means of playing the game, unlike American 'Football'.

And here I was, about to go "inb4 soccer/football flame war."

you ruined everything.

Excuse me, but us Europeans call Football Football. You Americans insinst on calling Handegg Football and Football Soccer, which is absolutely bananas.

Edit: This is Serious Business, which means I will enjoy joking about it.

Let there be no mistake: The football/soccer argument is SRS BSNS

That's hilarious.

For some reason, the flare waving, loud chanting public trolling antics of Football fans rarely fails to make me laugh.

That Turkish video reminds me of a similar, recent incident where a Polish under-8 game had to be called off because of the fans:

I know it's pretty bad (and has sinister undertones), but I find the complete inappropriateness of the fans behaviour at a kids game hilarious.

I think it's the spectacle of the flares, drumming and chanting that contrasts so much with the little children trying to clear up the mess that really amuses me.

Taluien:
Excuse me, but us Europeans call Football Football. You Americans insinst on calling Handegg Football and Football Soccer, which is absolutely bananas.

You know, I've always wondered where the hell we got the word "soccer" from. I mean, calling it "football" makes perfect sense, and I get that we people who are better at sports had to it call something different so as to avoid confusion with our vastly superior athletic pasttime, but where the hell did we get "soccer"?

Taluien:

but we can all agree that they are all girly games, real men play rugby..... and hopscotch....

OT: Damn you Turkey, you magnificent bastards.

Pssh. Real men play Rugby.

Uhm, excuse me, hi, Dutchman here. Everybody in the world calls football football, and rugby with sissy armour is called American rugby. You guys are wrong. Too much hot coffee patches in your TV's? We shall never know.

Srs bsns indeed, my dear chaps.

see, it used to be called association football, but then it was abbreviated to assoc. which then somehow translated to soccer

which is fortunate that it did not translate to assball

Everybody calls it "football" everywhere, not only in Turkey or Europe. This is, mainly, because it IS football, you have a ball and you have to kick it, with your foot. Seriously, it's not that hard....

The only part of the planet where it's called soccer in the US (& Canada apparently... and poorly translated Japanese games). The only country in the world that doesn't like real football. They have American football. Here you run with this egg-shaped ball in your arms at all times, except in this one special occasion where a designated player can kick it once...

Mhh.... sounds a lot like rugby....

That's both awesome and hilariously stupid. Even being a Trabzonspor fan myself, I have to salute them... while facepalming.

Bassik:
Uhm, excuse me, hi, Dutchman here. Everybody in the world calls football football, and rugby with sissy armour is called American rugby.

Actually, there seems to be a growing tendency even by Yanks to call it "gridiron", which has long been just slang. American rugby works too, and I've heard it used, though it doesn't do enough to distinguish it from "rugby with sissy armour but good" as seen in Canada. Or the "even tougher than rugby and STILL without sissy armour" that's played in Australia. (We Yanks aren't the only country to use the word "soccer", just one of the only.)

Bassik:
and rugby with sissy armour is called American rugby.

Who needs a full body armor to play sports anyway? Are the afraid of getting hurt?

ivc392:

Bassik:

Who needs a full body armor to play sports anyway? Are the afraid of getting hurt?

They used to play it without padding. People literally died.

Susan Arendt:

You know, I've always wondered where the hell we got the word "soccer" from. I mean, calling it "football" makes perfect sense, and I get that we people who are better at sports had to it call something different so as to avoid confusion with our vastly superior athletic pasttime, but where the hell did we get "soccer"?

The original "soc" comes from a shortened form of "Assoc.", the common abbreviation for "Football Association".

ivc392:

Bassik:

Whilst I agree that Rugby is superior to "Football", they do manage to get hurt a lot, even with all the padding, in fact there was apparently money paid by coaches to players, for players to specifically injure their opponents :-/

I see what you did there, Mr. Chalk.

Susan Arendt:

we people who are better at sports had to it call something different so as to avoid confusion with our vastly superior athletic pastime, but where the hell did we get "soccer"?

"vastly superior athletic pastime"?

Go play Australian Rugby..

everyone plays football
tough ones play rugby
crazed angry drunks play ozzie rugby

I love how a news article about Turkish football fans unfolding whats probably one of the most awesome flags in the history of the sport turns into a forum discussion about semantics and metalanguage.

SRS BSNS

And yes, this is probably one of the few threads on this entire site where you can get away with a post like that, so enjoy it.

Andy Chalk:
And yes, this is probably one of the few threads on this entire site where you can get away with a post like that, so enjoy it.

or perhaps you should get a warning for a low content post.

Enough with the football/soccer fight, we americans will watch our football and the rest of the world can have it's soccer. Let's just try to stay on the topic of how awesome this troll face is (also I can see why flares would be a safety hazard but based on the soccer riots I've seen safety is not a concern)

I don't even live in europe, but they have it right.

Susan Arendt:

Taluien:

soccer is actually a slang term developed by english/british who had come to america, and at the time it wasn't a big deal, but the thing is the people who used the term grew up to be the foundation for american soccer/football, so that's where the term began to really stick...that and american's being stubborn and not using the same terms as the english do.

so the sweet irony of it is, it was an english term, that the american's used to be different from the english.

(i don't have the direct sources for this, but it was confirmed through multiple places back when i read about it.)

So. much. win. at all the football/soccer posts. :D

Oh, and nice trollface.

Football rugby and handegg are all totaly inferior to hurling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE

Susan Arendt:

Taluien:

The term "Soccer" actually comes from England

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

So I don't know why the hell people get all angry about it when Americans are saying it correctly.

*raises flameshield*

Andy Chalk:
[they call soccer "football" in Europe] to ban flares from all domestic games.

Its the other way around, you call American hand egg "football".

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here