Turkish Soccer Fans Unfurl World's Biggest Trollface

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Andy Chalk:
SRS BSNS

......What?

Please forgive my lack of information. I have been "in" the internet for a good few years now, but I have tried to "avoid" learning/using internet "language" other then what is most needed/ unavoidable.

So, what does......that/those (words?) mean?

Was it really necessary to explain to us what soccer is called in Europe? Felt a little patronizing.

Imp Emissary:

Andy Chalk:
SRS BSNS

......What?

Please forgive my lack of information. I have been "in" the internet for a good few years now, but I have tried to "avoid" learning/using internet "language" other then what is most needed/ unavoidable.

It means Serious business

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-internet-is-serious-business

ivc392:

Susan Arendt:

we people who are better at sports had to it call something different so as to avoid confusion with our vastly superior athletic pastime, but where the hell did we get "soccer"?

"vastly superior athletic pastime"?

Go play Australian Rugby..

everyone plays football
tough ones play rugby
crazed angry drunks play ozzie rugby

We call it Australian Rules Football over here in Australia. No padding, brawls are frequent, all-in brawls are a bit rarer nowadays and the grounds are not nearly as muddy as they used to be but there are still come rather heavy knocks, concussions, lost teeth, broken bones, torn muscles and all sort of other injuries.

RaNDM G:
Pssh. Real men play Rugby.

Kalezian:
But we can all agree that they are all girly games, real men play rugby..... and hopscotch....

Terribly sorry gents but you're both wrong (except on hopscotch)

Now THAT is a manly sport.

My hometown (Eskişehir) is featured in the Escapist. I will live the rest of my days as a happy man...

Maybe there should be different spellings of Football for Americans and Europeans.

I'm thinking FOOTBAAAAAALL for the Americans, in caps of course seeing as they usually shout it anyway.

On topic: That is actually amazing, Turkish Football fans never cease to amaze me, ever.

Tzzzz. Amateurs. The Brits and Germans do more stunning shit every single weekend. But I guess this one is special because its a trollface and everyone knows le trollfaces are so le funny xDxDxDxD epic for the win

To everyone clueing me in on the origin of the term "soccer", thank you! You guys are really cool. :)

Troooolllll lol lo lo lol lol lol lolllllllll ohhh lol ohh lol lo ohhh lol lol lo lo lo lol oh lol ohh lol lol lol!!!!

I love their chant. Turkey just served the world, an odd reversal don't you think? Problem?

Xan Krieger:
or perhaps you should get a warning for a low content post.

low content? HE WROTE THE DAMN ARTICLE.

on topic: this is very nice indeed.
wish more people would do that XD
Oh, also: "football" > "soccer", metric > Imperial, PS3 > 360, Mac > PC...
(ok, I lied on that last part)

Tubez:

Imp Emissary:

Andy Chalk:
SRS BSNS

......What?

It means Serious business

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-internet-is-serious-business

Oh, okay. Thanks pal. Especially for including the origin of it.

I now proclaim this the meme party thread! POST SOME MEMES!

Problem?

Rainforce:

Xan Krieger:
or perhaps you should get a warning for a low content post.

low content? HE WROTE THE DAMN ARTICLE.

on topic: this is very nice indeed.
wish more people would do that XD
Oh, also: "football" > "soccer", metric > Imperial, PS3 > 360, Mac > PC...
(ok, I lied on that last part)

I'm talking about the post where he just said "SRS BSNS
" and that's it. That's a very low content post.

I don't understand the people who are calling this 'Epic'. Flares were banned because they were incredibly dangerous...so OBVIOUSLY the thing to do here is light a bunch of them at the same time. These are the people I want as a part of functioning society.

Pssh, look at this nonsense. Everyone knows Hockey is the sport of real men. It's a sport so manly it makes it's fans grow giant beards. Soccer and Football just make them yell about like sissies and apply paints to their body in a pretense of putting on their war attire.

Also, excellent trollface, Turkey. I ain't even mad, bro.

le trollface xDDDDDD reddit srs bsns lol so funneh
Maybe it's 4chan's fault, but seeing memes spammed stupidly just infuriates me.

ivc392:
Everybody calls it "football" everywhere, not only in Turkey or Europe. This is, mainly, because it IS football, you have a ball and you have to kick it, with your foot. Seriously, it's not that hard....

The only part of the planet where it's called soccer in the US (& Canada apparently... and poorly translated Japanese games). The only country in the world that doesn't like real football. They have American football. Here you run with this egg-shaped ball in your arms at all times, except in this one special occasion where a designated player can kick it once...

Mhh.... sounds a lot like rugby....

Except anyone can kick it in rugby, and in rugby people end up missing ears.

Football fans are the best in the world, any game you go on will have at least some banter, and this is top of the tree.

I can understand you naming it soccer on the front page but why explain it, why?!

Andy Chalk:
SRS BSNS

...Say my name?

Still not as cool as Korean soccer fans:

Edit:

Srsly.

Susan Arendt:

Taluien:
Excuse me, but us Europeans call Football Football. You Americans insinst on calling Handegg Football and Football Soccer, which is absolutely bananas.

Edit: This is Serious Business, which means I will enjoy joking about it.

You know, I've always wondered where the hell we got the word "soccer" from. I mean, calling it "football" makes perfect sense, and I get that we people who are better at sports had to it call something different so as to avoid confusion with our vastly superior athletic pasttime, but where the hell did we get "soccer"?

I want to know where you got "Football" from for American Football. You know, because it's not really a game played with the feet so much as the hands instead.

Oh football in America. A bunch of wimps get dressed up in forty pounds of padding to play rugby. Over here in actually-naming-things-correctly England we play football with our feet and when we tackle people we do it by ramming our shoulder bones as hard as we can into someone elses midriff.

Try it sometime America.

It isnt as insane as you think lighting the flares under the sheet. They had holes to put the flares through.

Hahahaha so funni face.

So ramdumb.

Ex dee.

U can see the 2 large groups of people in Orange uniforms who i bet were there for safety.
It was well organised for sure but it wasnt a Troll event per say. They must`ve asked.

At the begining i saw the yellow security guards at the bottom left and laughed because i realised they couldnt do anything. 5/6 guys against a thousand fans maybe? But after they removed the sheet i saw the orange guys during the zoom in and it was clearly co-ordinated with authorities from the stadium. Unless fans who happened to be firefighters joined in or something.

Even the football teams kind of stopped playing for a bit and were wondering if they should keep going or not. :D Pretty EPIC yes :D Id like to see something like this during a Champion`s League Match xD

So we're celebrating stupidity now are we? I would've laughed extremely hard if they'd all gotten severe burns from that stunt.

Hmm... having read this article and its following discussion in this thread, I guess that only actual tad of information that I can take away from this is the confirmation that Turkey is indeed connected to the internet (and accounts for at least some of the trolls you run into online).

also..
football - the game watched and loved my millions that involves kicking ball into goal (for the intellectually challenged who fail to understand this the ball is also called a 'football.' Unfortunately America didn't understand this - they picked up an egg and called it a football).

American football = rugby + loads of safety equipment + beer

soccer = figment of American imagination.

I'm not exactly certain of this but some time ago I read that American football came into being when some chaps were playing 'actual football,' when some douche picked up the ball and started running with it. The rest of players, obviously infuriated gave chase. At some point, I'm assuming alcohol may also have been involved.

Susan Arendt:
... had to it call something different so as to avoid confusion with our vastly superior athletic pasttime..

As a european, I have to agree with football being better than soccer. I'll watch when Sweden plays in a qualifier or championship, but other than that I'll just ignore soccer. The fact that I also play football has absolutely nothing to do with it, not at all.

... Go Truckers!

Ahem.
OT: That's hysterical. They banned roadflares here in Sweden a few years ago, but there was never a response as awesome as this. The fans just complained and kept bringing the flares to the games.

ivc392:

Bassik:
and rugby with sissy armour is called American rugby.

Who needs a full body armor to play sports anyway? Are the afraid of getting hurt?

Funnily enough, when you're wearing pads you feel like you can hit people harder because the force of your hit doesn't bounce back on you so hard, so you end up getting amazing hits. I say this as a fan of rugby over american football.

Oh, I suppose people died too...

weirdguy:
see, it used to be called association football, but then it was abbreviated to assoc. which then somehow translated to soccer

which is fortunate that it did not translate to assball

More like unfortunate. Can you imagine how popular soccer would be in the States if it was called Assball?

I remember when it was called coolface.

Susan Arendt:

Taluien:
Excuse me, but us Europeans call Football Football. You Americans insinst on calling Handegg Football and Football Soccer, which is absolutely bananas.

You know, I've always wondered where the hell we got the word "soccer" from. I mean, calling it "football" makes perfect sense, and I get that we people who are better at sports had to it call something different so as to avoid confusion with our vastly superior athletic pasttime, but where the hell did we get "soccer"?

Taluien:

Well according to a couple of the Facebook posts. Soccer was origianally called Soccer by the Brittish and it started getting called it over here before they changed it to football, also still according to the Facebook posts its known as soccer in America, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Canada and Ireland.

Since its a facebook post I don't know how valid it is. Just thought I would throw that out there though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here