Gamers Ship 400 Cupcakes to BioWare in Protest of Mass Effect 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

EvilChameleon:
400 cupcakes can not be divided evenly into 3 different colors.

Yeah, that bugged me too. Who can't do math over there? Or maybe Mike is just rounding again.

Evil Alpaca:

Lakart:
I dunno, if I worked at BioWare this would seem like more of a reason to put out controversial and rage inducing endings in the hopes of free baked goods. Making people happy makes them like you, but apparently making them froth with rage gets you cupcakes.

Would you eat cupcakes from fans who are pissed at the ending, some of whom have sent death threats?

I think this may be a sophisticated means of torturing the staff. Conversation would be

"We got sent cupcakes from fans pissed about the ending for the game."

"What's wrong with them?"

"Dunno, you try one."

"Me? You try one."

Meanwhile 400 cupcakes go stale in front of the Bioware staff because each is too afraid to try.

You vastly underestimate the power of cupcakes. I imagine they'll be gone entirely within two days.

Draech:

xXxJessicaxXx:

Draech:

Yeah they have legitimate criticism. I said that already. And you still ignore it. It doesn't matter.

Fans are acting like spoiled children is still fans acting like spoiled children. You act like "Retake Mass Effect" is justified while you never owned it. You just played it.
You can pretend that Review Bombing can only be done by a minority, while that is literally impossible.

Even then it doesn't matter because it comes down to fans thinking that they either have or should have the right to force someones to change their creative work.

That you refuse to look that in the eye and just go "You just want them to be the bad guyes" while you look away.

I am a fan of the series. I dislike the ending, but I am not going to make a FFC complaint, a fund raiser or a petition to make a funking video game conform to my expectations.

I am going to move the fuck on while every idiot related to the "Retake ME" manneged to make the world a tiny bit worse.

Yeah I'm sure the $80,000 they raised for sick children made the world a terrible place! People complained about the ending to Fallout 3, they changed it, and the world didn't end.

I didn't partake in the Retake Mass Effect 3 movement either but I'm not going to make them out as villains when all they have done is tried to be constructive and positive.

I would be more supportive of this 'defend artistic integrity!' point of view if the ending actually had any effort put into it. It feels like people arguing over whether to paint over some crappy graffiti in a park...

Unless you can tell me with a strait face that you cannot raise 80k without entitled twats behind it then you got nothing.

Have you raised $80.000 for charity at any point?

I don't think name calling is warranted either. The retake guys have been civil throughout all of this and have even been very supportive of Jessica Merizen the Bioware community manager.

But, despite their flavour, at the end of the day, Bioware still has 400 delicious cupcakes, so by that fan's logic, regardless of their appearance, the game is still highly satisfactory, with the mild disappointment of similar flavour being negated by the whole "having a good experience/cupcake to begin with".

I don't know if that made sense, but that "protest" seems more of a thank you for an over all good experience, rather than a damning critique of their story telling ability.

Draech:

xXxJessicaxXx:
[quote="Draech" post="7.358277.14164620"]snip

Even then it doesn't matter because it comes down to fans thinking that they either have or should have the right to force someones to change their creative work.

When you're paying $60+ for a product, yeah, I think those protesting have the right to some form of opinion on where the creative work should go. People seem to keep confusing this kind of art with other forms. This isn't like a painting in an art gallery, you don't see the finished product before you buy it. Most people have paid over $200 across 5 years for a story that was supposedly molded by their decisions throughout that story. When they felt the ending was sub-par and not what was promised, they did what most people resort to at first: complain. Quite frankly they're allowed to, they are consumers after all.

That complaining morphed itself into a coherent protest for the most part, and is now using passive-aggressive methods to convey that protest. Yes there have been hiccups do to the less intelligent thralls sabotaging the movements with their greed; those people, for lack of a better comparison, are basically the terrorist groups of this protest. They are in the minority and use less than admirable words and actions to voice their opinion. That shouldn't result in the rest of the group, who is fighting for a peaceful compromise, having their name and intentions sullied by being lumped in with their inbred cousins.

Sorry for the tl;dr.

Also, captcha = "know your rights". I swear it's like the Escapist knows what you're trying to say before you type it...

Dr. Dice Lord:

Yes because if there's anything that makes this world a worse place its people expressing their opinions of dissatisfaction. Not murder, war, poverty, disease, or bigotry, but people being dissatisfied with a product. We should all take it sitting down and lap up every little drop in expectation or quality happily. What exactly makes you so loyal to the developer's "artistic integrity"? I really don't get people like you, mate. You're making yourself look very ignorant.

Lol

Well that shut me up.... no wait.
Let us see the guy using "artistic integrity" without understanding the basic of what is going on.

And comparing people wanting to change a creative work, to wanting to stop war. Good game mate. Who is the ignorant one again?

Let me draw you a parallel.
The people who want to ban video games want to enforce conformity. Everyone should think like they do. Be forced to only do things they accept.

The people who want to force the ending changed. Same funking thing. They want to have the right to decided what is an acceptable ending and what isn't and only allow what they accept. That you are part of that group doesn't change the method of the group. It is censorship by popular vote. And I dont like that because I dont want that to happen to me.

Dont misunderstand me. I dont like the ending. I wish it was different. But I only want Bioware to change it if they dont like the ending.

edit

I'VE HAD ENOUGH! Why oh why do you people keep complaining about a product the majority of people love? Lot's of people like vanilla okay. LOT OF US! Not just the profession cupcake critics, who ARE NOT, in the pocket of the International Vanilla Baked Goods developers. Entitled twats!

If I were Bioware I still wouldn't change the ending....I'd just eat the cupcakes and say thanks.

ha thats clever. well done on your protest

Bluesclues:

Draech:

xXxJessicaxXx:
[quote="Draech" post="7.358277.14164620"]snip

When you're paying $60+ for a product, yeah, I think those protesting have the right to some form of opinion on where the creative work should go. People seem to keep confusing this kind of art with other forms. This isn't like a painting in an art gallery, you don't see the finished product before you buy it. Most people have paid over $200 across 5 years for a story that was supposedly molded by their decisions throughout that story. When they felt the ending was sub-par and not what was promised, they did what most people resort to at first: complain. Quite frankly they're allowed to, they are consumers after all.

That complaining morphed itself into a coherent protest for the most part, and is now using passive-aggressive methods to convey that protest. Yes there have been hiccups do to the less intelligent thralls sabotaging the movements with their greed; those people, for lack of a better comparison, are basically the terrorist groups of this protest. They are in the minority and use less than admirable words and actions to voice their opinion. That shouldn't result in the rest of the group, who is fighting for a peaceful compromise, having their name and intentions sullied by being lumped in with their inbred cousins.

Sorry for the tl;dr.

Also, captcha = "know your rights". I swear it's like the Escapist knows what you're trying to say before you type it...

Like Moviebob said. Buy your ticket. Take your chances.

If you cant handle the risk of getting something you dont like, dont ever take any chances. And you would never have enjoyed anything.

Dont overstate your position in the scheme of things just because you paid. If you are paying for the artistic talent, then you get something you cannot control. That is the end of it.

If you are upset with this I suggets "FarmVille"
Currently the product of the most metrics in the world of gaming. This is what you get when you let popular opinion control development.

you have to admit as far as gamer rage goes this is all getting very hilarious. =D

Draech:

Dr. Dice Lord:

Yes because if there's anything that makes this world a worse place its people expressing their opinions of dissatisfaction. Not murder, war, poverty, disease, or bigotry, but people being dissatisfied with a product. We should all take it sitting down and lap up every little drop in expectation or quality happily. What exactly makes you so loyal to the developer's "artistic integrity"? I really don't get people like you, mate. You're making yourself look very ignorant.

Lol

Let us see the guy using "artistic integrity" without understanding the basic of what is going on.

And comparing people wanting to change a creative work, to wanting to stop war. Good game mate. Who is the ignorant one again?

The people who want to ban video games want to enforce conformity. Everyone should think like they do. Be forced to only do things they accept.

The people who want to force the ending changed. Same funking thing. They want to have the right to decided what is an acceptable ending and what isn't and only allow what they accept. That you are part of that group doesn't change the method of the group. It is censorship by popular vote. And I dont like that because I dont want that to happen to me.

Dont misunderstand me. I dont like the ending. I wish it was different. But I only want Bioware to change it if they dont like the ending.

Look up the word hyperbole and maybe you'll understand my previous post a little better. When did I say I think everyone should think like I do? When did the Retake movement claim that every person with a copy of Mass Effect 3 has to conform to their definition of what the ending should be? When did they type out a word-for-word script for exactly how the ending should be changed and then declare its cannon? When did the Retake movement force you to download a new piece of content and replay the ending of the game whether you wanted to or not?

Its not censorship by vote, its people expressing an opinion of dissatisfaction and asking, largely politely, for a change. There just happens to be more than a few of us, and in your eyes this makes us wrong and entitled. All I can suggest is that you deal with it since most of us aren't going to change our opinions.

Its clear that you're dead-set in your opinion of scorn towards this movement. I wish more people could see past their own misconceptions about our objectives and the bad apples that sully every party. If you truly think that we're making the world a worse place, that's your opinion. I just happen to think that's a highly irrational and reactionary point of view your continuing to spout.

Classy raging, didn't know it existed.

:) I love this so much. I don't even know why but I find this a brilliant tactic.

Dr. Dice Lord:

Draech:

Dr. Dice Lord:

Lol

Look up the world hyperbole and maybe you'll understand my previous post a little better. When did I say I think everyone should think like I do? When did the Retake movement claim that every person with a copy of Mass Effect 3 has to conform to their definition of what the ending should be? When did they type out a word-for-word script for exactly how the ending should be changed and then declare its cannon? When did the Retake movement force you to download a new piece of content and replay the ending of the game whether you wanted to or not?

Its not censorship by vote, its people expressing an opinion of dissatisfaction and asking, largely politely, for a change. There just happens to be more than a few of us, and in your eyes this makes us wrong and entitled. All I can suggest is that you deal with it since most of us aren't going to change our opinions.

Its clear that you're dead-set in your opinion of scorn towards this movement. I wish more people could see past their own misconceptions about our objectives and the bad apples that sully every party. If you truly think that we're making the world a worse place, that's your opinion. I just happen to think that's a highly irrational and reactionary point of view your continuing to spout.

If it just you voicing your opinion fair enough.

I have no problem with that.
As long as you dont try to enforce it on others. And a large amount of fans are. Hence the retoric of "Deserve" and "Demand" being used.

Draech:

As long as you dont try to enforce it on others.

While I want a downloadable, expanded ending, I don't want to enforce that on everyone. In an ideal outcome those who didn't want it wouldn't have to download it, and could continue to enjoy the game how they want.

We just want the varied endings we were promised, that's all. I'd be angry too if this change forced non-members into spending money or being forced to download my desired change in order to play the game.

I like it. Very very nice =)

thomaskattus:
It seems to me that sending them cupcakes, even with a message is more a reward than a protest.

Not if they are laced with cyanide.

Dr. Dice Lord:

Draech:

As long as you dont try to enforce it on others.

While I want a downloadable, expanded ending, I don't want to enforce that on everyone. In an ideal outcome those who didn't want it wouldn't have to download it, and could continue to enjoy the game how they want.

We just want the varied endings we were promised, that's all. I'd be angry too if this change forced non-members into spending money or being forced to download my desired change in order to play the game.

Ah so you dont want to force the audience to change their ending, but you would like to force the developer to change it. That is the same thing for me.

The problem with paying for an exp is that you have to be at the mercy of the artist. You cannot control everything. You can set some basic frames, but if they are followed you have to give up. You are paying for the artistic talents of the creator. If you wanted full control you need to make it yourself.

That the artist needs to improve his skills to transfer the desired exp is of course. An artist without the skills to transfer the desired exp is a cold and hungry artist. But at the end of the day we are paying for his/her ideas and his/her method of expressing them. Like Bob said. Buy your ticket. Take your chances.

The cupcakes should have had hardly any flavor. That would send the message across about how cruel it is for ME3 to have such a tasteless ending.

EvilChameleon:

The last one will contain all three colors.

Draech:
snip

Yes, but where I and I'm sure a lot of people disagree with MovieBob is that movies are never in the hands of the moviegoer to begin with. Unless a movie is based on a book, a comic or a TV show, you have no control over what happens in the story; by that I mean, the fanbase does not dictate the basic plot points of the story, because you were not aware of the story beforehand. Nor do most people go into a new movie with overly high expectations (in the event that there are disappointed, such as with this topic).

I have to express the interactive story in the ME because the above was not the case here. You were given a story that was meant to be told by you and me, the players. Your story could vastly differ from mine in many major ways. It simply does not make sense that our story should end with the same basic moral and cinematic, which is why so many people are up in arms about it. And again, they have a right to be, they are consumers. That's not to say that protest can't ruin a franchise even more (for example, what happened with Venom in Spider-man 3 after people found out he wasn't going to be in it), but by the same token the protest could result in something positive for everyone (example: the Broken Steel DLC for FO3).

Anyway, I'm getting away from the point; it's not wrong for the people who are dissatisfied to be actively but politely protesting their dissatisfaction. And Bioware has always represented itself to be open to suggestion from the fanbase as to where they should take things, so it's not wrong for them to consider at least add something as a response to this outcry, either. I do, however, disagree in the demand of a complete overhaul of the ending, and I agree with you that those people shouldn't force that opinion on others.

Personally, I think this whole "retake Mass Effect" thing has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the deep end. =/ It just reinforces the stereotype of core gamers being whingy entitled little shits.

However, I can't deny the choice of 3 sets of cupcakes in different colours tasting the same amused me. =3 I like metaphors.

EDIT: To clarify- I haven't played ME3 yet, but when it comes to criticising something your criticism should ALWAYS be constructive. If what you're planning on saying isn't constructive, keep your opinion to yourself: you're not helping.

Bluesclues:

Draech:
snip

Yes, but where I and I'm sure a lot of people disagree with MovieBob is that movies are never in the hands of the moviegoer to begin with. Unless a movie is based on a book, a comic or a TV show, you have no control over what happens in the story; by that I mean, the fanbase does not dictate the basic plot points of the story, because you were not aware of the story beforehand. Nor do most people go into a new movie with overly high expectations (in the event that there are disappointed, such as with this topic).

I have to express the interactive story in the ME because the above was not the case here. You were given a story that was meant to be told by you and me, the players. Your story could vastly differ from mine in many major ways. It simply does not make sense that our story should end with the same basic moral and cinematic, which is why so many people are up in arms about it. And again, they have a right to be, they are consumers. That's not to say that protest can't ruin a franchise even more (for example, what happened with Venom in Spider-man 3 after people found out he wasn't going to be in it), but by the same token the protest could result in something positive for everyone (example: the Broken Steel DLC for FO3).

Anyway, I'm getting away from the point; it's not wrong for the people who are dissatisfied to be actively but politely protesting their dissatisfaction. And Bioware has always represented itself to be open to suggestion from the fanbase as to where they should take things, so it's not wrong for them to consider at least add something as a response to this outcry, either. I do, however, disagree in the demand of a complete overhaul of the ending, and I agree with you that those people shouldn't force that opinion on others.

Ah I have heard this argument before and it is a false conclusion.

In a game you are still bound within frames of the game.
A similar comparison could be made making up any features that isn't described by a book. You make an image of the main char within the framework of a book. Doesn't mean the author has to change it to fit it.

Otherwise we are on the same page.

Well that's one way to completely waste $1000 I guess.

What a tasty guilt-trip. There's no way they can ignore such a big gift from the fans and not give something back in return. They're practically obligated now.

Lillowh:

EvilChameleon:

Space Magic. That's how.

OT: I approve. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, after all.

The honey/vinegar thing is not true. You can try it, i wait.

So if no one gets greedy and only takes one cupcake then no one will know they all taste the same? Ohhh that's deep!

What exactly did people expect from a Mass Effect game??? I played the first one; while I thought it was a pretty decently-told story, I never understood the hype. Gameplay was exceedingly easy and boring, and the inventory management system was atrocious (I know, they improved it in later games).

If you play Mass Effect games, expect the experience to be rote. If you associate innovation with them you're a goddamn fool. Dialogue and atmosphere aren't the only ingredients to a good RPG.

This is what I would call poetic justice.

EvilChameleon:

Maybe they cut all the cupcakes into thirds and put the appropiate icing for each piece? That's my reasoning.

JeanLuc761:

Batsamaritan:

nah, their still pricks and its still a waste of money, I read enough pitiful whining on forum from these losers to make me despair about my species. Lets have some perspective, its only a game for christ sake, so the ending was unsatisfactory, so what. I've been there many times before LOST being a recent example. But I have a life, people who depend on me and i'm lucky enough to live in a society where I get enough to eat and have a roof over my head. Life is to short.

Nice sweeping generalizations pal. Nevermind that many of the people who donated to that charity and/or are currently in support of the "Retake ME3" movement are fine, well-adjusted people who have lives and families. Nope, let's just label them all as pathetic.

yep, there all pathetic losers.

Complaining about not liking an ending is one thing, but the whole 'retake me3' movement is for fucking losers with to much time on there spunk-stained hands. They need to get out of the house take a bresh of fresh air, learn to say 'whatever' and find something else in life. Perhaps visit a cancer ward and see some real misery, it should at least put their stupid problems in perspective.

It was all MEEE! I am to blame for the ending!!! Send them all to me!

According to the invoice posted online, they'll be ready on the 30th.... Hmmm... That's only a 4.5 hour drive from here for over 400 cupcakes and I even know which bakery to hang out by in order to intercept the delivery because of the invoice... I think my Friday just got booked up :D

Edit: Invoice is here by the way

Batsamaritan:

yep, there all pathetic losers.

Complaining about not liking an ending is one thing, but the whole 'retake me3' movement is for fucking losers with to much time on there spunk-stained hands. They need to get out of the house take a bresh of fresh air, learn to say 'whatever' and find something else in life. Perhaps visit a cancer ward and see some real misery, it should at least put their stupid problems in perspective.

Arguing with you seems like a fruitless endeavor, but you do realize this movement has successfully donated more than $80,000 to children with cancer, as well as other smaller charities?

What can I do to piss off gamers? I want some cup cakes! :(

HOLD THE LINE....with delicious cupcakes!

Mass Effect fans are the coolest fans ever.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here