New SimCity Will Require Always-On Internet - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Andy Chalk:

Sansha:
I do feel for the people with unfixable crappy connections, but like OP said, Steam does the same thing and nobody complains. Same with Blizzard and Battle.net - playing SC2 single-player requires being online all the time, then Diablo3 does the same thing and - oh noes!

Steam and Origin don't do the same thing, though. They do use the internet for DRM but it can be disabled in offline mode and even in regular, online mode, they don't crap out by default if the connection drops. They're both problematic for similar reasons, but not as bad as the always-on DRM practiced by Ubisoft, and now Blizzard and seemingly EA.

I think that's a small misconception with offline mode that many people seem to be confused about. Some people seem to think that offline mode means no internet connection required at all. I've tested it myself, without an internet connection when you START steam, even in offline mode, it wont load your library. From what I can tell, steam requires an internet connection to retrieve your library first before letting you go offline mode. After it does that, you could be in the middle of no where without a connection playing your games.

It's part of the reason why I always put my laptop into standby rather than shut it down, so steam will still have my library listed without needing the internet connection. Sure it's not what people expect it to be, but it's still a million times better than always on.

This whole 'you must have an internet connection so you can play online with people and have more fun' is getting a bit much, having an mmo element to this game is a great idea for those who want it, but making an internet connection mandatory is a bit silly :/

Andy Chalk:

That changes things pretty dramatically. I'm still not a fan of the mandatory "phone home" business and I think people on the fence should insist on getting the full DRM low-down before committing, but a Steam-style online check is a big improvement over DRM that gives you the boot if you get the boot.

Really? Isn't it pretty much exactly the same thing? I mean I'm sure it's annoying when your connection goes down and you're booted from the game, but that's as nothing compared to the immeasurably more frequent times when the Internet is down on either your or EA's end, not to mention when they shut down the servers in a few months from now.

And for all Steam isn't absolutely the ideal system you do have the option of offline mode.

Andy Chalk:

UPDATE: Electronic Arts has clarified SimCity's online requirements, saying that the game won't actually require an always-on connection. "You will have to register an Origin account in order to play, and yes, you must be online at all times while playing in order to start playing," according to Gamespy. "EA has confirmed that you will not be kicked out if your connection is interrupted."

That changes things pretty dramatically. I'm still not a fan of the mandatory "phone home" business and I think people on the fence should insist on getting the full DRM low-down before committing, but a Steam-style online check is a big improvement over DRM that gives you the boot if you get the boot.

Nope, doesn't change things at all. This isn't a Steam style check, not if it doesn't allow a completely offline mode like Steam does. If it allowed that, I'd consider it. As it is, it's only slightly better than Ubisoft's requirements. At least it won't dump you out after you convince the server you aren't a dirty, filthy piratical scumbag.

Still a no-buy game for me, which is a real change given that I own just about every Sims game made since the original SimCity.

Waaghpowa:

I think that's a small misconception with offline mode that many people seem to be confused about. Some people seem to think that offline mode means no internet connection required at all. I've tested it myself, without an internet connection when you START steam, even in offline mode, it wont load your library.

I think there's something wrong with your installation, or you're just missing the library tab. I've tried this for several months, if you start in offline mode you have full access to your library, you only ever need to go online for patching, cloud saves and community features. If your net is patchy you can just load it up on offline mode and get full access. But you DO need to select offline mode when online.

WITH UPDATE: Much better. Now, if only it wasn't Origin exclusive.

I was excited about the game at first. Now, the more I read, the less I want it. Not to mention I won't touch Origin with a 10 foot pole.

Do these guys not listen to anything, Worce the DRM the more likly people will download it without it.

So if my internet goes down while playing I just have to NEVER CLOSE THE GAME or I won't be able to play it again.

Sounds fair.

Well, I was interested in this game. Once they release an Origin-free version, I might look into it again. EA really needs to learn that jamming Origin down our throats isn't going to endear us to it.

Steam doesn't require always-on for single-player games. Your story is kinda wrong as written, or is written based on how Steam USED to be and not how it currently is.

Grey Day for Elcia:
In my eyes, cracking or modifying a game you purchased in any way is perfectly fine. Crack it, mod it, change it, emulate the platform--do whatever you want. You paid for the ability to play the game. BUT, emulating a platform you don't legally own is not okay. Like, say, you don't own a DS and you download a DS emulator (which is very popular).

My little rant (lol) was aimed at the people who pirate everything anyway, and simply use the anti-DRM banner as an excuse to be more open about it and feel better about stealing.

Oh, my mistake.

Carry on then!

I don't hate Origin but I won't accept the EULA as it's strips away all my rights.
This isn't the first game I wanted to buy but couldn't (BF3, Warp and now Sim City 5)

chadachada123:
Steam doesn't require always-on for single-player games. Your story is kinda wrong as written, or is written based on how Steam USED to be and not how it currently is.

Never said it did. Origin doesn't require always-on either. SimCity was originally reported as requiring an always-on connection, which is an entirely separate thing from Origin, until EA Maxis clarified/corrected the next day.

Rouzeki:

dogstile:
I'm just waiting for the inevitable "but you're complaining online, this doesn't affect you!" argument I always get, because the other person hasn't considered my internet sometimes goes down for days at a time, usually once every two weeks.

I live in a well developed UK town to, I hate to think of what gamers in the EU have to deal with

...we should discuss our mutual annoyance over this with some sort of beverage and snack. I went batty counterpointing that. s'all over my post history from last fall.

it just adds an unnecessary mess. to be fair, I've never played Sim City, so i don't know in what manner its normally been playable, but it sounds to me another option when the nets down just got clipped, and outright denied- ooh, I wonder how this ones gonna monetize to account for it!

Here's a good quick counter point to anyone saying "you're online now" crap. And it applies to me.

Computer that is attached to the internet is in family room with internet and consoles. My bedroom has my high end gaming computer. Not near the internet even for wireless (too many walls/floors between for reliable connection)

Cheers.

WhiteTigerShiro:
Well, I was interested in this game. Once they release an Origin-free version, I might look into it again. EA really needs to learn that jamming Origin down our throats isn't going to endear us to it.

As someone wise pointed out the difference between Steam and Origin is simple yet very important.

EA makes you use Origin to play your games.

Valve makes you want to use Steam to play your games.

The idea EA doesn't get is that we should want not need Origin. That's why Steam kicks ass.

Its pretty popular to demonize companies for their anti pirate techniques. With good reason its a pretty big pain in the ass to anyone without stable internet, doesn't want to keep track of keys or user ID's, etc. And of course none of the anti piracy techniques work so there's that. But since when do pirates get a free pass? This all started because piracy exists. To deny that is to ignore the free for all that was the 1990's gaming world. So why don't we direct some well placed anger at the source of our problems. I'm not a SOPA proponent or anything like that but pirates ARE the source of our gaming woes. Its time they got a good bitching out for it.

I think this is actually a pretty fair attempt for gaming companies to compromise with the gamers. Clearly they hear that were pissed about DRM and have tried to meet us halfway with the multiplayer benefit that might actually yield some cool results.

And in case no one bothered to read the article and went straight to the comments EA commented saying your game will not be interrupted if your internet is out. So I don't know, hate it if you want Scream about how they need to get rid of DRM but they won't. It's just gonna raise your blood pressure and you'll miss out on a potentially fun gaming experience.

Me, I won't buy it cause I fell out of love with Simcity. The last one I played seriously was 2000 and the later installments just limited my ability to shape a world I created.

FoolKiller:

Here's a good quick counter point to anyone saying "you're online now" crap. And it applies to me.

Computer that is attached to the internet is in family room with internet and consoles. My bedroom has my high end gaming computer. Not near the internet even for wireless (too many walls/floors between for reliable connection)

Cheers.

I'm not gonna argue the "your online now" point because I agree that its stupid. But if your high end computer can't reach internet on a different floor you could buy a second modem. You bought the computer don't tell me you can't afford a modem? And if you have another argument then that one I'm sorry for you because your case is uniquely tragic.

This 'update' is negligible.

The problem is Origin, its invasiveness, the DRM, and the fact that we'll get banned from playing a single-player game if we use mods. Saying an internet-hiccup won't interrupt our EA-violation fails to address the primary issue.

Enjoy your Maxis, EA.

Welp, there goes my sale. Shame too, I liked SimCity 4, at least once fans had fixed it.

I had high hopes for the new SimCity, but I don't play MMOs.

The value of this game to me just dropped by $50. I'll probably buy it, but only when it reaches a price point that I am comfortable with paying. Considering that my internet connection is about as stable as a kayak in a thunderstorm, it would be useful to me only occasionally and I will pay accordingly.

IMO there isn't any difference between phone home and always on.

Its my game, I'm not asking anyone's permission to play. And I'm not reporting my play times and durations, system statistics, or any other damn thing unless they ask nicely.

Shame being, it's on Origin, so won't show up on Steam.

Which is a shame, because come the xmas sales and many games being 75-90% off, some people might considering buying a game like this, riddled with the stupidity virus.

'I know it's got that horrible always on thing, but I'll give it a go now it's a fiver.'

Well so much for this game. It had such great potential. Congradulations EA your destroying your own fan base. Great job. Did I mention this is damage you CAN'T repair? No? ..Oh well.

CapitalistPig:
Its pretty popular to demonize companies for their anti pirate techniques. With good reason its a pretty big pain in the ass to anyone without stable internet, doesn't want to keep track of keys or user ID's, etc. And of course none of the anti piracy techniques work so there's that. But since when do pirates get a free pass? This all started because piracy exists. To deny that is to ignore the free for all that was the 1990's gaming world. So why don't we direct some well placed anger at the source of our problems. I'm not a SOPA proponent or anything like that but pirates ARE the source of our gaming woes. Its time they got a good bitching out for it.

I think this is actually a pretty fair attempt for gaming companies to compromise with the gamers. Clearly they hear that were pissed about DRM and have tried to meet us halfway with the multiplayer benefit that might actually yield some cool results.

And in case no one bothered to read the article and went straight to the comments EA commented saying your game will not be interrupted if your internet is out. So I don't know, hate it if you want Scream about how they need to get rid of DRM but they won't. It's just gonna raise your blood pressure and you'll miss out on a potentially fun gaming experience.

Me, I won't buy it cause I fell out of love with Simcity. The last one I played seriously was 2000 and the later installments just limited my ability to shape a world I created.

No what I'm going to do is save myself some money. By not buying a nice looking piece of dog shit being pawned off as "art". If you support them, you deserve what you get. Ask recent Mass Effect 3 people how the last EA purchase they made went. If you want to blind yourself to the obvious thats fine. But don't expect anyone else to.

CapitalistPig:

im sorry but your name is correct.
piracy is not a cause of DRM. companies are the cause of DRM. If they had half a brain of baboon they would have realized its not going to work, infact, its going to work backwards, and im pretty sure they know that, after all, i wouldnt want to believe that half the gaming industry is mentally challenged baboons. but they want to treat their costumers like shit. piraciy is merely offering a better service. had the companies bothered with offering a better service piracy would be diminished. when pirating a game is 50 times easier than buying one money is not the reason people pirate, its the service. at least pirates dont treat eachother like lowlifes every turn they get.
they havent tried to meet us half way, they tried to shove their methods down our throats and anyone that disagree with them they called scumbags.
Sure we will miss out on potentialy fun gamign exeprience, because we are not some mindless sheep that allow whoever wants it to treat us like shit. i think its something worth fighting for, dont you?

I personally think the idea of your city being part of a larger world is really cool. Requiring everyone to take part in it, however is not. Why not provide a single-player version on top of this?

Anyone else get this in their head?

"...and yes, you must be online at all times while playing in order to start playing..."

Update: That's small comfort. It is nice to know you won't lose the game if your internet goes kerplunk, but still needing to be online at the start? Way to be big brother there, EA.
And FYI: Steam doesn't require you to be online at the get-go, unless you are in the middle of a steam client update. Albeit those aren't rare, if it isn't occurring then you can log in straight into offline mode. So I wouldn't say it was a Steam-style sort of thing.

SenseOfTumour:

Which is a shame, because come the xmas sales and many games being 75-90% off, some people might considering buying a game like this, riddled with the stupidity virus.

'I know it's got that horrible always on thing, but I'll give it a go now it's a fiver.'

Actually EA is still putting some games on Steam even if it's also going to be on Origin. I'm guessing they are going to keep their bigger properties Origin-exclusive until someone finally gets their head out of their butt there.
I'm waiting for the day when game publishers outright refuse to sell a game because it is just too precious to them. Smeagol-complex, anyone?

10/10 EA, you really know how to fuck up in epic proportions.

Strazdas:

CapitalistPig:

im sorry but your name is correct.
piracy is not a cause of DRM. companies are the cause of DRM. If they had half a brain of baboon they would have realized its not going to work, infact, its going to work backwards, and im pretty sure they know that, after all, i wouldnt want to believe that half the gaming industry is mentally challenged baboons. but they want to treat their costumers like shit. piraciy is merely offering a better service. had the companies bothered with offering a better service piracy would be diminished. when pirating a game is 50 times easier than buying one money is not the reason people pirate, its the service. at least pirates dont treat eachother like lowlifes every turn they get.
they havent tried to meet us half way, they tried to shove their methods down our throats and anyone that disagree with them they called scumbags.
Sure we will miss out on potentialy fun gamign exeprience, because we are not some mindless sheep that allow whoever wants it to treat us like shit. i think its something worth fighting for, dont you?

Buying games is easy. And implementing installations and otherwise DRM is pretty easy too. Its about as easy as a Crack (oh shocker!) And I don't see how this is "treating you like shit." Companies charge you for a game and protect their rights as distributors. Guess what, thats what every copyright industry has done for the past 50 years. The only band that ever gave their stuff away was The Grateful Dead, and that's because they made more money on tours then albums/records. If you don't like that, what exactly do you want from them? To hand you over their stuff to just do whatever you please. That's courtroom suicide when they do convict someone of copyright violations. Obviously they aren't going to to that. Yea don't get first day downloadable content that's obviously a ploy but then again maybe this stuff shouldn't mean so much anyway. that whole "they don't offer a good platform" is standby crap of the pirate crowd. Obviously getting stuff for free is pretty hard to pull away from. It has a HUGE following and its free for the sake of it. I hardly think that's a compelling argument. People need to drastically reconsider how they view these companies if they ever think they are going to care about you. And maybe the pirate crowd should stop downloading the games if they don't like the companies that might send a more concise message. It's just games man. You don't have a right to anything. They are providing entertainment. they have no obligation to fulfill your demands in any way. And yes, I live by my name with pride thank you.

And no I don't think fighting a company that provides you with strictly entertainment is worth fighting against if that's the point you want to make. If you really wanted to make a point you would do something else other then play video games. Not get their copyrights illegally. That just proves you want their stuff but are too "insert anything" to deal with them. Who can compete with that attitude. go for a hike or something if you want to protest.

Antari:

CapitalistPig:

No what I'm going to do is save myself some money. By not buying a nice looking piece of dog shit being pawned off as "art". If you support them, you deserve what you get. Ask recent Mass Effect 3 people how the last EA purchase they made went. If you want to blind yourself to the obvious thats fine. But don't expect anyone else to.

Good, Just don't screw up your protest by going and downloading it illegally. Otherwise you have accomplished nothing other then paint yourself a target.

samsonguy920:

SenseOfTumour:

Actually EA is still putting some games on Steam even if it's also going to be on Origin. I'm guessing they are going to keep their bigger properties Origin-exclusive until someone finally gets their head out of their butt there.
I'm waiting for the day when game publishers outright refuse to sell a game because it is just too precious to them. Smeagol-complex, anyone?

It's the ultimate defence against piracy, spend $10 million creating the game, then just don't release it! It's the greatest DRM ever! CEO: "I'm happy to say we lost not one sale to piracy meaning we made a profit to our shareholders of..um...minus ten million!"

(Then someone leaks it and it's on piratebay in a few hours!)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here