TV News Report Warns of "Cyber-Bullying" on Xbox Live

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

My...My God! This is what kids are exposed to while playing online video games!?!?!? We must ban all games to stop this horrible torrent of filth being directed at our kids!!!

And in further news the sun is hot

1) BREAKING NEWS: Lots of people use foul language online! In other news, Obama wins the 2008 presidential election!

2)

Greg Tito:
"Incredible levels of profanity, racial epithets, homosexually-oriented epithets. We're talking 8-, 9-, 10-, 11-year-old kids who are getting exposed to this regularly,"

Why the hell are kids that young playing Call of Duty? If you let a kid as young as 8 play CoD Multiplayer, you have no right to complain about what they hear from others.

Because letting kids play games they're nearly a decade too young to play has always been a good idea. Yeppers.

why the fuck are they playing games RATED M????? its rated for a reason

Why is there even an escapist article on this? Sure it is slightly amusing that some people are just learning this, but reports like the come out all the time, why is this one special?

The insults being flung on XBL definitely have the potential to be emotionally damaging to the person on the other side. That's precisely why they get used. But XBL is hardly an isolated incidence, as this is the kind of language that gets thrown around school grounds everywhere. I actually get the feeling that if XBL was truly only populated by people 18+, it would actually become more civil and less profanity ridden. I don't want to advocate parents constantly looking over their kid's shoulders for the sake of policing their kid's free time, but they should take an active interesting in what their kids are doing and do a bit of learning. If parents actually stuck around to play games with their kids, not only would their kids probably respect their parent more and be less of an annoying brat, their kids would probably be more conscientious about how they behave overall. All of this language is going to be picked up at school anyway; it's cool and rebellious, or at least it is for a bunch of hormone riddled kids. At least the parents can set an example towards the kind of civility that people respect.

be thankful he's not on Uno live chat. You have a chance to see some dude's penis

the gamers who talk the most shit are usually the worst players a majority of times.

8, 9, 10 year olds being exposed to profanity? Why are they even on Xbox Live/Playstation Network in the first place? Playing Call of Duty? It's okay for them to go on a killing spree, but when called a fag it's unacceptable? GET THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNET!

"All content ratings go out the window." Doesn't pretty much every game say that online interactions aren't rated by the ESRB?

......I find it really, really, REALLY fucking hilarious that they did this report about 8, 9, 10 year old kids playing this game.....when COD is rated Mature....I also find it almost as funny that they don't realize that a LOT of that profanity comes from 8, 9, 10 year old kids. Believe it or not they know what "pussy" is and no we're not talking about the cat.

Question: Why the hell are parents letting 8-12 year olds play Call of Duty in the first place?

Ickorus:

I guess maybe now parents might actually have a care what they let little Timmy play and will actually monitor his gaming consumption instead of using the Xbox like an electronic nanny.

Ha, of course they won't.

Did you steal my thoughts and put them in forum post form?

Uhuh... what's even more appaling, is the utter failure of the mentioning that they're playing an M rated game... fucking idiots.

Also on ABC, a report on how the sky is blue, water is wet and people die.

I feel kind of left out....

...I never get abused over mic....:( mabye that because Im on PSN and no one uses a mic (or Im not playing the right games)

Greg Tito:
Until they learn to play more civilized games like Magic

I lol'd, that was a funny line.

OT: I wish they'd just ban kids from playing these games online.

I have to agree with the consensus here. COD is a violent game about WAR. Yes, it's a "game" but it's a game about KILLING PEOPLE. Yes, there may be some adult language involved. This is as ridiculous about as the hot coffee gta controversy. That game had a warning label that went on forever and was about criminals (love it).

Obviously what follows will vary per individual experience, but I find more often than not it's the kids freaking out and throwing racial slurs out and such.

I've yet to be called a @*$!#$ by someone my age. Mainly cause we don't talk when we game.

8-9-10-11 year olds are the worst offenders for this kind of foul-mouthed bullshit on xbox live, most 20-30 somethings just mute the little shits as we don't have kids and don't want them ruining our gaming experience.

My Xbox Live bio simply states,'' Keep kids off Xbox Live.(Failing that, there's always MW3/BF3)''

Solution... don't let them have head sets so you can hear whats going on.
And so that they don't have a mic to agitate people with their high pitched voices.

[/enddiscussion]

Yeah, its not a cheap baby sitter and you need to involve yourself with what your kids are doing.

-------------

Back in ye old times of COD4 I witnessed a child on mic... players weren't friendly but weren't too bad considering the high pitched voice annoying people. Some player called someone a "fucking camper", not the kid... but the kid got his mum because a "naughty word" had been aired. When his mum criticised the gamers as far as I could tell she was systematically reduced to tears with the barrage of abuse for letting her child play this game and how she was a bad mother etc etc, one of the main attackers being (or claiming at least) to be a parent himself and how he'd never let his child on the game.

... make of that what you will but I do think we need to smack a few parents around the head before they give into the demands of their kids in terms of video games. Content may not be appropriate ie... shooting people... shooting LOOOOOOOOTS of people however in an environment where people are allowed a microphone in an uncensored and anonymous theater... fuck that's just asking for trouble.

Vault101:

...I never get abused over mic....:( mabye that because Im on PSN and no one uses a mic (or Im not playing the right games)

What's your PSN name? I'll shoot you a harassing message, then follow you into a lobby and whisper racist, homophobic, antisemitic comments to you. Then I'll follow up with all the classics. I'll call you garbage, a kid, a 30 year old in his moms basement, a baddy, a nub, and I'll tell you to get good, scrub.

How is profanity "cyber-bullying"? I mean, I've always figured that there had to be a higher standard for people to be concerned than name-calling I know bullying has been the new buzzword for bad things that need to be "eliminated", but it won't be, because it's how kids (and some adults) establish social status. So people need to stop panicking over bullying in general and cyber-bullying in particular, and instead try to focus on setting limits and protecting really vulnerable kids from the worst of it, plus giving them some coping mechanisms. I suspect that all of these attempts to "end bullying" are likely to make kids even more angry and likely to take it out on their targets when no one else is watching.

To be fair, the article never mentions any game by name. It says "when your child takes the game online and players start interacting, all content ratings go out the window" and "Don't let your kid go upstairs and close his bedroom door, and sit there and play all night," said Kinney. "That's crazy. You have no idea what's going on, who's saying what". These are good things. Perfectly reasonable things.

The only person who mentioned Call of Duty in relation to this article is Greg Tito. Read the friggin article people! Slipping an unrelated phrase into a write-up is how Fox news fools morons. Don't be a moron. Read before forming an opinion. Look at how many of you jump to call out people! This article is about online games 'in general' and how you need to watch what your kids are doing.

This article is actually quite reasonable and benign. No one is suggesting 8 yr olds are playing Call of Duty except Greg Tito.

The final point of the article? - "Proactive parenting will allow kids to enjoy the games while still staying safe."

To be fair again, I did not watch the video, maybe someone said something, but I can't watch video right now. The text however, I don't see a problem with.

Edit: Nope. Just watched the video. Not one mention of a Call of Duty or any other M or T rated game. No specific games mentioned at all. I actually kinda hoped there would be so I could stop thinking bad of Greg Titos journalistic integrity (if he has any).

Stay classy, Greg!

-Samurai-:

Vault101:

What's your PSN name? I'll shoot you a harassing message, then follow you into a lobby and whisper racist, homophobic, antisemitic comments to you. Then I'll follow up with all the classics. I'll call you garbage, a kid, a 30 year old in his moms basement, a baddy, a nub, and I'll tell you to get good, scrub.

and Im a girl so that entitles me to twice as much abuse for the same price right? (cmon! I want the full online gaming exerpeince!...its xsin_r101)

ok..I kid..I kid

Comando96:

Back in ye old times of COD4 I witnessed a child on mic... players weren't friendly but weren't too bad considering the high pitched voice annoying people. Some player called someone a "fucking camper", not the kid... but the kid got his mum because a "naughty word" had been aired. When his mum criticised the gamers as far as I could tell she was systematically reduced to tears with the barrage of abuse for letting her child play this game and how she was a bad mother etc etc, one of the main attackers being (or claiming at least) to be a parent himself and how he'd never let his child on the game.

I'm kind of hoping someone would have a recording of that for future lulz. It sounds like it would be a pretty funny moment.

OT: Any argument the parent had about internet safety went out the window when he said it was COD he was playing online with his little ones and not anything else. My God, is there not Castle Crashers or...well UNO is kind of awkward...but there are loads of other games to play with your kids that isn't rated M. There is a reason it is rated M.

And, not gonna lie, my brother's friends in high school are more of a deterrant to staying off than people my age. They flirt and curse you out at the same time.

I can't believe someone didn't slap the parent or slap the journalist for the news piece.

Ah, yet more fodder for the hot button issue of the year. Gimme a break. I mean, you're letting your children play games where the goal is to blow your friends faces off, and you are worried about swearing and bullying.

I love parents who can't parent, and I love companies and government agencies that are poised to take over when the parents are too stupid to do it themselves. I also love how it's the internets fault this happens and not their own.

I was expecting them to say something along the lines of Xbox live being the devil's playground, but the advice and tone- for a news broadcast- was actually quite reasonable.

I might agree if I had a kid who played games online, but I also know that it's impossible to keep them wrapped up in innocence forever.

I don't really have a problem with letting them play the games, just that they complain about the stuff that their kids see when they play it. I, myself, was playing games like Duke Nukem 3D at age 5, Mortal Kombat 4(I think) at 6 or 7, and Diablo at around that same time. I came out perfectly fine, because my parents weren't lacking in common sense and "taught" me how to differentiate between the games and reality. If you honestly get bothered by being "cyber bullied", then you're too soft skinned for your own good. As someone I know said about cyber bullying, "they're just words. If they get to you, it's because you're too stupid. You can easily fix it with a mute or ignore button, get over it."

Vault101:

-Samurai-:

Vault101:

and Im a girl so that entitles me to twice as much abuse for the same price right? (cmon! I want the full online gaming exerpeince!...its xsin_r101)

ok..I kid..I kid

Oh man. Now you've opened up a whole new area of "cyber bullying". Sexism. Or sexual harassment. Which isn't really new, but its typically male on male, and hilarious.

Also, I forgot that I'll have to insult your family. It's pretty much a law.

You know, as much as I hate the typical gamer trash talk, some of the best times I've ever had online is listening to a group of people trying to use the same tired insults as a serious insult. I don't participate, though. It just isn't my style.

Dr. Dan Challis:
I think we need to be very careful making sure we don't equate *any* negative interaction a child could have with full-on bullying, lest we dilute the term so much it lacks meaning anymore. There`s a world of difference between being beaten up in the school parking lot during lunch hour and being swore at on a service that you can opt in and opt out of at any time by players that you have the option to mute.

And I fully agree that 8-year-olds shouldn't be playing CoD, online or off, to begin with.

I agree. Most of what comes over the earpiece rests nicely in the area of harassment and debasement. Bullying is a much stronger term that deals with actual violence against a person. Now that doesn't mean physical violence only. But it would pretty much require a bit more than one game session to be considering anyone a bully over Call of Duty's headsets.
This article is good because it actually deals with something in gaming that is actually happening. However, it is equally bad because it is just the same rhetoric that we hear time and time again over mature games and kids. This can become a good tool to help encourage parents to be more aware about what their kids are playing or wanting to play. But there is too much room here for someone to blow it out of proportion and end up doing more damage than anything good.
This could easily become ammunition for the likes of Senator Yee and others who want to regulate game sales more. If Activision and other publishers don't want to see their sales getting throttled, then they need to be more proactive about promoting parental awareness in the games they sale. I'm not saying put more words on the box, that doesn't do any good. The likes of PSA's and such would be a far more effective tool in this matter.

I'd post a Slowpoke image, but I don't think a Slowpoke exists that is slow enough for this...

I really cant think of anything to say that hasn't already been said:
I've known this for years. This is old news..
People act like douchebags on the internet? GASP! SHOCK! It's not like its commonly know that online+anonymity=douchebaggery and immaturity.
Why is your eight year old playing a rated M game to before with? If your letting him/her play COD, logically, I don't think someone swearing online is the biggest of your concerns..

And most people online I hear cussing up a storm sound like theyre eight anyway, so......

I really don't think its that hard to comprehend, right guys?.... Right?..

... Call of Duty.

They have 8 year olds.

Playing call of duty.

And they are blaming Microsoft.

Isn't that like blaming your dog for shooting your kid because he peed on you while you had it trained on your kid?

CleverCover:
I'm kind of hoping someone would have a recording of that for future lulz. It sounds like it would be a pretty funny moment.

As soon as she left... or rather after an Admin for the server went on a kicking spree and perma IP banned that kid, the first question asked was "did anyone record that shit?"

I don't think anyone did because most people said no, or I wish I did/could.

CleverCover:
I can't believe someone didn't slap the parent or slap the journalist for the news piece.

Parent if I had to choose. The news reporters report whats happening.
Just because they are reporting on stupid parents who haven't thought things through doesn't mean that they should be given a slap. They should be slapped if they don't ask the question "why are you letting your kid play on a game that says 15+/18+ on it?"

I wouldn't really call that cyber-bullying since it's a random yelling shit at you. If they purposely targeted you, moving from game to game that'd be cyber-bullying. At least that's how I see it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here