THQ Downgrades Warhammer 40K MMO

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

THQ Downgrades Warhammer 40K MMO

Amid layoffs at the studios involved, the game will switch to a single-player RPG.

First rumored in 2007, and shown off at E3 2010, Dark Millenium Online will drop the "Online" moniker from its title to offer an "immersive" RPG with single- and multi-player elements. THQ CEO Brian Farrell said the decision was made looking at current market trends - read ToR battling to steal WoW's numbers - and realizing it would take a lot more money to pull off any kind of success. Farrell called other companies to see if they were interested in ponying up the cash needed, but no one returned his calls. He decided to cut THQ's losses and make a spectacular single-player game, after writing a pink slip for 120 diligent game designers.

"As previously announced, we have been actively looking for a business partner for the game as an MMO. However, based on changing market dynamics and the additional investment required to complete the game as an MMO, we believe the right direction for us is to shift the title from an MMO to a premium experience with single and multiplayer gameplay, robust digital content and community features," said Brian Farrell, President and CEO of THQ Inc.

Farrell said the amount of work gone in justifies the shift rather than cancelling the game outright. "Because we believe strongly in the high-quality and vast creative work that is in production, this is the right decision for both our portfolio and for gamers devoted to this powerful property."

Games Workshop, the company behind the Warhammer 40K miniatures game, is fine with the shift in focus. "We are genuinely excited about the new direction that THQ is taking with Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium," said Jon Gillard from Games Workshop.

I'm not sure how Gillard can be "genuinely excited" about laying off almost 120 people. The collapse of the staff at THQ's development houses continues with a total of 118 full-time employees dismissed from Relic Entertainment and Vigil Games. Vigil will complete Dark Millenium and Darksiders II, while Relic will concentrate its efforts on the Dawn of War branch of RTS 40K games.

As always, The Escapist sends its support to those affected by the layoffs at Relic and Vigil.

Wow i never thought a developer would click on they couldnt competitive with wow.

Wait, I am confused. The title of the article says the game was downgraded but all I see is an upgrade. Did I miss something?

I'm even more excited for this game now. Though it pisses me off that THQ's bumbling has effect Relic. Relic is an amazing studio shouldn't be going through this mess.

I think i'm okay with this.

Still pretty exited about this, aslong as it keeps some of the MMO-ish features (e.g. I don't want to have to play as a spehss mahreen)

Sucks that this hit relic and vigil like this, both of them are awesome devs that thq really needs to be good to since they are the ones that will be able to pull thq out of its nose dive.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't attempt to go the free to play route, oh well, at least now I can get it and not worry about a monthly subscription when guild wars 2 is taking all my time.

Cutting their losses is the best move. I'm glad to see one cow had the sense to hop off the conveyer belt before it got slaughtered.

Findlebob:
Wow i never thought a developer would click on they couldnt competitive with wow.

Its not that they would think that they couldnt compete with WoW, its that theyre taking out the MMO- part of the RPG so they dont have to spend money maintaining servers.

Basically its a budget slash thing, and thats what THQ needs if its going to survive the remainder of the year.

My most important feeling is that they better upgrade those graphics. That stuff flies for mmos, but this is one of the few ips I want to see in glorious vision. I've been reading their stuff as a kid, and this is one of my only times for holding on to my Geek Rage card, ready to go off on anyone for ruining it.

gutted for the layoffs but as far as going to single player RPG with multi-player elements goes i thinks that's just awesome!

Fr]anc[is:
Cutting their losses is the best move. I'm glad to see one cow had the sense to hop off the conveyer belt before it got slaughtered.

Very much agree.
Well either way, it still seems like a good game

So is it similar to Space Marine?
I'd like a Space Marine 2 please.

Findlebob:

No its that they simply cant afford to make an mmo. Single player games are cheaper to make so that is the way they are going. MMOs are extremely expensive to make and they do not give you as fast of a return on investment as a single player game can.

I'm guessing this means we can only play as space marines, which means I'm not getting this game as I've no interesting in playing them. I feel sorry for the people who lost their jobs though.

Clive Howlitzer:
Wait, I am confused. The title of the article says the game was downgraded but all I see is an upgrade. Did I miss something?

My thoughts exactly. Now if only they would come out with a single player version of The Old Republic...oh wait, who am I kidding, then people wouldn't have to give part of their being to the Soul (EA)ter each month.

I have gone from 0% interest in this game to 50% interest. Not mmo... passes first test. I will have to watch this game. Pity about the lost jobs, but some cuts is better than whole ship going down.

Yaaaaaayyyyyyyyeeeee!!! Wooohooo!! Wup! Wup! Wup!

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

*dances around in little circles, pumping his arms like a nerdboy t-rex*

VonKlaw:
Still pretty exited about this, aslong as it keeps some of the MMO-ish features (e.g. I don't want to have to play as a spehss mahreen)

This. Freaking A THIS! Even if the stories have to be shortened, I will be a happy camper if I can play as ANYTHING not Space Marine related. Eldar, Necron, Ork, Tau, hell I'll even take the Jokeraru over yet ANOTHER adventure with the Emperor's finest!

Ah who the hell am I kidding? We all know those bastards sell like hotcakes. Hopefully we'll get different CHAPTERS at least. I'm so effing sick of the Smurfs.

WOOOOOOOOO! Maybe they can keep some of 40ks remaining integrity for this. Jsut please avoid centering on SPHESS MAREHNS! Or anyone that shouts METAL BOXHES! I like some chapters but damn i don't want to play them. Barely liked painting them. Just hope its open and no centered on marines.

Steel Legion forever.

Metalix Knightmare:
I'm so effing sick of the Smurfs.

Fucking smurfs.

Side note: I hope they bring back the guy that voiced Spehss Mahreens man, just so he can get killed during the middle of some terrible monologue.

Wow, it seems even the Emperors devine protection aint squat against Panda's.

Still, Relics a good company, the fact they had to let people go only fills me with genetically enhanced, cyborg tears.

Just once I want a 40K product that does not just focus on Space Marines.

I always found the Imperial Guard way more fun to both play, and to experience.
Getting to play as a Commissar I think would be fun.

Do you want to play like Ciaphas Cain? Or will you HERESY BLAM! everyone in existence?
Hell ANY OTHER FACTION BESIDES SPACE MARINES!

"In the Space Marine future there is only SPACE MARINE!"
BLAH!

Metalix Knightmare:

VonKlaw:

This. Freaking A THIS! Even if the stories have to be shortened, I will be a happy camper if I can play as ANYTHING not Space Marine related. Eldar, Necron, Ork, Tau, hell I'll even take the Jokeraru over yet ANOTHER adventure with the Emperor's finest!

Ah who the hell am I kidding? We all know those bastards sell like hotcakes. Hopefully we'll get different CHAPTERS at least. I'm so effing sick of the Smurfs.

Great, now I have the image of 100 of the Smurfs finest warriors fighting a desperate last stand against the Tyranids in some frozen waste...

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
WOOOOOOOOO! Maybe they can keep some of 40ks remaining integrity for this. Jsut please avoid centering on SPHESS MAREHNS! Or anyone that shouts METAL BOXHES! I like some chapters but damn i don't want to play them. Barely liked painting them. Just hope its open and no centered on marines.

Steel Legion forever.

Metalix Knightmare:
I'm so effing sick of the Smurfs.

Fucking smurfs.

Don't forget the game favourite Blood Magpies.

Personally I'd like to play a Sister of Battle, the most overlooked Army in the entire game.
I hope multiplayer is RPG like too, so I can play with my friends, do not want another rehash of Space Marine's multiplayer.

Wow, changing the game from MMO to RPG after 5 years of development? Ballsy.
I welcome the move however. This means I might actually get to play the game.

And they layed off 120 game DESIGNERS? Who needs 120 game designers? Or are we talking game designer as in the broadest sense of the word, e.g. 3D artist, level designer, etc?

Unfortunate as the layoffs and financial woes are, for the game this can only be a good thing. Instead of getting saddled with another MMO with the usual limitations and inconsistencies pretty much inherent to the genre, we might get something a little meatier and more story-based. I'd much rather play a huge singleplayer RPG than diddle around in an MMO world where nothing ever changes.

As a big fan of single-player RPGs and a non-player of MMOs, I approve of this.

I'm ok with it. They go like Kingdom of Amalur. Originally an MMO then they change it to RPG

Though slightly disappointing, I'm ok with this. I would rather play a single player game anyway.

Damn it >.>. I hope they find a job. There are many talented people at Relic Entertainment. I'm not upset over the game though. What we need is a return to traditonal RTSs or at least a game centering around a 'race' other than the SPEHESS MAHREENS!

While I feel over the loss of all of the development team's jobs, I'm a bit enthusiastic about this game now.

Mainly because I can't stand MMOs, and I honestly think nothing can usurp WoW at this rate.

I feel sorry for the devs that lost their jobs, but really the game as an mmo would have failed hardcore, everything about it looked like a terrible wow clone - and as an mmo player I'm glad they saw it before putting so much effort into an inevitable failure.

I know how they were hiping Space Marine and I won't argue I enjoyed that A LOT. BUT I know why I enjoyed it because I am a huge fan of the franchise as an outsider I guess I would not enjoy it that much and I nearly agree with every word Mr. Croshaw wrote about it. And this is what I fear what we get a tight strapted linear game that is made to make as much money as it can because THQ needs it. I hope it is gonna be the best game ever because I am a fan, but I do not see that happen.

Still psyched for the game, but now that it's a single-player RPG I'm disappointed that it's most likely going to center around the Space Marines again, as they don't really lend themselves to greatly diverse roleplaying. A game like this needs an Inquisitor in the driver's seat.

I feel bad for the folks who got laid off... even though the entire industry seems to be willing to offer them jobs, it must be a tremendous kick in the balls to pour your creative soul into a project for 4+ years and then be told, "Sorry, most of your work was ultimately for nothing and won't make the cut for the final product as envisioned five minutes ago."

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here