Anonymous Threatens Internet With "Operation Blackout"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

AC10:
So it looks like the internet is still on.

Nappa: VEGETA. WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT HIS POST NUMBER?!?!?!

Vegeta: ITS OVER NI-oh wait, it is just over seven thousand. Not that insane...

zehydra:

Randomeaninglessword:

zehydra:

There is no such thing as "the internet community"

On this scale, there is. Any group of people with something in common can be referred to as a 'community', and in this case the common factor is usage of the internet.

People shouldn't just use the word "community" to denote ANY group of people with something in common, since there is more to the idea of community than just that.

From dictionary.reference.com: "com·mu·ni·ty [kuh-myoo-ni-tee] noun...

4. a group of associated nations sharing common interests or a common heritage: the community of Western Europe."

I can understand your concern for the misuse of words, but it is correct in this case.

Hey look everybody, not a damn thing happened today! :D

OT: Yeah, had a feeling that nothing was going to happen today. Guess I should catch MLP now and then do some reading.

They didn't do it?! What a surprise!! 0_o
I knew they were all talk.

Oh yeah about that....

Soooo, yeah. Just like everyone thought. It's April 1 here, and stuff all happened.

Randomeaninglessword:

zehydra:

Randomeaninglessword:

On this scale, there is. Any group of people with something in common can be referred to as a 'community', and in this case the common factor is usage of the internet.

People shouldn't just use the word "community" to denote ANY group of people with something in common, since there is more to the idea of community than just that.

From dictionary.reference.com: "com·mu·ni·ty [kuh-myoo-ni-tee] noun...

4. a group of associated nations sharing common interests or a common heritage: the community of Western Europe."

I can understand your concern for the misuse of words, but it is correct in this case.

Then what we have is a "bad" (as in ambiguous) word.

Just run cmd.exe and you'll find ways to ping websites to find their ip directly and ignore the DNS.

I just woke up, did they hack all the internets yet?

Yeah, no. Anytime any news has the date April 1st in it, you can't believe it. Like this one I read several years ago about Microsoft buying Linux. Seemed legit until you noticed the date of the article.

*surfing zero punctuation*

LOL operation blackout

*clicks*

hah, that was so long ag- wait, this was posted on the 29th?

huh, okay, when is it supposed to happen?

*looks*

oh no, the 31st?.... wait, it IS the 31st.

*Looks at watch* Yep, its nearly midnight and there is no sign of the internet ever going down for more than a second. *sighs* I'm disappointed Anon. I really am. Not that I agree with them, its just that it would have been fun to see the aftermath. I get that its easily likely that its and April Fools joke but still.

*sigh* Anonymous has been saying for a month now that this was a hoax but some media outlets keep repeating it. It's the down side of sites like The Escapist and HuffPo. Long since discredited information pops up again and again.

If people like this didn't post sensationalist news articles Anonymous would have disappeared years ago...

whiteshark12:
If people like this didn't post sensationalist news articles Anonymous would have disappeared years ago...

To be honest I would rather have that people report on organizations such as Anonymous than that they would be able to live "off the grid". And at least this is a lot more newsworthy than the gossip reported by 'The Sun' or 'Fox News'.

Anonymous would never turn the internet off on the 31st, you know how i am so certain?

If it doesn't work: LOL

If it does: Oh sunuvabi-

Anon should have stated April 1st was when they were gonna do it. Bet they typed typed in the wrong date. lol

APRIL FOOLS! LAWL

But I have important internet plans on April 1st...

Ah yea, tomorrow IS April Fools. So was that 20% XP bonus DDO promised us tomorrow a lie too?

Well the 31st has come and gone (12:31 EST as I'm typing this) and The Internet seems to still be up....

I'm guessing it's an April Fool's joke. I assumed that anyway because if someone was going to organize this they would have done it quietly and then claimed responsibility afterwards.

Ahh well, it would have been interesting to see it happen, and also kind of demonstrate how much we use The Internet, while also demonstrating that we don't actually NEED it to get by.

And nothing of value was lost.

Something tells me to think about the fact that its April 1st. I see what your doing there. Thankfully I know its somewhat impossible to accomplish as its been laid out.

zehydra:

No, you just have a poor understanding of how anonymous works.
They're not an idea, they're not a concept, they are a group. Anyone can claim to be anon and be right.

LastGreatBlasphemer:

zehydra:

No, you just have a poor understanding of how anonymous works.
They're not an idea, they're not a concept, they are a group. Anyone can claim to be anon and be right.

What are you talking about? I'm not talking about Anon, I'm talking about the "internet community".

Why did you think my post had anything to do with how Anon works? (For the record I already knew how Anon works and have been telling people for quite some time. I suggest you be more careful before jumping to conclusions).

zehydra:

What are you talking about? I'm not talking about Anon, I'm talking about the "internet community".

Why did you think my post had anything to do with how Anon works? (For the record I already knew how Anon works and have been telling people for quite some time. I suggest you be more careful before jumping to conclusions).

The discussion is about the use of the word community to define a group of internet users, namely, anonymous.
If we're going down the route of making suggestions, it would seem you need to fully understand the conversation you're taking part in.
Community isn't a terms strictly defining a subsystem of humans coexisting through personally managed government or otherwise. It is used far wider than that, and applies far wider than that.

Well, that was anticlimactic.

I kinda like watching those guys causing havoc just for kicks. it's like watching one of those kids grab some other kid's hands and go "Stop hitting yourself!". It's not supposed to be funny, but it is anyway.

That's like threatening to kill yourself if someone doesn't give you enough orange juice. These nobodies couldn't survive without the internet to feed their retarded egos.

LastGreatBlasphemer:

zehydra:

The discussion is about the use of the word community to define a group of internet users, namely, anonymous.
If we're going down the route of making suggestions, it would seem you need to fully understand the conversation you're taking part in.
Community isn't a terms strictly defining a subsystem of humans coexisting through personally managed government or otherwise. It is used far wider than that, and applies far wider than that.

No! Anonymous != "The Internet Community"

I was talking about the so-called "Internet Community" NOT Anonymous. Anonymous is a subset of the "Internet Community."

I think the world just got trolled by Anon. Though it could have been because they were nice to announce their intentions to attack the DNS and so giving people time to prepare.

April Fools, anyone?

Damn it Anon.. I didnt want to have to do homework this weekend. Why couldnt you have given me an extra day for crying out loud.. Whatgoodareya?

I would like to think they fooled nobody, but I know better by now...

*checks watch* I can't help but notice that not a god damn thing happened.

Yup, looks like everything's fine. Now back to your regularly scheduled activities.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here