Internet Trolls Face Jail in Arizona

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

annoy or offend

I could maybe get behind harass and threaten, but annoy and offend? I'm Offended and annoyed by this bill, and I'm viewing it on the Internet. Arizona you be trolling me.

Also the swearing thing is laughable.

EDIT

imagine being in jail....

"what're you in here for?"

"I'm an internet troll"

Grey Day for Elcia:

Andy Chalk:
It doesn't sound too terribly unreasonable at first glance

Then you should probably get glasses.

Arizona is indeed a very Christian state. I'm not shocked that a group of people notoriously intolerant would want to continue to make laws that enforce their views.

Yes, no talking out your ass THERE.

Clearly, the solution is to send jpgs of Goatse to each Arizona congressman that voted for this.

Actually, I think that's a good idea, even if it passes. Get foreign internet denizens to send deplorable stuff to each and every politician that supports overly-broad legislation like this.

i guess someone wants to build more prisons... silly americans...

I can firmly say without a doubt in my mind that I will be leaving this state as soon as possible. It's gone from pettiness to downright incurable stupidity.

There's actually another bill up for voting sometime soon I believe that allows employers to ask women for their personal use of birth control, because they feel employers shouldn't have to cover it under insurance if the employers themselves don't religiously believe in it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/27/arizona-birth-control-bill-processing-fee_n_1383841.html

This state is so ass backwards, it's not really funny anymore. I remember my friend posting a video back when we were electing our Govenor. I think it was something like 2 full minutes of petty name calling back and forth.

Don't come here, don't visit, it's just not worth it.

Man, i used to think Arizona was cool.

I'm an Australian and was planning to move to that nice climate'd state in a few years, just before my government brings out the thought monitoring devices. Was all set to conceal carry a 9mm at all times and drive badass old V8s with no exhaust, and now this shit?

Maybe Nevada?

Who wants to start a new country with me, where we can actually live instead of being fucking sheep with numbers printed on our sides?

Wow these legislator trolls are showing us normal average joe internet trolls up! Time to get srs, someones gotta troll these guys.

Buretsu:

Grey Day for Elcia:

Andy Chalk:

Then you should probably get glasses.

Arizona is indeed a very Christian state. I'm not shocked that a group of people notoriously intolerant would want to continue to make laws that enforce their views.

Yes, no talking out your ass THERE.

Because Arizona doesn't have a massive Christian population? Last I checked, more than 65% of Arizonians were Catholic or Christian--and that's ignoring the subsets.

Bible belt, yo.

I guess there is one bright side to this law, it's completely unenforcable. There simply aren't enough coppers in Arizona or even the U.S to stop everyone from acting like a jackass on the internet, PSN and X-box Live.

Seeing how the bill also tries to lump in those from outside Arizona - that just makes even more work for the one or two coppers who get saddled with enforcing this law.

poiumty:

Andy Chalk:

You shitting me? "We arrest people for offending someone over the internet" is not too unreasonable?

Sure glad I'm not living in Arizona.

"To annoy or offend"

Yeah I hear vague wording is really something. It'll totally be good and stuff. For the things.

I'll allow it if they DO end up with a distinction between trolls and other shmoes. Otherwise, go to hell.

i'll just give them the same passive support i give every other cyber terrorist. "i won't get my hopes up; but good luck with that."

ResonanceGames:
Pretty soon Arizona will just be Jan Brewer and Joe Arpaio because everyone else will be in prison. I guess it'll be up to those two to repopulate the state.

Try to get that image out of your heads.

I consider that harassment sir! Have fun in prison.

Something should be done, it seems like online we can get away with anything. I mean I've heard grown adult tell kids (who are all in-game) that they are going to rape them in their sleep. And this just seems normal. Sooner or later there has to be a limit.

"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a telephone any electronic or digital device

annoy

Fuck. That.

The fact that this is even a fucking thing is insulting to the human species. Funny thing is, I actually live here.

If there was ever a time to protest, now is it.

Objective of the game: destroy enemy tanks
Enemy players: we will sue you if you shoot at us because you annoy us.

well done america.

P.S. im offended by capcha: thumbs up

Dastardly:

Andy Chalk:
Internet Trolls Face Jail in Arizona

If you insult someone out in public, both of you have the opportunity to walk away and end your interaction, and neither of you has any claim to remove the other. You can surely complain to whomever owns the space, but odds are the law isn't going to come into it unless the involved parties start fighting (in which case both are usually in some trouble).

Now, if someone comes to your house to insult you, that's another matter. There, you have the expectation of being free from harassment, or even annoyance, from people you don't want to be there. If you tell them to leave and they don't, problem. If they leave, but come back again, problem. And the law will generally back you up on this (unless they somehow have some legal right to be there, too).

The legal system is pretty good at telling the difference, as evidenced by the fact that we aren't drowning in cases of people going to jail for calling someone an idiot at the DMV. The internet is just a different communication tool. It has its "public" spaces, and it has (to a degree) it's "private" spaces.

The idea that this law is going to be problematic is just our own reflex whenever we hear someone mention "internet" and "law." The problems we're predicting don't happen with analogous media in real life, so there's no reason to assume they're going to happen here. Will someone try it? Surely. And when it fails, we'll have clear legal precedent established, just like for our other laws.

I have been persuaded. I support the law. Shockingly, it isn't that hard to resist the urge to defend trolls.

Lol, America.

Andy Chalk:
"are deemed to have been committed at either the place where the communications originated or at the place where the communications were received."

Arizona, policing the entire god damn world. This had me laughing for about 5 minutes straight.

tbh "goatse surprisers" should be jailed...indefinitly!

Oh, you're offended by something on the internet? You must be new here.

So does that mean the "offended" page on the encyclopedia dramatica won't be accessible any more from Arizona?

Well, once again I am glad that I am living in a civilized country.

As an overly sensitive person who actually does get his feelings hurt online, I have to say that this is a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

You can't threaten someone over the internet? I call that fair, you're not allowed to do that in real life. You can't annoy or offend someone over the internet? I call that a DIRECT VIOLATION OF THE FIRST AMENDMENT.

That sounds incredibly unreasonable. I'm sorry, but this thing won't pass with its current wording. It's too blatant a violation of probably the single most cited right in this country: freedom of speech. Another law that applies to the internet made by dumbass politicians, half of whom don't know how to check their own e-mail.

I would say there's a need for an 'I'm from the pussy state and can't handle a bloody joke' icon next to Arizonians' usernames on sites if this were to fully pass.

I wonder how many 'potty-mouthed' kiddies will be arrested for this...there are merits to this law.

Holy fucking shit.

How is this kind of legislation not illegal?

Fuck yeah! Land of the Free! Home of the Brave!

And really? "It doesn't sound too unreasonable at first glance"?

You should be god damned ashamed of yourself.

I find it rather sad that there seems to be a roughly equal number of people in this thread who think I'm overreacting to an unenforceable, throwaway law, and who think I should be be excoriated for supporting an indefensible attack on our freedom.

Andy Chalk:

The internet can be a pretty ugly place, especially for those unprepared for its rough-and-tumble ways. The reasons are many and varied, but they can all be boiled down to one essential component of the human condition: people are jerks. If you've been playing online for more than, say, a couple of weeks, I can pretty much guarantee that you've trolled and been trolled. It's the nature of the game.

I'd say that's really more a property of the general social immaturity within online games and Internet forums rather than a general property of human beings. I don't run into anywhere near the concentration of out-right jerks IRL as I do in an online game. That's not to say that they're not out there, because they most certainly are. But, to me, the concentration definitely feels much higher once you have to deal with an online situation (like 1 in 5 online versus maybe 1 in 20 or 30 IRL; of course, I'm making those numbers up simply to give a quantitative illustration of my own personal experience).

It may be that whole anonymity thing, but I also hypothesize that, though it may have started that way, the phenomenon today is more the result of the socialization of the Internet. People are jerks on the Internet because that is what has become to be considered the "norm" on the Internet. If the Internet were to begin forcing a different "norm", say realizing that social graces and etiquette are still applicable even in a situation of anonymity, I think one may see a significant change.

In essence, the Internet needs some moderation to enforce more civil conversation; however, I'm not sure creating a law such as this is the correct response, as it seems prone to over-reaction and abuse for minor infractions of forum or chat guidelines. The only point at which I could see an actual need for judicial law would be consistent, targeted behavior to harass or threaten another person with real physical harm with a demonstrated definite intent to carry through such threats.

Andy Chalk:
I find it rather sad that there seems to be a roughly equal number of people in this thread who think I'm overreacting to an unenforceable, throwaway law, and who think I should be be excoriated for supporting an indefensible attack on our freedom.

I don't really think you're overreacting but I just can't bring myself to call this an attack on freedom per se. The reason I don't is, ever since I first started hearing about Arpaio and the Maricopa County Gestapo and their inhumane treatment of prisoners, even the untried "innocent until proven guilty" ones, I knew Arizona's governing body was batshit crazy. I also realize that this is a frivolous law that is totally unenforceable.

What state in the union is going to spend he money necessary to hunt down, arrest, and extradite one of their own citizens for annoying someone online? The "law" also mentions profanity. So if I type the word Fuck, which I just did, as soon as an Arizona resident reads that, I am now a criminal in the state of Arizona.

It is enfuriatingly ridiculous and frivolous but I don't see it as a trend that is soon to spread. Particularly due to the whole Federal level Freedom of Speech thing.

Andy Chalk:

I don't think people understand what trolling is, it's not calling someone a shithead or getting them a little agitated, it's making fake facebook accounts, going to the pages of family members who have recently suffered a loss and harassing them, which happens often. But, on their side you can't support such a vague and wide law. I see its need, though, you shouldn't be able to get away with this kind of disgusting behaviour at all just because the medium in which its done is new and makes it easy.

poiumty:

Andy Chalk:

You shitting me? "We arrest people for offending someone over the internet" is not too unreasonable?

Sure glad I'm not living in Arizona.

Yeeeeeeeeeeah I had to do a double take at reading that amendment myself.

First Reaction: Hmmm seems a bit strict
REAL Reaction: OH CHRIST!!! You can't be serious

It's very unreasonable and could definitely cause some serious issues in the future especially when it comes to teenagers and juvenile pranks.
If anything the Amendment sounds like a Authoritarian law being passed.

None shall call his fellow man a "Doody Head" lest he be faced with flogging and then a light roast at the stake

Andy Chalk:

How could you be overreacting? That law is most definitely a law that can't be upheld. It's too strict and can criminalize almost anyone.
It's too vague and generalized

Mcupobob:

annoy or offend

I could maybe get behind harass and threaten, but annoy and offend? I'm Offended and annoyed by this bill, and I'm viewing it on the Internet. Arizona you be trolling me.

Also the swearing thing is laughable.

EDIT

I once again take Steve Hughes side on this "Being Offended" bit but seeing as how his video has been posted hundreds of times in the forums I shall refrain from posting again.

Instead have this as compensation for offending me with such a stupid law, Arizona

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here