Internet Trolls Face Jail in Arizona

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

"are deemed to have been committed at either the place where the communications originated or at the place where the communications were received."

I... wha... huh?! Do these people not know how the internet works? By the very nature of the internet, EVERY communication is literally received EVERYWHERE. I really have to question the legality of a piece of state legislation that literally claims jurisdiction over EVERYTHING that happens on the internet, to say nothing of the issue of constitutionality.

Texas masterrace reporting in.
And isn't this the same problem we had with SOPA? Bad wording? This would make it illegal for me to say, camp the enemy's Genroom in Tribes as a Raider, because I know for a fact that's annoying as fuck, especially in small rooms like on Drydock or Crossfire.

So when women try to make a political statement by asking menstrual related questions on the facebook walls of anti-choice/anti-contraception lawmakers, they could be arrested for using "lewd language" and harassment.

Theoretically, I suppose anti-choicers who publish the names/addresses of abortion providers online could also face imprisonment for threatening and harassment.

Anyone care to wager on the odds of the law being applied equably?

Weren't Lulzsec UK based? Get some of those guys on this, if common sense won't make them realise how ridiculous this is then the time and money of having to extradite everyone will.

Pearwood:
Weren't Lulzsec UK based? Get some of those guys on this, if common sense won't make them realise how ridiculous this is then the time and money of having to extradite everyone will.

I'd rather them just deface Arizona government sites front pages with Dramaticas Offended page and watch the political posturing and chest beating that will arise, it would be glorious.

DaHero:

NezumiiroKitsune:
Being offended should not give you any ability to take up legal recourse.

It's called slander, and yes, someone can be arrested for "trolling" on TV, the internet should be no different.

While I think the wording is a bit vague, I fully agree that this would, after some changes, be a positive thing for the internet. Trolls SHOULD be considered criminals, they definitely aren't humans, that's for sure.

Next up: Griefers

Sylveria:

poiumty:
You shitting me? "We arrest people for offending someone over the internet" is not too unreasonable?

Sure glad I'm not living in Arizona.

A Red state that is making a law against offending or harassing people? Why do I get the feeling that this law won't be evenly applied. Bash on gays all day long? No problem. Say that Christianity isn't 100% correct? Off to jail with you.

I question what rock you've been living under. Homosexuals get it SO easy in this country, that all they have to do is say the words "hate speech" and they get what they want.

Christians? They don't get a voice in any matter, and are always being laughed at.

At least on the Internet. In real life, it's not as bad. On the Internet, I just keep quiet, unlike some people who for some reason still seem to believe that they can convert people over the Internet.

Versuvius:

I'd rather them just deface Arizona government sites front pages with Dramaticas Offended page and watch the political posturing and chest beating that will arise, it would be glorious.

That's pretty much what I meant by "Get them on it".

I must be about the only person on this website who supports this. At least in theory anyway. Trolling is something that just doesn't hold any appeal to me. It speaks poorly of your character. Every time I see/hear the phrase "you mad bro" I'd personally like to see the utterer executed. But these are also my opinions and I realize that everyone can't be held to them. So on one hand I'd like to run screaming in joy that such a measure is taken, on the other hand the fact that it is law and it attempts to hold people to a arbitrary moral code that they may not necessarily follow makes me want to vomit.

In my private universe trolling to piss people off would be met with a painful death penalty. But that is my PRIVATE universe and not reality.

I love how they have made annoying someone on the internet an offence punishable by law.
I'm easily annoyed person, so now i can just go to the homepage of the person i am annoyed by, and then complain aboyut it and they get arrested?

CAPTCHA: practice makes perfect

Ugh, as if I didn't have enough reasons on why I hate Arizona.

Yeah, good luck enforcing that one!

If they got every cop from every city in Arizona, they would NEVER be able to track down and persecute every person this could encompass.

I also can't wait to see how certain websites respond to this...

Arizona is on the verge of Chapter 11 and it wants to take on the internet next?

Hee hee. I think this bill should be passed. Know why? Well, for starters, every politician in America uses the internet, television, radio, and every other form of electronic media to bash his/her opponents during an election using vicious, intimidating, and frightening tactics. So this means that politicians can be arrested, fined, and even jailed for running for office. Ah, delicious irony.

As well, any religious website that says I'm going to hell because I don't believe in their god is trying to scare me; a clear violation of this bill if ever there was one and grounds for immediate monetary penalty.

Oh please let this bill pass. Please let it pass, so that I and all the other people who are thoroughly sick and tired of these elected nincompoops, who think of the internet as a series of giant tubes and create legislation in a vain and reactionary attempt to appease their vain and reactionary electorate extremists, can drag them into court, slam them with enormous fines, and make them realize at long last that they cannot legislate good manners.

The common consensus seems to be that harassment and threats if they occur on the Internet and I think that's something that has to go. I doubt this law, or whatever you call it, will have any affect in this matter.

This bill violates rule #1 "Do not feed the trolls"

Ryan Kish:
Meh, good point. Although I'm pretty sure that the bill classified trolling as threats,annoying people, ect. But you do make a valid point.

"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a telephone any electronic or digital device and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."

See how the bill did not use "trolling"? That's because we use the term incorrectly.

The expressions comes from a type of fishing. It's not supposed to replace "harassment". That's why my point is valid.

1 - People misuse the term "trolling" all the time
2 - Half of the internet overuses it to get off the hook

DaHero:
This on the other hand, this is NOT okay. People like this should never be allowed into society.

>implying people aren't like this in real life

Goddamn it.

If you think I am a bad person because me and my friends call each other "faggots" and insult each others' moms during any kind of competition, perhaps you need to reset your priorities.

Yeah. Let's ban rap. They say "faggot" a lot, they glorify acts like killing cops. They threaten rival rappers and talk about screwing their moms.

In fact, since we are talking about criminal behavior, let's ban every song about consuming drugs! That's about 60% of the songs made in the 70's.

Let's ban free speech. It's the only way to be sure.

Firstmark_Bannor:
I must be about the only person on this website who supports this. At least in theory anyway. Trolling is something that just doesn't hold any appeal to me. It speaks poorly of your character. Every time I see/hear the phrase "you mad bro" I'd personally like to see the utterer executed. But these are also my opinions and I realize that everyone can't be held to them. So on one hand I'd like to run screaming in joy that such a measure is taken, on the other hand the fact that it is law and it attempts to hold people to a arbitrary moral code that they may not necessarily follow makes me want to vomit.

In my private universe trolling to piss people off would be met with a painful death penalty. But that is my PRIVATE universe and not reality.

So you get rage when you see a sentence. You might need medication. I'm not kidding.

Trolling is an amazing activity because almost nobody can pull it off. If you can't piss people off, then I figure you must hate Halloween and April's Fools.

>nofunallowed.jpg

I feel like I'm being trolled by the entire Arizona government because of this bill and I'm hearing about it on the internet so somebody go arrest all of them.

I'm not entorely sure how I feel about this....On the one hand,it's annoying.On the other,is it really worth sending the cops over? Don't the cops have better things to do than arrest some teen because he was a jerk to some kid? Then again,I would like to see batdanm and timic83amv get what they deserve for messing with N.C. fans. Alright,fine. I'll admit it's a waste of police to arrest some jerk on the internet. 1st Amendment. While it IS annoying,that's all it is to most of us. Annoying. Let the cops go after real criminals.

I wonder how this law how and when it would be applied.

Andy Chalk:

"are deemed to have been committed at either the place where the communications originated or at the place where the communications were received."

For example.
Does it apply if the server is hosted in Arizona?
If the person who is doing the provoking is in Arizona?
If the person who it is being done towards is in Arizona?
If a 3rd party or moderator is in Arizona and makes a complaint?

And if the people are out of state, would other states recognize the law in itself? Leading to a lengthy drawn out case where some might even argue that it is against freedom of speech. And if the offending party is out of the USA, would it even be applied?

You know, as much as I'm sick of seeing trolling dominate the internet.

Somehow Arizona doing something like this is an insult to everyone who hates trolls. Not that everyone in Arizona is bad. But the state is notorious for anti-foreigner, anti-gay, anti-black, and anti-woman policies. Basically, the sorts of things that make up the majority of internet trolling.

And come on, let's not pretend trolling is the cute thing we make jokes about like "lol x video game developer is such a troll xD". There are real trolls out there in much of the internet with a much less cute face, because they're real trolls. Not the jokes we make in order to soften the act. The sorts of people who regularly engage in hate speech.

Remember that "British Tram woman" who was so reviled here for "saying nasty racist things and offending me". And how nobody seemed to disagree with her going to jail? That person did little more than what most trolls do.

While I can see why some people would disagree with such a thing. Including the jailing of said racist British woman. I also think it's easy to see why someone would want to give trolls some consequence for their words for once in their life.

It would certainly be nice if say, some of the most popular places on the internet, weren't so dominated by racism and other problematic things.

People threaten people with violence all the time in war games. How can you tell the difference? If this passes trolls will just accuse trolls to troll them.

this law is against the first amendment!!

It's not a bad idea but it needs to be reworded. I agree, it's too vague.

All i'm going to say that I (unfortunately) personally know several "adult-children" that wont grow up, that test and push their boundaries to see what they can get away with and how far they can go. These sort of people can only be dealt with by serving out fines or jail-time. There is no other solution. (these people think it's fun to harass others and go out of their way to do so. To my understanding, that's the what the spirit of this law is about, although in its current form, I agree, it would do more harm than good.)

Free speech is free speech. If an officer came to my door and gave me a ticket or whatever for trolling I'd wipe my arse with it.

jurnag12:
I have only one thing to say about being offended:

Awesome!
Never seen him before, love him after this!

Simple solution: Wait for them to post the law on the internet, file lawsuits against the lawmakers for being annoyed by this law.

They, after all, used an electronic device to write and post this law. And it doesn't even matter if you aren't from AZ.

poiumty:
but I'm... what's that word? Ah yes, not-a-fucking-douchebag.

I doubt anyone believes that.

In case you can't follow the bold, what it says is it's illegal to offend by using profane or obscene language.

Huh, thought you weren't going to do that.

In other words you can go to jail if you tell people to fuck off. Over the internet.

Hmmm...Let's put this to a test. Have you seen anyone get arrested for "offending" someone over the phone? No? And this same law already exists for phones?

Hmmmm....

The irony here is horrible.

Zachary Amaranth:

Hmmm...Let's put this to a test. Have you seen anyone get arrested for "offending" someone over the phone? No? And this same law already exists for phones?

Hmmmm....

Then that law's just as unreasonable. What's your point. Besides being incredibly obnoxious.

....why don't they just say "communications medium" instead of specifying "devices"? It fits their intent perfectly - "thou shalt not rely on distance to safeguard you from the consequences of being a jerk" - and is future-proof.

Well, see this is the slipper slope I've been worried about for a long time, with the left wing getting out of control with it's political correctness garbage. By going after people for things like "hate speech" even in fairly limited areas, the door has been opened to basically argue that you can't say or do something that anyone does not like or finds offensive at any time. The law doesn't generally discriminate in terms of intent, and when something might be deserved or not. Due to all these little "victories" through the years to protect minorities of one sort or another, we're starting to see them snowball into what amounts to general attempts at censorship.

After all if a gay, black, hispanic, muslim, or whatever has the right to be protected by a magical umbrella from anything hurtful or rude, the big question is why everyone isn't entitled to this, and really that is where this kind of legislation is coming from.

This is a big part of why I've been fighting in "defense" of these bigots, racists, and other sorts to say and do their thing, it's honestly NOT because I agreed with them in all cases, but because I saw this kind of thing coming, slowly but surely, and nobody wanted to listen. To those argueing against "hate speech" and such what I was saying was "just an excuse" yet here we are...

To be honest, I hate internet trolls with a PASSION. That guy who went to jail (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.241709-Man-Goes-to-Jail-for-Being-an-Internet-Troll), IMO, had it coming. Let's be honest: do you like trolls, even if they're not directing their baseless hatred or intentionally reaction-gauging comments at you? Trolls need to get it into their heads that they can't do what they do anymore.

I say, keep the arrest law for OUTRAGEOUS cases of trolling, like the case mentioned above, but just issue IP bans to the other cases.

This is a slippery and dangerous precedent they are setting here. I don't support this kind of legislation at all. People in this nation, and most nations are becoming such pussies that it boggles my damn mind. Awww, someone hurt your poor little feelers you fucking weakling? Grow some damn skin!

Our politicians need to be thrown the fuck out, they are truly making this world a prison planet.

Alright, well, address the warrant to Australia, and come pick me up for trolling some Arizona doochebag for being crap at ME3 online - we'll see what my country has to say about it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here