New MMO Prime World Will be Cheaper for Girls

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Isn't the whole point of a RPG to -roleplay-? Oh sure you can be a mystical warrior or mage in a land far far away, but god forbid your character's sex is different! Why enforce a gender? And using Facebook of all things is just pathetic.

This is going to fail miserably.

At first I was creeped the hell out but after realizing that men get the same bonus when playing male this has made me thought of one more thing. What about those people who identify with the opposite gender? And another thing why Facebook?

Spitfire:

Mike Kayatta:
"The game will be connected to your Facebook account, so it will actually be able to check your real-life gender.."

I suppose the devs have good intentions, but I don't think that sexism and privacy invasion is the way to go. If anything, why not just have in-game gender-exclusive abilities?

What if I don't have a facebook?
Will I be...Genderless?

"New MMO Prime World Will be Cheaper for Girls"

Pretty sensationalist title there Escapist ಠ_ಠ

[...] affect your character, his or her abilities, and the price of *in-game purchases*.

Title says that *game* would be cheaper for girls, gender based discrimination is illegal (not sure about Russian laws though).

they totally stole my idea! see, i'm working on a game where white males start off at level 85, get a huge, recurring bonus to gold and can get the best professions. white females start of at level 65 and are of course capped there. but still get the rest of the advantages of the white males.

next is black males who start off at level -15 and earn half xp. we believe that by doing this the white players will really understand and appreciate how hard their black friends worked to get to the same level.

since some asshat out there is going to misinterpret this...

my point is that this is blatant -ism. and if we aren't outraged by this, it's a slippery slope to what they'll do in the future based on race, gender, religion, jelly preference (strawberry ftw), and so on.

Arif_Sohaib:
With The Old Republic on one side, World Of Warcraft on another and The Secret World coming up soon who is even going to try another paid MMO?

It's not an MMO, it's a MOBA game (cf. DotA, LoL), as the article source and even OP specify. I have no idea why the title calls it one, besides lack of editorial oversight.

I have a few problems with this:
1. The paid MMORPG market is well and truly saturated. NO ONE is going to play this new one when there's WoW and Star Wars The Old Republic, just to name a couple of MMOs.
2. I have a problem with hooking games up to facebook in general, this just adds to it. When you link a game to facebook, all you get is GameSpam clogging up the feeds. Not to mention the needless privacy invasion. Besides, checking facebook isn't gonna help. Lying on facebook profiles is identical to lying when signing up for an MMO.
3. Yes, "shiny bonuses for girls" might attract girl gamers, but meanwhile you are throwing the more likely to play (and pay for) a MMORPG male demographic under the bus. This is only going to increase tension between genders and UNDERLINE inequality.

On an unrelated note: My capcha was to describe AOL with any words.

Is this thing even an MMO? The article calls it an MMO, but the PR guy they quoted called it a MOBA. Those are two very different genres, with a MOBA being basically a small scale RTS that has some mechanics taken from MMO combat systems. Aside from that and the whole thing being a stupid idea, I just don't see very many men who are interested in playing a game like that who wouldn't sign up for a fake Facebook account and claim to be female. I mean, they talk about hardcore MOBA players like they wouldn't do whatever it takes to not be at a disadvantage; do they not know the market they're making games for?

Speaking of which, Chevy, your ads have made me /less/ likely to ever so much as look at a Chevy Sonic. Sure, I'm aware of your brand now, but you've driven me to a point that I'd probably pay more just to avoid it now. Market research: learn how it works.

"To do the very best, you'll want a female player on your team." Yeah, I'm sure that because of this, the hardcore players will only see having a mix of both genders as a strategic bonus, not for the "true social atmosphere" they're going for in theory.

And what happens if your customers don't have a facebook account, or refuse to connect it to anything, like me? Not that I was really looking into this game anyway. It's just not my genre.

AdmiralCheez:
"To do the very best, you'll want a female player on your team." Yeah, I'm sure that because of this, the hardcore players will only see having a mix of both genders as a strategic bonus, not for the "true social atmosphere" they're going for in theory.

And what happens if your customers don't have a facebook account, or refuse to connect it to anything, like me? Not that I was really looking into this game anyway. It's just not my genre.

I guess it depends on how they market it. If they go the way that most Facebook linked games go, expect to have your inbox flooded with people letting you know they just leveled up.

Arif_Sohaib:
With The Old Republic on one side, World Of Warcraft on another and The Secret World coming up soon who is even going to try another paid MMO?

Exactly what I'm thinking. I can agree with some people that this feature sounds sexist, but how would this encourage either gender to play this game? MMORPGs are coming out like weeds when spring and summer roll around, so it isn't like there is a lack of MMORPGs for players to pick from this game.

Actually I think this is a good idea. Better than coming up with some sickening "Game for Girls" with ponies and pink stuff and stupid boyfriends and high heels and shit. It's a good way of trying to attract the other gender to play these games - treat them as adults, not as idiots.

Wow, because it's so hard to set up a new Facebook profile.
The definition of sexist is treating someone differently (for better or worse) based solely on their gender. This game does just that.

It is going to fail anyway. Random unheard of dev develops WoW clone? Yeah, cos that's not been done. Listen developers, Rift tried it, Darkfail tried it, Age of Conan tried it, Lord of the Rings tried it. The last two had awesome franchises to draw from. All you have is sexist bulls**t. Good luck to you and all 5 of your customers. Maybe it will succeed in Korea?

So to min max you have to be a girl?!?!

OH MY GOD

my face actually hurts from laughing I can't even breathe I am not joking.

I have to get my theorycraft man friend to play this game with me it will drive him INSANE.

(seriously though this seems kind of sexist...)

I'm intrigued. There are whole fuck ton of ways this could go wrong, but I could envision a world where it worked well. It's not very much like this one, but I suppose it's possible.

Oh you wacky Russians, always coming up with weird design choices.

Seriously, I love it when developers come up with bizarre ideas. I like it when games try something out of the mold, it's also a great way to test new concepts, whether good or bad (and as someone has already pointed out, there's benefits for male characters as well, though most people seem to be ignoring that to go the I AM OFFENDED AT THIS SEXISM routine).

martyrdrebel27:
they totally stole my idea! see, i'm working on a game where white males start off at level 85, get a huge, recurring bonus to gold and can get the best professions. white females start of at level 65 and are of course capped there. but still get the rest of the advantages of the white males.

next is black males who start off at level -15 and earn half xp. we believe that by doing this the white players will really understand and appreciate how hard their black friends worked to get to the same level.

since some asshat out there is going to misinterpret this...

my point is that this is blatant -ism. and if we aren't outraged by this, it's a slippery slope to what they'll do in the future based on race, gender, religion, jelly preference (strawberry ftw), and so on.

I am a level 13 White Asshat and I find this offensive.

And yet . . .I still dont want to play Prime World.
I think they have their hearts in the right place but this doesn't seem like a good idea at all . . . .

Just what the MMO world needs. Sexism.

It won't work, and it will probably die out anyway, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad intention. As someone else said, things like LoL and DOTA are gross dirty boy's clubs and I wouldn't disparage an effort to get more diversity coming in. Probably the wrong way to go about it.

This won't bother me, just as long as Facebook doesn't announce everything you do in game or something along those lines.

I find this pretty funny in the mean time.

Eri:
http://kotaku.com/5898398/this-game-offers-discounts-to-men-who-play-as-men Read this before making a ridiculous reaction. They should've put this info in the OP...

Okay, so it's not a stupid, sexist idea.

It's a regular stupid idea.

Why would you intentionally build a MOBA with imbalances that are literally not only a planned, but an advertised feature of a game?

The MOBAs that survive are designed to be competitive. That is, your gender gives you no advantage or disadvantage. It all relies on the skill of the individual, the skill of the team, the team composition and, most importantly, the team's ability to work together.

It can have a bunch of female players, but if it's inherently imbalanced the game just won't survive in the current turbulent waters of the MOBA genre. Considering the plethora of free and balanced alternatives, if someone has a team of mixed gender and it gives them a bullshit advantage, other players are going to call bullshit (which is fair) and just move on.

Likewise, this seems like it will just increase harassment from all the idiots out there. Not only do women currently get harassed online for no reason (besides that 13 year old kids think they're cool for doing it) now they can't even hide behind anonymity to disguise their gender. I don't think they should be NEEDING to do this in the first place, but it's an option when you're fed up with the bullshit.

Now you can't. And not only can you not, you have a "reason" to be the target of verbal assult from your opponents in that you're buffing your team and a lot of people are probably going to chide you over it.

This is just a bad idea.

EDIT: Could it just mean female and male CHARACTERS mixed? If the team benefits from a hero/champion male and female mix that's a whole other thing. It's kind of stupid, but it's not that bad as I believe men can still unlock female heroes and vice versa.

When I play DotA 2, I couldn't care less about gender.
In fact, I have never once even wondered what gender the people I play with and against are.
Why even make gender an issue in the first place?

Hookah:
MISANDRYYYYYYYYYY

lol how long have you waited to be able to use that word XD

I too thought the same, but at the same time for them to think ppl cant forge a facebook page is ridiculous.

the only female gamers this is going to attract is the "im female and special would you hunky nerds give me something" crowd

I keep trying to point out the stupidity of making such a sexist benefits package (and breach of privacy for such an inane reason) but each time I try to write it in words I end up ranting and banging my head on the table. So i'll leave it here before I go off the deep end.

Wow really?

Okay first, why the fuck? You've aimed this game toward girls, who don't play as many games as guys do anyway, let alone obscure, fantasy MMO's games like this.

And you've alienated just over half of your market right off the bat by saying they will have to pay more thanks to a difference in a fucking chromosome. Do you realize the lengths people go to, to avoid paying for stuff that probably won't be that good anyway!? It's usually piracy, but in this case, I'm sure they'll just find a better MMO.

And how the shit is that even enforceable!? Sign up screen? Are you a girl? "Erm..." You pay less if you're a girl! "Oh? Really? SURE THEN, FUCK YEAAAH TAMPONS."

What are they gonna do!? Request video evidence of your gender!?

I'm all for more girl gamers, I think they're a glimmer of hope in a fairly dredgy past time, but god... Captcha: 'that hurts'

I don't use facebook or have a vagina. Looks like I won't be playing this game.

As a female gamer I fervently hope this disappears and is never heard from again. An angry face would better describe how stupid and open for abuse I believe this idea is, so I will leave with this: >: (

I'm sure that people will be much more polite towards women playing this game now that they can see they're women. I'm sure there'll be no 'Get back to the kitchen bitch!!11' or 'See? Gurlz can't play gamez, men are teh hardcorez!' every time a woman makes any mistake whatsoever. Great idea, Prime World.

The game looks slightly interesting, however I don't want to be penalized for playing a female character if I'm a male. That's not fair, so I'll borrow my girlfriends facebook account and get the discounts and special skills.

Also, I won't even play because I don't want to pay for another subscription, so fuck that.

Realitycrash:

Spitfire:

Mike Kayatta:
"The game will be connected to your Facebook account, so it will actually be able to check your real-life gender.."

I suppose the devs have good intentions, but I don't think that sexism and privacy invasion is the way to go. If anything, why not just have in-game gender-exclusive abilities?

What if I don't have a facebook?
Will I be...Genderless?

Unless I misunderstand the way a game connected to Facebook works I believe that if you aren't on Facebook you won't be playing and I suppose you'll be genderless while not doing it.

Ha, this just reeks of desperation.
Why don't Nival create a dating service while they are at it. In Prime, gamers will skip the are-you-a-real-girl question and jump right to the are-you-fat question. Ding that's an improvement.

So a company is actually going to try a 'tits or gtfo' kind of system? Interesting.

so whats next, is filing your taxes going to require a fucking facebook connection? i know its an acillary issue, but this just angers me way more than any hilariously misdirected attempt to expand the gender base. i dont have facebook, and until my life is so utterly worthless that it must be communicated to the whole of the internet at regular intervals for validation, i never will. so, what about me, will the game just say "fuck off wierdo, we dont need your money"? will your stupidly backwards attempt to appeal to women deny me access to the game simply because i dont have facebook?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here