Microsoft Announces "Chrome" Xbox 360 Controllers

Microsoft Announces "Chrome" Xbox 360 Controllers

Worried that your Xbox 360 isn't properly blinged out? Microsoft has you covered.

Courtesy Microsoft spokesperson Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb comes word that the company is set to debut a line of "Chrome" controllers for the Xbox 360. No, they aren't made of metal, they're just really shiny.

To wit:

Today we're announcing the Xbox 360 Special Edition Chrome Series Wireless Controllers. Available in Blue, Red and Silver these controllers also feature the transforming D-pad.

The controllers will have an estimated retail price of US $54.99 each and will be available mid-May.

Color availability will vary by region, so please check your local retailer for specific information or visit xbox.com/accessories for more details.

Two points:

First, that "transforming D-pad" mentioned above is a neat little feature that allows the Xbox 360 standard directional pad to switch between either a four-way cross configuration or a circular layout. It's a comfortable, if not entirely foolproof, fix for those gamers whose thumbs are blistered from hours of playing fighting games on Microsoft's console.

Second, that $54.99 price tag is $5 more than the standard wireless controller price point. Presumably that's the exact amount of money required by Microsoft's PR team to stretch the meaning of the word "chrome" to include shiny red plastic.

Hryb's blog post also includes a link to a photo gallery of the upcoming controllers, and literalist sarcasm aside, these new controllers do look very pretty. I leave it to you whether they're worth the extra scratch, but those of you hoping to blind opponents mid-match may want to make the investment.

Source: Major Nelson

Not getting enough money for your old rope, Microsoft?

Pretty, but I sense, as with so many things with metallic paint that get handled, its' going to rub off fairly quickly and just look scrappy.

As such, not rushing to pay extra for a new colour.

So isn't the use of the word "chrome" false advertising? Anyway, seems like a fingerprint magnet to me.

It's red, like the ring!

That shiny won't last long, and when it fades I'll be left with a regular controller that's not even shiny. I would take it for the shiny, but I want my shiny to last forever like my shiny rock.

Hrm.. yeah they look nice and all. The color selection of red white or blue is kinda weak (no love for xbox green?!!?)

Anyway not really interested personally. If they made them out of actual heavy ass chrome, yes. If there had been a wired option, Yes. Otherwise its just another xbox controller with slightly less usability in its non PC centric focus.

Cool, but really not worth the extra money to shell out just for the sake of shelling out money.

Oh god do want >.>. I'm a sucker for pretty looking Xbox 360 controllers.

and here I was thinking that Microsoft was going to make a controller for the Google browser.

That's nice, but a quick bash through eBay will find you mod kits for all the colours of the rainbow.

Of course you have to fit the shiny shell/buttons yourself and it voids warranties, but who cares?! Warranties are for wimps!

Although I'm still waiting a controller made from milled aluminium, that would be bad ass.

Pfffft, just do what my little brother who never bathes does: wait until your natural grease gets all over a standard controller and POOF! You've got your own "chrome" controller.

I'd like to say this is stupid but at the same time if I needed a new 360 controller I would probably shell out the extra 5 dollars for this. I like shiny things.

Yay another poorly made controller that will break in 6 months!
I have bought several controllers, and believe me I take care of them, I always put them away and don't mistreat them. I use ps3 controllers just as much as much and treat the same have had no problems and its 2 years old. My current 360 controller died in 6 months. So yay a new controller I have to bloody buy that will break yet again. Why cant Microsoft make good hardware?

It sure seems like it will get dirty fairly quick.

Thanks but no thanks Microsoft, I prefer my boring looking white wireless controller.

If you gave me more robust analogue sticks, it'd be worth the 5 bucks. I hate when my character starts walking slowly forward when I don't want them to.

No Xzibit pictures yet...

I'm fine with the controller I have. This doesn't really seem like big announcement material. "Our controllers now have gloss!"

At the risk of getting a warning for my low content post...

Ghastly.

That is all I have to say.

I did not see any indication on any of the sources that these are shiny plastic. Can you provide proof of this statement or direct me to the part I overlooked?

It is funny to see the comments on flickr where people expect the whole controller to be metal.

WouldYouKindly:
If you gave me more robust analogue sticks, it'd be worth the 5 bucks. I hate when my character starts walking slowly forward when I don't want them to.

I hate when that happens to my controllers

problem with shiny plastic is that it wears down fairly fast on things of this kind

digital warrior:
I have bought several controllers, and believe me I take care of them, I always put them away and don't mistreat them. I use ps3 controllers just as much as much and treat the same have had no problems and its 2 years old. My current 360 controller died in 6 months. So yay a new controller I have to bloody buy that will break yet again. Why cant Microsoft make good hardware?

Funny, cause I still have the wireless controller that came with my first 360 like 3-4 years ago. And I don't exactly treat them nicely. They have a tendency to go flying across the room.

Uh..... that's..... great? I guess?

Anyone else find it comical that they spent so much time and money on the Kinect so you can "play without a controller" and then they come out with a new controller with roughly one half of a new function?

putowtin:

Hey you know people will buy this shit. Microsoft should be applauded for playing the American populace for chumps, nothing wrong with milking customers for every dollar they're willing to give.

Lucky you I'm on my 4th xbox and like 6th controller now.

digital warrior:

Strange. I bought a 360 controller for Windows back in 2006 and it's still working fine for me. Could perhaps need a wash, but that's all.

El Dwarfio:

putowtin:

Hey you know people will buy this shit. Microsoft should be applauded for playing the American populace for chumps, nothing wrong with milking customers for every dollar they're willing to give.

That's what worries me, sure if you need a new controller and want to spend 5 extra that's up to you, but I know people who will go out and buy this just so they've got the "newest" thing!

And is that Graham Chapman bobbing up and down?

putowtin:

El Dwarfio:

putowtin:

That's what worries me, sure if you need a new controller and want to spend 5 extra that's up to you, but I know people who will go out and buy this just so they've got the "newest" thing!

And is that Graham Chapman bobbing up and down?

Yeah it is :P I need to change it seeing as march mayhem is over, but cba atm and it's such a lovely face.

I'd probably get one but My brother keeps on stealing my xbox and breaking my con trollers...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here