Shadowrun Returns Comes to Kickstarter

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

octafish:
OK I'm in, I loved the pen and pager game. Does this mean a Paranoia CRPG is just around the corner?

Oooh yeaah, why there no "Like" button on Escapist comments! :)

Okay guys, after this one my wallet needs a break. Seriously.

Dexter111:

albino boo:
My would steam implement a non DRM game? Valve are not going to overturn their entire digital distribution system for the sake of one kickstarter game. They have no reason to spend money on implementing a non drm game. They just haven't thought it through.

Are you dense? :P

They'll offer the game through Steam AND through other non-DRM platforms like Desura, GamersGate or even their own Website, Steam doesn't hold up any kind of need for an "Exclusivity Agreement" for any game.

I don't think this has to do with this being available on Steam. The problem I foresee is that this will be available on Steam but if I donate now I won't get it on Steam, ergo I should just wait to see if it comes out and buy it on Steam defeating the entire purpose of a Kickstarter program. I would love a Shadowrun game like the one that is being presented, however, I also like having all my PC games in one area which for me and a lot of people is Steam.

So maybe if Mr. Weisman would wisen up and let us choose how we get our free copy I'd be more inclined to use my disposable income to help fund his pet projects.

Tim Shafer, what have you wrought upon the Internet masses...?

No offense to these guys, but I'm assuming that all Kickstarter-related projects started in the next few months will be video game related in some way, shape, or form now.

HellsingerAngel:
I don't think this has to do with this being available on Steam. The problem I foresee is that this will be available on Steam but if I donate now I won't get it on Steam, ergo I should just wait to see if it comes out and buy it on Steam defeating the entire purpose of a Kickstarter program. I would love a Shadowrun game like the one that is being presented, however, I also like having all my PC games in one area which for me and a lot of people is Steam.

So maybe if Mr. Weisman would wisen up and let us choose how we get our free copy I'd be more inclined to use my disposable income to help fund his pet projects.

If they are doing things like Wasteland 2 is you can get a DRM copy or a steam key, I'm not sure why you would want the steam version but if you do it probably will be an option. Why don't you just ask the devs rather than making illogical assumptions?

octafish:
OK I'm in, I loved the pen and pager paper game. Does this mean a Paranoia CRPG is just around the corner?

OK now I'm intrigued at the concept of a pen and pager game.

Well, how they used to be played was you took a pen and stabbed the cunt who's pager went off in the library/cinema/theatre/front bar/[insert place where telecommunications devices don't belong].

HellsingerAngel:

Well, for one thing you can just add it as a shortcut to your Steam game list. Everything is neat, tidy and where it belongs (I do the same thing). Or, according to the poster above me, you may well get a Steam key, so you don't even need to add the shortcut to Steam.

OT: I've only really heard the name Shadowrun, I was born to late to be familiar with these games, but that world sounds incredibly interesting. I haven't donated to any of the Kickstarter projects yet thanks to Amazon Payments not accepting Paypal, but my girlfriend got a credit card recently so I should be able to back this one. Hooray!

As much as I love this revival of all the great old game genres, these developers really need to agree to spread out their kickstarters. A lot of people are willing to drop a couple hundred bucks on some of these games. A lot less people are willing to do so once a month.

Wow, when I looked at it and pledged, it was at less than 100k and now it's almost 300k already. This will probably get to a million, easily.

Sounds like a neat idea. I'd be behind it.

TsunamiWombat:
*girlish squeal*

right there with you :D

When did this thing start? Because it's already nearly at its goal. I'm deeply impressed by just how successful Kickstarter is at funding this stuff.

I went ahead and donated $60 for the doc wagon card, but I really wish I had 10g to drop on the game to get Mike out here to GM for my group. Shadowrun is one of our staple games and we turn to it just about every other week.

darkstone:
I liike these kickstarter projects and all, but I'f really like them to pace themselves I can't exaclty fund these projects one after another in such a short time frame, I don't have that much money.

Don't have go fund them all ^^ Just pick the ones you want.

This one does peak my interest as the 360 Shadowrun sucked the fecal matter right out of my arse-forest.

Throwing cash at the screen didn't work, but luckily I have a credit card... :)

This Kickstarter must succeed. This game must be made. I want it. Badly.

-EDIT- Success! Already 10,333$ over the mark. :D

My group of friends and I have been playing the Shadowrun tabletop for over 10 years. Seeing this, and this man behind the wheel, if we had 10k between the group of us we would have dropped in in a heart beat.

Since that won't happen though, I'll have to settle for my name being in the credits.

I haven't played Shadowrun in any form for several years now. This is probably going to end up being the first Kickstarter I put in for. I wonder if I'll be able to recreate my wannabe rapper combat mage...

Darknacht:
If they are doing things like Wasteland 2 is you can get a DRM copy or a steam key, I'm not sure why you would want the steam version but if you do it probably will be an option. Why don't you just ask the devs rather than making illogical assumptions?

My question would be, why do I have to chase around the devs to get this information/option? I'm the consumer and they're asking for my money not even for a product, but a potential product. It's vaporware at this point and already they've lost my business because they don't have foresight into their preferred method of distribution. How does that look in the consumer market when a company that's asking for money doesn't have a solid plan going in? It's panhandling. Not to even mention that that project would then be questionable because if they don't have the understanding of the distribution side of the project, what's to say all the features they've promised don't make it into the game or are poorly handled? Again, this should be an option offered up front without my having to ask, especially considering the project type (small development team using digital distribution), not something I should have to bring up as a "hey, obvious point is obvious" request.

As for why? I've found Steam to be a reliable tool to organize my games, keep everything up to date without so much as having to think about it and has a great in-game overlay that seamlessly switches out to a chat box to talk with friends while gaming and browser to look up anything I may want to know while playing without the normal wait time/possible graphical readjustment normally associated with alt-tabbing out of full screen. All in all, it just works for me and it bothers me to have to have poorly handled clients when Valve has done an excellent job at proving that simplicity and convenience outweigh some intrusion into my gaming experience.

DustyDrB:
I'm positively giddy for this. Just...the kind of joy where you can't say words, so you just say things like, "Bleeargh!!! Bluga! Bluga! BLUUUUGA!!!"

I'm so incredibly bluga over this.

I'm more of the "SQUEEEEEAAAAAALLLL!" variety, but I think mental noises or physical chirps of barely-repressed glee count as synonyms for "bluga".

Yeah. A decent Shadowrun game? Yes, please.

Dexter111:

albino boo:
My would steam implement a non DRM game? Valve are not going to overturn their entire digital distribution system for the sake of one kickstarter game. They have no reason to spend money on implementing a non drm game. They just haven't thought it through.

They'll offer the game through Steam AND through other non-DRM platforms like Desura, GamersGate or even their own Website, Steam doesn't hold up any kind of need for an "Exclusivity Agreement" for any game.

Where does it say that smartarse? Guess what its says that nowhere, if you don't have in your terms and conditions you can be sued. We live in the world where gamers sue go to court because they dont like the ending of ME3, some smart arse, just like you, can take them to court and this case stand a high chance of winning. Its baldy thought through, they have committed themselves to things without understanding of the consequences. They have drm free because all the others have said the samething, they have just assumed because someone else has done it they can do it. By not stating that the drm free version will only be available from their website, they have opened up the option for it to be argued that the kickstarter and there website has led to reasonable a exception of a DRM free version being downloadable by steam. Legal departments exist for a reason dimwit.

HellsingerAngel:

Darknacht:

My question would be, why do I have to chase around the devs to get this information/option? I'm the consumer and they're asking for my money not even for a product, but a potential product. It's vaporware at this point and already they've lost my business because they don't have foresight into their preferred method of distribution. How does that look in the consumer market when a company that's asking for money doesn't have a solid plan going in? It's panhandling. Not to even mention that that project would then be questionable because if they don't have the understanding of the distribution side of the project, what's to say all the features they've promised don't make it into the game or are poorly handled? Again, this should be an option offered up front without my having to ask, especially considering the project type (small development team using digital distribution), not something I should have to bring up as a "hey, obvious point is obvious" request.

As for why? I've found Steam to be a reliable tool to organize my games, keep everything up to date without so much as having to think about it and has a great in-game overlay that seamlessly switches out to a chat box to talk with friends while gaming and browser to look up anything I may want to know while playing without the normal wait time/possible graphical readjustment normally associated with alt-tabbing out of full screen. All in all, it just works for me and it bothers me to have to have poorly handled clients when Valve has done an excellent job at proving that simplicity and convenience outweigh some intrusion into my gaming experience.

So let me get this straight. You not going to, and indeed telling other people, Not to get a game (I know it's vaporware right now) because it won't go right to Steam? That seem rather petty. And don't say you're not telling other people what to do. By posting that amount text, it's just far to heavily implied.

Let me just grab my flame shield just a sec......

Ok, I really liked the shadowrun FPS, played a lot of it back when I still used my Xbox, kind of disappointed that it's not another one they are tring to make here.

I got it on PC aswell, but Games for Windows Live was such a joke that it was a pain in the ass to use.

brunothepig:

OT: I've only really heard the name Shadowrun, I was born to late to be familiar with these games, but that world sounds incredibly interesting. I haven't donated to any of the Kickstarter projects yet thanks to Amazon Payments not accepting Paypal, but my girlfriend got a credit card recently so I should be able to back this one. Hooray!

and even if ya somehow don't, they just open up the option to donate to the cause via paypal.

Hawk of the Plain:
Let me just grab my flame shield just a sec......

Ok, I really liked the shadowrun FPS, played a lot of it back when I still used my Xbox, kind of disappointed that it's not another one they are tring to make here.

I got it on PC aswell, but Games for Windows Live was such a joke that it was a pain in the ass to use.

most flaming comes from the fact itīs a arena fps of a rpg setting, itīs like if you took mozart and make a rap remix, ya just do that X3

I'm still waiting for the battlefront 3 kickstarter article. Since clearly that's the only way those guys will get off their butts to make the damn thing.

WOW. I really thought I would never get to play an Isometric game ever again. I mean Fallout one and two were just pure gold and to see Wasteland 2 get made is unbelievable (though Wasteland was before my time, I'm still excited) AND NOW Shadowrun game. Man when everyone was sitting down to play their Sonic on genesis, i only cared about two games; Pirates Gold and Shadowrun. If Sid Mieres announces he's making another Pirates game after this I'm going to start getting suspicious I haven't merely died and gone to heaven. Seriously this is the first time I've been so genuinely and unreservedly excited for a game since Fallout 3. But not just one, three games! O_O
I keep trying to remind myself, I first need to see the fruits of this funding before I start proclaiming gaming is starting to move towards a optimisitc future... but i can't bat away these sparkles of happiness shooting from my eyes even still.

HellsingerAngel:

Darknacht:

If you don't like it then you don't have to get it. One of the reasons I'm supporting it is because they have the foresight to distribute it in a way that does not require Steam, because in may experience Steam is terribly clunky, bad at updating games, good at breaking games and DLC, and simply unnecessary. I am glad that none of the games I am supporting are using Steam as their preferred method of distribution.
If you don't want to support this game just because they did not bother to tell you that you can get it on Steam that is your choice, but the rest of us are going to support it because we think that this could be a great game and supporting the game now give them more money to make it even better.

albino boo:

Dexter111:

albino boo:

Where does it say that smartarse? Guess what its says that nowhere, if you don't have in your terms and conditions you can be sued. We live in the world where gamers sue go to court because they dont like the ending of ME3, some smart arse, just like you, can take them to court and this case stand a high chance of winning. Its baldy thought through, they have committed themselves to things without understanding of the consequences. They have drm free because all the others have said the samething, they have just assumed because someone else has done it they can do it. By not stating that the drm free version will only be available from their website, they have opened up the option for it to be argued that the kickstarter and there website has led to reasonable a exception of a DRM free version being downloadable by steam. Legal departments exist for a reason dimwit.

You can distribute DRM free games through steam Paradox does it, its just a bit awkward. You need to try to know a little about what you are talking about before you start railing on others or it make you look like a dimwit.

Only took about 28 hours but the kickstarter has gone beyond the initial goal...

Super excited!

Christopher Callahan:
So let me get this straight. You not going to, and indeed telling other people, Not to get a game (I know it's vaporware right now) because it won't go right to Steam? That seem rather petty. And don't say you're not telling other people what to do. By posting that amount text, it's just far to heavily implied.

Now, I was going to write up a counter point to these accusations, but I then this conveniently came along...

Darknacht:
If you don't like it then you don't have to get it. One of the reasons I'm supporting it is because they have the foresight to distribute it in a way that does not require Steam, because in may experience Steam is terribly clunky, bad at updating games, good at breaking games and DLC, and simply unnecessary. I am glad that none of the games I am supporting are using Steam as their preferred method of distribution.
If you don't want to support this game just because they did not bother to tell you that you can get it on Steam that is your choice, but the rest of us are going to support it because we think that this could be a great game and supporting the game now give them more money to make it even better.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Whether that's petty or not, I suppose, is your opinion, however I don't think it's petty to not want to give money to make something I don't want. If they want to broaden their market, they should broaden the availability of the game, simple as that.

As for you, Darknacht, I totally agree! I think it's great that the company is setting it up for a non-DRM solution for people like you. What simply disappoints me is that they take the extreme instead of coming to the logical solution: ship it both ways. Valve has never had a problem in the past with companies selling in other venues so it just seems odd they wouldn't have tried to strike a deal with them. Then again, maybe they did. I suppose we might never know. However, I'm glad you can get a game you want in your preferred format and I certainly encourage you to support the game if that's what you want gaming to be. =)

HellsingerAngel:
As for you, Darknacht, I totally agree! I think it's great that the company is setting it up for a non-DRM solution for people like you. What simply disappoints me is that they take the extreme instead of coming to the logical solution: ship it both ways. Valve has never had a problem in the past with companies selling in other venues so it just seems odd they wouldn't have tried to strike a deal with them. Then again, maybe they did. I suppose we might never know. However, I'm glad you can get a game you want in your preferred format and I certainly encourage you to support the game if that's what you want gaming to be. =)

They are distributing through Steam as well as DRM free.

This could be so incredibly awesome...or not. Here is to hope...
Take all my Yen...TAKE IT ALL!

Darknacht:
]They are distributing through Steam as well as DRM free.

Yup, which is cool, so I probably will get a copy. Doesn't make me want to pledge though, considering the pledge copy is DRM-free, aka not Steam, which was the entire crux of the argument to begin with.

HellsingerAngel:

Darknacht:

Yup, which is cool, so I probably will get a copy. Doesn't make me want to pledge though, considering the pledge copy is DRM-free, aka not Steam, which was the entire crux of the argument to begin with.

DRM-free does not mean not Steam, Victoria II and Europa Universalis 3 are DRM-free on Steam.

Darknacht:

HellsingerAngel:

Darknacht:

DRM-free does not mean not Steam Victoria II and Europa Universalis 3 are DRM-free on Steam.

A lot of games on Steam are not additional DRM-free, but Steam in and of itself is DRM. sort of the point of the service.

HellsingerAngel:

Darknacht:

HellsingerAngel:

DRM-free does not mean not Steam Victoria II and Europa Universalis 3 are DRM-free on Steam.

A lot of games on Steam are not additional DRM-free, but Steam in and of itself is DRM. sort of the point of the service.

Most games on Steam also use Steam DRM but not all. I can install Victoria II using Steam and then copy it to any directory on my computer I want to or even uninstall Steam and it will still work. Using Steam DRM is not a requirement for using the Steam install, update, and interface platform.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here