Shadowrun Returns Comes to Kickstarter

Pages PREV 1 2 3

its worth $15 to see them stone the producer of the FPS.. now thats got potential in itself

For everyone asking about distribution, here is some cut'n'paste from the FAQ on the kickstarter page

"For mobile tablets, Shadowrun Returns will be available via iTunes, Android Marketplace, and the Amazon Android marketplace. For PC, the game will be available on Steam and our website."

So, yes, it will be distributed by Steam as well as their own site. Now I'm just waitin for my paycheck to show up....

Question:

One benefit of having a producer is that it keeps the production moving. With Kickstarter, what is stopping these game companies from taking "too long" to finish the game?

Ihniwid:
Question:

One benefit of having a producer is that it keeps the production moving. With Kickstarter, what is stopping these game companies from taking "too long" to finish the game?

Neither method is perfect.

There's nothing stopping them from going all Valve and not actually releasing anything for a long ass time. Actually there is, the money donated would run out and they couldn't pay their employees or bills anymore.

Hypothetically they could start up another kickstarter thing but good luck asking for more after the first run fell short. Even if they legitimately fell short from what they expected the cost would be they would forever be labeled as con-artists by the internet for swindling people out of their money.

Mmm, I agree.

Awexsome:

Ihniwid:
Question:

Neither method is perfect.

There's nothing stopping them from going all Valve and not actually releasing anything for a long ass time. Actually there is, the money donated would run out and they couldn't pay their employees or bills anymore.

Hypothetically they could start up another kickstarter thing but good luck asking for more after the first run fell short. Even if they legitimately fell short from what they expected the cost would be they would forever be labeled as con-artists by the internet for swindling people out of their money.

Mmm, I agree.

I like to think that the Kickstarter trend is, overall, a positive one, but I'm hesitant to say it is not without its problems. One the one hand, the developer doesn't have to worry about explaining certain decisions to a corporate team who's bottom line is dollar signs. On the other hand, Kickstarter allows the unlimited freedom to decide, and this can possibly cripple the expectancy generated from the vast number of sponsors through the website.

The whole thing reminds me of the indie film movement of the 1970s. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but at least the end product was what the creative team strived to make. Rather than, of course, a clash of creative ingenuity and corporate flowcharts.

albino boo:
Yet again the this kickstarter is going to run into problems. For $15 you get a DRM free version, well guess what you have just ruled yourself out from using steam and origin. They are the 2 largest digital distribution operators in the world, it seams kinda of dumb from the get go to cut them out. The vast majority of gamers don't look at kickstarter, there is danger that only the tiny fraction is ever going to hear about games produced this way. Lets be frank being on steams front page is going to get you far more sales they being on the front page of the escapist.

Fun fact, games can have no DRM and steam DRM at the same time.

Ever heard of the Witcher 2? Anyone who ordered it from GOG got a DRM free version, yet it was also on Steam.

godofallu:

Ever heard of the Witcher 2? Anyone who ordered it from GOG got a DRM free version, yet it was also on Steam.

Fun fact unless you state that that the drm free version will not be on steam you are guilty of false advertising.

albino boo:

godofallu:

Fun fact unless you state that that the drm free version will not be on steam you are guilty of false advertising.

I don't see anywhere on the Kickstarter page where they would be guilty of false advertising. Do you have a quote or are you just throwing out a hypothetical problem?

I would assume the DRM free version would be a download link, not not steam related.

Poor Mitch Gidelman. The fps wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't in the same spirit as the source material. Change the name and no one would hate it.

This does sound pretty cool.

I love Shadowrun from the first time I rented it as a Sega game. I originally first bought the Xbox 360 because Shadowrun only was being released on Xbox. WHAT A DISSAPOINTMENT. I'd love to see the game as an MMO but being released as described here may get it more recognition to the youngsters that may only know the game from the lame shooter. I'm super pumped to see what happens out of all this.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here