Notch Unveils His New Game

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Notch's new game is a hard sci-fi something or other called 0x10c.

The truth is that I'm not sure exactly what Notch's new game is in any specific sense and I have no idea how to pronounce the title [although I suspect there's some kind of phonetic play going on here; Zero Extents, perhaps?], but it sure sounds like it'll be something... well, I don't know. All that Notch himself has said about 0x10c is that it's new, it's a space game, it's "quite ambitious" and there will likely be a monthly subscription fee for online play.

The game will take place in a parallel universe in which the space race never ended. Thanks to an unfortunate miscalculation that smacks of forgetting to convert to metric, what I assume was the entire population of Earth was put to sleep in 1988 and didn't wake up until the year 281,474,976,712,644 AD [not kidding here], with the entire universe teetering on the brink of extinction. What happens at that point isn't really clear but the dev team "hopes to include" lots of hard science and engineering, a fully-working in-game computer system, space battles, duct tape, seamless planetary landings, an advanced economic system, single and multiplayer action and a whole lot more.

Whatever it turns out to be, it sounds like 0x10c will be aimed first and foremost at the techno-wonks in the crowd. "The computer in the game is a fully functioning emulated 16 bit CPU that can be used to control your entire ship, or just to play games on while waiting for a large mining operation to finish," Notch explained. "Full specifications of the CPU will be released shortly, so the more programatically advanced of you can get a head start."

0x10c is still very early in the development process but the plan is to release it early, much as was done with Minecraft, and let the players help guide the development of the game. More information about the game, including a partial DCPU-16 spec doc - because nothing says "tons o' fun!" like "In this document, anything within [brackets] is shorthand for 'the value of the RAM at the location of the value inside the brackets'" - is up now at 0x10c.com.

Because Eve Online didn't have ENOUGH spreadsheets.

This sounds a lovely light hearted adventure.

Well, blow me down with a feather. Mars Effect wasn't entirely an April Fool's joke after all. Considering the mass appeal of Minecraft, this may well be worth keeping an eye on.

I look forward to playing this game when it gets released which, by the sounds of it, will happen sometime around Q4 281,474,976,712,644.

Hard(-ish) Sci-Fi + Space Travel + Assembly Coding?
WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE!!!!!!!!

Ah, he did add the most sacred engineering tool ever invented, duct tape! If some of you knew the amount of duct tape that is in some American nuclear plants, you'd faint.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. An in-game 16-bit CPU sounds pretty cool, if a bit underwhelming now that we've seen it in his other game.

So going from the cheap and extremely casual and yet fun Minecraft to a complex and from the sounds of it hardcore space MMO that you have to pay a subscription for is the next logical step from Notch's point of view?

Am I missing something here?

OH GREAT, NOTCH STARTS TO GET A HARD ON FOR ASSEMBLY CODING AND FIGURES HE SHOULD PUT IT IN HIS GAME. 16 bit....:/...what is this, 1988.OH...oh i see.

btw 0xSOMETHING is a programming expression, usually used for hexadecimal writting n such n i never realy gave a shit. you see it a lot, in, GUESS WHAT, assembly coding...

Andy Chalk:
Earth was put to sleep in 1988 and didn't wake up until the year 281,474,976,712,644 AD [not kidding here]

I just want to say if you're very familiar with powers of 2 that's actually rather funny.

( 281474976712644 - 1988 = 281474976710656 = 248 years asleep.)

Andy Chalk:

Where are the Yo Dawg jokes? A game that you might actually need to buy a game in in order to help you pass time playing the game? I'm So Meta Even This Acronym.

Sounds incredibly ambitious, and I hope he can make it happen... but it sounds like a lot of it will be centered around the in-game computer system.

Who wants to bet that Minecraft was a fluke and that Notch's next game won't be nearly as good or as popular?

I'll reserve judgment, but I'm highly sceptical.

Daystar Clarion:
Who wants to bet that Minecraft was a fluke and that Notch's next game won't be nearly as good or as popular?

I'd say everyone who isn't a Notch fanboy would bet that.

Daystar Clarion:

Who wants to bet that while not as great as minecraft it will still be decent or good?

JokerboyJordan:

Daystar Clarion:

I enjoyed Minecraft, but at the end of the day, it's just a lego set.

Notch may very well be getting ahead of himself.

This sounds like the kind of game I'd love...

...except I have no knowledge of programming and absolutely no interest in it. I don't mind him aiming at those who do, but that is going to be a very niche audience. And even if they take steps to make it more openly accessible, I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing a game where I felt I was permanently scavenging code off of those who actually knew what they were doing.

The plans for this game do sound rather ambitious. I hope he's not working on it alone.

Great, now I kinda want to create compilers for this virtual CPU.

Catchy title eh?

I'm particularly excited about the Duct Tape features.

In all seriousness this seems like EVE. As one of the people who like EVE I hope Notch the best of luck.

Daystar Clarion:

JokerboyJordan:

Daystar Clarion:

I enjoyed Minecraft, but at the end of the day, it's just a lego set.

Notch may very well be getting ahead of himself.

This is going to be better, because it has a subscription fee!

Subscription fee? Jeez this guy has completely sold out yet people still worship the damn guy like he's the Neo of gaming.

I am so glad I learned to work with assembly languages back in college. All that suffering with MARIE will finally be worth it.

If my basic grade mathematical knowledge is correct 0x10^c (on the icon next to c is superscript, so "power of" as in 4^2 = 4x4 = 16)

x10^X is a convention for denoting large numbers in small. So 1 Trillion would be written as 1x10^12 and the ^12 means the '12' is supposed to be in superscript.

0'000'000'000... recurring, with the number of zeroes equal the "Speed of light" which is approximately 300'000'000 meters/sec or 1 billion feet per second. But in a sense, C is kind of symbolic for a "really big finite number" that is also the fastest speed in the universe.

So in other words, the title is: many MANY zeroes.

To give you an idea of how many zeroes, see this block of zeroes:

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000...

Now repeat that block 600'000 times, so if that block of zeroes is just over an inch high on your screen, then in total the column of zeroes would be over TEN MILES HIGH! Yet it is still a value of zero. Just a 03 is the same as 3.

And all that is the long form equivalent of the title:

0x10c

The mathematician in me is intrigued just by the title alone. Though it still reduces down to just plain '0' it is still really really big zero!

Sooo... How long do you think it will take before you can play Minecraft on that in-game computer?

Jove:
Subscription fee? Jeez this guy has completely sold out yet people still worship the damn guy like he's the Neo of gaming.

Looking on the website, it does say that only the multiplayer has fees, if you want to play it single player you can and there will only be a one time fee to buy the game.

Hope that makes it less of a sell out.

Hardcore_gamer:
So going from the cheap and extremely casual and yet fun Minecraft to a complex and from the sounds of it hardcore space MMO that you have to pay a subscription for is the next logical step from Notch's point of view?

Am I missing something here?

Personally I found minecraft a bit boring, could never really get into it. Im guessing his aim here is to hit the other end of the spectrum so the people who never got into minecraft might find something they like with this one.

It actually looks like fun, maybe a slightly less complicated version of EVE with some interesting features

Jove:

There is only a sub if you want to play the multiplayer single is just b2p
Which i can understand a game like this could require alot of money to keep the servers running and make new money.

I'm going to call it zero ecstasy (zero x ten c) until an easier to discuss name comes out.

I am a huge supporter of space games about space. A spacecraft game, essentially what spore promised us and didn't deliver, would be delightful.

Combine minecraft with elements of civ, sim city, and master of orion, and you have me a happy man.

However, this does not seem to be... that.

Maxman3002:

Jove:

Looking on the website, it does say that only the multiplayer has fees, if you want to play it single player you can and there will only be a one time fee to buy the game.

Hope that makes it less of a sell out.

Not really since Minecraft overall is a one time buy game whether you play it for single player or multiplayer.

I'm not really a fan of mine craft myself, I just find the worshipping for Notch to be grossingly annoying.

rolfwesselius:

Jove:

Which i can understand a game like this could require alot of money to keep the servers running and make new money.

So why does Minecraft multiplayer not have a subscription fee?

Heck, subscription are slowly proving to be out of date business models anyway. Why is Guild Wars 2 a one time buy?

Treblaine:

The mathematician in me is intrigued just by the title alone. Though it still reduces down to just plain '0' it is still really really big zero!

Or maybe not the usual magnitude of ten, with a preceeding factor; a prefix of: "0x" is a common way to denote hexadecimal numbers, so sixteen to the power of the speed of light? That's a fairly large number... :9

Treblaine:
If my basic grade mathematical knowledge is correct 0x10^c (on the icon next to c is superscript, so "power of" as in 4^2 = 4x4 = 16)

Actually, as pointed out above, 0x is commonly used to indicate hexadecimal. So 0x10 is 16. The time frame for the games puts the game 2^48 years in the future or 16^12 years in the future. So I think the allusion in the title is that humanity was supposed to be asleep for 0x10^c years. c was probably supposed to be something like 1 to 3, but due to a programming bug, 12 was used instead.

I'm going to pronounce it "One-Zero to the C" until I hear otherwise.

Jove:
Snip

I think the idea behind this one is the online world is constantly occouring if your online or not, time is meant to pass and things change whilst your offline and its all going to be within the main servers rather than individuals servers that minecraft works on.

Basicly hes making a MMO with a single player option.

Ive never had any love for Notch and like I said in the previous post, I never liked minecraft, but if hes releasing a MMO with a single player option free on it then thats better than any other MMO developers I know.

Also I hate the fact you have to pay for an MMO when you first get it (With the big ones) and then again to actually play it. At least this way I can buy the game and play it without subscription

Jove:

rolfwesselius:

Jove:

So why does Minecraft multiplayer not have a subscription fee?

Heck, subscription are slowly proving to be out of date business models anyway. Why is Guild Wars 2 a one time buy?

1:
Because Minecraft relies on user run servers.
This uses dedicated servers.WHICH COST ALOT OF MONEY.
Hell a 32 player 1 gb ram server already cost 15 dollars a month in maintenance and electricity. imagine ones made for millions of players,Yikes those are big electricity bills.
This is an mmo in all but names.
2:what god written law says subscriptions will always be 13 dollars?
It could be 50 cent so shut up.

Maxman3002:

Jove:
Snip

I think the idea behind this one is the online world is constantly occouring if your online or not, time is meant to pass and things change whilst your offline and its all going to be within the main servers rather than individuals servers that minecraft works on.

Basicly hes making a MMO with a single player option.

Ive never had any love for Notch and like I said in the previous post, I never liked minecraft, but if hes releasing a MMO with a single player option free on it then thats better than any other MMO developers I know.

Also I hate the fact you have to pay for an MMO when you first get it (With the big ones) and then again to actually play it. At least this way I can buy the game and play it without subscription

Except this has already been done. Diablo 2 and Guild Wars 1. And probably other MMOs that I haven't heard about.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here