BioWare Announces Post-Ending DLC for Mass Effect 3 [Updated!]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Hmm interesting. I really never thought Bioware would do this. I'm actually very impressed. A large majority of their fans disliked the ending so Bioware have gone out of their way to try and repair both the game and their reputation with free ending dlc. Most interesting.

I don't like the ending purely because I think it's badly written and doesn't utilise the wealth of brilliant characters and themes in the Mass Effect universe to ultimately come to a sophisticated and satisfying conclusion. So I doubt any epilogue will really help me enjoy the ending anymore. But it's cool to see that Bioware are responding to the criticisms of those who maybe liked the ending but wanted some more closure in the form of an epilogue. It's free too!

I'm starting to see this as very much a good thing. Maybe I should have campaigned to have better ending (for free) in Deus Ex:HR?

Zachary Amaranth:
Moviebob won't be happy with this.

I can't be the only one who thought that.

No, you weren't. Although it's not just Moviebob, but he's made himself the figurehead for the Sanctity of Art argument.

As an animator, I find that argument to be absolute bullshit. If my client and I agree on a spec for an animation and I delivered a product nothing like the spec just to say I got it done by the deadline, then my client would (if they had any brains or self-respect at all) refuse to pay until I did it right. If I were to protest that changing it would compromise my artistic integrity, then (again if they had any brains or self-respect at all) they would fire me and warn their colleagues not to hire me.

Rushing things out to meet deadlines is not art. It's called being fucking undeserving of the opportunity to contribute to the work. In fact I could go further and say that rushing something out to meet a deadline is itself spitting in the face of artistic integrity.

Moviebob has attacked people before who he doesn't like for the same reason ME3 fans are attacking Bioware. He seems to be unable to see what the situation is here. He should know better and it's rather disgusting reading the tweets he's made.

Please stop being impressed that Bioware is releasing this DLC for free.

They are currently in damage control mode. Releasing this DLC for a fee would not have helped them. They need to do something like this in order to release DLC that you have to pay for(I am not against DLC you have to buy) without more blowback.

Well, as long as it gives a conclusion to the major sideplots, at the minimum, then I'll be happy. It'd be nice if the more minor ones had a conclusion as well, but knowing what happened to my surviving squadmates/other major characters and to the peace between various races that I brokered will be good enough for me. (I do understand that event flags can make tying up EVERYTHING rather hard.)

I am not really expecting much of this. I can't even fathom how they could possibly fix the ending of ME3 without rewriting it. If you hand me a pile of shit and then after I complain, you agree to give me clarity on how important that pile of shit is, and how without it, life cannot continue. That is all well and good but it is still a pile of shit.

It still doesn't change the fact that a ghost-child pops up at the last 5minutes and changes everything you ever learned about the Mass Effect lore. It still doesn't change that everything you've ever done throughout the series comes up to choosing your favourite of 3 colours.

The ending doesn't need clarification, it needs to be re-written

I mean really...no matter what you choose, the mass relays still get destroyed. This effectively ends the entire universe of Mass Effect, seeing as space travel is 'kind of important'. A massive fleet will still be stranded on a half-dead Earth and once supplies run out they will all starve to death. Everyone will be stuck wherever they were when the relays were blown up. Your squad still abandoned you and left with joker to colonise some jungle world.

Theres so much shit to wipe up...can this really fix everything? I have a feeling that it won't but at least they're doing something I guess.

A couple of things to note from this though:

1. This pretty much proves that the indoctrination theory is NOT true.
2. MovieBob and all the other critics will be maaaaaad.

edit: I like how they did this to "appease the few people who wanted closure" (paraphrased slightly). Making it sound like a minority of gamers were unhappy. 90+% of gamers is nowhere close to a minority.

It's like when a news anchor makes an apology and starts off with "To anyone that I offended..."

Just admit you fucked up.

Free
Optional
Clarification
Closure

Well, it ticks all my boxes. OK Bioware, you've got the benefit of the doubt back, don't fuck it up, for pity's sake.

idarkphoenixi:

2. MovieBob and all the other critics will be maaaaaad.

Critics get mad when anyone but them complain. Also, there is a sense of powerlessness that goes with being a critic and when the unwashed masses get things changed the critics get indignant.

There's one part of me that's very happy because I just want closure and I hope the cut scenes will provide that (i.e. Tali building a home on her world, construction of a new Citadel, maybe Liara with a little blue baby if you romanced her).

There another part of me that kinda wishes the Indoctrination theory was correct. I'd get to play more as Cmdr Shepard, which would be sweet. It's more aligned with the themes that played out throughout the series. There wouldn't be so many plot holes. And big picture, it would be such an epic moment in gaming history. Our version of "The Sixth Sense" or "The Usual Suspects". I would replay the game not just to see the dialogue choices but to see the proof of indoctrination that I'd missed the first time.

But if all we get is the cut scenes, it's okay. But, I think my hero worship of Bioware is officially over. Because that means they really, really, really thought the ending was acceptable as is. It means this DLC is BW scrambling to fix a PR nightmare they created. That this is one more example of BW dropping the ball.

Maybe I'm a little na´ve to still hope that they are capable of doing something truly epic...

Soviet Heavy:
The first step on the road to redemption is admitting you fucked up. I kinda see this here, since it at least shows that they were listening, but I will wait and see what is covered in the extended cut before I make my final judgment.

Pretty much this. I'm tentatively hopeful that it will actually serve as a decent ending, but with Bioware's recent past, I'm not so sure it'll deliver properly. At least it's free, so I'd at least have a reason to play through the game again.

PingoBlack:
EA/BioWare: We promise it won't be the same crap as original. Pay us and you will see.

I'm really curious how many more fall for their crap. What happened to "artistic integrity" Casey?

To be fair, this is free DLC. They're not asking you to pay for it. Really, I'm like 80% certain that this particular piece of DLC is what was originally planned as the ending before one of EA's executives forced the game out the door early and they had to slap something together. Hopefully it will manage to achieve basic literary competency, which is about all I'm hoping for.

personally, i thought this was the original plan all along

I'm so glad they aren't changing the ending. I was one of the few who liked it and felt it went over well with the overarching theme of the game. I do think it could benefit from an extension, giving us more closure and some explanations though so this is good news.

Can't wait for moviebob to come and yell at us for destroying art forever.

On a lighter note, it's a nice compromise, and it sounds like everyone wins.

Well, if this at least fixes some of the plot holes I suppose I can live with it. It won't make the ending "Good" but it might at least be passable. I can live with that.

Varya:
I'm so glad they aren't changing the ending. I was one of the few who liked it and felt it went over well with the overarching theme of the game. I do think it could benefit from an extension, giving us more closure and some explanations though so this is good news.

I'm curious how you think "God Did It" matches the overarching theme of the games.

Also, any cinematics that show team members on their home worlds are impossible due to the lack of Mass Effect transport. So unless they show everyone living (or dying in the case of Turians and Quarians) on Earth I don't see how cinematics are going to change anything. I guess they could show the cowardly Joker, along with Liara who used her magic teleportation powers to get from Earth to the escaping Normandy, repopulating the species with EDI on planet Bullshit.

Nope, sorry Bioware, every OTHER statement you've given about Mass Effect 3 has been the polar opposite of the truth, so no, I don't trust you on this at all.

I'll watch them, but I have no hope that they'll do anything you've said they will...and going by your track record of announcements about the game...this ending is going to raise more questions, cost money, be released this winter, and completely disappoint everyone.

On the bright side, using that logic it's going to destroy their 'artistic vision' so that's a plus if they're talking about the ending's 'artistic vision'...and they're really pissed at Casey Hudson.

That's pretty much what I thought they'd do for this situation.
It's all I wanted for additional ending content.
Though unless it does a really good job of clearing things up, I still think the ending will be lackluster, but if they take care of the gaping plotholes, I'll be content.
I still would've liked to see them actually adopt the indoctrination theory, but I figured it wasn't likely.

At least it's free; it makes sense, it's just a bunch of cutscenes, no new gameplay is added, but I still expected EA would charge for it.

Huh, this is -exactly- what I wanted to see. It's probably just gonna be some DA:O style text over some concept art/screenshots, but that's all I wanted, I can live with the bogus ending, I was just upset with basically being left hanging at the end.

And it's free, so that makes me feel better.

Irridium:
I wonder what'll it'll be. The ending is a goddamn mess. It'll take a lot to make it actually make sense. And doesn't change the fact that Star Child basically screwed himself. You failed, you were DONE. There was nothing you could do. Then star child BRINGS YOU TO HIM, and says he failed because you're standing before him. Even though he would have not failed if he just left you to die.

Freaking stupid.

Still, some explanations for things will be nice. Like "did I just blow up the galaxy?". You know, simple things like that. I mean, in Arrival it's established blowing up a relay causes the whole system it's in to die, since the relay essentially goes supernova. Then there's the fact that the Citadel is basically one big relay, so everything around Earth, including Earth, is most certainly fucked. I think. Game never explains if this is the case, or if it's not, or how it's not if it isn't. Or anything really.

I wouldn't even call it an "ending". It was just a point where the story stopped being told.

Whatever the case, it'll be interesting to see what they eventually release. Glad it's free.

i think the only way to explain the relays exploding without destroying everything is:
the remote detonation caused from the crucible created a different type of explosion, that would not destroy the system.

If you fancy up a turd it will still be a turd. No amount of Extended Cuts will make ME3 ending suck less.

Irridium:
I wonder what'll it'll be. The ending is a goddamn mess. It'll take a lot to make it actually make sense. And doesn't change the fact that Star Child basically screwed himself. You failed, you were DONE. There was nothing you could do. Then star child BRINGS YOU TO HIM, and says he failed because you're standing before him. Even though he would have not failed if he just left you to die.

Freaking stupid.

Still, some explanations for things will be nice. Like "did I just blow up the galaxy?". You know, simple things like that. I mean, in Arrival it's established blowing up a relay causes the whole system it's in to die, since the relay essentially goes supernova. Then there's the fact that the Citadel is basically one big relay, so everything around Earth, including Earth, is most certainly fucked. I think. Game never explains if this is the case, or if it's not, or how it's not if it isn't. Or anything really.

I wouldn't even call it an "ending". It was just a point where the story stopped being told.

Whatever the case, it'll be interesting to see what they eventually release. Glad it's free.

Could not have said it better. The ending needs to be fixed, not explained - it will take nothing short of a miraculous incarnation of literary talent to make order out of THIS chaos.

bringer of illumination:
If you people think for a fucking second, that the timing of this story is anything but damage control on EA's part after winning the Worst Company of 2012 award then you are fools.

Do not buy into this shite, EA is still shit.

I don't really think the Consumerist's award means all that much to large companies. Granted, receiving a few shiny turds of various colors might make a couple people raise an eyebrow.

I'm still surprised they responded to that though. I was expecting silence like the previous winners.

Imbechile:

Audacity:
Congratulations to all the people who pissed and moaned like entitled little bitches. You've proven that video games are not an art. You've also shown that if something is not what you want you will complain. You will bitch, piss, moan, complain and whine till you get your way.

Congratulations. You're children. Entitled little kids who scream and yell till they get what they want.

Pretentious person ahoy!

Games ARE NOT ART!!!! Atleast, not AAA games. Do you think EA gives two shits about art?
And you attack people because they want something that's been promised to the for the last five years? Yo've just shown that you're more childlish than them.

i know. how dare he think games are a respectable medium for telling a story or showing an experience. shame on him. i hate it when people think games deserve any respect. which is why i hated the movement to change the ending. games aren't an art, they aren't respectable, so why care when one isn't a gift from god? if it isn't worth any respect, why should they have to work hard on games? why should we get good games if they won't be respected for it?

This is going to be like putting a band-aid on a gushing wound.

What was with that one guy who basically said "you have no idea what we have planned." Obviously nothing to do with extending the games final chapter, seeing as you just pulled this extended cut idea out of your ass.

I'm disappointed that they aren't planning on introducing after the end of the game DLC, that's where the fun is, which is what I assumed the plan was, something like stopping the races of victory fleet from rioting after the relay explosions, playing as Garrus of course, think of how cool that could be.

But no, all the other DLC will probably be tied into the main game, which I don't want to replay through, which basically means I probably won't be buying any of the other DLC they make.

Hopefully the extended cut will be cool, this solution just doesn't appeal to me very much.

This is from the Update:

"Are there going to be more/different endings or ending DLCs in the future?"

No. BioWare strongly believes in the team's artistic vision for the end of this arc of the Mass Effect franchise. The extended cut DLC will expand on the existing endings, but no further ending DLC is planned.

This highly upsets me, because Bioware is just full of it. Artistic vision they say but really the ending seems like one of the following:

A) A rushed, unfinished ending that they've placed within the game to get it out there.

B) An attempt to make consumers want a DLC, so they can sell it since you know.. the ending is very important to a series. (It's free now, but I assume they were planning on selling it like behind the scenes/special edition content.)

C) Casey Hudson wanted credibility for making an ending by himself despite not notifying the developers about it.

D) All of the above.

It's most likely A. I know that C is a fact, that Casey did make the ending himself without telling anyone until it was to late. Also, you can see it as art but it's very poorly written art where it goes against everything Mass Effect stands for. I admire Bioware for making this upcoming DLC free and all, but to say that they're still proud of the ending cause it's artistically appealing to the team? I am calling them out on that one, for nearly 90% of the community (not everyone, but the majority) of gamers hate the ending so.. yea.

NinjaDeathSlap:
Well, it still doesn't seem to fix the annoying CIRCULAR LOGIC of the Catalyst, the jarring twist of the ending, none of the mechanics of the endings actually being explained, and the Mass Relays being destroyed.

But it fixes the most pressing issue at least, and it does it for free, so I guess I can be grteful for that.

I'm kind of tired of people using the phrase "circular logic." Circular logic would imply that you have a premise and you use that premise to prove itself. The Catalyst's premise is that machine always rebel, etc. so he concludes that he needs to stop it. You might not agree with his premise, but it is not circular logic.

This summer? So... obviously already in development before the game released, and now we get to hear all the butthurts try to claim some kind of "victory". Fun.

I like free stuff.

its just gonna expand on the shitty endings. nothing is going to change. EA/bioware has emptied our pockets already

Zachary Amaranth:
Moviebob won't be happy with this.

I can't be the only one who thought that.

Im pretty sure hes quite happy with tuis outcome. After all, he is Moviebob and this is an extended cut which is perfectly acceptable in ffilms. As long as the ending wasn't "changed" the actual artistic integrity won't necesarilly be damaged. If they had gone for the "super awesome ending where Shepard tells the starchild to shove it and procedes to rape the reapers in the ass" ending, Im pretty sure he would be severely disappointed. As thinga stand, this is the option that pleases all sides (in theory). Heres to the extended cut actually improving upon the original.

-Dragmire-:

bringer of illumination:
If you people think for a fucking second, that the timing of this story is anything but damage control on EA's part after winning the Worst Company of 2012 award then you are fools.

Do not buy into this shite, EA is still shit.

I don't really think the Consumerist's award means all that much to large companies. Granted, receiving a few shiny turds of various colors might make a couple people raise an eyebrow.

I'm still surprised they responded to that though. I was expecting silence like the previous winners.

That's the beauty of this whole situation, and why it's so good that EA won.

BofA would NEVER have responded, they're far too big and important to care.

EA is small enough, and full of itself enough that something like this can seriously hurt it without adequate damage control.

Do you think it's a coincidence that EA decided to release the news about all those Anti gay emails today? Of course it isn't. EA is using the LGBT community as a human shield by saying "LOOK AT US! ALL THESE MEAN HOMOPHOBES HATE US! IF YOU HATE US THEN YOU MUST BE A HOMOPHOBE TOO! PLEASE FEEL SORRY FOR US!"

Whether it works is yet to be seen.

HELL YES! THIS MEANS WE GET AN ORANGE ENDING! EXTRA COLORS FTW xD

klaynexas3:

Imbechile:

Audacity:
Congratulations to all the people who pissed and moaned like entitled little bitches. You've proven that video games are not an art. You've also shown that if something is not what you want you will complain. You will bitch, piss, moan, complain and whine till you get your way.

Congratulations. You're children. Entitled little kids who scream and yell till they get what they want.

Pretentious person ahoy!

Games ARE NOT ART!!!! Atleast, not AAA games. Do you think EA gives two shits about art?
And you attack people because they want something that's been promised to the for the last five years? Yo've just shown that you're more childlish than them.

i know. how dare he think games are a respectable medium for telling a story or showing an experience. shame on him. i hate it when people think games deserve any respect. which is why i hated the movement to change the ending. games aren't an art, they aren't respectable, so why care when one isn't a gift from god? if it isn't worth any respect, why should they have to work hard on games? why should we get good games if they won't be respected for it?

Whoa, hold it there!!
Respecting something =/= art, and also, not art =/= not respectable

I think most games aren't art, but I respect them and I think games are the best medium out there.
So everything I said still stands. Audacity is acting more childish than the people he critices.

Now all the Indoctrination Theory guys will all be like, "fuuuuuuu all the work we put into a satisfying ending, all revealed as being phony".

Seriously though, Indoc Ending is pretty cool and satisfying. Too bad it's not true, and an obvious desperate attempt to find closure by clawing through a cave with your fingernails.

It's hilarious though, the desperate.

My friend: " no, ITS TRUE. ITS TRUE GODDAMIT."
Me: "well..it would've been cool if it was true. Sounds pretty coo..."
My friend:" IT IS TRUE!. Nothing else MAKES SENSE. I WANT MY ENDINGG"

Imbechile:

klaynexas3:

Imbechile:

Pretentious person ahoy!

Whoa, hold it there!!
Respecting something =/= art, and also, not art =/= not respectable

I think most games aren't art, but I respect them and I think games are the best medium out there.
So everything I said still stands. Audacity is acting more childish than the people he critices.

then what exactly makes something art? i apologize that i jumped to my conclusions though, but so many people who say games aren't art also act like games don't deserve respect.

Caramel Frappe:
Snippy

It's most likely A & C. There are definitely hints, poorly rendered graphical textures and the like, that would seem to show that Mass Effect 3 was kind of a rush job.

Plus I've never brought this up before but part of the story seems to be missing.

So, yeah I think, much like Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 was rushed, even if it's not as immediately apparent, the ending might be the most obvious aspect, if that is truly the case.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here