BioWare Announces Post-Ending DLC for Mass Effect 3 [Updated!]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

You know I would have preferred to pay for a full retcon ending with extended gameplay and the lot, kind of a ME3.5 with about 1-2 hours game play than get this "explanation" for free.

How can you claim there's any artistic integrity to a climax that takes as its biggest reveal a secret that can be so eloquently summed up as a pimp my ride meme?

No amount of post ending text is going to fix that. People should seriously just stop caring already, and start taking Yahtzee's advice on why it's better to not get hyped up.

ravenshrike:

Raesvelg:
It's a pretty clear distinction, and (like most of Mass Effect) a premise that's been used in SF before.

And out of curiosity, in any of those places it was used before did the primary protagonist demonstrate empirically on not one but two separate occasions that the idea was bollocks?

Are we talking about the same protagonist who...

RatRace123:
Snip

My thoughts exactly, I'd not bother otherwise if it wasn't free nor if the DLC does nothing to make up for how bad the ending turned out to be. Which makes all the more sad.. because no matter how much good will come off this DLC, I can't bring myself to play through all three games again.

I really want to reply the series, and make better decisions along with being able to do more for the galaxy then last time (I didn't complete all the missions, there were to many citadel chores that were a pain in my butt to complete.) Hope this isn't personal to ask, but do you have Xbox Live? If so, you and I can play together on multiplayer. I usually go for Silver mode, but like Gold because it's more intense. My favorite class is the Quarian Infiltrator due to legit skills like reviving allies when invisible, and OP grenades. Haha.

But again, thanks for asking on how i'm doing. Much appreciated man :}

Audacity:
Congratulations to all the people who pissed and moaned like entitled little bitches. You've proven that video games are not an art. You've also shown that if something is not what you want you will complain. You will bitch, piss, moan, complain and whine till you get your way.

Congratulations. You're children. Entitled little kids who scream and yell till they get what they want.

Since when was art above criticism or change? Since when does it stop being art if the artists listen to criticism? Since when does an artist changing is original idea to better fit with what people want render his work not art anymore? Are books not art because they are edited and because authors will listen to their editors? Are paintings not art if a the artist goes in to touch something up?

PLUS even if people were to believe your very stupid, implied argument that "forcing" an artist to change their vision destroys the artistic merit of that work, that would not apply here since the ending IS NOT CHANGING. They're just sticking in more stuff to make the magic star child and all that other non-nonsensical crap make sense.

Way to whine about whining, by the way. Top notch.

Well, for one thing, I have no idea how to feel about this until I have this DLC ending in hand.

Does it "fix" the ending? Does it make a "new" ending? And just what do they mean by "additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes"?

This could just be more garbage that doesn't fix the core of the ending issue -- or the PR machine is still stuck on stupid spewing bullshit..

gabx:

NinjaDeathSlap:
Well, it still doesn't seem to fix the annoying CIRCULAR LOGIC of the Catalyst, the jarring twist of the ending, none of the mechanics of the endings actually being explained, and the Mass Relays being destroyed.

But it fixes the most pressing issue at least, and it does it for free, so I guess I can be grteful for that.

I'm kind of tired of people using the phrase "circular logic." Circular logic would imply that you have a premise and you use that premise to prove itself. The Catalyst's premise is that machine always rebel, etc. so he concludes that he needs to stop it. You might not agree with his premise, but it is not circular logic.

Killing us with machines in order to protect us from machines. Sounds like circular logic to me...

ill admit i thought the changing the ending was stupid till i saw the ending...was wrong.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Killing us with machines in order to protect us from machines. Sounds like circular logic to me...

Killing us to protected the REST OF THE UNIVERSE from potentially more harmful machines.
They are not protecting us (as that's why they are killing us off... duh).

Anyone else see this?
Free* DLC Pack to Provide Additional Cinematic Scenes to the Ending of Mass Effect 3 this Summer
^ That.
Clarified below...
* OFFER EXPIRES APRIL 12, 2014.
INTERNET CONNECTION AND ORIGIN (EA), XBOX LIVE, OR PLAYSTATION NETWORK ACCOUNT REQUIRED. VALID ONLY AT THE ORIGIN CLIENT SOFTWARE (WWW.ORIGIN.COM/ABOUT), XBOX LIVE MARKETPLACE OR PLAYSTATION STORE. VALID WHEREVER MASS EFFECT 3 IS SOLD. MASS EFFECT 3 FULL GAME AND ORIGIN ACCOUNT (EA) REQUIRED TO USE/PLAY DOWNLOAD. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. PRODUCT SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. LIMIT ONE OFFER PER PERSON. YOU MUST MEET THE MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENTS, WHICH VARY BY COUNTRY, TO REGISTER FOR AN ORIGIN ACCOUNT (EA).
This as well...
EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON WWW.EA.COM/2/SERVICE-UPDATES.

Hey, fun. Can't wait till summer when this comes out and we're flooded with even MORE ME3 threads about how the DLC wasn't enough, the ending still sucks, fuck you casey hudson, blah blah blah. Don't think it'll happen? Read through some of this thread. Half the posts are "this DLC STILL won't fix it!"

The.Bard:

Metalix Knightmare:
Aren't YOU an optimistic one? There are going to be even MORE threads about the ending when this comes out. I can only wonder how the nutjobs on the social forums will react to it.

Seriously. Forget about RGB. We're gonna need CMYK to keep track of it!

This is by no means a conclusive list (and it assumes the DLC is the same for RGB), but it's a start. The groups that will emerge are those who:

- Love Ending / Hate DLC
- Love Ending / Love DLC
- Hate Ending / Hate DLC
- Hate Ending / Love DLC
- Hate People who Hate Free DLC for being "entitled"
- Hate Bioware for Making DLC and being "artistically corrupt"
- Hate EVERYONE for still talking about it

What did I miss?

You forgot the slavering nutjobs for a start.

You've also got Renegades that will be pissed to all hell if Paragons get anything even RESEMBLING a happy ending, Cerberus cheerleaders who will still be frothing at not being able to get their TIM sex tymes, (Though those two are more limited to Bioware's social forums) and thats off the top of my head. Any further ad we start listing the real weirdos.

NinjaDeathSlap:

gabx:

NinjaDeathSlap:
Well, it still doesn't seem to fix the annoying CIRCULAR LOGIC of the Catalyst, the jarring twist of the ending, none of the mechanics of the endings actually being explained, and the Mass Relays being destroyed.

But it fixes the most pressing issue at least, and it does it for free, so I guess I can be grteful for that.

I'm kind of tired of people using the phrase "circular logic." Circular logic would imply that you have a premise and you use that premise to prove itself. The Catalyst's premise is that machine always rebel, etc. so he concludes that he needs to stop it. You might not agree with his premise, but it is not circular logic.

Killing only advanced civilizations in order to protect every single living organism in the galaxy.

Boooooooo, no one complained about Fable II's ending..... image

Murmillos:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Killing us to protected the REST OF THE UNIVERSE from potentially more harmful machines.

OK, so what about that whole "We help them ascend" spiel he goes on, talking about how we will "live on in Reaper form" like he considers melting us all down into our genetic material and pumping us into a machine is a good way of saving us. Not organic life as a whole, us specifically.

Even if you're right, I can think of plenty of better ways to stop organic life fucking itself over with technology. Maybe perhaps just tell us that 'hey, creating machines to do everything for us, them giving them self-awareness might not be such a great idea'. That seems like a pretty sound way to preemptively avoid such an occurrence, rather than just sitting on your hands until we're in too deep, then wiping us out claiming it's for the good of the galaxy.

Buretsu:

NinjaDeathSlap:

gabx:

Killing only advanced civilizations in order to protect every single living organism in the galaxy.

I'll just refer you to my above post.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Buretsu:

NinjaDeathSlap:

I'll just refer you to my above post.

In other words, "blah blah blah, I'm not listening". Gotcha.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Murmillos:

NinjaDeathSlap:

OK, so what about that whole "We help them ascend" spiel he goes on, talking about how we will "live on in Reaper form" like he considers melting us all down into our genetic material and pumping us into a machine is a good way of saving us. Not organic life as a whole, us specifically.

Even if you're right, I can think of plenty of better ways to stop organic life fucking itself over with technology. Maybe perhaps just tell us that 'hey, creating machines to do everything for us, them giving them self-awareness might not be such a great idea'. That seems like a pretty sound way to preemptively avoid such an occurrence, rather than just sitting on your hands until we're in too deep, then wiping us out claiming it's for the good of the galaxy.

They kill the races, but preserve their DNA and history to assimilate it into the Reapers as a new Reaper body. It's like preserving the corpse of the last member of a now extinct species.

And telling a child not to do something is THE surest way to get them to do it, even if it's just to be contrary to an authority figure.

Soviet Heavy:
The first step on the road to redemption is admitting you fucked up. I kinda see this here, since it at least shows that they were listening, but I will wait and see what is covered in the extended cut before I make my final judgment.

I'm sorry, but no one screwed up, so there is no call for redemption. If their original ending made you unhappy, that's your problem, not theirs.

Also, refer to my explanation of why the Mass Effect 3 ending wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

edit

Oh thank god, some info!

I'm tentative about this information, because it could go either way. I know I'm going to be slightly disappointed either way, but hopefully they fix the "what's the point of all this work if it comes down to that" feeling.

Well, 'checks backlog' I have enough things to do until the summer rolls around.

HBaskerville:

Varya:
I'm so glad they aren't changing the ending. I was one of the few who liked it and felt it went over well with the overarching theme of the game. I do think it could benefit from an extension, giving us more closure and some explanations though so this is good news.

I'm curious how you think "God Did It" matches the overarching theme of the games.

Also, any cinematics that show team members on their home worlds are impossible due to the lack of Mass Effect transport. So unless they show everyone living (or dying in the case of Turians and Quarians) on Earth I don't see how cinematics are going to change anything. I guess they could show the cowardly Joker, along with Liara who used her magic teleportation powers to get from Earth to the escaping Normandy, repopulating the species with EDI on planet Bullshit.

There's no way I can argue against someone who has clearly made up their mind to hate on this nomatter what. I like the theme of hopelessness, that nomatter what you do, the best you can get is "not evreyone dies". Frankly, I saw that comming. And yes, my teammates might be doomed, but you know what, thats fine. Also, kinda fitting with the themes. The point was that everyone was willing to die so that others might live, and of they die doing that I call that a win. Yes, I too question how things really fitted toghether, but that was nitpicky things, what I liked was the overarching ending. Details might be iffy, but I'm willing to forgive that. But now I'm getting what I exactly what I felt was lacking so yes, I'm happy with that.

The problem isn't that the ending doesn't provide closure, the problem is that the ending is dumb.

Buretsu:

ravenshrike:

Raesvelg:
It's a pretty clear distinction, and (like most of Mass Effect) a premise that's been used in SF before.

And out of curiosity, in any of those places it was used before did the primary protagonist demonstrate empirically on not one but two separate occasions that the idea was bollocks?

Individual choice is irrelevant to the conversation currently at hand. In the Mass Effect universe organic/synthetic cooperation without genocide is POSSIBLE. In the Sci-Fi universes Raesvelg is referencing it is manifestly NOT possible. Which is the POINT of those universes.

As an aside the only reason it's even a problem in the ME3 is because Han'Gerrel is a complete fucking moron who should have been relieved of duty after the dreadnought incident.

hmmmm well I'm going to wait for it to come out to judge but if all this does is extend the shittyness then bioware would have fucked up even worse then with the original ending

ravenshrike:

Buretsu:

ravenshrike:

Individual choice is irrelevant to the conversation currently at hand. In the Mass Effect universe organic/synthetic cooperation without genocide is POSSIBLE. In the Sci-Fi universes Raesvelg is referencing it is manifestly NOT possible. Which is the POINT of those universes.

As an aside the only reason it's even a problem in the ME3 is because Han'Gerrel is a complete fucking moron who should have been relieved of duty after the dreadnought incident.

And then, even if it's proved possible once, there's no guarantee whatsoever that someone else won't create an entirely new artificial race with whom peace is not an option and the complete extinction will happen anyway.

Prof. Monkeypox:
I like the "free" part...

I concur. Either Bioware said shove it to E.A., or E.A. was smart enough this time to realise that selling the content would F them over.

I'm probably the only one who thinks this would be hilarious to see but what if this extended cut was forced onto everyone, even those who don't care about closure. I know everyone is tired of all the Mass Effect 3 threads but I think it would be fitting if there was controversy behind every part of this game.

In any case, hopefully we can see what else BioWare has to offer at PAX other than this.

edit

gabx:

Technically, the Catalyst's premise is that organic species will always create synthetic species which will then exterminate the former, and its solution is to use synthetics to destroy organics so that they won't create synthetics that will destroy organics.

Now, I'm _reasonably_ sure this is "Mass Effect" and not "Battlestar Galactica"... :)

hulksmashley:

Extragorey:

Soviet Heavy:
The first step on the road to redemption is admitting you fucked up. I kinda see this here, since it at least shows that they were listening, but I will wait and see what is covered in the extended cut before I make my final judgment.

I'm sorry, but no one screwed up, so there is no call for redemption. If their original ending made you unhappy, that's your problem, not theirs.

Also, refer to my explanation of why the Mass Effect 3 ending wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

Actually, it is their problem. When 90% of your customer base dislikes your product, you have a problem.

When 90% of your customer base is no longer willing to purchase any future products you make, you REALLY have a problem.

To be fair, 90% of the customer base will say they're no longer willing to purchase any future products they make because the main menu is an ugly shade of green.

Buretsu:

ravenshrike:

Buretsu:

And then, even if it's proved possible once, there's no guarantee whatsoever that someone else won't create an entirely new artificial race with whom peace is not an option and the complete extinction will happen anyway.

You don't get the point do you? The MOMENT that the Reapers' logic loses it's inevitability it is necessarily relegated to the status of circular logic. Saying "Just because your two machine races don't slaughter all organics doesn't mean somebody won't make a machine race that does in a possible future so we must process you all into grey goop and make way for less intelligent organics" goes in the category of insane troll logic. It has NO business to being anywhere near the ending of the Mass Effect franchise and Casey Hudson needs to be kicked in the balls.

Diana Kingston-Gabai:

gabx:

Technically, the Catalyst's premise is that organic species will always create synthetic species which will then exterminate the former, and its solution is to use synthetics to destroy organics so that they won't create synthetics that will destroy organics.

Do you really not get the distinction between SOME and ALL?

they're giving into fans cries of despertation?! i'm gonna sue them if the ending after the ending isnt how i pictured the ending. cuz we all know that the endings ending isnt going to be a good ending. now just have to file a lawsuit and all that jaz before hand. how dare they. how dare they!!

...ok fail at trolling. xp. oh wait. hope nobody is from arizona >.>

Buretsu:
Do you really not get the distinction between SOME and ALL?

In this specific case, that's just semantics: you, the player, are not in a position to care about underdeveloped organic species that may or may not become the Reapers' next victims in 50,000 years. You are concerned with the fates of humans, turians, asari, krogan, quarians, etc. In other words, for Shepard, the fact that the Reapers only destroy "some" organics is irrelevant given that it's your entire civilization that falls in that category.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here