BioWare Announces Post-Ending DLC for Mass Effect 3 [Updated!]

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

ravenshrike:

Buretsu:

ravenshrike:
Individual choice is irrelevant to the conversation currently at hand. In the Mass Effect universe organic/synthetic cooperation without genocide is POSSIBLE. In the Sci-Fi universes Raesvelg is referencing it is manifestly NOT possible. Which is the POINT of those universes.

As an aside the only reason it's even a problem in the ME3 is because Han'Gerrel is a complete fucking moron who should have been relieved of duty after the dreadnought incident.

And then, even if it's proved possible once, there's no guarantee whatsoever that someone else won't create an entirely new artificial race with whom peace is not an option and the complete extinction will happen anyway.

You don't get the point do you? The MOMENT that the Reapers' logic loses it's inevitability it is necessarily relegated to the status of circular logic. Saying "Just because your two machine races don't slaughter all organics doesn't mean somebody won't make a machine race that does just in a possible future that so we must process you all into grey goop and make way for less intelligent organics" goes in the category of insane troll logic. It has NO business to being anywhere near the ending of the Mass Effect franchise and Casey Hudson needs to be kicked in the balls.

Inevitability wasn't lost. At best, by the Reapers' logic, it was only delayed. And, yes, it's bad logic; there's no denying that. The Reapers essentially gave up all hope and just settled for killing things every so often 'just in case'. Which makes them effective villains because you want to punch them in their faces and tell them they're wrong.

Buretsu:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Buretsu:

Killing only advanced civilizations in order to protect every single living organism in the galaxy.

I'll just refer you to my above post.

In other words, "blah blah blah, I'm not listening". Gotcha.

No. In other words, "I have a response for you, and it will just save us both time if I don't have to right it out again".

To play Devil's Advocate:

It is broadly possible to construct an ending that provides closure without compromising the established ending. To wit:

If you choose the "Destroy" ending, the scientific think tank you assembled to put together the Crucible use the wreckage of the Reapers to build new, portable mass relays that allow the gathered fleets to return to their home systems. This is possible within the established game lore, since the Protheans were able to construct the Conduit on Ilos.

If you choose the "Control" ending, Shepard compels the Reapers to rebuild everything.

If you choose the "Synthesis" ending, the fleets are able to disperse since, being partly synthetic, decades-long FTL travel means nothing.

If Shepard survives in any of these endings, she sets out to recover the Normandy and its crew. If not, the crew eventually manage to repair the ship and limp back to Earth.

Granted, I'd prefer a bit more detail, but it's premature to say that nothing can amend what we've got right now. Quite frankly, there's nowhere to go but up...

Diana Kingston-Gabai:

Buretsu:
Do you really not get the distinction between SOME and ALL?

In this specific case, that's just semantics: you, the player, are not in a position to care about underdeveloped organic species that may or may not become the Reapers' next victims in 50,000 years. You are concerned with the fates of humans, turians, asari, krogan, quarians, etc. In other words, for Shepard, the fact that the Reapers only destroy "some" organics is irrelevant given that it's your entire civilization that falls in that category.

That doesn't make the logic itself circular.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Murmillos:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Killing us with machines in order to protect us from machines. Sounds like circular logic to me...

Killing us to protected the REST OF THE UNIVERSE from potentially more harmful machines.
They are not protecting us (as that's why they are killing us off... duh).

OK, so what about that whole "We help them ascend" spiel he goes on, talking about how we will "live on in Reaper form" like he considers melting us all down into our genetic material and pumping us into a machine is a good way of saving us. Not organic life as a whole, us specifically.

Even if you're right, I can think of plenty of better ways to stop organic life fucking itself over with technology. Maybe perhaps just tell us that 'hey, creating machines to do everything for us, them giving them self-awareness might not be such a great idea'. That seems like a pretty sound way to preemptively avoid such an occurrence, rather than just sitting on your hands until we're in too deep, then wiping us out claiming it's for the good of the galaxy.

This is something I was pondering. They never actually explain why it's necessary to preserve life, or why anything we might create would have a reason to wipe out everything. Doesn't seem like a frog would cause much of an obstruction to the existence of a geth or somesuch.

Also, since the life you're preserving is going to ascend to that level at some point, assumedly, then surely everything is going to die ANYWAY. Why not let the synthetics we create kill everything off and then leave the galaxy in a lifeless ordered state? (Much like the auditors from The Discworld want)

Diana Kingston-Gabai:

It is broadly possible to construct an ending that provides closure without compromising the established ending. To wit:

If you choose the "Destroy" ending, the scientific think tank you assembled to put together the Crucible use the wreckage of the Reapers to build new, portable mass relays that allow the gathered fleets to return to their home systems. This is possible within the established game lore, since the Protheans were able to construct the Conduit on Ilos.

If you choose the "Control" ending, Shepard compels the Reapers to rebuild everything.

If you choose the "Synthesis" ending, the fleets are able to disperse since, being partly synthetic, decades-long FTL travel means nothing.

If Shepard survives in any of these endings, she sets out to recover the Normandy and its crew. If not, the crew eventually manage to repair the ship and limp back to Earth.

Granted, I'd prefer a bit more detail, but it's premature to say that nothing can amend what we've got right now. Quite frankly, there's nowhere to go but up...

... I like you (:

Buretsu:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Murmillos:

Killing us to protected the REST OF THE UNIVERSE from potentially more harmful machines.

OK, so what about that whole "We help them ascend" spiel he goes on, talking about how we will "live on in Reaper form" like he considers melting us all down into our genetic material and pumping us into a machine is a good way of saving us. Not organic life as a whole, us specifically.

Even if you're right, I can think of plenty of better ways to stop organic life fucking itself over with technology. Maybe perhaps just tell us that 'hey, creating machines to do everything for us, them giving them self-awareness might not be such a great idea'. That seems like a pretty sound way to preemptively avoid such an occurrence, rather than just sitting on your hands until we're in too deep, then wiping us out claiming it's for the good of the galaxy.

They kill the races, but preserve their DNA and history to assimilate it into the Reapers as a new Reaper body. It's like preserving the corpse of the last member of a now extinct species.

And telling a child not to do something is THE surest way to get them to do it, even if it's just to be contrary to an authority figure.

When said authority figure is an all knowing overlord lying at the centre of our civilisation who could destroy us at any time it it so pleased him, I think we might heed the warning.

WanderingFool:

BakaSmurf:

Casey Hudson decided to cut most of this conversation out, because he thought it would have been TOO LONG, just FYI. Really says a lot about his creative process.

MOTHERFUCKER!

That was beautiful, AND THEY WENT AND CUT IT FROM THE FINAL GAME!?

I was so upset when I heard such a moving scene was cut. WHY CASEY?!

...But I keep reading in comments that if Shepard didn't romance anyone, this is the scene they get. Who's telling the truth? D:

Samantha Burt:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Murmillos:

This is something I was pondering. They never actually explain why it's necessary to preserve life, or why anything we might create would have a reason to wipe out everything. Doesn't seem like a frog would cause much of an obstruction to the existence of a geth or somesuch.

It's not them seeing it as an obstruction, but as useless in its current state, and thus nothing but a source of raw materials.

Also, since the life you're preserving is going to ascend to that level at some point, assumedly, then surely everything is going to die ANYWAY. Why not let the synthetics we create kill everything off and then leave the galaxy in a lifeless ordered state? (Much like the auditors from The Discworld want)

Why do farmers protect their livestock from predators? Because their duty is to protect their animals, not promote the circle of life. The Reapers were setup as caretakers of organic life, and thus will do ANYTHING required to protect it, even if it means killing a portion of it.

NinjaDeathSlap:
When said authority figure is an all knowing overlord lying at the centre of our civilisation who could destroy us at any time it it so pleased him, I think we might heed the warning.

The Reapers proveably weren't all-knowing, or they would have needed Soverign to be stationed in-galaxy as a lookout, or Saren's help with the Conduit. The Protheans even managed to hide some of their race from the Reapers, and would have succeeded were it not for indoctrinated sleeper agents. So it's not like it's impossible to hide the construction of synthetic life from them.

Buretsu:

As you yourself pointed out, circular logic requires that the premise feed into itself. To prevent synthetics from killing organics (a scenario in which the distinction between "all" and "some" is utterly irrelevant given that organic life has a tendency to crop up every cycle anyway) the Catalyst created synthetics to kill organics. Any more circular and it'd just be a string of palindromes. :)

Also, as an aside: the Catalyst's claims of "helping races ascend in Reaper form" fall flat when you consider the fate of the Protheans - didn't EDI conclude that the Collectors were "repurposed" because they didn't fit whatever criteria the Reapers use to reproduce? That's at least one civilization that was harvested but not "ascended". The Keepers also come to mind...

Samantha Burt:

NinjaDeathSlap:

Murmillos:

Well I'm guessing that, just as the Catalyst created the Reapers, someone else, presumably organic, would have had to create the catalyst at some point, and he has some kind of artificial instinct to preserve organic life programmed into him. Much like what EDI says about her 'instinct' to keep the Normandy running. It was just what he was created to do I guess, and he just got a little bit fucked up as to how to do it.

That's the most logical explanation I can come up with anyway, but maybe considering the endings, trying to be logical is missing the point.

It's unbelievable the level of rage already in the that Jennifer Hale interview comment section. Like people actually believed Bioware would just comp us new art assets, bringing the entire voice cast back, having writers produce new material, have sound engineers record, edit and alter the voice performances and then spend that bandwidth FOR FREE.
And people wonder why the word "entitlement" gets thrown around so much...

ravenshrike:

Zen Toombs:
Hmm. I wonder how many people that said "RAWR NEVER BIOWARE AGAIN" will change their tune if this free DLC pack is actually good? my answer: lots

It won't be. Stupid ending is still stupid. Flashcards won't make it less stupid. Nothing will make it less stupid. In order for the game to have a good ending, then the ending itself has to be changed.

Addendum - No to mention closure? What closure? There's not enough infrastructure to feed everybody left around Earth. Not enough planets in normal ftl distance to feed everybody either(remember, viable planets are relatively rare and besides except for the live ships the dextro races have no way of growing anything on a viable dextro planet anyway). The Normandy CAN'T be near enough to get back to earth within a year given that it was transferring through a mass effect relay at the time of kablooey. The Normandy doesn't exactly keep a large supply of food on board. Certainly not longer than 3-4 months which means everybody starves to death. Then there's the fact that it's trashed and NOBODY ELSE knows where the fuck it is. It is not possible to turn the current pile of radioactive shit into a decent ending.

There can be answers to all of those questions that reasonably don't end with a holocaust on Endor. There can be ways that this ending could be salvaged as they described. It is very possible that the ending to Mass Effect could be made far better with the framework they currently have.

I personally find it highly unlikely that something like that will happen, but it is a possibility. Also, note the part that you quoted me that is bolded.

Well.. I've already made my ending decision by not purchasing ME3 at all. My Shepard is chilling with his entire team in some space-port after blowing up the unfinished Reaper and that's the end of the story. I'm satisfied with it.

Buretsu:

NinjaDeathSlap:

The Reapers proveably weren't all-knowing, or they would have needed Soverign to be stationed in-galaxy as a lookout, or Saren's help with the Conduit. The Protheans even managed to hide some of their race from the Reapers, and would have succeeded were it not for indoctrinated sleeper agents. So it's not like it's impossible to hide the construction of synthetic life from them.

Who said anything about the Reapers, I was talking about the Catalyst.

Even without the Reapers, he controls everything that makes Galactic civilisation possible. If we didn't follow his advice, what's to stop him from just turning it all off, preventing us from ever getting to the stage where we become a danger to ourselves anyway?

So you're going to try and fix the ending as is, good fucking luck. I hope you realize the extent of this "Epilogue" will have to extend into years to even come close to fixing the problems with the ending, on top of that, you'll have to pull some pretty bullshit Deus Ex Machina to improve the situation.

You guys REALLY think what this needs is clarification? Beyond the plot holes, what's to clarify? The species you stranded on earth are all gonna starve to death and die in technological dark age, your crew are stranded on some weird planet presumably outside the solar system, they will never see you again and many of them will also most likely die.

If you weren't planning to take the ending in such a dark direction, then why not change it?

I'm not feeling to optimistic, this DLC better be goddamned masterwork, or that's it, I fold.

Still, I'm glad they tried at least. They didn't have to listen to us at all. I'll try to move on and look forward to their other games, but I'll always be haunted by what could have been.

"You ever wonder how things would have been different? how our lives would be... different if this hadn't happened?"

"There'll be time enough for that now"

"I think that ship has sailed"

Buretsu:

Why do farmers protect their livestock from predators? Because their duty is to protect their animals, not promote the circle of life. The Reapers were setup as caretakers of organic life, and thus will do ANYTHING required to protect it, even if it means killing a portion of it.

First of all, the "livestock" thing did not come up in the ending at all. It was implied that the harvest was to "preserve" organic life. Ie they were doing us a favor. Self interest did not factor into the sharchild's explanation. He made it sound altruistic.

And before you say again "well all non-spacefaring life lives" yeah, oh boy, the dogs and other non sentient species get to live. Big whoop. And other civilizations will flourish...until the reapers kill them too. But hey, by killing those guys we prevented them from getting to big for their britches and doing something drastic that would damage other up and coming civilizations...who we're eventually going to kill anyway.

Gee, if everyone ends up dying a horrible death anyway, what's the damn point? Couldn't we just step in and protect organic life from any major threat, synthetic or organic? Naw, we'll burn everything. To help them! Yeah, how is this helping organic life again? The galaxy is big but still eventually you're going to run out of sentient species (after all, it took Earth 4 billion years to produce just one). Reaper self interest I can buy, but that's not the explanation we got.

Secondly, the reapers are synthetics themselves. They're pretty much exactly what they're supposed to stop. "Well, what if a new synthetic species comes along that has no restraint and kills everyone?" you'll probalbly say. Well, since the only candidtate we've seen, the geth, were pacifists until the reapers themselves came along. And there's EDI....no wait, she was a good guy too. Hmm, it's almost like the idea of inevitable synthetic war is bullcrap. Might as well say that organics will inevitably conquer each other and enslave each every race in the galaxy. Between the bloodthirsy Krogan and the racist Protheans, the precedent is there, more so then "all synthetics are evil."

Theoretical synthetics that don't exist and have never come close to existing during the story that are marginally more ruthless than the real, very ruthless synthetics we already have is not a compelling threat or a good replacement to the perfectly functional villians we already have. The game provides no proof that synthetics will inevitably destroy organics except the reapers themselves. It's all around dumb.

Buretsu:

Which makes them effective villains because you want to punch them in their faces and tell them they're wrong.

Except you can't.

Zachary Amaranth:
Moviebob won't be happy with this.

I can't be the only one who thought that.

Actually he might be happy because they aren't changing the endings...just extending on them.

Moviebob thought they were going to change the endings and that was why he was unhappy.

NinjaDeathSlap:
Who said anything about the Reapers, I was talking about the Catalyst.

Even without the Reapers, he controls everything that makes Galactic civilisation possible. If we didn't follow his advice, what's to stop him from just turning it all off, preventing us from ever getting to the stage where we become a danger to ourselves anyway?

Quite right. If we're supposed to believe the Catalyst was aboard the Citadel all this time, why would it allow the Ilos Protheans to sabotage the Keepers and throw off the cycle? Consider that any fighting chance you have at all is due to the fact that a) the Reapers were unable to take the Citadel at the start of their invasion and therefore couldn't take over the Relay system and b) Sovereign's destruction allowed the Alliance, the turians and the salarians to reverse-engineer the Thanix weapons (which, in the best EMS scenario, has individual Sword ships blowing legs off Reaper capital ships).

Diana Kingston-Gabai:

You know, I actually like these ideas. I kind of hope whatever Bioware has in store is at least similar to this.

Diana Kingston-Gabai:

Buretsu:

As you yourself pointed out, circular logic requires that the premise feed into itself. To prevent synthetics from killing organics (a scenario in which the distinction between "all" and "some" is utterly irrelevant given that organic life has a tendency to crop up every cycle anyway) the Catalyst created synthetics to kill organics. Any more circular and it'd just be a string of palindromes. :)

It's not irrelevant. They're not trying to kill ALL organic life, they're trying to prevent the creation of Synthetics who would. And to achieve this goal, they kill any advanced civilizations before they can create these hypothetical Synthetics.

I'll see, but ATM I'm not going to be happy with this. Bioware has still discarded one of the things that made their series great in the final game - simply because they wanted to make a movie instead, or so it would seem.
I will wait to see exactly what is contained within this DLC before I render judgement, but ATM it is looking like I will get it, and nothing else from Bioware.

Also: I'd recommend staying away from BSN for the next week. This is EXACTLY what the Retake movement did NOT want.

Buretsu:
It's not irrelevant. They're not trying to kill ALL organic life, they're trying to prevent the creation of Synthetics who would. And to achieve this goal, they kill any advanced civilizations before they can create these hypothetical Synthetics.

Underdeveloped species spared by this cycle will evolve to become the victims of the next. Whether they intend to or not, the Reapers are exterminating all organic life - they're just not doing it all at once. Again, semantics.

I'll be very surprised to see how and if the turnout for anyone aboard the Normandy is anything other than "Succumbed to starvation on uncharted world, resorting to cannibalism before the bitter end."

I'm putting in effort to remain optimistic about this, though: if some kind of explanation or light back-pedaling after the fact can wring any sense or appeal out of the ending, I would be as surprised as I would be impressed.

Either way, it will be very gratifying to see the 'indoctrination theory' crowd shut up for good. (Please, please do this BioWare?)

Irridium:
I wonder what'll it'll be. The ending is a goddamn mess. It'll take a lot to make it actually make sense. And doesn't change the fact that Star Child basically screwed himself. You failed, you were DONE. There was nothing you could do. Then star child BRINGS YOU TO HIM, and says he failed because you're standing before him. Even though he would have not failed if he just left you to die.

Freaking stupid.

Okay did you listen to what the Star Child said? He said and I quote, "Seeing you stand before me I know that my solution will no longer work." As in now that someone has made it this far in the future they will make it this far and end me and the reapers.
The Star Child is in my opinion the smartest AI you will meet in the Mass Effect Universe. I personally believe that the Star Child was created by who I believe was the reason that the cycle was started. He witnessed in my opinion THOUSANDS of primitive races wiped from the face of existence and creating the reapers in the process to do something with the thousands-millions of creatures.
I personally think that the lack of knowledge about WHAT the reapers are is more of what caused the uproar because I think personally that the Star Child fits in with the Reapers very well. I don't think we need an extended ending. I think we need an extended beginning to show what the reapers actually are. Take the Geth as something similar to the Reapers. Both are synthetics. Both have semi-sentience but until they were upgraded with the Reaper tech they were all one being. With the Reaper tech they become their own people. Does that make them AIs instead of VIs? No it doesn't. It just makes them be able to identify themselves away from the rest of the group. The Reapers are not AIs. They are VIs they seem to be free thinking but the only thing that they really know is they have to wipe all advanced civilizations that have reached the pinnacle that they have set. Sure there are 1 or 2 that have surpassed the VI status and gone to being full AI like Sovereign and Harbinger but most are still just mindless and do not think for themselves which is where Star Child comes into play.
I think that they could have handled Star Child better but I don't think that they should of not had him either.

I think it's a fair compromise. They get to keep the ending, but possible help explain things to the confused masses (Not trying to be condescending here, I'm one of them). Plus more Mass Effect, for free. The only thing I'm disapointed about is the crew being stranded. Really didn't like that part. Wonder how they will handle that.

I don't see anything wrong with the Reapers logic. It makes perfect sense.

Remember the big reveal of Mass Effect 2, which I don't think I even need to spoiler. The Reapers are not machines, they are an organic/synthetic composite composed of countless "minds" within a single body.

If you think about it, it's pretty clear what's happening. People get rendered down to a basic substance (their "essence", whatever it is) that essence is then processed into a new reaper, a practically invincible God-machine which will last theoretically forever. It's reasonable to assume that some fragment of whoever the person was is preserved or recreated in that process.

Think of the transporter in Star Trek. It works by breaking people down into a beam and then reconverting the beam back into a person. You could argue that the original person, the original consciousness, died when they were dematerialized and a whole new person was created, and yet every measurable criteria will record the new person as being the same person.

A machine which didn't understand the concept of personal identity or a "soul" would not necessarily see breaking someone down into their component parts and reconstituting those parts, even in a different form, as a destructive act. What has been lost?

I don't think the logic is the problem. The problem, if anything, is the Shepherd just has to accept it when it's very obviously flawed from the point of view of organic life.

Diana Kingston-Gabai:

Buretsu:

Underdeveloped species spared by this cycle will evolve to become the victims of the next. Whether they intend to or not, the Reapers are exterminating all organic life - they're just not doing it all at once. Again, semantics.

But because of their efforts, there will be a next cycle. There will be new organic life. They're working to ensure that. If they didn't, it could end up being the end of all organic life, period. No more organics, not ever. That's why they keep doing what they're doing.

Having read the FAQ, here's the good and bad about this decision.

Good:

- Sounds like they're going to bring some closure to the situation, perhaps in a format akin to the end of Dragon Age or Fallout: New Vegas. Things like the fate of certain characters, or whether or not that fleet that warped in to Earth has to eat their own crewmembers to survive.

- They're trying to thread the "it's art, but we heard the fans and are going to fix a few things" issue. Probably the best way to do it, all things considered.

- It's free. So even if EA had plans to DLC the "true ending" they aren't doing that now. We may never know, in the end.

Bad:

- Anyone unhappy with the whole premise of Shepard's choice: doesn't sound like they're going to change that.

- Doesn't sound like they're going with indoctrination theory. If that's the case, they better do a lot of plot-hole filling.

- The press release is bit too defensive in my tastes, which worries me. The last thing I want out of this Extended Ending is a bunch of Take Thats from Bioware. That, more than anything, would kill my desire to buy another Bioware title, and I hope Bioware is mature enough to get that.

As for my personal wishes, he's what would do it for me:

- Closure elements based on the major decisions of the three games

- What happened to the fleet

- What the deal was with the Normandy's part of the ending (the escape, the teleporting squadmates, the planet, etc.)

- Earth and the galaxy - some of the ramifications of the big three choices

I can't say I'm optimistic here, but I will say this... it's not like they can make things worse (well, they CAN, but you'd have to try really hard).

Sweet galactic damn, closure! Hells yeah! Artistic integrity preserved, and there's actual closure! Is it christmas? Am I dreaming? Hell yeah! Well, no, but you get the point.

And now, we sit and patiently wait...

*furiously taps desk for several seconds*

GOD DAMMIT, COME OUT ALREADY! *resumes tapping desk*

Buretsu:
But because of their efforts, there will be a next cycle. There will be new organic life. They're working to ensure that. If they didn't, it could end up being the end of all organic life, period. No more organics, not ever. That's why they keep doing what they're doing.

I'm sorry, I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. The Reapers have nothing to do with the creation of new organic life. They go back to dark space when their work is done. And, again, there is no evidence to support the Catalyst's claims that a scenario in which synthetics would obliterate every living thing in the galaxy forever is even plausible, let alone probable.

A more likely scenario is that synthetics would allow "insignificant" organic beings to live provided they did not reach a certain level of technological development, at which point the synthetics would eradicate that civilization while permitting other "insignificant" races to thrive...

Diana Kingston-Gabai:

go to the Bioware offices, now
I'll pay you the damn passport

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook