Anti-Gay Email Campaign Floods Electronic Arts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

albino boo:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
Alright then- Family values nutters, time for a Lesson in the economy.

When you DO NOT BUY THE PRODUCT TO BEGIN WITH you cannot boycott it. If i disagreed with the giant pink dildo company, i cannot boycott them because i do not buy the products. Similarly if you do not buy games you cannot boycott them.

Why is their point of view any less valid than that of those poeple complaining about the ending of ME3? I don't I agree with it, but they are as just entitled to express to their point of view as anyone else. How do you know the private opinions of other players, have you empirical data saying only liberals buy games? My experience of online play seems to suggest that there is rampant homophobia amongst hardcore gamers. I don't think there has been a day when I haven't heard some sort of homophobic insult when playing online.

Because last I checked no-one could really associate themselves with being a disappointing ending, whereas plenty of people can associate themselves with being gay, because they are. By trying to get the gay part removed, it's setting a clear "no gays allowed" sorta vibe, whereas changing the ending, or adding bits on after doesn't have any such connotations

I'm sure there's about 57 emails complaining that the ending was garbage and another 12 listing the lies made regarding it pre and post release for every gay bashing e-mail, but hey- what matters is that EA can paint their customers in as negative a light as possible while deflecting attention from their recent failures and shattered public image.

I'd love to see what these emails say. Something along the lines of:

"Dear heathens. I've never played this game, but I hear it has gayness in it and I'm worried that my 2 year old daughter who also has not played the game might catch lesbianism. I think you should remove all gayness from the game or at least allow the gay and lesbian characters to be shot out into space so they may repent in a vacuum. Yours Truly, a very concerned Mother of one"

I think at this point boycotting ST:TOR and ME3 wouldnt be a real issue since hey've both had to have made enough money to cover their costs at least tree times over.

anyway im just gonna say tat youre free to think whatever you want, but just remember your kids learn from you and if they're going to be this ignorant, you may as well not bother to teach them anything and just let them become self centered bigoted assholes against EVERYONE (race/gender/religion/sexuality) because theres no point in being bigoted if youre not going all in.

cpt blackamar:

albino boo:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

When you DO NOT BUY THE PRODUCT TO BEGIN WITH you cannot boycott it. If i disagreed with the giant pink dildo company, i cannot boycott them because i do not buy the products. Similarly if you do not buy games you cannot boycott them.

Why is their point of view any less valid than that of those poeple complaining about the ending of ME3? I don't I agree with it, but they are as just entitled to express to their point of view as anyone else. How do you know the private opinions of other players, have you empirical data saying only liberals buy games? My experience of online play seems to suggest that there is rampant homophobia amongst hardcore gamers. I don't think there has been a day when I haven't heard some sort of homophobic insult when playing online.

Because last I checked no-one could really associate themselves with being a disappointing ending, whereas plenty of people can associate themselves with being gay, because they are. By trying to get the gay part removed, it's setting a clear "no gays allowed" sorta vibe, whereas changing the ending, or adding bits on after doesn't have any such connotations

I was waiting for someone to try and draw parallels between the controversy with the ending and this. I knew it would creep up somewhere, just maybe not on these forums.

Simonoly:

cpt blackamar:

albino boo:

I was waiting for someone to try and draw parallels between the controversy with the ending and this. I knew it would creep up somewhere, just maybe not on these forums.

I was hoping that it wouldn't be here too, but plenty of people just don't get why people are angry at the ME3 ending, and so assume that their anger is as valid as those of bigots. All I say is listen to the arguments made, and you'll see the difference.

Okay, so we take out gay sex, then what? Do we have to take out xenophilic sex as well? Because that will not stand, I promise you. If femshep can't tap Garrus' hot flesh, or manshep can't score with Tali, and Han can't hook up with Chewy, then what??

Hold fast, EA. It makes sense to stand up for one of the few ways we don't hate you. Give us more!

Sadly, the flaw in there logic that you can't boycott what you don't buy anyways, is the same logical flaw that gamers have when they boycott anything expect backwards. You're not boycotting something when you buy it regardless.

Well, if Fox news hated mass effect before, they must definitely hate it now. Considering from what I know of Fox News, there may be a chance this will end up as a topic. Though this might not happen, according to the previous show, the expert was from Spike TV, (Meaning he may have not even been from EA, or Bioware or from the mass effect development team). but that's off topic, however considering how the last guy was treated, I'm betting no one would agree to come for a (with loads of sarcasm) fair and reasonable debate. (I will let you finish snickering).

Idiots have access to email accounts.

In other news, water is wet.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

I think they're trying to rope people who MIGHT buy it into not buying it. Which is even funnier.

In any event, not half bad for the most reviled company in America. Nice job, whiners!

EA's had gay characters since 1996; Sim Copter, & notably The Sims.

Haters can go stick a dildo up their butts.

How convenient, just in the middle of a PR crysis.

Undeadpool:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

I think they're trying to rope people who MIGHT buy it into not buying it. Which is even funnier.

In any event, not half bad for the most reviled company in America. Nice job, whiners!

I didn't vote for them.

Audacity:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

So let me get this straight. To boycott a company you first have to buy it's product?

That doesn't sound retarded to you?

I boycott games like CoD and the likes and I never buy them because...well I boycott them. That's the point of a boycott.

Been a long time since 7th grade social studies but as i remember it in order to boycott something you need to have been a buyer to begin with. You don't just roll up to a market you just found, say "i am boycotting you" and expect to have any fucks given. Even if the definition is different than i remember, a boycott when you never participated in the market is hollow and ineffective as hell.

I agree that the lack of tolerance towards all sorts of diversity in our culture is wrong.
I believe lot of 'social watchdogs' have a skewed world view.

I think the timing of EA making a scene on the issue isn't coincidental.
EA's underhand business practices are becoming known to the masses and they need a sympathy vote.

BanZeus:

punipunipyo:
I think there is nothing wrong with gay.. however, this game DOES rub it in players' face about the galaxy being "gay-okay" when one of your crew member is gay, and there are many cut scenes of him talking about his husband, and few other side walk NPCs that chats about their Lez/Gay relationships... I think this game is a little bit over done with the Gay thing... too much information, I know it's to show the whole open gender thing, but there is too much focus on the gay ones...

"I think there is nothing wrong with black.. however, this game DOES rub it in players' face about the galaxy being "black-okay" when one of your crew member is black..."

WOW, perspective, I like, thanks for the heads up, now I see... my statement IS a little antagonizing eh? sorry about that, I see what you mean...

Basically, no other games (that I know of) treats this subject so... boldly; normally; bluntly; openly?(donno how to describe)... but sending hate mail is just unprofessional... I think they should just sent 5000 cupcakes with same sex symbols on top, (plus cherry)... or something...

why does this matter its a game are not entertained. this is old find something else to be afraid of and hate for no reason. you just seem like a child afraid to go to the doctor for the first time. thinking it something evil and sinister when you actually go and take a look it not. it just something different. people need to calm there tits

I'm guessing hate and bigotry are part of this goups family values.

Azex:
its 2012...this is still an issue with some people?

more than you'd think. It's kind of sad.

Grey Day for Elcia:

Bigotry and hatred are a thousand times worse than homosexuality could ever be.

Buddy, I think it's more that those parents weren't lazy enough.

Call me an optimist, but I figure a blank slate will eventually realize that racism and bigotry don't make any sense. However, if a parent works hard to imbue in their offspring a determined hatred of something, or a belief that something is inherently evil, there ain't much any of us can do to change that.

I almost hate to say it, but the best way to deafen EA's ears to this sort of outcry is to stuff them full of money. Anti-consumer practices be damned.

ReiverCorrupter:

Jon Shannow:
I still struggle to understand what they have against gays. I mean The Greeks and Romans were okay with homosexuality and they did pretty well for themselves.

They were also into pedophilia...

As a Classics student I can say that the idea that the Ancient Greeks and Romans were completely fine with homosexuality is just not true. I wish they were that tolerant, but their attitude to it was a bit more complicated than that!

But yeah. Homophobes bad. If you don't want a gay character, don't make your character gay, or just don't buy the game. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Kind of weird how EA is getting crap for publishing a game with a Homosexual relationship. You think Bioware would be getting the hate It is their game after all. It mentions Bioware in the article, but nothing about getting any letters.
On that note why is Alenko suddenly gay in ME3? He was a romance option for Female Shepard in the first, if he was Bisexual the whole time then why couldn't I have a same sex romance in the first game? Always confused me.

albino boo:

Why is their point of view any less valid than that of those poeple complaining about the ending of ME3? I don't I agree with it, but they are as just entitled to express to their point of view as anyone else.

Validity of one's point of view is orthogonal to one's right to express it. Hate groups like WAR, KKK, FRC, and FFA's views are, AFAIC, invalid in that they have no sound basis in rationality, reason, or even legitimate self-interest. Just ignorance, bigotry, and a weak sense of identity which amounts to nothing more than herd mentality, getting validation from surounding themselves with the same sort of simple-minded assholes that they are.

As you said, though, they do have the right to their POV, as pathetic as it is. That's the real cost of free speech.

I would only protest the gay relationship option in Mass Effect 3 if it caused the ending.

Well, at least EA have stood up against the Homophobes, but for how long?

Zachary Amaranth:
I'm always glad to see important issues like fake gay marriages in a fake universe get the attention they deserve.

but is IS important

I swear when Cortez mentioned that he had a husband I fainted so hard fom the shock that I hit my head the endge of my desk

I now suffer from sevre neck injuries and PTSD, the shock of hearing that a MAN could love another MAN has given me mental scars I dont think i could ever recover from

punipunipyo:
I think there is nothing wrong with gay.. however, this game DOES rub it in players' face about the galaxy being "gay-okay" when one of your crew member is gay, and there are many cut scenes of him talking about his husband, and few other side walk NPCs that chats about their Lez/Gay relationships... I think this game is a little bit over done with the Gay thing... too much information, I know it's to show the whole open gender thing, but there is too much focus on the gay ones...

contradicitng yourself there

its not "too much info" he doest give you detailed description of his bedrroom activites

he talks about his relationship like any other normal in love couple, weather you like or it the Idea of equality is if hypothetically I were gay I could say "oh yeah, my girlfreind and I went to the mountains for a holiday, it was great" without somone going "your gay??? TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!"

you obviously do have a problem with it if you cant handle some guy talking about his relationship where the only difference is "my husband"

Someone needs to do a meme thing for this...
"Calls self 'Family Research Council'
Ignores actual research on homosexuals and families"

Every time you engage in a gay romance scene, a Reaper kills a kitten. On an unrelated note, the ASPCA estimates that there are around 70 million stray cats in the USA. More gay romance scenes?

Andy Chalk:

...when FRC President Tony Perkins said "the biggest threat to the empire may be homosexual activists" and called on his audience to speak out against them.

That statement right there tells you everything you need to know about the true motivations, purpose, and rationale behind the FRC. This has nothing to do with values or protecting children. It's not even about hate and bigotry. It's 100% about power and control, power and control over the hearts and minds of the masses.

these people really dont know how to respect other people, do they?! had to be a bunch of hysterical mothers who think that way. im pretty sure they never have done a proper research about these games if same sex relationships is forced or not. do they check even the damn age on the box? guess not. they are simply to stubborn.

hell, im not fond of gay people either, but i dont have a problem with it in games or movies. in ME3 i know its optional, so im not worried about it one bit.

If the original writer wrote all of his character to be bisexual, then let him write them all to be bisexual, even if it is horrible writing and handling of sexuality in a half-baked attempt to please everyone.

Although, I suppose it is sort of like complaining about the ending and demanding he change it.

I wonder why people are so pissed about a piece of digital data that,s not even forced on them.
and what about other games? in FONV you had the option to be gay or bi and even in Dragon Age how was that okay and this all of a sudden bad?

Oh good. I was wondering when someone would complain. And glad it's someone funny again, oh ye parents who are worrying about such things in an M rated game.

Right, because EA is going to bend to the will of several thousand crusty old hypocrites that would never buy their products anyway.

Since it would be considered inhumane to exile all these pricks to Antarctica I would just as soon ignore them, give them no press until they go away.

I think that it's hilarious that they threatened to boycot the game, especially because none of them would have purchased it anyway.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here